2017-2018 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Second year stopping by! Let me know if I can answer anything about the school :p
What do you think of the lecture-less curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think of the lecture-less curriculum?

I have mixed feeling about it... Some of the active learning activities work really well to the point where I don't have to go back and study them for the test, and I still remember things from the first few months of class, back to my days as a M1. Some sessions are just terrible, and I felt like a complete waste of my time. But between my year and the class of 2021, UVM build a teaching academy for the faculty, and it seems like it has improved significantly for the current first years. This is a major thing people have to think of when deciding to apply here. If you are not ready to spend hours watching videos and reading materials in preparation for the next day, this may not be for you. They are moving away from lectures slowly so the 2022 class will have even less lectures. It is not a perfect system but UVM is constantly seeking feedback and improving on the sessions.

As I am currently starting my Step 1 study :)bookworm:), I do not feel like my education was shortened in any way. I am also biased because second year is soooooo much better than the first...

Reactions: 2 users
I have mixed feeling about it... Some of the active learning activities work really well to the point where I don't have to go back and study them for the test, and I still remember things from the first few months of class, back to my days as a M1. Some sessions are just terrible, and I felt like a complete waste of my time. But between my year and the class of 2021, UVM build a teaching academy for the faculty, and it seems like it has improved significantly for the current first years. This is a major thing people have to think of when deciding to apply here. If you are not ready to spend hours watching videos and reading materials in preparation for the next day, this may not be for you. They are moving away from lectures slowly so the 2022 class will have even less lectures. It is not a perfect system but UVM is constantly seeking feedback and improving on the sessions.

As I am currently starting my Step 1 study :)bookworm:), I do not feel like my education was shortened in any way. I am also biased because second year is soooooo much better than the first...
Thanks for responding. Sounds like some issues still need to be worked out. Do you feel like the faculty buys into this method of learning, or does it feel like the administration is just pushing it down on them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think for the most part the faculty is all for it, and some have a lot of fun creating the cases we have to work through. Few don't completely understand how to create a good flipped classroom (hence the new teaching academy and the many evaluations we have to fill out). And the administration is also pushing it down on them. They got a huge amount of money from Dr. Larner with the condition of making it happen...

Mind you no school is perfect, even in the traditional method there are flaws. I would not switch this curriculum for any other out there. There are some pretty cool activities we get to do, and you can't beat the shorter amount of time spent in classroom vs. longer time in rotations. I am a pretty independent learner, I don't usually mind the readings (unless they are super long and dense), I feel like I have a lot more freedom, and this method works for me, but it will not work for everyone. There are pros and cons on both sides

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for responding. Sounds like some issues still need to be worked out. Do you feel like the faculty buys into this method of learning, or does it feel like the administration is just pushing it down on them?

I think for the most part the faculty is all for it, and some have a lot of fun creating the cases we have to work through. Few don't completely understand how to create a good flipped classroom (hence the new teaching academy and the many evaluations we have to fill out). And the administration is also pushing it down on them. They got a huge amount of money from Dr. Larner with the condition of making it happen...

Mind you no school is perfect, even in the traditional method there are flaws. I would not switch this curriculum for any other out there. There are some pretty cool activities we get to do, and you can't beat the shorter amount of time spent in classroom vs. longer time in rotations. I am a pretty independent learner, I don't usually mind the readings (unless they are super long and dense), I feel like I have a lot more freedom, and this method works for me, but it will not work for everyone. There are pros and cons on both sides

Reactions: 1 user

Awesome. Thank you!

Second year stopping by! Let me know if I can answer anything about the school :p

Thanks! I know the stats about IS vs OOS for UVM, but I don't have a strong sense for how much they "try" to be an in-state school. If an in-state applicant gets an interview, is it more likely than not they'll be offered admission (provided they didn't botch the interview)? Do you know how much the timing of the interview matters for admission (i.e. if people who interviewed in September are more likely to get a spot than people who interview in January)?

Thank you!

