2017-2018 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewed early october and they said around thanksgiving to us
I interviewed in late October. I guess I should be expecting early December then. Man I really wanna get into this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interviewed early october and Mrs. Jewkes said after thanksgiving for sure, probably sometime in december... Merry Christmas.

what is the process for becoming VT Resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the process for becoming VT Resident?
for instate tuition you need to have lived there a year prior to applying and have moved there for nonacademic reasons.

nooo so OOS won't count right :(

Yeah, as far as I know OOS can't become IS while attending UVM. The cost is definitely a downer, but still would love to go here. Fingers crossed :)

Reactions: 1 user
Should I be worried yet if I was complete in late July and haven't heard anything?

Should I be worried yet if I was complete in late July and haven't heard anything?

I don't think so, I think you could take the thanksgiving date as a general guideline to start worrying, but even then this school gives out interviews until sometime Feb-March so don't lose hope!

Yeah, as far as I know OOS can't become IS while attending UVM. The cost is definitely a downer, but still would love to go here. Fingers crossed :)
ahh have you had your interview yet? I feel a bit anxious since it'll be my first one! Vermont sounds beautiful tho, so I am also excited

ahh have you had your interview yet? I feel a bit anxious since it'll be my first one! Vermont sounds beautiful tho, so I am also excited
Don't be anxious. It's the most relaxed and stress free interview ever.

Members don't see this ad :)

not yet, I interview on 11/10 and this is my first interview and my first choice too so I am quite nervous/unsure what to expect. I guess we just have to be ourselves :)

Yeah, from the pictures I have seen of the school and its surroundings its really something else!

I replied to the acceptance email and they haven’t sent anything to me either.

I just called their office. They're working on a link for the payment and will send it as soon as they are done. They were incredibly nice and said that they're not really strict on the timeline as other schools. The chill attitude is really getting to me and I hope it's a reflection of what it's like to go to school there.

I just called their office. They're working on a link for the payment and will send it as soon as they are done. They were incredibly nice and said that they're not really strict on the timeline as other schools. The chill attitude is really getting to me and I hope it's a reflection of what it's like to go to school there.

congrats on your acceptance! I am glad U Vermont seems chill. Is there anything you disliked about them?

I want to go here because my brother lives and works down the road but I am not IS. Do you think that counts as ties to the state since they're IS pool is relatively small? I am from NE, went to college in NE and work in NE

I want an II soooooon ahhhh

not yet, I interview on 11/10 and this is my first interview and my first choice too so I am quite nervous/unsure what to expect. I guess we just have to be ourselves :)

Yeah, from the pictures I have seen of the school and its surroundings its really something else!

I know a lot of people already mentioned, but the MMI is super chill. Think about it this way: they already read you app, and they liked you (hence the interview), but now they want to know if you align with their beliefs. So be yourself and project confidence.

I am not going to lie, this place is beautiful... there is nothing like driving on the country side before winter comes, even then, winter is magical (but super cold). Whenever I hike a mountain, I get to the top and look at the view, it makes it all worthy. I didn't know VT would grow on me this much, but with every month, it gets harder to leave...

I want to go here because my brother lives and works down the road but I am not IS. Do you think that counts as ties to the state since they're IS pool is relatively small? I am from NE, went to college in NE and work in NE

I want an II soooooon ahhhh

That would be a no. There are students whose parents are in VT, lived here their whole life but for some reason went to do a year research or undergrad somewhere else, and they were denied IS tuition. This is one of the things UVM is really set on. I obviously don't know the whole story but it happens.

That would be a no. There are students whose parents are in VT, lived here their whole life but for some reason went to do a year research or undergrad somewhere else, and they were denied IS tuition. This is one of the things UVM is really set on. I obviously don't know the whole story but it happens.

No I didnt mean in terms of tuition, I just meant does anyone thinks it helps in terms of admissions as an OOS applicant in comparison to an OOS applicant who has never been to vermont. Essentially I was wondering does VT like OOS with some ties to the state as their IS applicant pool is quite small

No I didnt mean in terms of tuition, I just meant does anyone thinks it helps in terms of admissions as an OOS applicant in comparison to an OOS applicant who has never been to vermont. Essentially I was wondering does VT like OOS with some ties to the state as their IS applicant pool is quite small

I think it wouldn't hurt for it to be mentioned. Did you include that somewhere in your primary or secondary? It could also be included in a letter of intent, if this is your first choice. Otherwise I don't see how it would be relevant at this point.

