2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve received acceptance to KCOM and VCOM-Virginia. I also anticipate receiving acceptance to NYIT-Jonesboro. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Any and all input is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting to hear back from CUSOM but will be deciding between KCOM and CUSOM if I get an acceptance from CUSOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how kcom compares with atsu soma? Reputation/board scores/competitive residency placement wise?

Can anyone comment on the research opportunities you may have here? Especially if you are looking into a more competitive specialty?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Hopefully it goes to one of you waiting :)

After calling in yesterday, I got my interview moved up to this Friday at 11:45. Hope to see some of you there!

And if anyone could DM me with tips for the interview, I'd be forever in your debt, as having only 2 days to prep now is giving me bad anxiety. Thanks!

Does anyone roughly know how quickly the admissions committee gets admissions decisions back to applicants? I have an interview on Dec 7th and I have a deposit due at another school by Dec 14th. I would like to still be able to consider KCOM, but I do want to be realistic. Thanks in advance!

Withdrew my acceptance here today. I hope it goes to one of you all waiting! Good luck!

Does anyone roughly know how quickly the admissions committee gets admissions decisions back to applicants? I have an interview on Dec 7th and I have a deposit due at another school by Dec 14th. I would like to still be able to consider KCOM, but I do want to be realistic. Thanks in advance!

They told me two weeks and I heard back exactly two weeks afterward

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 11/19 and one of my interviewers called me on 11/30 letting me know I’m accepted!! Got the email with info/confirmation yesterday. LizzyM 64 OOS

Reactions: 4 users
Exact same situation. I paid my deposit at the other school because I doubt they will let us know within a week after the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
They let me know I got accepted a week after I interviewed. You never know

Reactions: 2 users
Exact same situation. I paid my deposit at the other school because I doubt they will let us know within a week after the interview.
I interviewed on a Monday and received the call Friday morning I believe so there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 users
The school and interview was better than I had hoped for! I had no idea they were connected to a small hospital and medical center!

Now I’m supppperrrrr nervous post-interview and analyzing every answer I said to my interviewers! Ahhhhhhh!

Placed my deposit today! Hope to see some of you in July! It’s FR now..

The school and interview was better than I had hoped for! I had no idea they were connected to a small hospital and medical center!

Now I’m supppperrrrr nervous post-interview and analyzing every answer I said to my interviewers! Ahhhhhhh!

I have an interview here very soon! I'm a little nervous, any advice?

I have an interview here very soon! I'm a little nervous, any advice?
The interview itself was super chill! Everyone was extremely friendly and made it as informal as possible. All the typical questions and some highlights of your experiences will likely be brought up.

I’m just always nervous over this stuff, especially since KCOM is my top choice so don’t let my anxiety make you feel you should be nervous!

How is the regional site match done for third and fourth year? Any insight into what are traditional the most coveted sites?

submitted on 8/29 with no update. Online says I'm complete but not sure if i'm supposed to receive a completion email. Should I be concerned or just continue to wait for an II?

submitted on 8/29 with no update. Online says I'm complete but not sure if i'm supposed to receive a completion email. Should I be concerned or just continue to wait for an II?
I received a complete email just days after I submitted the secondary. If you never received one of those, I think it would be fine to call and see if there’s anything else they need from you. Worst case scenario they just tell you to keep waiting! Everyone in admissions that I interacted with was extremely nice and helpful.

How is the regional site match done for third and fourth year? Any insight into what are traditional the most coveted sites?
When I interviewed, the students mentioned that they rank sites (I think 6) and a computer system matches them up. They said most people get their first or second choice, and they do a “mock match” in the middle of second year to see where everyone is hoping to go, and they can make adjustments after that before the real thing. I think the most coveted sites vary from year to year based on where the majority of the class is from, as most students were looking for sites closer to home as top choices. Hope this helps a little!

Bumping an old comment of mine. Does anyone know the true meaning of pre-II hold here at KCOM means? My school list is shrinking the past few months with many Rs, and I really wanted to stay hopeful and make an impact to those where I am at hold. Thanks!

Bumping an old comment of mine. Does anyone know the true meaning of pre-II hold here at KCOM means? My school list is shrinking the past few months with many Rs, and I really wanted to stay hopeful and make an impact to those where I am at hold. Thanks!
I assume it means there is something on your application that raises questions, but its not a deal breaker. If you haven't already, I would call admissions and ask what you need to do to move your application forward/improve upon and I would do it fast. They are super helpful and calling makes it look like KCOM is a priority for you.

I assume it means there is something on your application that raises questions, but its not a deal breaker. If you haven't already, I would call admissions and ask what you need to do to move your application forward/improve upon and I would do it fast. They are super helpful and calling makes it look like KCOM is a priority for you.
Thanks for your reply! I never thought about calling them, because I thought that would seem desperate and impatient. Do you also know if they take update letters?

