2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for any current med students, or prospective med students eho know the area: I'm familiar with the living options around campus, but if I wanted to be in a bit quieter area (I have kids), where should I look for housing?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Basically just stay away from Truman's campus, and the rest of the town will be pretty quiet. So avoid housing from Normal Street to Jefferson (not the whole length of the streets, just the sides that align with campus), and the two/three block radius surrounding their campus on all sides.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically just stay away from Truman's campus, and the rest of the town will be pretty quiet. So avoid housing from Normal Street to Jefferson (not the whole length of the streets, just the sides that align with campus), and the two/three block radius surrounding their campus on all sides.
Great. Thanks!

I interviewed in October and was told I wouldn't hear back about a decision until this upcoming Friday. How strange/unusual is this? Do I have any chance of acceptance? Please let me know, thanks! I already have my deposit down elsewhere if not, just in case, but I would prefer this school.

I interviewed at the same time and am in the same boat. Not sure what we're going to hear friday but last years thread hints that it will be a waitlist spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here about a week ago and I did not expect to like the school as much as I did! I loved everything about this school (yes even the small town feel)

Withdrew my II. Hope one of you get it. Good luck!

I interviewed at the same time and am in the same boat. Not sure what we're going to hear friday but last years thread hints that it will be a waitlist spot.

I got a waitlist spot with guaranteed seat in next summer's class. I think I'll eat my deposit at ARCOM for it. Honestly, I wonder if I can for sure be placed on hold until next summer, because I solid year of working and traveling would be perfect.

I got a waitlist spot with guaranteed seat in next summer's class. I think I'll eat my deposit at ARCOM for it. Honestly, I wonder if I can for sure be placed on hold until next summer, because I solid year of working and traveling would be perfect.
They guaranteed you a spot for next year? That's kind of cool.

They guaranteed you a spot for next year? That's kind of cool.

Yeah, for sure! I didn't even know that was possible, but I guess essentially if a waitlist spot doesn't open up for classes starting this summer, they said I am just automatically accepted to next summer -- no need to re-apply, re-interview, etc.

Just got an interview. Would’ve been nice if they gave me it earlier. This is like asking somebody out for a dinner date and them saying, “Which restaurant?” two years later. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Scheduled it for 2/18, but this Friday and next Monday were also available. Looking forward to seeing KCOM and meeting you guys!

Oh and I was complete 1/22, OOS

Reactions: 2 users
Did you get a phone call or an email?
They called me, but I was at work and so they left a voicemail. Once I heard the voicemail, I asked to be excused for a second and was able to call the admissions office where they gave the good news.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an "accepted pending seat" email today, interviewed 1/14. I will not be staying on the waitlist, however, as I have been accepted to my state MD school. Good look to everyone waiting! In the email it mentioned that all their seats are full at this time, for anyone wondering.

Last edited:
Accepted pending seat!! I’m going to be a DOctor!! Interviewed 1/18 :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email if I'm still interested in interviewing with KCOM (haven't gotten an II yet) because they want to open more interview spots in March for waitlist seats.

Just got an email if I'm still interested in interviewing with KCOM (haven't gotten an II yet) because they want to open more interview spots in March for waitlist seats.
+1. I guess I'll keep it open in case they ask me to interview as I'll probably have a better idea with how this cycle is going to shake out in March.

Accepted pending seat!! I’m going to be a DOctor!! Interviewed 1/18 :)

I interviewed 1/18 as well and received "accepted pending seat". Were you AM or PM interview time?

I was set up to interview tomorrow, but someone from the school called me today to offer rescheduling my interview due to inclement weather. I’m driving from North Dakota, and it’s supposed to snow/freezing rain on me the whole way and the whole drive back afterward. Should I take them up on rescheduling or would this hurt my chances?

I was set up to interview tomorrow, but someone from the school called me today to offer rescheduling my interview due to inclement weather. I’m driving from North Dakota, and it’s supposed to snow/freezing rain on me the whole way and the whole drive back afterward. Should I take them up on rescheduling or would this hurt my chances?
Hi-accepted student here. I don't know that it would hurt your chances. I was down there earlier this week (Wed-Fri) to look for housing, and it was TERRIBLE weather. All the schools were closed all week due to the freezing rain, and it was really yucky getting around, especially if you're not in a 4-wheel drive. My flight in and out of Kirksville was cancelled, too. They're probably just being cautious for you.

Hi-accepted student here. I don't know that it would hurt your chances. I was down there earlier this week (Wed-Fri) to look for housing, and it was TERRIBLE weather. All the schools were closed all week due to the freezing rain, and it was really yucky getting around, especially if you're not in a 4-wheel drive. My flight in and out of Kirksville was cancelled, too. They're probably just being cautious for you.
Well that’s good to hear. I took them up on the offer, and it sounds like they’ll either reschedule me for the 25th of February or the 8th of March. Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake in postponing but I’d have been stressed about getting there and back the whole time.

