2019-2020 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PTE, must be CTE by June in order to be considered for their scholarship.

"
  • CUSM requires you to either Commit to Enroll or Plan to Enroll to our school by May 6, 2020.
  • In order to be considered for a CUSM scholarship you must indicate your intention to “Commit to Enroll” at CUSM by June 1, 2020
"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the waitlist this morning! Over the moon :cat:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any estimates as to how many people are waitlisted and what fraction they usually take off the WL? Sorry if it's a hard question, I'd just like to know my chances! :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how they’re going to handle people who haven’t even heard any decision yet versus waitlist movement

Does anyone have any estimates as to how many people are waitlisted and what fraction they usually take off the WL? Sorry if it's a hard question, I'd just like to know my chances! :happy:
I gotchu. (Everything I have written here is based on people posting on SDN)

So last year's forum had 16 people on the waitlist. 11 of those people were eventually taken off the waitlist, the remaining 5 had either gone to school elsewhere or I have no idea what happened to them. Its interesting that most of the people taken off the waitlist were taken off pre 4/30, even back in February. But they also had those very late May Interviews, so it may not be the best comparism.

This year we have had 5 people already taken off the waitlist, however this class size is larger and there are more people openly declining their acceptance here than last year (8 people last year vs 20 people this year), which should bode well for us, fingers crossed. I am unsure if they are accepting to the previous capacity (98) or to the new capacity (120) yet.

I have no idea what they plan to do with those they have ghosted. Based on the posts of last year, applicants did not deal with that situation. Hopefully, it's just holding spots until the building is up and running (which should be soon?), but pessimistically, it may be important to mention there were multiple people who posted they received a rejection post interview in last years thread, yet none in this year's thread.

I know the best thing to do right now is to work on next cycle's application, but the nervous energy I have is off the charts. As mentioned in many other posts, it is likely that waitlist movements have been a snail's pace this past week due to the whole pandemic. We aren't alone, many other schools seem to also have slow movement in their waitlist.

PS this is may flower from before, i just changed my name because I felt like it. If you want even more details you can PM me LOL

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Got off the waitlist this morning!!

Interviewed 4/17, and was initially waitlisted 4/30

sGPA: 3.16, cGPA: 3.34, MCAT: 512

In the least-roasting way possible, I love how CUSM is giving applicants with a lower than average GPA a chance, especially in the hellscape that is the CA med school system haha. Congrats on your A, I hope the rest of us hear some good news soon!

If you don't mind sharing, are there any other factors to you that would have helped you stand out, like being military, being from San Bernardino County, anything like that?

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone that hasn’t heard back at all attempted to reach out to the dean? Seems like waitlisted ppl are in a better situation now.

I gave admissions a call and they said that if I haven’t heard any news yet it is likely that my application is on “hold” meaning that there has not been a final decision yet and that not having a rejection is good news at this point. They said that they are actively meeting with the interviewers to make decisions. They said to give them a few weeks to continue to make decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
I've called admissions recently too and got the same response as jarofjaman. Could someone else call and ask about the meaning of the MBS emails? I KEEP getting the MBS email, is anyone else getting it too? I've received the same MBS email on 4/24, 4/27, 4/30, and today. I can't help but think there is a meaning behind it.

Reactions: 3 users
I've called admissions recently too and got the same response as jarofjaman. Could someone else call and ask about the meaning of the MBS emails? I KEEP getting the MBS email, is anyone else getting it too? I've received the same MBS email on 4/24, 4/27, 4/30, and today. I can't help but think there is a meaning behind it.
When I clicked on update your preferences on the MBS email the title at the top was MCAT 2020, so I wonder if it has something to do with that. I only received it once though.

Don't worry about the MBS email, It seems to get sent to everyone. Pretty standard practice (albeit, a bit distasteful, IMO) for most schools with an SMP, unfortunately. As far as why so many have been sent, I'd chalk it up to a simple oversight, they haven't filled their SMP yet, or some tech issue gone unnoticed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and asked a few days ago, they said there is no meaning. It is automatically sent depending on your amcas app. I receive like one a day

Finally got some communication after interviewing in March, no additional "consideration". I guess it's an R!!!

• Sad
Finally got the R, good luck to all on the waitlist

• Sad
Was ghosted and just got the R. Had a feeling this was the case so I am not heartbroken but for others who were in specifically in my same position I really hope the best for you. And for everyone else I also wish y’all the best of luck at cal med or wherever you choose to go :)

• Sad
In the least-roasting way possible, I love how CUSM is giving applicants with a lower than average GPA a chance, especially in the hellscape that is the CA med school system haha. Congrats on your A, I hope the rest of us hear some good news soon!

If you don't mind sharing, are there any other factors to you that would have helped you stand out, like being military, being from San Bernardino County, anything like that?

