2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't say the "majority" of the class comes from the waitlist. A decent portion does but it's definitely not the majority. I would say somewhere in the ballpark of 20%?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That was what I was wondering too, but they worked on the committee for many years and said that they didn’t go down the waitlist as much. Weighing their word againist what I’ve heard at the interview is conflicting. Does anyone have a ballpark number of the waitlist students accepted?

Students on interview day say that 1/3 of the class comes from waitlist!

Students on interview day say that 1/3 of the class comes from waitlist!
I'd say about a third seems right for my class, but it might depend on the year too. It's possible that this is an odd year with much less waitlist movement. Hard to know unless you're actually on the admissions team sadly. There's been quite a few new people on the facebook group but not sure whether that means anything, it could just be early acceptances joining the group late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning off waitlist via email, LizzyM 78 OOS.

For all of you who chose Southwestern how did you decide? I didn't have a stellar interview day experience due mainly to a very unenthusiastic tour guide and and a neurotic neuro-gunner who sat at our table at lunch and didn't have a positive thing to say about anything at all. I am really excited to have this acceptance and was very excited to interview at this school but kind of feel at a loss as for how to make the decision on whether to attend or not due to how my interview day went. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

For all of you who chose Southwestern how did you decide? I didn't have a stellar interview day experience due mainly to a very unenthusiastic tour guide and and a neurotic neuro-gunner who sat at our table at lunch and didn't have a positive thing to say about anything at all. I am really excited to have this acceptance and was very excited to interview at this school but kind of feel at a loss as for how to make the decision on whether to attend or not due to how my interview day went. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

So sorry the tour guide and student didn't give a great impression about the school. :( I really love UT Southwestern, I can elaborate in a PM if you'd like! I haven't really experienced the gunner mentality at all -- there will be a few students at every school, but my class has been really collaborative and supportive as a whole.

If you're close by you can also request to have another tour since you didn't get to go to MS0 weekend!

So sorry the tour guide and student didn't give a great impression about the school. :( I really love UT Southwestern, I can elaborate in a PM if you'd like! I haven't really experienced the gunner mentality at all -- there will be a few students at every school, but my class has been really collaborative and supportive as a whole.

If you're close by you can also request to have another tour since you didn't get to go to MS0 weekend!
Hi Skittsie, thank you so much for the response, I really appreciate it and I would love a pm with more information! Also that is a great idea about taking a second tour, I'm already planning it tentatively for next weekend even though I have to fly in. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got off the waitlist! Did y'all happen to have a respond by date to accept/decline the offer?

Hi Skittsie, thank you so much for the response, I really appreciate it and I would love a pm with more information! Also that is a great idea about taking a second tour, I'm already planning it tentatively for next weekend even though I have to fly in. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

If you contact the admissions office and you're coming in on a weekday, they can set you up with a current student to hang around with for the day!

Anyone else’s portal no longer show their application or interview? It looks as if I haven’t even applied

Anyone else’s portal no longer show their application or interview? It looks as if I haven’t even applied
They probably reset their portal since the new TMDSAS application is available, mine is the same.

Is it time to pack it in? Is their class full after this last wave today?

Hey guys! I got in off the waitlist yesterday morning as an OOS student!! (LizzyM 76.6) So pumped, UTSW is my top choice *tears of joy*

But I do have one thing holding me back... the requirement for 2 semesters of orgo :/ Does anyone know how strict the school is on having students conform to the prereqs specified on their website? At the suggestion of my college premed advisor, I took 2 semesters gen chem and 1 semester orgo, but UTSW requires the other way around. This is the only prereq I'm missing. I have been out of school for 2 years now working full time in a lab, and I'm not really looking forward to taking an orgo II class this summer. Do y'all think I should just call the admissions office?

Hey guys! I got in off the waitlist yesterday morning as an OOS student!! (LizzyM 76.6) So pumped, UTSW is my top choice *tears of joy*

But I do have one thing holding me back... the requirement for 2 semesters of orgo :/ Does anyone know how strict the school is on having students conform to the prereqs specified on their website? At the suggestion of my college premed advisor, I took 2 semesters gen chem and 1 semester orgo, but UTSW requires the other way around. This is the only prereq I'm missing. I have been out of school for 2 years now working full time in a lab, and I'm not really looking forward to taking an orgo II class this summer. Do y'all think I should just call the admissions office?
Yes, definitely call them and ask. Find a summer course that ends before their orientation starts, on August 6, 2018.
I checked the UTSW prereqs just now:
  • One year of organic chemistry for science majors, including corresponding laboratory experience in both semesters.
  • Must earn grades of C or better
  • Courses must be applicable toward a baccalaureate degree in any traditional science field regardless of student's major
  • Courses for non-science majors or health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, or allied health sciences) are not accepted.
  • Community college classes would be accepted, but online class MAYBE, on a case by case basis (ask first if you are considering this).

Is it time to pack it in? Is their class full after this last wave today?

ITS NOT OVER TILL JUNE 1!!! We gotta be optimistic! I know it’s hard but we gotta stay hopeful. Just because we weren’t in the first batch of waitlist acceptees, doesn’t mean we won’t ever get in off the waitlist!!!

