2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The dean just sent out an e-mail to all the accepted students (I am guessing who paid the deposit). Counted 90 e-mail addresses. So seems like there will definitely be more waitlist movement, given that is around their class size.

Wouldn't that mean that most of the class is full?

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't that mean that most of the class is full?
Students will drop once we get closer to the multiple-acceptance deadline. I believe most schools over-enroll in anticipation that students will drop, but seems like CUSM admitted around their class-size. I don't know if there are still acceptances to go out still, however.

Reactions: 1 users
For those concerned/interested: Construction has begun for the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the masters students studying? Is it also in the temp building? Also is the school going introduce other health disciplines in the near future?

Where are the masters students studying? Is it also in the temp building? Also is the school going introduce other health disciplines in the near future?

The Masters students were originally studying in the same temp building as us but several months ago they moved to a different temp building lol. However, I think they are aloud to still study at ours because i see a few from time to time.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! First A! I’m on the damn moon rn!!!!! Ima be close to my family!!! Interviewed 2/21 waitlisted 3/21

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed in March and waitlisted soon after. Just got the A but will be withdrawing! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I am! Wait listed in March. When were you wait listed?
March 21st! I’m hoping to hear back soon... this is my only potential A left, and I’m tired of being in this awkward position where I don’t know if I’m going to have another gap year or not. Guess that’s what happens when you’re not good enough to have gotten in by now but also not bad enough to have been rejected by now, haha

March 21st! I’m hoping to hear back soon... this is my only potential A left, and I’m tired of being in this awkward position where I don’t know if I’m going to have another gap year or not. Guess that’s what happens when you’re not good enough to have gotten in by now but also not bad enough to have been rejected by now, haha
Exactly how I feel! Not sure if I should be starting to prepare for the next application cycle as I'm sitting on 3 waitlists and no acceptances.

Exactly how I feel! Not sure if I should be starting to prepare for the next application cycle as I'm sitting on 3 waitlists and no acceptances.
I hear ya. Its hard to be in limbo. I've been offered a research position and don't want to pass up an opportunity to increase my experience for next cycle but also don't want to leave the research team in a lurch if accepted.

Accepted at 10:00AM this morning!!!!!!! I can't even process how I'm feeling right now. Good luck to everyone else!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted at 10:00AM this morning!!!!!!! I can't even process how I'm feeling right now. Good luck to everyone else!!!!!!!
Congratulations! Loved this school and hope I get to join you soon!

To the person that I met on interview day and had pho with, message me please!

Edit: I’m really bad at names and forgot to exchange numbers :angelic:

Could a current student please comment on how you've felt about the financial aid option offered at CUSM? From the information I gathered, the only loan available is the private variable iHELP loan. If the loan is not given to a student, the only other option would be to apply for scholarships. Could someone please confirm if this is the case? Also, has anyone heard if any additional financial aid options will become available soon? Thank you!

Could a current student please comment on how you've felt about the financial aid option offered at CUSM? From the information I gathered, the only loan available is the private variable iHELP loan. If the loan is not given to a student, the only other option would be to apply for scholarships. Could someone please confirm if this is the case? Also, has anyone heard if any additional financial aid options will become available soon? Thank you!

Hey let me ask our Dean about this in the next day or two. We did qualify for federal loans a couple months ago which is great just not sure about the logistics of how things will work since there hasn't been much communication to the students. I ended up filling the FAFSA form even if I don't know whats going to happen haha

• Wow
Hey let me ask our Dean about this in the next day or two. We did qualify for federal loans a couple months ago which is great just not sure about the logistics of how things will work since there hasn't been much communication to the students. I ended up filling the FAFSA form even if I don't know whats going to happen haha

I thought an eligible grad program had to be up and running for two full academic years before fed loans became an option? I thought this was about the end of the first year. . .

Is CUSM available to select on FAFSA? I did not see it when I submitted mine.

What is the withdrawing process for those who signed or secured a spot?

Is CUSM available to select on FAFSA? I did not see it when I submitted mine.

I have the same question. For anyone who is submitting FAFSA, what school are you selecting on the form? I could not find CUSM on the list.

I have the same question. For anyone who is submitting FAFSA, what school are you selecting on the form? I could not find CUSM on the list.

Did they say that they are eligible for fed loans???????? Unless they had another eligible grad program prior to 2018 then the Med school is not eligible for fed loans until the 20-21 academic year. Hence, them not being on the 19-20 FAFSA.

What is the withdrawing process for those who signed or secured a spot?
I emailed them thanking them for the opportunity but I would be withdrawing my acceptance/seat for the class. They emailed back the next day. I didn’t do the deposit so I don’t know how to get that back

Yea so it seems like we have eligibility for federal loans now after the review we had of our school but as the other people said who corrected me after I posted last, it does not look like we have access to them for the 2019-2020 school year. F.

Also is the school going introduce other health disciplines in the near future?

I don't think anyone answered this question of yours so I'll swing at it. While the introduction of other health care discipline programs is planned for the future, nothing is currently being worked on or actively planned. It'll be a few years at least before they dive in it. That being said, the most likely avenue they'll take is towards PA and/or NP with the hopes of also starting PhD programs (Biomedical Sciences) along with an official MD/PhD track as well.

Did they say that they are eligible for fed loans???????? Unless they had another eligible grad program prior to 2018 then the Med school is not eligible for fed loans until the 20-21 academic year. Hence, them not being on the 19-20 FAFSA.

