2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who interviewed on Halloween hear back yet?
i interviewed 10/1 and still havent heard back

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!! If anyone is accepted and wants to PM questions about the school and/or why I chose Albany! I am happy to chat :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all!! If anyone is accepted and wants to PM questions about the school and/or why I chose Albany! I am happy to chat :)
Do you know what the academic calendar is like at AMC? Like how long are the summer/ winter breaks. I haven’t heard back yet post interview but my family lives on the west coast and was curious what their calendar looked like- I couldn’t find anything online with dates.

Last edited:
Do you know what the academic calendar is like at AMC? Like how long are the summer/ winter breaks. I haven’t heard back yet post interview but my family lives on the west coast and was curious what their calendar looked like- I could find anything online with dates.
So it will vary every year you are in school. Year 3/4 there aren’t any breaks across the class. Most single day holidays (Columbus day/ Presidents‘ Day don’t exist). We have a Wen-Sun Tgiving break, Dec 19-Jan 1st winter break, and a week in spring. Summer first year is 8weeks but at least 1/2 the class will only take 2 weeks researching the remainder of the time. About 1/2 the West Coast kids went home for Thanksgiving but pretty much all are going home for Christmas. We do have days without mandatory classes which students living far away can use as travel days which are stated on our syllabus which you get roughly 2 months before it happens.

Hey! So letters of intent in general mean nothing to admissions staff. The only time they are intrigued by them is if you are accepted into another school and would prefer Albany. Albany also doesn’t allow updates except for grades so send grade reports if you have them to submit during winter break.
Thanks for the insight! Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you know this/are you certain? I’m in this kind of instance where I have an acceptance at another school but would much rather prefer Albany (was placed into Under Consideration). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight! Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you know this/are you certain? I’m in this kind of instance where I have an acceptance at another school but would much rather prefer Albany (was placed into Under Consideration). Thanks!
So in general, across the board these are seen as hail mary’s by admission staff and don’t mean much. There are a lot more interviewees than spots in the class and your love letter to the school isn’t likely going to change their thoughts. You can send one it just isn’t ensured it will even be read. Goro has said in the past the only time it is considered is if you are in a another school and say you prefer X school.

I interviewed on 9/27 and still no word... anyone else interview on that day? Should I call admissions?

I interviewed on 9/27 and still no word... anyone else interview on that day? Should I call admissions?
I called them and left VM. Emailed and requested post-interview status, no response. They must have taken the rest of the year off (im kidding)

I called them and left VM. Emailed and requested post-interview status, no response. They must have taken the rest of the year off (im kidding)

I interviewed in early oct and called yesterday. They said it will be a couple more weeks until I receive a decision.

Hey y’all I talked to admissions today and they told me to remind you that a good portion of our class comes off the uncertain list and to not worry if that is your status.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey y’all I talked to admissions today and they told me to remind you that a good portion of our class comes off the uncertain list and to not worry if that is your status.

Thanks! That's good to know.

I just want to thank you for your help with this sub, you've really been great about answering all our neurotic questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Been complete since August and still silence. Anyone know how far out they are with sending IIs? I assume they're close to done if they haven't finished sending them out already

Been complete since August and still silence. Anyone know how far out they are with sending IIs? I assume they're close to done if they haven't finished sending them out already
Friday 3/29 is the last interview day on our end. It’s a crapshoot how late they give interviews because at the end of the season some people cancel their interviews. You can guess from last year’s thread, but that is all guess work.

Friday 3/29 is the last interview day on our end. It’s a crapshoot how late they give interviews because at the end of the season some people cancel their interviews. You can guess from last year’s thread, but that is all guess work.

Are you saying they do give interviews late in the season, like in Feb or March even? And they don't interview until first week of April anymore?

Are you saying they do give interviews late in the season, like in Feb or March even? And they don't interview until first week of April anymore?
I’m saying last year they gave interviews until February-ish but each year it depends on how strong they feel their list is. I have a friend in my class who got in with a February interview. As of right now on the schedule we are done with interviews before April, might change with snowstorms.

