2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this school screens GPA? Its very vague on who gets a secondary.

Does anyone know if this school screens GPA? Its very vague on who gets a secondary.
There's no clear cut off for GPAs. But in their admission requirements it says: "competition dictates that most students will have an overall GPA > 3.5 and science GPAs > 3.4, respectively, which reflect greater opportunity for success with the curriculum and national board examinations, students with GPAs below these averages may be considered. The upper division grades in the sciences are scrutinized by the faculty in making admission decisions."

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else submitting their primary before they get their MCAT scores? I’m testing next Saturday and submitting primary today.
Not a good idea especially this early in the cycle. For the DO cycle, October all the way through early November is still early.

Edit: You don't wanna spend lots of money and apply without the MCAT, then get a score you weren't expecting later.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no clear cut off for GPAs. But in their admission requirements it says: "competition dictates that most students will have an overall GPA > 3.5 and science GPAs > 3.4, respectively, which reflect greater opportunity for success with the curriculum and national board examinations, students with GPAs below these averages may be considered. The upper division grades in the sciences are scrutinized by the faculty in making admission decisions."

It is also a very holistic screening process, so the gpa and mcat are not the only things that are considered for a secondary invite.

Reactions: 3 users
Just talk to today, they don't screen for low MCAT, average is 500..

If you receive a secondary, how much chance is there for an interview?

Since it's holistic screening, I assume a pretty high chance - just wanted to get some thoughts!

If you receive a secondary, how much chance is there for an interview?

Since it's holistic screening, I assume a pretty high chance - just wanted to get some thoughts!

When did you receive a review email? and Mind sharing your stats?

Last year they stated they interviewed 10% of total applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind posting the questions?
1. Please describe a difficult time in your life and how you overcame it. Limit your response to 2-3 paragraphs. *
2. Please tell us about a time you felt proud. A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest. *
3. ARCOM students can choose residencies in a wide range of specialties. if you had to pick today, what top 2 specialties would you be interested in learning more about? *

They also had questions about certificates and volunteer service that was not listed on AACOMAS.

"23. Please tell us about a time you felt proud. A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest. *"

How are you guys answering this? I am planning on just giving bullets of accomplishments in my life where I felt proud. Any thoughts?

"23. Please tell us about a time you felt proud. A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest. *"

How are you guys answering this? I am planning on just giving bullets of accomplishments in my life where I felt proud. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about writing about having my son and getting married. Those are my proudest moments, more than anything I did intellectually such as school, research, or challenges I overcame, etc. I'm not sure if that's a bad move, but that's what I'm thinking. I'm just not sure if that's what they are looking for.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm starting at ARCOM in a week. If you are curious about the process and ARCOM's housing, you can check it out on my blog:
www.thefineartofmedicine.com Good luck on applying. I wish everyone the best!

Reactions: 5 users
I was thinking about writing about having my son and getting married. Those are my proudest moments, more than anything I did intellectually such as school, research, or challenges I overcame, etc. I'm not sure if that's a bad move, but that's what I'm thinking. I'm just not sure if that's what they are looking for.
Sounds like a great answer dude. I just think the “A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest” is meant to be for the specialties question and not the proud question. Yeah?

Sounds like a great answer dude. I just think the “A narrative is not required, please simply list specialties of interest” is meant to be for the specialties question and not the proud question. Yeah?
Agreed. I think they accidentally put that there

Yeah, I agree as well.

How long do you guys think the proud question should be, is 300 words acceptable?

Anyone know when the first batch of II are given?
Last year the first batch of IIs were sent in the last few days of July (around Orientation time for the first years). BTW I'm about to be OMS-1 here next week, so if there are any questions you guys might have about the process don't hesitate to shoot, and I'll do my best to give as acurate an answer as I can with the information I already have.

Did anyone receive a secondary before completing the CASPer test? Do you plan on taking the CASPer test?

Did anyone receive a secondary before completing the CASPer test? Do you plan on taking the CASPer test?
I don't think they require the Casper test (unless it's new this year). Casper is more common in Canada. Of the medical schools in the U.S., there are only a very few that actually require the Casper test, and the ones I know that do are all MD schools.

Last edited:
I don't think they require the Casper test (unless it's new this year). Casper is more common in Canada. Of the medical schools in the U.S., there are only a very few that actually requires the Casper test, and the ones I know that do are all MD schools.

Its optional, not required but recommended

Interview as well, and my seventh one!! Had to schedule it in October.

Reactions: 4 users
II as well! Anyone going Sep 7th???

Anyone know what are your chances once you get a interview? It it 50/50???

Anyone know what are your chances once you get a interview? It it 50/50???
Getting an interview at any school means you got a pretty good chance of getting accepted. Schools usually have to accept more than the available seats they have to fill their classes because of the movements that happen when people (they accepted) decline their seats when they get accepted at other schools they prefer better. Which is why most schools acceptance rates are usually between 60 to 80 percent of the total people they interviewed.

Got my II a few days ago! I got waitlisted at this school last year, so I'm hoping this is my year!

How was the interview?

Very relaxed! The staff is wonderful and make you feel right at home. It started with a tour and ended with individual interviews, they really went out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Very relaxed! The staff is wonderful and make you feel right at home. It started with a tour and ended with individual interviews, they really went out of their way to make you feel comfortable.
Awesome thank you so much!!!

How many interviews did you undergo? I saw online they make you interview with state officials or city council members. Is that true?
Yes, your interview will be 2 on 1. One faculty member and a community member who can be a Doctor in the area, banker, city council member, state official, businessman, etc.

How many interviews did you undergo? I saw online they make you interview with state officials or city council members. Is that true?

I just underwent one interview, it was with one faculty member and one member of the community like you said. I can't remember the exact title he had but it was something like city council. They both took turns asking me questions

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, your interview will be 2 on 1. One faculty member and a community member who can be a Doctor in the area, banker, city council member, state official, businessman, etc.

I just underwent one interview, it was with one faculty member and one member of the community like you said. I can't remember the exact title he had but it was something like city council. They both took turns asking me questions

Wow

Are community leaders there to ask generic questions or more so how you can help the community...how you will change the area...what can you bring to ARCOM

Or are the state/community/city council members asking you why osteopathic medicine?

Thanks in advance for the insight