Reactions: 5 users
ITS NOT OVER TILL JUNE 1!!! We gotta be optimistic! I know it’s hard but we gotta stay hopeful. Just because we weren’t in the first batch of waitlist acceptees, doesn’t mean we won’t ever get in off the waitlist!!!
U give me life

I was short a biology class when I was accepted and I had to take it (only school that requires 4 semesters of biology and 1 semester of biochemistry, and the biochem can't sub for a bio). They let me take an online, community college class, but it was kind of a pain (but worth it for UTSW!) I would call them to clarify but I would expect that you'd need to take it. Congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
I was short a biology class when I was accepted and I had to take it (only school that requires 4 semesters of biology and 1 semester of biochemistry, and the biochem can't sub for a bio). They let me take an online, community college class, but it was kind of a pain (but worth it for UTSW!) I would call them to clarify but I would expect that you'd need to take it. Congrats on the acceptance!

In case this causes anyone to panic, I believe you can only use a 2nd semester of biochemistry if you want it to count as one of your biology semesters. Although, if your degree requires that much biochemistry then you've probably already fulfilled 4 semesters of biology from other coursework.

Very sorry you didn't have a great experience around your interview. I second what Skittsie says about making your own MS0 weekend whenever you can organize that. After that if you still feel that this isn't a place you'd be happy in med school, don't come (if there's another place you'd be happier at), but I really hope we can turn this around for you! I've had nothing but great experiences here.

Reactions: 1 users
Here to report for those still waiting. Received an acceptance offer yesterday, but a few minutes later another school made me an aid offer I cannot refuse (eerie timing.) Hope it goes off to one of you!

Here to report for those still waiting. Received an acceptance offer yesterday, but a few minutes later another school made me an aid offer I cannot refuse (eerie timing.) Hope it goes off to one of you!

Thank you for posting! Congratulations!!

UTSW might match or exceed it if you ask :D

PS congratulations that's awesome :)

Very sorry you didn't have a great experience around your interview. I second what Skittsie says about making your own MS0 weekend whenever you can organize that. After that if you still feel that this isn't a place you'd be happy in med school, don't come (if there's another place you'd be happier at), but I really hope we can turn this around for you! I've had nothing but great experiences here.
Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to take it. Skitsie also gave me some great advice and information and I feeling so much better about things now. Tomorrow I'm going to schedule a second look most likely for May 15th since thats when flights are most affordable and I am already so excited to visit and see it again with fresh eyes! Thanks again for reaching out, if you and skittsie are at all representative of the student body at Southwestern then I know for sure it is a great choice!

Yes, definitely call them and ask. Find a summer course that ends before their orientation starts, on August 6, 2018.
I checked the UTSW prereqs just now:
  • One year of organic chemistry for science majors, including corresponding laboratory experience in both semesters.
  • Must earn grades of C or better
  • Courses must be applicable toward a baccalaureate degree in any traditional science field regardless of student's major
  • Courses for non-science majors or health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, or allied health sciences) are not accepted.
  • Community college classes would be accepted, but online class MAYBE, on a case by case basis (ask first if you are considering this).

Thanks for the advice y'all! Update: I contacted admissions and told them about my situation. As suspected, I'll have to take orgo II this summer... currently applying to community college. Total bummer, but I think that it will be worth it because I really want to go here!

Also, on a totally different note, can anybody offer insight re. what kinds of resources are available to LGBT students at southwestern? I can't really find any info on the admissions website, which is a little troubling, but I assume there must be some clubs/student orgs. I was hoping that there would be a visible community + informal events etc. to meet other queer ppl! Thanks :)

Also, on a totally different note, can anybody offer insight re. what kinds of resources are available to LGBT students at southwestern? I can't really find any info on the admissions website, which is a little troubling, but I assume there must be some clubs/student orgs. I was hoping that there would be a visible community + informal events etc. to meet other queer ppl! Thanks :)

I'm not sure when you interviewed but we added a specific LGBTQ+ event during the interview weekends. We also have a fairly active PRIDE chapter! :) You can contact the officers of that group here if you want to learn more:

Special Interest Organizations

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students? Got in Friday OOS!

Reactions: 2 users

I’m flagrantly gay at UTSW and familiar with the resources available. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to take it. Skitsie also gave me some great advice and information and I feeling so much better about things now. Tomorrow I'm going to schedule a second look most likely for May 15th since thats when flights are most affordable and I am already so excited to visit and see it again with fresh eyes! Thanks again for reaching out, if you and skittsie are at all representative of the student body at Southwestern then I know for sure it is a great choice!
Sadly I'll be seeing patients in clinic all day on the 15th so I doubt I will meet you but I really hope you'll have a great experience this time!

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students? Got in Friday OOS!
UTSW Medical School Class of 2022

PRIDE at UT Southwestern

September 2019, lol hopefully at least one more round before June 1.
I'd assume at least one more round, possibly 2 more before June 1st. It would be helpful if someone who got in recently shared when they have to send their response back by. When I got in May 27th 2016, I only had one week to respond, but the round before me had more time (feel free to go check the older board if you're curious to know how much time, I can't remember anymore at this point).

For all the people wondering, at least last year, I got accepted off the waitlist on May 31 at 6:48 pm. So they probably like putting off sending emails as much as we do.

Reactions: 4 users
If you’re holding another acceptance, can you hear back on June 1? Or do they mean that may 31 is the last day to hear back?

Last year and the year before, people got off the waitlist around the 18th and 22th and then on May 31/1. There hasn't been any postings this year for this week. I'm not sure what's going on

Last year and the year before, people got off the waitlist around the 18th and 22th and then on May 31/1. There hasn't been any postings this year for this week. I'm not sure what's going on
It seems like things are moving much more slowly this cycle. That means either there will be much less waitlist movement, the pace has been a little different this year for one reason or another, or fewer students are using SDN so WL movement is happening we just aren't hearing about it here.

just our luck that this cycle has to be the year with minimal waitlist movement :/

I think that or not active SDNers are getting in off the waitlist, so don't lose hope yet!