2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend and I, both admitted, have years of experience serving the poor. n=2
Make that n=3. My experiences volunteering at low income hospitals and with underserved populations were a heavy focus in both of my interviews (student and faculty).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for replying! Do you think that volunteering at the LAC+USC hospital would count as an experience with the underserved? Or would volunteering in an animal shelter and hospice compensate for the lack of underserved experience? I'm only asking because I volunteer at an animal shelter and hospice (in addition to other things), and Keck is definitely a dream of mine. I don't really have time anymore for other extracurriculars (if I desire to keep myself sane lol), but I also can't be ok with excluding myself from the potential Keck MD student pool by not having experience with the underserved. Yup, I know, I woke up to this dilemma of mine a little late (not time-wise but after committing to many other things already), but I still want to fix it!
Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for replying! Do you think that volunteering at the LAC+USC hospital would count as an experience with the underserved? Or would volunteering in an animal shelter and hospice compensate for the lack of underserved experience? I'm only asking because I volunteer at an animal shelter and hospice (in addition to other things), and Keck is definitely a dream of mine. I don't really have time anymore for other extracurriculars (if I desire to keep myself sane lol), but I also can't be ok with excluding myself from the potential Keck MD student pool by not having experience with the underserved. Yup, I know, I woke up to this dilemma of mine a little late (not time-wise but after committing to many other things already), but I still want to fix it!
Thank you!!

I’m all for animal rights, but, unfortunately, I don’t think animal shelter volunteering would count as serving the underserved. I also don’t think standard hospital volunteering (ie showing people to rooms, wheeling patients out of the hospital) would count. Hospice definitely would, and I believe it would be an interesting think to talk about.

Also, experience with the underserved is valued not only by Keck, but by every medical school. It would benefit you greatly to dedicate a significant amount of time (ie years, if you can) to serving some population of the poor / marginalized, such as those in hospice, those experiencing homelessness, or those suffering from mental health issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m all for animal rights, but, unfortunately, I don’t think animal shelter volunteering would count as serving the underserved. I also don’t think standard hospital volunteering (ie showing people to rooms, wheeling patients out of the hospital) would count. Hospice definitely would, and I believe it would be an interesting think to talk about.

Also, experience with the underserved is valued not only by Keck, but by every medical school. It would benefit you greatly to dedicate a significant amount of time (ie years, if you can) to serving some population of the poor / marginalized, such as those in hospice, those experiencing homelessness, or those suffering from mental health issues.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
I definitely agree with you. I had a feeling animal shelter wouldn’t reallt count but I just wanted to hear someone else tell it to me.

I guess there’s no way around it; soup kitchen or another help clearly for the underserved is the only way to show I can work with poor people and know what I’m getting myself into etc.

Thank you for your comments Hemingway!!

Hey guys,

Just figured I'd updated yall on financial aid. I called yesterday and they told me they were in the process of transferring FASFA info onto their system. I checked my FAST portal today and it now says they received my FASFA and my application is under review. Just thought I'd let you all know in case you were worried like me :p

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone who applied to the HTE program and was accepted to Keck, receive any news about acceptance into the HTE program?

Hey, I’ve been lurking a little bit on this thread for a while. I was wondering if anyone has any insight onto the waitlist movement here

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when waitlist movement occurs? Do we send a brief letter of interest/intent after April 30th?

Does anyone know when waitlist movement occurs? Do we send a brief letter of interest/intent after April 30th?

You may choose to send a brief letter of intent if you are currently accepted to another school.

Based on last year’s thread, there is intermittent but slow waitlist movement.

Did anyone who applied to the HTE program and was accepted to Keck, receive any news about acceptance into the HTE program?

Just FYI the director told me everyone who has wanted to get in in the past, has gotten in. It's not selective

You may choose to send a brief letter of intent if you are currently accepted to another school.

Based on last year’s thread, there is intermittent but slow waitlist movement.

Do you guys remember what was said regarding the format of the LOI? I think I remember Dean Arias saying that it can be as short as one sentence (that she even prefers it short) but I could be wrong. Are you guys going to keep it short and sweet or reiterate your interest, etc. in Keck as well?

Do you guys remember what was said regarding the format of the LOI? I think I remember Dean Arias saying that it can be as short as one sentence (that she even prefers it short) but I could be wrong. Are you guys going to keep it short and sweet or reiterate your interest, etc. in Keck as well?

I recall she wants it super brief, like a single sentence saying "I am currently holding an acceptance at School X but would like to attend USC".

I recall she wants it super brief, like a single sentence saying "I am currently holding an acceptance at School X but would like to attend USC".

Do you guys know if they'll consider a LOI even if my only acceptances are from DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
^ I would say no. After April 30th, Dean Arias can see what other MD schools waitlisted candidates have gotten into. She will not see that you have gotten into a DO school, so she will assume that you will attend USC if taken off the waitlist because it looks to her as though you have no other MD acceptances.

How much do you think it matters where you're holding another acceptance at? I know Dean Arias mentioned something about state schools, but what about other similarly or higher ranked schools?

Anybody know when they release financial aid packages? I know it will mostly be all loans but it would be nice to know a breakdown

How much do you think it matters where you're holding another acceptance at? I know Dean Arias mentioned something about state schools, but what about other similarly or higher ranked schools?
If the school your accepted at is higher ranked than USC, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt

Anybody know when they release financial aid packages? I know it will mostly be all loans but it would be nice to know a breakdown

Just emailed them about this yesterday!

Fall 2018 financial aid will be processed starting in mid to late May 2018, and at that time we will download your FAFSA from the Department of Education. If there is anything missing, we will contact you via your USC FAST Account. Please continue to check your USC FAST Account for updates and messages.

First Year Medical Students are eligible for up to $42,722 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loans per academic year. If you need additional funds, you can apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate or Professional Students at studentloans.gov. USC does not process Graduate PLUS Loans for multiple semesters. Graduate or Professional Students who are interested in a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, must apply each semester they want it, typically about a month before classes begin for the respective semester. You can borrow up to the Cost of Attendance per semester with a combination of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Graduate or Professional Students.
There is no need based aid (grants) for Graduate or Professional Students. If you are interested in scholarships, please contact Keck Admissions directly. If you have billing or payment plan questions, please contact Student Financial Services at (213) 740-7471 or you can visit their website:
Student Financial Services | USC

Just withdrew my application and acceptance. Hopefully someone else ends up with my spot! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my application and acceptance. Hopefully someone else ends up with my spot! Good luck to everyone!

How did you go about withdrawing? Did you just send an email to the admissions office? I too will be withdrawing my acceptance

How did you go about withdrawing? Did you just send an email to the admissions office? I too will be withdrawing my acceptance

Yup. I said this:

Dear Admissions Committee (the office of admissions responded so idk who to address it to)

Thank you for the opportunity to attend the Keck School of Medicine of USC. I am writing to inform you I am withdrawing my application and acceptance.

Respectfully,

Name
AMCAS #

Received an email telling me my financial aid package had been updated. Logged in to check. It went up $300. Not a big number, but man... so savage.

By the way - can any current students speak to whether the COA is inflated? I feel like it would be possible to live on a good deal less than what the financial aid office estimated.

Received an email telling me my financial aid package had been updated. Logged in to check. It went up $300. Not a big number, but man... so savage.

By the way - can any current students speak to whether the COA is inflated? I feel like it would be possible to live on a good deal less than what the financial aid office estimated.

I’m not a current student but I do live in West LA and one could live comfortably here for $25k/year. And I think the COL around Keck would be less than West LA. So I do think their estimate ($32k/year?) is high, unless you have a luxurious lifestyle.

Last edited:

I believe at another school they said that they set the COA on the high side because you can only take out loans up to the COA determined by the school. So they don't want to by accident low ball it. Want to give you the opportunity to live on the more expensive side. You don't have to take out as much as they say, you just have the option to.

I believe at another school they said that they set the COA on the high side because you can only take out loans up to the COA determined by the school. So they don't want to by accident low ball it. Want to give you the opportunity to live on the more expensive side. You don't have to take out as much as they say, you just have the option to.

I’m pretty sure you can also return money within a certain time period after it’s been disbursed, in case you end up not needing as much as you’ve requested.

For real, I got excited thinking I got some grant or something. Savage for sure...
I'm def gonna be living on less than COA, gotta save some dollas

Possibly really dumb LOI question: "After April 30th" means we can submit on May 1 right? or can we send it on April 30?

Possibly really dumb LOI question: "After April 30th" means we can submit on May 1 right? or can we send it on April 30?

I think they want you to submit your LOI starting May 1st since by then everyone would have made their decision regarding multiple acceptances.

On interview day Dr. Arias said April 30th we can send it, but in the waitlist email it says May 1. Honestly I don't think it matters, she stressed the email being brief above anything else. So, I don't think 4/30 vs 5/1 really matters too much.

Do we need to send a LOI if we haven't been accepted elsewhere?

Do we need to send a LOI if we haven't been accepted elsewhere?

no, Dean Arias said to only send it if you have other acceptances. I believe she said the intent is assumed, otherwise?

Sad to see you go! Best of luck to you wherever you decide to go!
To you as well!! This past week has been a s***show for me. I honestly never anticipated being fortunate enough to choose where to attend nor the kind of stress that accompanies it. Perhaps our paths may cross come away rotations or for residency interviews :).

Reactions: 2 users
Any of my fellow waitlistd friends out there? :) we can do this!! Thank you also to others announcing their withdrawals so that we may feel some hope

Reactions: 9 users
anyone know who we e-mail today about the waitlist situation if we have an acceptance?

Anyone still not have their financial aid info? The financial aid portal says my fafsa hasn’t been submitted.

Will probably follow up with the finaid office but I was just curious.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything yet? Does USC actually wait till summer to start accepting off the list or do they just say that so people don’t get antsy?

Last year's thread had its first waitlist acceptance posted on May 16th if that helps you guys feel better!

got accepted from alternate list this past week~

Reactions: 4 users
Hi question. If I got off the waitlist at another school just now, that means I can send my LOI to Keck now correct?

Would sending that LOI hurt my chances of staying in my accepted school's roster, or will they not know I sent to LOI until Keck (hopefully) accepts me and I say yes??