Thanks! I know the stats about IS vs OOS for UVM, but I don't have a strong sense for how much they "try" to be an in-state school. If an in-state applicant gets an interview, is it more likely than not they'll be offered admission (provided they didn't botch the interview)? Do you know how much the timing of the interview matters for admission (i.e. if people who interviewed in September are more likely to get a spot than people who interview in January)?

Thank you!

I would say about 1/3 of my class is from VT, and I would say they do try to accept Vermonters here... It is rolling admissions, I don't think it matters when you interview, if they really like you, they will accept you... if they kind of like you, they will put you in the " waiting pool". Every time they will choose people from the pool, they look at all applicants and not by interview day. At least, that is my understanding of their application system.

I think people who interview in February have just as good a chance as the people from September. If they offered you an interview, that means they like you already.

Just want to verify- I want to send a thank you note but obvs didnt get everyones name... I should just send a letter to the admissions department? I want to reaaallllyyy stress how much I loved it!

Just want to verify- I want to send a thank you note but obvs didnt get everyones name... I should just send a letter to the admissions department? I want to reaaallllyyy stress how much I loved it!

Yes! you send it to admissions, and they will add it to your file, so when they review, they will see your note in there. Same thing for updates and letter of intent

Hey all, I was told by admissions today that the first round of acceptances would be going out after 10/15(which we already know) but there is not an exact date she could give me at this time. The important part of this email was that not only will acceptees be contacted but also those who are waitlisted and rejected. That way we aren't left waiting til March without a word haha. I interviewed 8/30 so she said I would receive an email but I'm not sure what other interview days were included in this first batch. Good luck to everyone!

Hey all, I was told by admissions today that the first round of acceptances would be going out after 10/15(which we already know) but there is not an exact date she could give me at this time. The important part of this email was that not only will acceptees be contacted but also those who are waitlisted and rejected. That way we aren't left waiting til March without a word haha. I interviewed 8/30 so she said I would receive an email but I'm not sure what other interview days were included in this first batch. Good luck to everyone!
I interviewed last week, and it looks like they're "behind" currently. She said that we should expect to hear around thanksgiving time for us, so you could very well be around the 10/16 date! good luck!

I interviewed last week, and it looks like they're "behind" currently. She said that we should expect to hear around thanksgiving time for us, so you could very well be around the 10/16 date! good luck!

Thank you so much for the update! And good luck to you as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Complete early/mid august

+2 II this morning! LM 68-71 / OOS
Complete late July, CASPer was early July I believe?

Very unexpected, but welcome II today! :banana:

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats and enjoy! My favorite interview so far!
If the sun is out, after your interview I reccommend walking to the waterfront (east on college street) and grabbing a maple creemee.
What's a maple creemee?! That sounds delightfully New England-y.

If the sun is out, after your interview I reccommend walking to the waterfront (east on college street) and grabbing a maple creemee.

Awesome! How'd you like the interview? And the school? :)

This is exactly what I did :)

II this morning. Considering my stats are extremely low for this school I am so blown away and extremely grateful for this opportunity.

I hope I get to meet you guys and enjoy our interview and of course some of that creemee and nice views

Reactions: 4 users
Awesome! How'd you like the interview? And the school? :)
It was super fun, lots of great energy, everyone was super positive and happy. I've interviewed at "more prestigious" schools and would turn them down for UVM 100%

It was super fun, lots of great energy, everyone was super positive and happy. I've interviewed at "more prestigious" schools and would turn them down for UVM 100%

Awesome! Thanks :)

Was it only MMI format for you?

II this morning. Considering my stats are extremely low for this school I am so blown away and extremely grateful for this opportunity.

I hope I get to meet you guys and enjoy our interview and of course some of that creemee and nice views[/QUOT

Congrats!! When were you complete?

This school seems amazing! hoping for some love soon...congrats to those of you with interviews!

Terrified about the thought of acceptances possibly being sent out this week. Anyone else? Haha

I completed my secondary on 08/02 and took my CASPER on 08/10