2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi

When sending in an update/LOI should we upload it on the portal or email it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when the adcom will meet?

Didn't they say they don't release decisions until all the way at the end in like March?

Edit: although in terms of sending updates that would be nice to know, i guess it's always good to send them as soon as possible

Didn't they say they don't release decisions until all the way at the end in like March?

I thought so too, but I am thinking about the email that Dean Armstrong Coben sent saying to give updates by mid February. Just wondering how all of that fits together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure decisions are sent out near the end of Feb, based on previous P&S threads :)

Pretty sure decisions are sent out near the end of Feb, based on previous P&S threads :)

So adcom would probably be meeting beginning/middle of Feb?

Reactions: 1 user

I would assume so!!! Somewhere around that timeframe seems likely. :) Also, happy New Year guys, I hope 2019 brings you all fulfillment, happiness, and peace!

I would assume so!!! Somewhere around that timeframe seems likely. :) Also, happy New Year guys, I hope 2019 brings you all fulfillment, happiness, and peace!

Thank you!! Happy new year to you too!

I believe their last interview is in the first week of February, so that sounds right

II's still trickling out, confirmed.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a way to connect with current students to talk to them about their experiences? I’m interested in hearing from someone about the housing situation and their experiences with the program

I am a current student who is happy to talk to you (or anyone else) myself. I can also connect you with anyone who has more expertise in whatever you would like to talk about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know how strict the pre-requisites are for Columbia? I am currently enrolled in Orgo-II, but I looked at all the schools I am still in the running (hopefully) for and Columbia is the only one that seems strict about it. Can I substitute a biochemistry course, or an upper year (3rd year chem) course instead? Or, is it possible to finish Orgo-II in the summer prior to matriculation?

Any insight is appreciated

Hey does anyone know how strict the pre-requisites are for Columbia? I am currently enrolled in Orgo-II, but I looked at all the schools I am still in the running (hopefully) for and Columbia is the only one that seems strict about it. Can I substitute a biochemistry course, or an upper year (3rd year chem) course instead? Or, is it possible to finish Orgo-II in the summer prior to matriculation?

I would call them and ask to be safe. I've found pretty much every school flexible about the lab but not sure about the lecture.

I withdrew my II from here a few days ago - here’s hoping it ends up with one one of you!

I think you'll be fine if you complete it before matriculation, but I would contact them just to be sure.

Hey guys I have an interview here tomorrow and for some reason my portal does not load at all. All the information regarding times and location of the interview is on the portal. Could anyone be so kind as to provide me with those details? I would really appreciate it
I'm also having the same problem with my portal. Could someone also message me the details of where and when interviewers assemble?

Hey! So I uploaded an update to my portal and I can't see it. Is this normal?

My fingers are triple-crossed that they're still handing out a few more II. :shrug:

Can any current students speak to whether anyone gets accepted outright after interviewing late in the cycle (i.e. late Jan/early Feb)? Historically it seems like everyone from those dates gets waitlisted.

Can any current students speak to whether anyone gets accepted outright after interviewing late in the cycle (i.e. late Jan/early Feb)? Historically it seems like everyone from those dates gets waitlisted.

I know people who interviewed in Dec and Jan that got accepted outright and I know people who interviewed a lot earlier that were waitlisted and then accepted. I can't really say how common either scenario is, but they do happen.

Columbia sends so many emails post interviews. I mean I appreciate them, but my heart doesn’t...

Reactions: 10 users
I heard a rumor today that Columbia is giving free tuition next year is this true?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Not exactly. Students who qualify for financial aid will receive scholarships instead of loans. This doesn’t apply if you don’t qualify for need-based aid.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else get an email with information about the VP&S Scholarship?

Reactions: 5 users
My guess is that they don't care all that much about USNWR. Columbia will always be a top tier school.

I disagree. I think they do care about rank and it will be reflected in the metrics from this years class. All of the top schools care about rank.

Besides the sad looking first year dorms Columbia left one of the best impressions on me out of the schools I've visited. I'm sure they still care about the rankings but I don't think they really need to.

Reactions: 8 users
For the people that matter, I don't think any of them think that NYU is a better school than Columbia.
If you mean residency directors, maybe. Because they don't care about your wallet.

As someone who interviews for a reasonably competitive residency specialty, I would make no distinction between a Columbia student vs an NYU student. Both come from great schools with amazing opportunities for their students - it is all what the student does with their opportunities at these schools. If from a disadvantaged background, neither would have much debt upon graduating, given Columbia's elimination of loans for those with financial need.

