2017-2018 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my application. Good luck to everyone still awaiting an II!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
did it take ~ a month for you guys to get confirmation email from an update? I sent one January 11th and interviewed end of February but still didnt receive an email back. I know they said they were behind but idk how much longer I should wait before I call or send it again as its almost 2 months now, I just don't want to assume they received it because maybe they didnt

did it take ~ a month for you guys to get confirmation email from an update? I sent one January 11th and interviewed end of February but still didnt receive an email back. I know they said they were behind but idk how much longer I should wait before I call or send it again as its almost 2 months now, I just don't want to assume they received it because maybe they didnt
It seems that it takes about a month to receive confirmation on updates. However, I sent an update last week and received a confirmation email the next day. So I'm not really sure what's going on.

Congrats to all those who've been accepted, let alone those who've received scholarships!!

My anxious self has to ask: anyone who interviewed 1.27.18 hear anything yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all those who've been accepted, let alone those who've received scholarships!!

Not yet! Interviewed same day as you

I interviewed then and received a WL last week. Fingers crossed for you!!

Does anyone know about the process for applying as in state? I heard everyone needs to apply even people who grew up in state

Does anyone know about the process for applying as in state? I heard everyone needs to apply even people who grew up in state

The process is the same as if you were out of state. You file your AMCAS with UVM as a school designation, and when you get the secondary application you fill it out. You might get invited to interview, you might not, but if you are a resident of Vermont you are more likely to get an interview invite (~85% of VT residents were interviewed last year). After interview they decide whether to admit you or not.

The process is the same as if you were out of state. You file your AMCAS with UVM as a school designation, and when you get the secondary application you fill it out. You might get invited to interview, you might not, but if you are a resident of Vermont you are more likely to get an interview invite (~85% of VT residents were interviewed last year). After interview they decide whether to admit you or not.

Sorry, should have clarified this more--like once accepted, the process of applying for in state residency status

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, should have clarified this more--like once accepted, the process of applying for in state residency status

OH, that makes more sense. I was wondering how the heck someone made it all the way to SDN account without understanding how to apply to med school, I thought were asking about applying in a future cycle. :rofl::rofl::rofl:Sorry!!

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who were recently accepted and received scholarships! I have updates to my application, where should I send the update to?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who were recently accepted and received scholarships! I have updates to my application, where should I send the update to?

Thanks!
Did you already interview? If so, I dont think they take updates (speaking as someone who is waitlisted and saw that in the email)

Did you already interview? If so, I dont think they take updates (speaking as someone who is waitlisted and saw that in the email)
Yes, I interviewed late January

Got the “finished interviewing” email twice today.

Just rejected! Ironically logged in to my portal today, got the rejection email shortly after haha

Rejected pre interview even tho I fit their mission statement and the whole LGBT focus thing. I firmly think that CASPer was to blame. Oh well. No maple syrup for me.

I'm not sure what your intention is, but their residency policy is extremely strict. Even people who lived here, and moved away for college/research/whatever for a few years get hassled about being residents. Additionally--and you can look over their explicit policy--but you can't gain resident status while here for med school. It's tough.

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a tablet or computer issued to each student? I'm pretty dead set on coming here barring any strange late II or WL movement and am in the process of technology shopping. I was going to buy a new mac/ipad but wanted to double check first. On the UVM instagram it appears as if there are a lot of students using some sort of tablet.

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a tablet or computer issued to each student? I'm pretty dead set on coming here barring any strange late II or WL movement and am in the process of technology shopping. I was going to buy a new mac/ipad but wanted to double check first. On the UVM instagram it appears as if there are a lot of students using some sort of tablet.

On the second day of orientation every student is issued a new Surface Pro with the Microsoft Office Suite.

Reactions: 2 users
Do students get to keep those for as long as they like or only for four years?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I heard that at the end of four years, they'll sell it to you for $1. Plus they replace it--no questions asked--if it breaks or is damaged, as long as you can bring them a carcass.

Additionally, they give you a smallish tablet of some sort when you start clinical rotations. I think it's a Samsung something, but that might be cool

Do we know what interview date UVM is up to at this point? Nobody from the Feb. 9th group has heard anything yet, right?

