2017-2018 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WARNING THIS POST IS VERY FRANK AND HONEST (I DONT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE): I was VERY turned off by the lack of structure with the education. 12-5p Tues-Fri is dedicated to 'self-learning', they said they give you topics they want you to study on your own in your own way (they even suggested YOUTUBE) but you could just spend the time working out, tanning, getting a massage, etc. It seemed frankly like they just don't have enough staff and dont have enough professors (they only have 8-12) to dedicate to teaching. They don't have cadavers, don't have computers, etc.. It seemed like a very empty shell school. Not sure where the 55K a year goes to...

Our group was told they had 25 cadavers....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current student here, we have cadavers and plenty of professors. They will also be hiring more as future classes enter. I enjoy the self-learning time as I do not have to spend the entire day being lectured at but this curriculum is definitely not for everyone. Our curriculum is based pretty much exactly on Hofstras and they have had great match lists as well as board scores.

WARNING THIS POST IS VERY FRANK AND HONEST (I DONT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE): I was VERY turned off by the lack of structure with the education. 12-5p Tues-Fri is dedicated to 'self-learning', they said they give you topics they want you to study on your own in your own way (they even suggested YOUTUBE) but you could just spend the time working out, tanning, getting a massage, etc. It seemed frankly like they just don't have enough staff and dont have enough professors (they only have 8-12) to dedicate to teaching. They don't have cadavers, don't have computers, etc.. It seemed like a very empty shell school. Not sure where the 55K a year goes to...

Reactions: 1 users
For people that interviewed in this cycle, has anyone heard back from the school? what's their turnaround time?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 weeks is what they stated during the 9/9 interview, so not until October 1st as per there website last year.

Completed secondary on 8/29, II request on 9/16. IS res. Anyone going on 10/20?!?

I submitted TMDSAS on 7/23 (a bit late for Texas schools, I realized too late) and submitted the secondary the same day I received it but still haven't heard from this school. TMDSAS only sent out my materials on 8/29, but I'm still anxiously awaiting any kind of feedback from Texas schools other than "we got your application." *sigh*

I submitted TMDSAS on 7/23 (a bit late for Texas schools, I realized too late) and submitted the secondary the same day I received it but still haven't heard from this school. TMDSAS only sent out my materials on 8/29, but I'm still anxiously awaiting any kind of feedback from Texas schools other than "we got your application." *sigh*
Incarnate Word uses the AACOMAS application, not TMDSAS.

Just for a brief update: I logged into their portal earlier just to check on my status and make sure I didn't have new messages, and it turned out that my payment never went through, so my application wasn't ever complete! You all probably already know this, but seriously make sure you get those payment confirmation emails and look out for the "we have received your application," emails. I'm applying to over 50 schools, so this one slipped through the cracks. Luckily I thought to check on my status, and they let me pay the app fee and move my application through. The admissions office was very nice and reassured me this will not penalize me in any way. But of course it's always better to be done earlier, so try to keep an eye on all the schools you're applying to! I have definitely learned my lesson.

Accepted this morning via email but will be turning down. OOS, interviewed on 09/08.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 9/9 and havent heard anything yet...starting to get concerned

Prepping for the interview helped. Don't listen to all the advice stating preparing for MMIs is pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed on 9/9 and havent heard anything yet...starting to get concerned
Judging by last year's forum, UIWSOM didn't hand out acceptances during the weekend, and many heard back throughout the following week.

Current student here, we have cadavers and plenty of professors. They will also be hiring more as future classes enter. I enjoy the self-learning time as I do not have to spend the entire day being lectured at but this curriculum is definitely not for everyone. Our curriculum is based pretty much exactly on Hofstras and they have had great match lists as well as board scores.

I wouldnt know for sure since Im not a med student at the moment, but I feel like a large majority of schools have a "self-learning" equivalent

Got an II 9/17. Interview date 10/20. Anyone else has an interview date on 10/20?

Has anyone else that interviewed on 9/9 heard anything? Ive been calling and they told me the admissions committee met on Thursday and then transfer me to admissions but then I get a voicemail and I didn't want to leave a message.

Has anyone else that interviewed on 9/9 heard anything? Ive been calling and they told me the admissions committee met on Thursday and then transfer me to admissions but then I get a voicemail and I didn't want to leave a message.

Interviewed on 9/9, got a Waitlist email the day the acceptances were sent out.

Jesus is Lord!! Just got my acceptance email

Sent from my Z981 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted via e-mail around 1:30 p.m. on 9/29! Interviewed 9/8. Applied with a low MCAT (sub-500) but decent GPA (3.75). Prepping for the interview helped. Don't listen to all the advice stating preparing for MMIs is pointless.

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing what you did to prep for the interview?

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing what you did to prep for the interview?
PM me. The format in the public message bar is getting a bit screwed up with some video links I'm adding.

Got an email saying that my application is still being considered and if they have space they will send an interview invite, but for now I won't get one. Disappointed, but at least its not a rejection. Good luck to those who have gotten interviews!

When were you complete and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted!! Interviewed 9/23 and got my acceptance in the morning on 10/13!! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back on interviews and acceptances!!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone sending a thank you email? I know they said that we could send them to admissions, but I feel a little funny about writing one after an MMI. I usually write them as a professional courtesy to thank the specific faculty member... but like isn't it a little much for after a MMI?

Anyone sending a thank you email? I know they said that we could send them to admissions, but I feel a little funny about writing one after an MMI. I usually write them as a professional courtesy to thank the specific faculty member... but like isn't it a little much for after a MMI?
I sent one thanking them for a great interview experience. I was accepted on 10/13.

3.0/3.0
3.7 Post Bacc Science/and Overall
3.25 Grad
<495 MCAT.
MCAT was the issue i can bet. Just re-take it. It is too low I think (try for a 500 or above, you still may get in with a 497+, but shoot for at least a 500 for DO). IMHO I think you have decent enough stats otherwise and a lot of clinical experience and probably a good story if you are a nurse already. Consult with Goro, gonnif, WedgeDawg or gyngyn for more info. This is just my 2 cents from someone who has gone through this process twice and now has a fair amount of interviews (no acceptances yet haha), but those names I mentioned above know their stuff. Fair warning (goro and gyngyn will be very blunt but they have a lot of knowledge). WedgeDawg has a lot of knowledge but is VERY nice about everything and will do his best to help you.

Last edited:
MCAT was the issue i can bet. Just re-take it. It is too low I think (try for a 500 or above, you still may get in with a 497+, but shoot for at least a 500 for DO). IMHO I think you have decent enough stats otherwise and a lot of clinical experience and probably a good story if you are a nurse already.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile