2018-2019 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got notified about a dean's scholarship but no information about need based aid yet.

edit: for those who got a merit scholarship, need based aid will be out by the end of the week. They couldn't make the packages without knowing if you got a scholarship or not which explains the wait. I think they mentioned this on interview day and I just forgot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
just got notified about a dean's scholarship but no information about need based aid yet.

edit: for those who got a merit scholarship, need based aid will be out by the end of the week. They couldn't make the packages without knowing if you got a scholarship or not which explains the wait. I think they mentioned this on interview day and I just forgot.

+1

Does anybody know what the maximum for a merit scholarship is?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Does anybody know what the maximum for a merit scholarship is?

Max total aid is 40k. So if you got less than 40k in scholarships you might get more in need based aid. If you got 40k then you won't get any need based aid.

40,000 is the max i believe, does anyone know how many people get scholarships?
Max total aid is 40k. So if you got less than 40k in scholarships you might get more in need based aid. If you got 40k then you won't get any need based aid.

This is what I remembered, but I was still hoping it'd be more, hehe. Hoping for a miracle now.

Is 40,000 the max in need based as well?

From what i understand, yes. Total aid is limited to 40k per student. Not quite sure why they do that since depending on how many students have need you'd think there would be some years where they have extra money.

Reactions: 1 user
From what i understand, yes. Total aid is limited to 40k per student. Not quite sure why they do that since depending on how many students have need you'd think there would be some years where they have extra money.

I agree. I wonder how they've decided on this total amount or why. Maybe because the class is really large and they prefer to help everyone a bit?

Can anyone who was at Second Look tell me their thoughts? I’m interested to see what you thought of the school, the city, the students, etc. Was the HEC finished?

Can anyone who was at Second Look tell me their thoughts? I’m interested to see what you thought of the school, the city, the students, etc. Was the HEC finished?

Overall I left with a very good impression! It's clear that the administration is REALLY supportive and hands-on, and all the faculty I got to meet were clearly really involved and committed to the students. It really feels like a student-centered environment. The current students I got to meet were also all great and it's clear that they have a strong community focus here- I get the impression that it would be really easy to make friends here due to the IQ groups and overall atmosphere of the class. They also really took care of us admitted students during the entire weekend- paying for all of our meals, hotels, and arranging shuttles to get us everywhere. They even arranged a shuttle to take us from the hotel to the HEC building on Saturday, which was only a few blocks away and totally walkable. Though that felt a bit over-the-top, it was clear that the administration really cared about our comfort and happiness, and this seems to reflect how they treat the medical students as well.

There was a general vibe from some of the current students that they loved Case but weren't crazy about Cleveland as a city, but I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised during my visit! It's a much nicer, more artsy city that I thought. I got a chance to go to the Museum of Art during some downtime and it was stunning. Our night out with current students was lively and Cleveland seems to have a decent young adult scene going on. The weather was nice for us on Saturday but several current students remarked that winters here are long and grey, so something to keep in mind if you have SAD.

The HEC is still getting some finishing touches but we got to spend all day there on Saturday! It's BEAUTIFUL, even more so than the pictures. All the furniture is top-notch quality and the large atrium is just stunning. I actually took a ton of pictures that I'm happy to send you if you PM me!

Only negative is that I felt like they were REALLY trying to sell the IQ curriculum to us. It was great to get more information but at some point it started to feel a bit excessive.

One final note- and this is just something I noticed as a non-traditional student so may not matter to you- is that a lot of the admitted students seemed to be on the youngish side, either just finishing college or their first gap year. This isn't a bad thing at all, just something you may want to keep in mind if you are also an older, non-traditional student like me! Regardless of age, I got along well with most of the other admitted students :) They seemed like a fun, supportive, and lively group!!

Edit: Typos

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall I left with a very good impression! It's clear that the administration is REALLY supportive and hands-on, and all the faculty I got to meet were clearly really involved and committed to the students. It really feels like a student-centered environment. The current students I got to meet were also all great and it's clear that they have a strong community focus here- I get the impression that it would be really easy to make friends here due to the IQ groups and overall atmosphere of the class. They also really took care of us admitted students during the entire weekend- paying for all of our meals, hotels, and arranging shuttles to get us everywhere. They even arranged a shuttle to take us from the hotel to the HEC building on Saturday, which was only a few blocks away and totally walkable. Though that felt a bit over-the-top, it was clear that the administration really cared about our comfort and happiness, and this seems to reflect how they treat the medical students as well.

There was a general vibe from some of the current students that they loved Case but weren't crazy about Cleveland as a city, but I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised during my visit! It's a much nicer, more artsy city that I thought. I got a chance to go to the Museum of Art during some downtime and it was stunning. Our night out with current students was lively and Cleveland seems to have a decent young adult scene going on. The weather was nice for us on Saturday but several current students remarked that winters here are long and grey, so something to keep in mind if you have SAD.

The HEC is still getting some finishing touches but we got to spend all day there on Saturday! It's BEAUTIFUL, even more so than the pictures. All the furniture is top-notch quality and the large atrium is just stunning. I actually took a ton of pictures that I'm happy to send you if you PM me!

Only negative is that I felt like they were REALLY trying to sell the IQ curriculum to us. It was great to get more information but at some point it started to feel a bit excessive.

One final note- and this is just something I noticed as a non-traditional student so may not matter to you- is that a lot of the admitted students seemed to be on the youngish side, either just finishing college or their first gap year. This isn't a bad thing at all, just something you may want to keep in mind if you are also an older, non-traditional student like me! Regardless of age, I got along well with most of the other admitted students :) They seemed like a fun, supportive, and lively group!!