Edit- Did anyone who sent LOI send as email or just an email with a PDF?

Last edited:
The MSAR from last year made it seem like the Waitlist is a crapshoot (20/200 accepted). Can anybody attest to that, and what (if anything) could be done to get off this waitlist? This is without a shred of a doubt my top choice, and I want to do whatever it takes to get in.

The MSAR from last year made it seem like the Waitlist is a crapshoot (20/200 accepted). Can anybody attest to that, and what (if anything) could be done to get off this waitlist? This is without a shred of a doubt my top choice, and I want to do whatever it takes to get in.

I don't think that number is particularly true, I think some places put a number on msar which is more so of a "guaranteed" number to get off if that makes sense. I looked at a UVM thread from a few years ago and like 12 people got off the waitlist which, as SDN is not representative of the whole applicant pool, is quite a lot if they only did take 20 off of it

I don't think that number is particularly true, I think some places put a number on msar which is more so of a "guaranteed" number to get off if that makes sense. I looked at a UVM thread from a few years ago and like 12 people got off the waitlist which, as SDN is not representative of the whole applicant pool, is quite a lot if they only did take 20 off of it
That definitely makes sense. I guess the part that's more disheartening is the fact that they said 200 people are put on the WL. That number seems off though given the number of interviewees versus acceptances that they have. Oh well, maybe I'm just being naive.

Quick question- I sent an update last week after my interview (late Feb) with a lot of stuff like 100+ volunteering hours, publication/abstracts, a new grade from post bac class etc.

Yesterday I found out a paper I am second author got published and is online.....but I don't want to send an update again literally one week later. Should I send it in April sometime? They told my group mid to late April we would hear but idk what to do haha

Last edited:
Did any other accepted applicants receive the email about the survey to choose preferred clinical clerkship campuses? I'm wondering how y'all will go about choosing? I remember a little bit about each location from the interview day but certainly not enough to make a decision! Not sure if the website gives enough info either.

Did any other accepted applicants receive the email about the survey to choose preferred clinical clerkship campuses? I'm wondering how y'all will go about choosing? I remember a little bit about each location from the interview day but certainly not enough to make a decision! Not sure if the website gives enough info either.
I just completed the survey. It is very straight forward and it isn't asking anyone to make a final decision. It is just asking if you are interested in maybe going to the Connecticut site. If you are not sure just put that you are interested in both sites

I just completed the survey. It is very straight forward and it isn't asking anyone to make a final decision. It is just asking if you are interested in maybe going to the Connecticut site. If you are not sure just put that you are interested in both sites
Thanks! This is super helpful.

Interviewed 02/09. Hoping for good news from Vermont soon.

If given the chance to go to either GW or UVM, which would you guys choose?? I was offered an acceptance at UVM & waitlisted at GW, but am not sure whether I should send a letter (of interest or intent) to GW to get off the waitlist...

(I went to UVM for undergrad. From NYC.)

If given the chance to go to either GW or UVM, which would you guys choose?? I was offered an acceptance at UVM & waitlisted at GW, but am not sure whether I should send a letter (of interest or intent) to GW to get off the waitlist...

(I went to UVM for undergrad. From NYC.)
I was in a similar situation, but UVM offered a huge scholarship that basically made up my mind for me. I don't think GWU offers merit aid.

While rankings mean nothing to me, anyone else curious about the 10 spot drop of UVM?

While rankings mean nothing to me, anyone else curious about the 10 spot drop of UVM?

Yah lol I was choosing between two schools and Vermont was ranked exactly the same and now the other school is ranked higher by a good 10 spots. Also Vermont didn't even give me a scholarship so it's pretty much sealed at this point since the other school is cheaper

Does anyone know if UVM is done awarding the "UVM Scholarship"? I Interviewed early December, was accepted late February, and have my fingers crossed for a scholarship (how else will I be able to get a good winter coat!?).

A little nervous my parent is from a place with a high cost of living, so my family income might look higher on paper than it actually translates to in real life (I'm not sure if/how this is considered).