Just as some further info, the school will be eligible for federal loans in late June of this year. However, it is simply the 'application' process that will push the implementation of it into the 20-21 year. It can take up to 8 months to get approved even after a school is eligible so while theoretically there is a chance of federal loans by this coming year... well, the chances are slim to none. That being said even if you have a year of loans through iHelp (our current loan provider) you can consolidate loans after graduation into a lump federal title IV loan, if you wish.

Just as some further info, the school will be eligible for federal loans in late June of this year. However, it is simply the 'application' process that will push the implementation of it into the 20-21 year. It can take up to 8 months to get approved even after a school is eligible so while theoretically there is a chance of federal loans by this coming year... well, the chances are slim to none. That being said even if you have a year of loans through iHelp (our current loan provider) you can consolidate loans after graduation into a lump federal title IV loan, if you wish.

Thank you for this. So the two year rule is actually a one year rule that just so happens to take a year to implement?

EDIT: Just double checked and an eligible program has to be running for a minimum of 24 months. I'm sure they can start the application prior to the 24th month though.

Last edited:
Accepted off waitlist today! Still in shock. Cannot wait to start school :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist at noon! For those still waiting, keep your chin up because movement seems to be picking up. Best of luck to everyone!! :bow:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the waitlist at noon! For those still waiting, keep your chin up because movement seems to be picking up. Best of luck to everyone!! :bow:
Congratulations! I’m still waitlisted. (Interviewed in January) What were your numbers like? GPA, MCAT? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m just trying to figure out where I might be on the waitlist.

Hi everyone! I just received an interview invite via email. Does anyone know how long it took for the online portal to update with the scheduling module?

Hi everyone! I just received an interview invite via email. Does anyone know how long it took for the online portal to update with the scheduling module?

I don't know the answer to that, but I am amazed that you received an interview invite so late in the cycle.

+1. Just got an II via email this afternoon.

Seems odd that they're sending out interview invites with some of us still on the waitlist. Does this mean they expect to not fill all their spots w WL? Or that they dont really feel all the WL is qualified enough? Is it worth calling to check on my status as they dont accept LOI?

Reactions: 2 users
Seems odd that they're sending out interview invites with some of us still on the waitlist. Does this mean they expect to not fill all their spots w WL? Or that they dont really feel all the WL is qualified enough? Is it worth calling to check on my status as they dont accept LOI?
I am wondering the same thing. Both my wife and I interviewed in January and have been waitlisted since.

if anyone's curious, i think CUSM is preparing for a size of about 120 or something for the class of 2023 and we currently have 113 members in the facebook group. i think 3 or 4 are from the class of 2022, though. and i'm thinking there are gonna be some people that are gonna get accepted off the waitlist for other schools and end up going there.

Just to clarify, the class of 2023 is slated to be 98 students in total. When the new school is built the class size will increase to 120 and that will be the class size for the foreseeable future.

Yes several members of the FB group are 2022 members but some may be people who withdrew their acceptances as well. The mods go through occasionally and kick people not on the accepted list. But I don't think they've done that lately so it might be a bit inflated at the moment.

There will definitely be more acceptances in the months to come, don't worry.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II, only date available was 5/17, soooo late considering orientation starts in like 2 months lol

Damn - was really hoping to see some WL action. Interviewed in Nov, and WL in January. Seeing as since ive been on the WL for ages, and a ton of other people have gotten off it, and they are doing interviews, I'm assuming my chances aren't super high. I've gotta start committing to housing for another school next year though. I guess i'm just trying to gauge if i should hold out a bit longer and risk missing out on housing, or just commit to my other acceptance.

Damn - was really hoping to see some WL action. Interviewed in Nov, and WL in January. Seeing as since ive been on the WL for ages, and a ton of other people have gotten off it, and they are doing interviews, I'm assuming my chances aren't super high. I've gotta start committing to housing for another school next year though. I guess i'm just trying to gauge if i should hold out a bit longer and risk missing out on housing, or just commit to my other acceptance.

I'm in the same boat as ya! What're you doing about the deposit you have to make for year 1 so far?

I'm in the same boat as ya! What're you doing about the deposit you have to make for year 1 so far?
For the other school? Haha its passed the no refund date so it will either be going to my tuition, or will end up as collateral damage.

Hey fam sorry to spam the thread. But I am a bit concerned, literally no info was given other than a start time and a date. If they just assume the applicants can figure it out for themselves, that's fine and I am happy to do that, but I want to make sure that there isn't some info package you're supposed to get that they didn't send me lol
Call them tomorrow. Also ask to make sure if they think you are a 2019-2020 cycle applicant.

Hey fam sorry to spam the thread. But I am a bit concerned, literally no info was given other than a start time and a date. If they just assume the applicants can figure it out for themselves, that's fine and I am happy to do that, but I want to make sure that there isn't some info package you're supposed to get that they didn't send me lol
Here are the documents I had received for my interview. Good luck man!

Attachments

• Campus Interview Schedule.docx
    94.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Interview Day Info Sheet.docx
    45.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Love
I called admissions today & they said they would be sending out emails regarding the details of the upcoming 5/17 interview date this afternoon.

Wtf I just got an interview invite. Uh.... waaay too last minute for me considering I already have a few acceptances. Suck because everywhere else has been OOS, but it would have been nice to have a chance at a CA school. Welp, hope my spot goes to whomever needs it.

Wtf I just got an interview invite. Uh.... waaay too last minute for me considering I already have a few acceptances. Suck because everywhere else has been OOS, but it would have been nice to have a chance at a CA school. Welp, hope my spot goes to whomever needs it.

Fingers crossed lol.

Is there a "commit to enroll" deadline for cusm? i couldn't find anything about it on the student checklist they sent out!