Well that’s good to hear. I took them up on the offer, and it sounds like they’ll either reschedule me for the 25th of February or the 8th of March. Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake in postponing but I’d have been stressed about getting there and back the whole time.
Let me put your mind at ease. You absolutely did NOT make a mistake by rescheduling. Admissions is full of some of the nicest people Missouri has to offer and they wouldn't set you up to fail like that. I'm positive that they didn't want anyone crashing and passing away because of their interview day. Hopefully that takes care of some of the nerves so you can go in confident and rock it. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
So I received an email for the alternate list, normally I would be super happy about this but seeing the “accepted pending seat” email other people have been getting (CONGRATS EVERYONE!) makes me think my chances aren’t exactly the best for being accepted off of it. Can anyone provide any stats about the alternate list? I’m debating whether or not I should just ask to be taken off so I can get some type of interview feedback

So I received an email for the alternate list, normally I would be super happy about this but seeing the “accepted pending seat” email other people have been getting (CONGRATS EVERYONE!) makes me think my chances aren’t exactly the best for being accepted off of it. Can anyone provide any stats about the alternate list? I’m debating whether or not I should just ask to be taken off so I can get some type of interview feedback
Hey there's still a chance you could get off, try not to give up hope yet! Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed?

Let me put your mind at ease. You absolutely did NOT make a mistake by rescheduling. Admissions is full of some of the nicest people Missouri has to offer and they wouldn't set you up to fail like that. I'm positive that they didn't want anyone crashing and passing away because of their interview day. Hopefully that takes care of some of the nerves so you can go in confident and rock it. Good luck!
Thank you! It definitely makes me feel better hearing that. I feel like I lucked out anyway because when I rescheduled today there was an opening on 2/15 and I took it.

II, my only option was march 8th

Accepted pending a seat!! :) I'm so excited, this is my top choice school! (interviewed 1/28)

Reactions: 6 users
It looks like so many of us have been accepted pending a seat ! What are our chances getting in this year ? If they have already offered accepted pending seat to 20 plus applicants, why do they continue to interview and offer more " accepted pending ". I am worried.

It looks like so many of us have been accepted pending a seat ! What are our chances getting in this year ? If they have already offered accepted pending seat to 20 plus applicants, why do they continue to interview and offer more " accepted pending ". I am worried.
They probably have a high rate of accepted applicants that end up choosing a different school.

And people within the waitlist also give up their spots to go to other schools

They sent me an email last week updating me on their admissions status before my interview and said last year everyone that got an "accepted pending a seat" spot eventually made it into last year's class and didn't have to wait the year. Not sure if anyone else got that e-mail or if they're doing things a little differently this year, but this might provide a little context.

Hey there's still a chance you could get off, try not to give up hope yet! Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed?
I interviewed back in November. I really liked the school, but I just wish I knew a little more about this. None of the past threads look like they have any info either

Submitted my secondary and was complete 12/2 but haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal? Is it ever acceptable to contact them to inquire about your status before an interview invite?

Submitted my secondary and was complete 12/2 but haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal? Is it ever acceptable to contact them to inquire about your status before an interview invite?
I don’t know that it would hurt but I doubt they can give you much information other than you aren’t rejected yet.

Has anyone in the " accepted pending seat " group receive any good news this week ?

How has everyone’s experience with thank you letters been? Is it encouraged or discouraged?

Accepted pending seat availability! Notified by email this morning. Interviewed on 2/11/19, exactly 14 days ago.
Beyond stoked. This school has been my top choice throughout the entire application process.

Last edited:
Accepted pending seat availability! Notified by email this morning. Interviewed on 2/11/19, exactly 14 days ago.
Beyond stoked. This school has been my top choice throughout the entire application process.
Congratulations! I interviewed the same day as you, were you morning or afternoon?

Accepted incoming student here.

Does anyone know when we should expect start receiving more “starting materials” for July? Like books, aid, schedules, housekeeping stuff etc.

Probably still too early but figured I’d just throw it out there.

Accepted incoming student here.

Does anyone know when we should expect start receiving more “starting materials” for July? Like books, aid, schedules, housekeeping stuff etc.

Probably still too early but figured I’d just throw it out there.
I can't exactly recall each individual answer but class schedule comes up on a Google Calendar they give you access to maybe during orientation, aid I think is given a week or two in if I recall, and lol at the books.

I can't exactly recall each individual answer but class schedule comes up on a Google Calendar they give you access to maybe during orientation, aid I think is given a week or two in if I recall, and lol at the books.
what should we expect for books?