2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also what about scrubs, stethoscopes and other equipments. Are we going to get an email with regards to how to go about purchasing them?

also what about scrubs, stethoscopes and other equipments. Are we going to get an email with regards to how to go about purchasing them?
In my experience most people buy one or two books during the whole of first year, most of which being high yield resources such as an Atlas and First Aid. For my class we were given all equipment we needed. There is usually a scrub and tool sale by a group from campus that you'll hear about in the massively overwhelming blast of emails you'll get at the start of school. So my advice is, as best you can, enjoy the radio silence because they will blow it up soon enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience most people buy one or two books during the whole of first year, most of which being high yield resources such as an Atlas and First Aid. For my class we were given all equipment we needed. There is usually a scrub and tool sale by a group from campus that you'll hear about in the massively overwhelming blast of emails you'll get at the start of school. So my advice is, as best you can, enjoy the radio silence because they will blow it up soon enough.
well noted. i will go back to enjoying this free time while it last:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Reactions: 1 users
Cool good to know I haven’t missed the memo.

Accepted pending seat just now! So excited!!! but I’m also aware that there are quite a few of us in the same boat now.

Accepted pending seat as well! Currently on two APS lists haha.

So what does that mean percentage wise? How many of us will get in off that list? Congrats to everyone thus far!!

Well both schools I have been placed on the APS list for have said they got all of the students off the APS list into that year’s class last year. But it seems like no real movement will likely happen until at least late April to early May, so we be sitting on these lists for awhile. But congrats to everyone who got the good news!

Joined the accepted pending a seat list today!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone! When did you guys interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think, should I cancel my other interviews with an accepted pending a seat here in hand? I'd probably go here anyway even if accepted elsewhere. A year off wouldn't bother me.

Anyone going to the Chicago area dinner reception?

What do you guys think, should I cancel my other interviews with an accepted pending a seat here in hand? I'd probably go here anyway even if accepted elsewhere. A year off wouldn't bother me.

I mean if you are dead set on going here, you should follow your heart. I do think you should still go to your other interviews though, you may end up reallly liking those schools as well and could get accepted for this cycle compared to being unsure whether you will get in this year or next year at ATSU.

Congratulations on your acceptance (whether it is with or without a seat yet!) fwiw, i got off the pending seat last year and I know quite a few classmates who came off the list as well. So, there is hope!
and for those of you who are a little curious about things, I will try to just blurt out information that I thought I wanted when I was in your shoes last year!
1. DO NOT buy books! not yet anyways! exception: buy a current or a year old First Aid to have it on you Day 1 of classes and use it. An anatomy atlas? (may be not because: a. Surgery club's paid membership comes with a free atlas (or at least it did this year); b. there is a sale by one of the clubs on campus where you will buy dissection tools, scrubs, and anatomy atlas if you are there early.)
2. DO NOT pre study! You will not know what is important and the volume of stuff that hits you is unimaginable so just enjoy for now!
3. Medical equipment are provided in a bag during orientation (of course its included in your school bill)
4. Buy an ipad compatible with apple pencil. it is very handy for notetaking. all your exams are in ipad so if you are an apple hater, sucks to be you but you need an ipad. I have a smaller ipad (pencil compatible) and a nice laptop. Some people have the largest ipad pros and that double times as a computer and an ipad. Some ipad apps I have paid for are: $10- Notability (for note taking, some use OneNote which is available for free through school), $25ish - Complete Anatomy app (i have used it a lot to get my understanding down, its fun to play with)
5. fwiw, I spend most of my time in school, so paying more for a fancier place and fancy furniture are probably waste (at least in my case). get a cozy and safe place.
6. Things that I bought after school started because I did not see it coming are; larger backpack (you could be a walking office and a kitchen), reliable water bottle and coffee mug, mouse for my laptop, snow boots / ice scrappers if you are from warmer places, winter coat (this winter has been harsh), lunch boxes, quite a few shorts and sweat pants for OMM labs (if you are like me and are mostly a jeans / pants person)
7. If you have birthday coming up ask for a good noise cancelling headphones or just buy one during one of million the sales between now and orientation! :) it will be worth it.
8. Learn to make quick healthy meals. Half way into first sem, I felt I will have all sorts of diseases before I will ever become a physician.
9. goes with 8 above, may be get into a good workout routine that fits your schedule ( upper end of crazy when school hits) and expectations (stay healthy and take a break from studies)
10. Schedule will come closer to orientation. enjoy the calm before the storm!!

That is all I can think of right now. message me if you have any questions. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability!

Enjoy and Goodluck!

Reactions: 5 users
For accepted and current students: What is required to complete before starting in July? Drug screen, background check, health physical? Thanks in advance.

For accepted and current students: What is required to complete before starting in July? Drug screen, background check, health physical? Thanks in advance.
definitely background check and the immunization request.
I don't think any of the emails talked about physicals or any drug screening.
the background check was within 30 after paying the deposit and i think the immunization document is ongoing till i believe classes starts in July.

