2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone concerned by this new (and much lower ranking) at spot #46? (check out the US News Rankings for 2018)
Not to sure what to make of this but seems a bit concerning?
Yeah you’re right UMN is automatically the worst place to go this year cuz of that change, please give up your seat in the class ;) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Contacted U of M Duluth. The admissions committee has already met to assign numerical scores to the applicants on the waitlist. I’m not sure when they’ll be sending the rankings out though. Hopefully sometime this week.

Contacted U of M Duluth. The admissions committee has already met to assign numerical scores to the applicants on the waitlist. I’m not sure when they’ll be sending the rankings out though. Hopefully sometime this week.

Who wants to take one for the team and call TC? :love:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my app from the waitlist. I vibed much better with another school and the students there. Although the school I chose is unranked, they seem to put a lot of focus on student health and wellness than what I saw in Minnesota. Good luck to everyone here!

Reactions: 1 users
The people of SDN will pay you a few bucks on Venmo :))
Why not just call or email? It's likely not going to impact you negatively, if anything it just shows your continued interest in the school...

Why not just call or email? It's likely not going to impact you negatively, if anything it just shows your continued interest in the school...
I know they get sick of the calls and it gets in the way of them from actually getting the work done to get decisions out if there are some. Also, the dissatisfaction of them having no news and me having to be super polite like gets wearing. I’ve been the one to call 2-3 other times to a different school and being told nothing just gets frustrating.. I want to know but in the end it won’t make much difference. If TC can’t also pull a nonresident tuition waiver for me like Duluth did I won’t be attending anyways. The waiver saves me 76K over 4 years, so paying nonresident at TC would be like paying an extra 38 thousand a year each year for M1 and M2.

I know they get sick of the calls and it gets in the way of them from actually getting the work done to get decisions out if there are some. Also, the dissatisfaction of them having no news and me having to be super polite like gets wearing. I’ve been the one to call 2-3 other times to a different school and being told nothing just gets frustrating.. I want to know but in the end it won’t make much difference. If TC can’t also pull a nonresident tuition waiver for me like Duluth did I won’t be attending anyways. The waiver saves me 76K over 4 years, so paying nonresident at TC would be like paying an extra 38 thousand a year each year for M1 and M2.
How does that waiver work specifically? As students transfer from the Duluth program to the TC programs for years 3-4. Is the waiver in place all four years?

How does that waiver work specifically? As students transfer from the Duluth program to the TC programs for years 3-4. Is the waiver in place all four years?
Yeah the waiver is for all 4 years. Both campuses offer then, the website says they each offer 10, but TC has like 3x more OOS students where Duluth doesn’t usually have 10, last year they had 8.

Ok so I just called TC and they said that most likely we will not hear anything about the WL until after traffic day. I asked if it's likely a WL candidate will be accepted prior to then and was told "most likely no." Shortly after April 30th, they will release the ranked alternate list and the phone number you can call to continuously check your position on the list.

They were very nice btw.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok so I just called TC and they said that most likely we will not hear anything about the WL until after traffic day. I asked if it's likely a WL candidate will be accepted prior to then and was told "most likely no." Shortly after April 30th, they will release the ranked alternate list and the phone number you can call to continuously check your position on the list.

They were very nice btw.
Thank you! That’s the impression the email gave but a lot of us were hoping it wouldn’t be nearer to May 15 like they said.

They were very nice btw.

Thanks so much for calling!!!

Ugh, more waiting. But at least we now know to sit tight til after traffic day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about movement off the highest priority pool at Duluth?

I received my acceptance from the highest priority pool in mid February having interviewed early December. And then a friend of mine who interviewed early January receive their acceptance from that pool the same day.

And I maybe wrong here but I believe Duluth had to give out 60 acceptances by March 15 per AAMC rules.

Just got an email from Duluth about my place in the waitlist. Unfortunately I’m in the 3rd section below 35 (whatever that means). So my hope ends there. Best of luck to you all.

Just got an email from Duluth about my place in the waitlist. Unfortunately I’m in the 3rd section below 35 (whatever that means). So my hope ends there. Best of luck to you all.
Sorry to hear that :(. I'm in the same boat.

Are you sitting on any other wait-lists?

Also in the third section of the Duluth waitlist. It's a bummer, but at least now I know to get ramped up for next cycle I guess?? At least the waiting is done.

I got the second section of the waitlist at Duluth. The waiting continues...

I got the second section of the waitlist at Duluth. The waiting continues...
From being in the high priority pool after your interview? Wow, tough year man.. if the third section is rank 35+, what’s the line between the first two tiers?

From being in the high priority pool after your interview? Wow, tough year man.. if the third section is rank 35+, what’s the line between the first two tiers?

Second tier (where I stand) is 21-35. I guess by default tier one is < 21 then. As stated above, the waiting game continues...

Wonder if there is any chance Duluth would be willing to tell us our actual rank within the pool if we were in the third section?

Wonder if there is any chance Duluth would be willing to tell us our actual rank within the pool if we were in the third section?
As of now the class is filled with 65 students. They cannot tell you your exact numerical ranking. The range of students accepted off the alternate list in the past 5 years is 12-35 (so nobody in the third section) so a numerical score if you were in that third section would be helpful. I asked about where the class was trending this year and didn't get an exact answer so if it's looking closer to 12 or 35 they do not know yet.