As for the official ranking, the Deans really do care about the USNWR rankings. However, unlikely that the regular full-time faculty care a whole lot, as long as their school does not take a big tumble in the rankings. And I can't see students choosing one over the other, just based on ranking. There are certainly students who will find that NYU speaks to them and others who will prefer Columbia. And many will not really be able to make a decision without seeing the financial aid/COA in front of them. I do agree that the student housing at NYU is much more appealing however than Columbia's, but there is certainly the opportunity to find acceptable housing along the 1,2,3 subway, especially near the undergrad Columbia campus, that can be affordable for Columbia med students. For those coming straight out of a dorm or those unfamiliar with NYC, the idea of finding off-campus NYC housing will understandably seem onerous, which will put +1 in the NYU column for sure in the calculus for those lucky enough to be admitted to both.

As someone who interviews for a reasonably competitive residency specialty, I would make no distinction between a Columbia student vs an NYU student. Both come from great schools with amazing opportunities for their students - it is all what the student does with their opportunities at these schools. If from a disadvantaged background, neither would have much debt upon graduating, given Columbia's elimination of loans for those with financial need.

As for the official ranking, the Deans really do care about the USNWR rankings. However, unlikely that the regular full-time faculty care a whole lot, as long as their school does not take a big tumble in the rankings. And I can't see students choosing one over the other, just based on ranking. There are certainly students who will find that NYU speaks to them and others who will prefer Columbia. And many will not really be able to make a decision without seeing the financial aid/COA in front of them. I do agree that the student housing at NYU is much more appealing however than Columbia's, but there is certainly the opportunity to find acceptable housing along the 1,2,3 subway, especially near the undergrad Columbia campus, that can be affordable for Columbia med students. For those coming straight out of a dorm or those unfamiliar with NYC, the idea of finding off-campus NYC housing will understandably seem onerous, which will put +1 in the NYU column for sure in the calculus for those lucky enough to be admitted to both.
Honestly housing wise Icahn>>>NYU>Columbia. Columbia only has crappy housing for the first year, and then it's better than NYU, so I wouldn't consider it much worse personally.

Do you (or anyone else) know if Columbia includes expected parental contribution in their need analysis?

Honestly housing wise Icahn>>>NYU>Columbia. Columbia only has crappy housing for the first year, and then it's better than NYU, so I wouldn't consider it much worse personally.

Do you (or anyone else) know if Columbia includes expected parental contribution in their need analysis?

That's true, the upper class apartments are amazing.

And pretty sure they said we need include parental info on the fafsa so I'd assume they take it into account. Otherwise I think most of the class would be considered in need haha.

Rankings between top 20 schools barely matter. Their students will do well regardless of whether they’re #6, #12, or #18.
Yup, which is why what really matters is money . Free tuition>>Columbia's system. Don't get me wrong Columbia is awesome, and finances aside I liked it better than NYU, but from an applicant/student perspective I don't think it really compares to NYU for most applicants.

Dude at this point there’s no difference. The students at both are amazing. But only one of them is freee

I think for a lot of people who would get the need based aid, Columbia might actually be better since they cover housing too. In the end i liked both schools but I'd come Columbia if it ended up being free for me (and somehow i got in to both of these crazy schools).

I think for a lot of people who would get the need based aid, Columbia might actually be better since they cover housing too. In the end i liked both schools but I'd come Columbia if it ended up being free for me (and somehow i got in to both of these crazy schools).
My understanding is NYU is providing COL to a significant portion of their class as well based on need. That is just what I've heard on here though so I'm not sure how true it is or what percent of the class gets it. With that said, I'm in your boat because loved the area around Columbia. At that point deciding between the two is just personal preference and you can't really go wrong .

Reactions: 2 users
What are the ballpark cut offs for need based aid?
I remember from undergrad it was normally a combined family income of under 100-120K. Over that you’re unlikely to see any need based aid. Under 60K combined, you have a good case for full COA in need.

I remember from undergrad it was normally a combined family income of under 100-120K. Over that you’re unlikely to see any need based aid. Under 60K combined, you have a good case for full COA in need.
I think it's very different from undergrad though, at least at columbia. Their system is "debt-free" meaning they will evaluate your EFC and essentially that is what you pay (up to the full COA). How they evaluate EFC though I don't know. I doubt they only consider the FAFSA EFC evaluation.

What are the ballpark cut offs for need based aid?
Google FAFSA4caster (i think that's what it's called) and you can input different personal and family incomes and assets and see what the EFC would be. Assuming Columbia's algorithms are relatively similar to the feds, that's about what you would be paying per year