Just received an II! Complete late August/early Sept.

3.47 culm 506 MCAT.

SUPER excited to be interviewing here!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just received an II! Complete late August/early Sept.

3.47 culm 506 MCAT.

SUPER excited to be interviewing here!!!

First of all congratulations! Second, do you have any tips? You're killing it with the relatively lower stats getting all these II's. I wanted to DM you but it didn't give me an option. Are you sending updates to these places like gw, ur, and albany? Also are you IS or OOS for ny? URM/ORM?

First of all congratulations! Second, do you have any tips? You're killing it with the relatively lower stats getting all these II's. I wanted to DM you but it didn't give me an option. Are you sending updates to these places like gw, ur, and albany? Also are you IS or OOS for ny? URM/ORM?

Thank you so much!! I haven't sent any updates to any of the schools I've recieved interviews from but I wouldn't advise against it! I knew applying that I would be at a disadvantage so I made sure to dedicate lots of time and dedication toward perfecting my personal statement and secondary applications. I also have a strong upward trend in my GPA (2.9 the end of my sophomore year to 3.8 averaged my last two years) which I hope is helping me a bit lol. I am IS for NY and Puerto Rican; however, I'm not mainland so I don't believe I qualify as URM.

As for advice, all I can say is don't lose hope!! When I first submitted I honestly didn't think I was gonna hear back from any schools let alone 3. It's easy to let these forums get to your head and kill your confidence. Stay positive and speak acceptances into existence! Lol.

If you have any other questions please let me know! I'd love to help where I can.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you so much!! I haven't sent any updates to any of the schools I've recieved interviews from but I wouldn't advise against it! I knew applying that I would be at a disadvantage so I made sure to dedicate lots of time and dedication toward perfecting my personal statement and secondary applications. I also have a strong upward trend in my GPA (2.9 the end of my sophomore year to 3.8 averaged my last two years) which I hope is helping me a bit lol. I am IS for NY and Puerto Rican; however, I'm not mainland so I don't believe I qualify as URM.

As for advice, all I can say is don't lose hope!! When I first submitted I honestly didn't think I was gonna hear back from any schools let alone 3. It's easy to let these forums get to your head and kill your confidence. Stay positive and speak acceptances into existence! Lol.

If you have any other questions please let me know! I'd love to help where I can.

You ABSOLUTELY qualify as URM. All Latinx students combined make up 5% of the medical student population - so while there was initially some chatter that only certain Latinx students are considered URM, no one goes by that standard because all Latinx students are grossly under-represented in medicine.

That would be silly to be a US citizen but not be considered URM because you're on a US territory. Even if you weren't a US citizen, you're still Latinx or Afro-Caribbean -- however you identify -- which = URM.

Just got accepted!! Interviewed 11/12

Reactions: 6 users
You ABSOLUTELY qualify as URM. All Latinx students combined make up 5% of the medical student population - so while there was initially some chatter that only certain Latinx students are considered URM, no one goes by that standard because all Latinx students are grossly under-represented in medicine.
Thank you so much for clearing this up! I was honestly confused when I read the AAMC's description of URM.

So it will vary every year you are in school. Year 3/4 there aren’t any breaks across the class. Most single day holidays (Columbus day/ Presidents‘ Day don’t exist). We have a Wen-Sun Tgiving break, Dec 19-Jan 1st winter break, and a week in spring. Summer first year is 8weeks but at least 1/2 the class will only take 2 weeks researching the remainder of the time. About 1/2 the West Coast kids went home for Thanksgiving but pretty much all are going home for Christmas. We do have days without mandatory classes which students living far away can use as travel days which are stated on our syllabus which you get roughly 2 months before it happens.
Year 3 you get a two week winter break and a two week break during your FM block - which you can also do in your hometown.

Are most people pulled of the under consideration list after interviews are complete? Or is it more random

Does anyone happen to know what the approximate acceptance rate for the UC list is?