LOL I highly appreciate it as well, especially b/c my dad was like, you're not getting in w/ those stats >.>

I feel that I align quite a bit with their values. Since they deal with many Spanish-speaking patients, I have an advantage in the sense that I've taken Spanish courses starting in middle school, studied abroad in Spain, and have helped translate in Mexico. I'm currently trying to learn Mandarin right now, so said that I'd hope to be able to converse w/ patients w/o the need for a translator someday.

I'm a SoCal native, but not from San Bernardino. I have volunteered with Healing Hearts Across Borders (HHAB), which is a program that sets up a monthly clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. On one of those trips, I met a current CUSM student, who actually started a club there to partner up w/ HHAB. So I talked about that as part of the reason I wanna attend CUSM--I'd be able to continue working with HHAB.

I would say in regards to it being a new school, it attracts those who are proactive / wanna make an impact, given that the chances are greater that our input would be taken into consideration when compared to schools that are already well-established. In my interview, I mentioned how I'd like to start a program to teach patients English so that the language gap can be further bridged.

Hope that helped, and hope you get good news soon!

• Love
R :) hahah LOL at least it's before May 7th so I can sign up to retake the MCAT goodbye SDN! Until next time!

• Sad
I got rejected too. So now we know what ghosting meant. Good luck everyone!

Got the post-interview R. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back and congrats to those who were accepted!

I know it might not mean much, but I'm really sorry to everyone who got rejected today. I had several interviews in August and October of last year and have been waiting for good news since then. I know how difficult it is checking this website every day and hoping for good news only to get a rejection from a school. Don't give up hope. All of you are smart enough, strong enough, and resilient enough to get through this. All of you deserve to be doctors, and it will happen for you in time. Don't give up hope!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I know it might not mean much, but I'm really sorry to everyone who got rejected today. I had several interviews in August and October of last year and have been waiting for good news since then. I know how difficult it is checking this website every day and hoping for good news only to get a rejection from a school. Don't give up hope. All of you are smart enough, strong enough, and resilient enough to get through this. All of you deserve to be doctors, and it will happen for you in time. Don't give up hope!

I just wanted to second what Sycophantom said. Not only was I a re-applicant but when I applied again but I was rejected by all the schools I thought I was a perfect fit for. It wasn't until a lot of lousy months of self-doubt later that I was finally accepted, very, very late in the cycle. It was hell waiting and nothing anyone said could make it better. However, now I'm doing great in medschool, and there are a lot of people like me doing great. What I'm trying to get at is that I know its easy to fall into the hole of "I'm not good enough" and "I'm a screw up" etc, etc. But it's simply not true. Some of the brightest med students I know and some of the people who are absolutely amazing with patients are re-applicants or others that were rejected from 3+ schools before finally getting a chance. Rejection absolutely does not determine your ability to be a great doctor or be a wildly successful med student. It's a crazy process with a fair share of randomness involved. Take some time to feel like **** if you have to but don't let it get to you too much.

And I know this is easy for me to say being on the other side of the proverbial fence but I've been there before and I've seen those rejected time and time again become the best and the brightest. It's not a reflection of your worth or abilities.

Alright, end of unsolicited advice/pep talk.

Reactions: 9 users
Just got off the WL... I'm crying and calling everyone. I was admitted to DO before but this is my first MD. 510, 3.6 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, resident of Inland Empire. I'm still waiting on 1 other WL but I love this school so I'm beyond excited to be accepted!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Is the Facebook group link that was just sent out not working for anyone else?

Congratulations to all those who got an acceptance and sorry to all those who didn't.
I was just wondering how many others on here are still wishing, hoping, and waiting on the wait list like myself.

Congratulations to all those who got an acceptance and sorry to all those who didn't.
I was just wondering how many others on here are still wishing, hoping, and waiting on the wait list like myself.
Based on PM and people posting on SDN, there are 10 others (including us) on the waitlist

I'm on the WL and just checked the portal and it says it's "deactivated" and I'm not allowed to see it because of a designation I made on AMCAS (assuming it means because I PTE at another school I got accepted to?). Does anyone else have this issue? I haven't heard from the school since getting placed on the WL

I'm on the WL and just checked the portal and it says it's "deactivated" and I'm not allowed to see it because of a designation I made on AMCAS (assuming it means because I PTE at another school I got accepted to?). Does anyone else have this issue? I haven't heard from the school since getting placed on the WL
The portal that we accessed to schedule an interview? I can still access that, but this is my only WL, I don't have any acceptances.

I still have access to the portal, even though i've CTE at another school so I don't think it's because you PTE.

The portal that we accessed to schedule an interview? I can still access that, but this is my only WL, I don't have any acceptances.
I still have access to the portal, even though i've CTE at another school so I don't think it's because you PTE.

Looks like I can see it now. Not sure what happened earlier...thanks for the responses nonetheless!

If the waitlist is ranked, has anyone called to see what number they are on the list?
I asked back in March if they could give me a priority or waitlist number and they said that info was confidential to the admissions committee.

did anyone get rejected pre-interview here? I still haven't heard anything back yet