I would say about 30-40% of students are Vermonters, so I wouldn't say their pool is that small. UVM has this undergrad program that basically gets their students into the med school...The rest of us are OOS that have no ties to VT.

I remember UVM having something LGBT related on their secondary. Is there a large presence in the school/city? I know burlington isnt the biggest city so I figured there wold be less members living there. Does anybody know why schools put these types of check boxes in their apps? Is it significant or just for statistics?

I remember UVM having something LGBT related on their secondary. Is there a large presence in the school/city? I know burlington isnt the biggest city so I figured there wold be less members living there. Does anybody know why schools put these types of check boxes in their apps? Is it significant or just for statistics?

I think they just like to ensure diversity in their classes. I would say there is a large LGBT community in Burlington.

I think they just like to ensure diversity in their classes. I would say there is a large LGBT community in Burlington.

I would agree. Its a very friendly environment, they have gender neutral restrooms, and the staff write their preferred pronoun in the email signature. Diversity and inclusion is a big thing at UVM.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Us Vermonters are quite proud of our long history of leading the country on social justice and equal rights issues. You matter, you belong, you are welcome, and we love you.

That being said, you aren't going to find the nightlife of san francisco in a small vermont town, but we have fun.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Us Vermonters are quite proud of our long history of leading the country on social justice and equal rights issues. You matter, you belong, you are welcome, and we love you.

That being said, you aren't going to find the nightlife of san francisco in a small vermont town, but we have fun.

I like to think of it as that I am saving money ;)

Who wants to call admissions and ask when the next round of decisions is going to be released? #notme

Reactions: 2 users
Any recent IIs go out? Feel like it's been silent here

I think we do have a higher than average proportion of gay and lesbian students in our classes (mine especially), but this poster is right that lifestyle-wise there's not much here specific to LGBT interests or tastes. In fact, I think the only gay bar in the state closed over the summer, and was only open for a few months.

Does UVM send complete emails? Says complete in my portal but was checking the communication tab and didn't see any (also saw that they aren't receptive to updates and I sent one via email so hopefully that won't hurt me.....)

Does UVM send complete emails? Says complete in my portal but was checking the communication tab and didn't see any (also saw that they aren't receptive to updates and I sent one via email so hopefully that won't hurt me.....)

Hey, sorry for the delay! I just checked my email and all I got was a "your secondary application has been received and once your application is completed it will be reviewed" email. No complete emails.
Also as far as I know, they are receptive to updates (based on previous years threads). Not sure if this changed or not, but anyone feel free to chyme in on this topic :)

II this week! Complete early September. LM~70.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I just called the admissions office and the lady who answered told me, very politely and straightforwardly, that application updates aren't going to make a difference here and didn't want me to have false hope. Just wanted to let y'all know if you were thinking about updating your app :)

EDIT: I'm talking about pre II updates. I have no idea about post II haha :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was waitlisted last week on Monday. I doubt I will get off of it since they don't take many off the waitlist. Anyhow, I already have an acceptance so I can rest easy! Good luck to everyone else!

I was waitlisted last week on Monday. I doubt I will get off of it since they don't take many off the waitlist. Anyhow, I already have an acceptance so I can rest easy! Good luck to everyone else!

Looking back it, is there anything you wished you did differently?

Not saying I don't believe you, but where did you get this info?

+1 on the waitlist train, not sure how much movement their is either...

I have heard (from professor at UVM) that about 50% get admitted from waitlist

+1 on the waitlist train, not sure how much movement their is either...

Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Not saying I don't believe you, but where did you get this info?
MSAR. It said they only take about 15-20 out of the 100+ they put on waitlist. But of course its MSAR so it could be wrong.

Looking back it, is there anything you wished you did differently?
Nope. I did my best and I offered who I was. Just wasn't a great fit for them I suppose. Maybe there was a question I could have answered better but I don't like to play what if.

I have heard (from professor at UVM) that about 50% get admitted from waitlist
That would be nice. hope msar was wrong. Id believe the professor over MSAR aha

If I am understanding correctly, the we start the day off at the Health Science Research Facility right? I wanna make sure I know whereto go lol

If I am understanding correctly, the we start the day off at the Health Science Research Facility right? I wanna make sure I know whereto go lol

That's how I'm interpreting it. :)