Just got the acceptance pending seat email!
Interviewed 2/18

Unfortunately, I will be giving up my seat here. Good luck to everyone!!

It was a really tough decision, but I gave up my pending seat acceptance last week. I hope it goes to someone deserving!!

Congrats to everyone on the APS list! Current students - do you get time off for step 1 prep, and if so, how much time?

Congrats to everyone on the APS list! Current students - do you get time off for step 1 prep, and if so, how much time?
Things change all the time, and I’m on step 3 studying now, but I remember about a month or so, which is plenty for most if you’re studying throughout your courses.

I remember being jelly about SLU tho because they got time off at like January or something? And we had course work through to May, so you get like end of May to end of June I think? My memory is not 100% on it but it wasn’t bad. I was always going fam med tho, so just wanted to pass, the surg people were probs more perturbed lol.

What does it mean to audit applications after admission?

anyone with info on some of the matches for the current seniors this year?

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of someone being accepted off the alternate list. I was placed on the alternate list on March 5th and assume my chances are slim to none.

I’m a third year, and we got most of May completely off and all of June to take our boards. They have neuroscience/neurology until spring break in March, so 2nd semester of 2nd year, then they start lightening up on the course load in April and May to give more time to study for boards. We were done with our finals in mid-April and then have ACLS training after that. It used to be that you had until the end of June to take your boards and move to your rotation site, but they added another month for current second years to move after they take their boards. Honestly though, the time we had to study for boards is enough if you are studying well throughout the first two years and then use your dedicated time wisely because you get burnt out toward the end of 6-8 weeks.
How do you go about choosing your rotation city? Coming from AZ, I would love to return to Phoenix.

How do you go about choosing your rotation city? Coming from AZ, I would love to return to Phoenix.

During your second year, you do a match similar to the residency match to find out where you will go for rotations. This entails ranking your top six choices of our different rotation sites and then it’s run through an algorithm like the match. Most people visit their top site where they want to do their rotations, and half of the spots at each site are chosen by the staff at that site. The other half of the spots are filled through the match for the rotations. You can write a personal statement to your first choice site about why you want to go there and they take that into account when choosing the students that will fill half the spots.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how the APS works if we don’t get the seat this year? I understand the spot in the next class is guaranteed, but are we allowed to reapply if that’s something we are interested in? Or do we have to perhaps sign some agreement that we will not reapply to keep the guaranteed seat

Does anybody know how the APS works if we don’t get the seat this year? I understand the spot in the next class is guaranteed, but are we allowed to reapply if that’s something we are interested in? Or do we have to perhaps sign some agreement that we will not reapply to keep the guaranteed seat

I would think they would have to have some sort of agreement in place but I'm not sure how that all works either. From what I heard during my interview, it sounds like almost everyone that has stayed on the APS list during past years has gotten in so maybe they haven't needed to draft an agreement..?

You have a guarranteed seat. I dont think there is some kind of agreement. The worst is that you will probably forfeit your deposit (which they normally ask for if you are going to have to wait a year with a secured seat)

The match process about third year clinical rotation as explained above is true. This upcoming third year class (current second year) had a very comfortable match for all those wishing to go to AZ because they doubled the number of seats so basically everyone whose top choice was AZ got AZ.

If we dont get in this year, we pay $1000 deposits in October and December to hold our seats. That’s the agreement essentially—we’re free to do as we please outside of that.

Interviewed in Feb and was put on the waitlist, anybody know when I should hear something? I know they’ve already given out APS so I don’t expect there to be many people moved up from waitlist.

Interviewed in Feb and was put on the waitlist, anybody know when I should hear something? I know they’ve already given out APS so I don’t expect there to be many people moved up from waitlist.
Alternate list or pending? And I assume around April 15th, when the last deposit is due is when people will be getting pulled from pending

Alternate list or pending? And I assume around April 15th, when the last deposit is due is when people will be getting pulled from pending

The alternate list! And thanks, that makes sense. I know some schools don’t move up the waitlist until May.

The alternate list! And thanks, that makes sense. I know some schools don’t move up the waitlist until May.
My last deposit isn’t due until mid May, just a heads up. So it might be until then that you see some movement? Best of luck to you!

I heard there is one $500 deposit coming up April 15th, and then another $500 mid May on the 13th I believe. I have a feeling there will be action with the May deposit bc of a portion of people choosing MD/State schools on the 30th

I heard there is one $500 deposit coming up April 15th, and then another $500 mid May on the 13th I believe. I have a feeling there will be action with the May deposit bc of a portion of people choosing MD/State schools on the 30th

My deposits are due April 15 and May 15. I’m waitlisted at 2 schools and I assume when other school waitlists move, it’ll cause some people to be pulled off the APS list, probably closer to the end of April/May.

Have any APS peeps heard back? Are we ranked on some kind of list?

Got the call off the APS this morning! Looks like there will be some movement today, good luck to everyone else on it!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my application today

Received a call several hours ago to inform me that a seat is available! I interviewed on 1/18/19 and was accepted pending a seat on 2/14/19. Good luck to all that have been fervently checking these threads every week like me

Reactions: 3 users