Thanks for your reply! I never thought about calling them, because I thought that would seem desperate and impatient. Do you also know if they take update letters?
I think so. And not desperate at all (obviously don't beg, but inquiring is good and shows responsibility and desire) DM me if you want, I have a similar LizzyM score and was a reapplicant, so I might be able to offer some insight/tips.

Gotta love the medical school admissions money mill....they'll take money from you any chance they get. Why in the world would any school request a deposit before March? I know I know....because they want your money. Now that is unethical.

What Angelsfan says is correct, its a ranked lottery. From what I've heard from friends who go here are the Kirksville rotation site ranks high due to students with families who don't want to move kids around and Utah due to the Mormon student population, then the rest are mix. They also just opened a site in Fort Wayne, IN and Fresno, California.

From what I've heard from my co-residents....the mormon presence i real. Apparently, the original home of the mormon church is nearby before they were forced out west.

I think so. And not desperate at all (obviously don't beg, but inquiring is good and shows responsibility and desire) DM me if you want, I have a similar LizzyM score and was a reapplicant, so I might be able to offer some insight/tips.
tried to DM you, but the system doesn't allow me to :(

Interviewed on 11/29, holding my breath and hoping for good news soon. Anyways, do you guys have thoughts on whether or not thank you notes to the interviewees are worthwhile? If anyone who got accepted and either did or did not do them, do you think it was important in hindsight? Thanks!

Also for those wondering, the interview was super chill and relaxed. Definitely really like this school and hope I get in still!

Interviewed on 11/29, holding my breath and hoping for good news soon. Anyways, do you guys have thoughts on whether or not thank you notes to the interviewees are worthwhile? If anyone who got accepted and either did or did not do them, do you think it was important in hindsight? Thanks!

Also for those wondering, the interview was super chill and relaxed. Definitely really like this school and hope I get in still!
I want to hear this too. Just interviewed last week and hoping I get in like no other!!

This school likes thank you notes from what I have heard. Send them, or if you're really out of state, shoot them a thank you email.If you didn't I still wouldn't panic, I doubt admissions would hinge on whether or not you sent thank you notes.

Accepted student here! I personally did write quick thank you notes after my interview. My reasons for doing so was because I had a really fun interview day and wanted each of my interviewers to know what a great experience I had. However thank you notes will probably not have the greatest impact on if you’re accepted or not, as the interview itself is the most important part. But I still think it’s a good professional habit to form regardless and a nice last touch to your interview experience. It’s probably not going to seal you an acceptance but it definitely won’t hurt you either! Good luck guys!

I was accepted and did not write thank you letters. So I would just do what you feel is right. Don’t stress about it too much

Current students, do you feel like you are receiving a pretty good education and practice on OMM? I know some schools really stress OMM and give students over 200 hours within the first 2 years. Also is there any type of clinical experience within the first two years?

KCOM is definitely one of those schools that does over 200 hours of OMM and stresses it, since it's the founding school of osteopathy. You're prepared very well and have a lot of OMM in your first two years with lots of practice.

As far as clinical experience, you have a two week preceptorship at the end of your first year where you will be assigned to a physician in Missouri most often in primary care. Additionally, many clubs on campus have events or clinics that give you some clinical experience with the Kirksville community, but clinical experience is largely in your 3rd and 4th year rotations.

any current 3rd or 4th year care to comment on how helpful the ultrasound curriculum is helping them in clinical rotations. I did hear KCOM has a unique ultrasound curriculum.

Last edited:
Put my deposit down tonight!!

RIP to my bank account. See you guys in July.

I paid my deposit on Thursday last week. I am excited to meet those incoming matriculants for the class of 2023. I found a facebook page to join for that purpose if you have social media. Congrats to all those that have been accepted!

Hey all, I have an interview scheduled in late January and would love to message some current and accepted students to learn more about the school and interview day. If anyone is willing I would love the opportunity!

Hey all, I have an interview scheduled in late January and would love to message some current and accepted students to learn more about the school and interview day. If anyone is willing I would love the opportunity!
I was recently accepted if you want to send me a message! I’m not an expert on the school but I did love it when I visited for my interview!

I'm recently accepted, and know a little bit about the school. Feel free to PM.

Interview was 12/7, accepted today!

Reactions: 3 users
My secondary application was complete back on August 6th. I've heard nothing since then. I emailed them at 12 weeks to see if maybe I missed something in the junk mail but they said that its still being considered.

Are there any current students out there that were in the same boat as me but then got invited to interview/were accepted after being left on read for so long??

Not sure if this much silence means I should throw in the towel and stick with what I've got.

My secondary application was complete back on August 6th. I've heard nothing since then. I emailed them at 12 weeks to see if maybe I missed something in the junk mail but they said that its still being considered.

Are there any current students out there that were in the same boat as me but then got invited to interview/were accepted after being left on read for so long??

Not sure if this much silence means I should throw in the towel and stick with what I've got.
Complete since the beginning of July and just received an II yesterday. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 4 users
I'd be happy to chat with you. Send me a message.