Edit: Typos

Wow. This answer was more than I could have ever hoped. I’d love to see the pics, so I’ll PM you now

Declined my acceptance today. I hope one of you beautiful souls gets my spot <3

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please answer this.
  • How's the curriculum
  1. Is it P/F
  2. Traditional 2+2
  3. PBL or lecture?
  4. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both?
  • What's the class size
  • How are clinical rotations?
  • Is the school laid back or more intense?

Trying to compile my pros and cons between schools. Thanks

• How's the curriculum

1. Is it P/F
Yes it is pass/fail first 2 years and they do have AOA but it doesn't come out until after residency apps.
  1. Traditional 2+2
Yep, 2 year preclinical and 2 year clinical.
  1. PBL or lecture?
PBL and Lecture mix. They call their PBL IQ though.
  1. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both?
Non mandatory lecture, but no recordings. IQ is all mandatory. Three times a week though. Classes dont go passed noon.
  • What's the class size
About 170 to 180 i think
  • How are clinical rotations?
Don't know
  • Is the school laid back or more intense?
Seemed laid back to me

• How's the curriculum

1. Is it P/F Yes! no internal ranking as well
  2. Traditional 2+2 Kinda, technically its 1.5ish because they give us 2 months for dedicated between march-may
  3. PBL or lecture? both. PBL (IQ) is usually 6 hours per week and lectures about 8-10 hours (+4 hours for anatomy and seminars)
  4. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both? not required but not recorded

• What's the class size about 180 if you don't count CCLCM
  • How are clinical rotations? currently there is a traditional track (where you do UH/Metro/VA) and longitudinal (CCF), there will also be a longitudinal Metrohealth track
  • Is the school laid back or more intense? super laid back, pass/fail is the best, everyone shares their study guides and there's only 2 exams at the end of each block.

I'm an M2 at case, hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
How do we decline our acceptance through iApply? Or do we just email casemed-admissions?

How do we decline our acceptance through iApply? Or do we just email casemed-admissions?
Got to offer response on iApply and click decline offer on the bottom of the page

Has anyone heard about their financial aid award yet?

just got my package... it was super generous but i am confused.

My scholarship and financial aid package together add up to more than 40K per year. I thought they said that this was not allowed and that we would be maxed out at 40K a year.

just got my package... it was super generous but i am confused.

My scholarship and financial aid package together add up to more than 40K per year. I thought they said that this was not allowed and that we would be maxed out at 40K a year.

Do you mean scholarship + need-based grant together totaled over 40k per year? Or Scholarship + offered loans totaled over 40k per year? It's my understanding that loans (such as the federal direct unsubsidized loan and Alumni fund loan) don't count toward that 40k limit.

Do you mean scholarship + need-based grant together totaled over 40k per year? Or Scholarship + offered loans totaled over 40k per year? It's my understanding that loans (such as the federal direct unsubsidized loan and Alumni fund loan) don't count toward that 40k limit.

Deans scholarship (not listed under financial aid page, was awarded via email) plus CWRU scholarship assistance (this one is on financial aid page and pretty sure it's the need based one) added to over 40k. Im ignoring the loans.

Deans scholarship (not listed under financial aid page, was awarded via email) plus CWRU scholarship assistance (this one is on financial aid page and pretty sure it's the need based one) added to over 40k. Im ignoring the loans.

+1. I emailed them to ask about this so I’ll update once I get an answer.

I tried calling and it went straight to voicemail so yes please do let us know what they say! If we end up getting the full amount this changes some things for me since I never expected to be able to realistically attend here with the cap (just because id have cheaper state school options).

I received my package as well. I believe the Dean's Scholarship and the CWRU Scholarship Assistance are the same thing. Are those two numbers different for you?

I was confused at first also, but I believe what we are seeing under "CWRU scholarship assistance" is actually the total of merit (Dean's scholarship) plus need-based aid.

However, please update us on what you hear from the FA office!

You guys might be right, there's no way they gave that much need aid :(

I feel like I know the answer to this question already, but is there the most minimum possibility that one can get more than $40K at Case? I need to drop one school today, and I'm between this school and another one that hasn't sent my financial aid package. I really don't want to let Case go, but I may have to.

We’re you guys notified about your packages being ready or did you just check the page? Also did you guys accept the scholarship?

We’re you guys notified about your packages being ready or did you just check the page? Also did you guys accept the scholarship?

I got an email saying to check the financial aid page. I did not accept my scholarship because I will likely be withdrawing.

When you guys accepted your offer on the portal, did you get a confirmation or something? After I clicked the accept button nothing really happened :confused:

Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Most people I met were still deciding, and I know a few have actually withdrawn. I think Case usually has a lot of WL movement. Best of luck!

UPDATE: Bad news everyone. What you see in your financial aid award letter for scholarships includes the Dean’s merit scholarships. The financial aid office told me that it’s not stackable and so they factor it into the total.

Reactions: 2 users
Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Best of luck to those on the waitlist. I think there will be some solid movement in 10 days.

So it looks like Case is giving out extra money now. I just got a call earlier today saying they were increasing my scholarship for this year only. Don’t give up hope yet!

So it looks like Case is giving out extra money now. I just got a call earlier today saying they were increasing my scholarship for this year only. Don’t give up hope yet!

Lol I withdrew recently so maybe they redistributed my scholarship. Good on them though. Im glad they redistribute instead of just keeping it for later.

Case was my top choice, but I'll be withdrawing my offer. Goodluck to you all

Just withdrew my offer - best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back and everyone in CWRU Class of 2023! I had a great time meeting you all at 2nd Look but Case just wasn't the place I was meant to go Wishing everyone the best!

I just withdrew, too! Best of luck everyone!!