If only a significant chunk of section 1 has alternative acceptances and opt to go elsewhere... a man can dream

Happy Monday! Anyone heard anything recently? ;)

Been monitoring the FB page for TC and noticed someone I know who was recently added. I asked for their acceptance date and it was sometime in January (straight acceptance, they were never waitlisted). So now we know - TC did give acceptances in 2018.

Been monitoring the FB page for TC and noticed someone I know who was recently added. I asked for their acceptance date and it was sometime in January (straight acceptance, they were never waitlisted). So now we know - TC did give acceptances in 2018.
Accepted in January or accepted from a January/February interview date?

Accepted in January or accepted from a January/February interview date?

Yeah there was one post on here of someone who had gotten accepted in January -- but from a 2017 interview date. The big mystery still remains if they have accepted anyone from a 2018 interview date haha

Accepted in January

Yeah there was one post on here of someone who had gotten accepted in January -- but from a 2017 interview date. The big mystery still remains if they have accepted anyone from a 2018 interview date haha

Yeah, I am dying to know of anyone accepted from the Jan/Feb interview dates. There were eight weeks worth of them. This appears to be the only year that they didn't have any acceptances posted from those dates. All prior years on the forums show acceptances from those dates.

Yeah, I am dying to know of anyone accepted from the Jan/Feb interview dates. There were eight weeks worth of them. This appears to be the only year that they didn't have any acceptances posted from those dates. All prior years on the forums show acceptances from those dates.

Oh yeah good point.

UMN, pls come through with the waitlist movement :drowning:

Oh yeah good point.

UMN, pls come through with the waitlist movement :drowning:
I just keep wondering if they even reviewed any of right away us or just put the notes together into a big stack and said "LOL let's just wait and see if anyone leaves our class". Only thing that makes me doubt that approach is the few rejections from the 2018 interviews, including 1-2 from people who were WL'd earlier.

Hypothetical. Student is accepted to school A and on a waitlist for school B. The student prefers school B. April 30 roles around and they have to (?) accept at school A. Does this now disqualify them from attending school B? Or could school B come knocking middle of May and the student chooses them, thus opening up a spot for school A's waitlist peps?

Hypothetical. Student is accepted to school A and on a waitlist for school B. The student prefers school B. April 30 roles around and they have to (?) accept at school A. Does this now disqualify them from attending school B? Or could school B come knocking middle of May and the student chooses them, thus opening up a spot for school A's waitlist peps?

School B can still offer the student an acceptance. After April 30, if the above case happens the student will be given a time window (I believe 5 days or a week though it could be less depending on start times) to select only 1 school.

Thank you, I understand. Just trying to figure out how as many people as possible can get out of the UMD accepted class/waitlist

Thank you, I understand. Just trying to figure out how as many people as possible can get out of the UMD accepted class/waitlist

I heard that a good number of spots at UMD open when people get off of the waitlist at UMN-TC. Not sure how true this is or to what extent it happens, though.

I heard that a good number of spots at UMD open when people get off of the waitlist at UMN-TC. Not sure how true this is or to what extent it happens, though.

I’ve heard the same but I’m sure it’s variable by year... Fingers crossed man.

Definitely agree with that logic, but TC movement looks bad this year since no one appears to have been accepted in the last 8 weeks of interviews. They must already have a pretty full class.

cGPA 3.58, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 516, ~300 clinical volunteering hours. Eagle scout. In state applicant. Should I be as worried about getting in as I am?

cGPA 3.58, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 516, ~300 clinical volunteering hours. Eagle scout. In state applicant. Should I be as worried about getting in as I am?

It depends on how your interview went! Were you waitlisted?

Withdrew my acceptance this week - the U is a great place! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know where we are on the Duluth alternate list? The alternate list was released on Tuesday, April 3rd so we're 2.5 weeks in, and to my knowledge the people that received acceptances have 4 weeks to decide. So the list should be moving pretty quick? Right? I contacted the Duluth office a couple times and they would not tell me how far they are through the alternate list and would not tell me if it's moving faster or slower than previous years.
Does anybody have an idea of where we are at on the list or how fast the list is moving? Or is it just a mystery?

Does anybody know where we are on the Duluth alternate list? The alternate list was released on Tuesday, April 3rd so we're 2.5 weeks in, and to my knowledge the people that received acceptances have 4 weeks to decide. So the list should be moving pretty quick? Right? I contacted the Duluth office a couple times and they would not tell me how far they are through the alternate list and would not tell me if it's moving faster or slower than previous years.
Does anybody have an idea of where we are at on the list or how fast the list is moving? Or is it just a mystery?

Second look is this week, and some current acceptees may drop after that, but there likely won't be movement until after traffic day. Try to forget about it until May 1.

There’s been 1-2 new students added to the facebook group in the last few days but I don’t know if they were waitlisted or just don’t use facebook. FYI if anyone is watching the facebook - they have been adding in more current M1s recently.
The class has like 58 people registered now, they wanted everyone to register by last week so they could start financial aid, but this number might not mean much. Idk if the early admission people (3) have been able to register or not yet either.

As said above, movement will be at the end of next week once people think on it after second look, and then into the week after as that’s May 1.

Second look is this week, and some current acceptees may drop after that, but there likely won't be movement until after traffic day. Try to forget about it until May 1.
I don't really know much about "traffic day". What is it and why is after May 1st a key time?