2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who interviewed and sent a thank you note receive an email like this?

“.... Although it is too soon to know definitely how things will go this year, I can assure you that the Admissions Committee will keep you very strongly in mind. It would be helpful to us if you provide us with an update prior to mid-February.”

Just curious to know if this is a form/standard acknowledgment of thank you note receipt.
It is

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone who interviewed and sent a thank you note receive an email like this?

“.... Although it is too soon to know definitely how things will go this year, I can assure you that the Admissions Committee will keep you very strongly in mind. It would be helpful to us if you provide us with an update prior to mid-February.”

Just curious to know if this is a form/standard acknowledgment of thank you note receipt.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has already been interviewed had to speak in Spanish? Just wondering if I need to brush up on my skills at all. I listed myself as “advanced,” and I definitely feel comfortable speaking, but my vocabulary probably isn’t what it used to be. Any input would be great! Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has already been interviewed had to speak in Spanish? Just wondering if I need to brush up on my skills at all. I listed myself as “advanced,” and I definitely feel comfortable speaking, but my vocabulary probably isn’t what it used to be. Any input would be great! Thanks :)

>Have seen at least 2 people on this thread mention that they had interview conversations in Spanish based on their responses on the AMCAS application

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who sent updates did you just upload them directly into the portal or did you email them too?

For those of you who sent updates did you just upload them directly into the portal or did you email them too?

I just uploaded to the portal. Then I received an "update received" email a few days later .

Reactions: 1 users
No one has heard anything from Bassett yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn't ask if I could find it but has anyone gotten a pre-II rejection?

Interviewed at Bassett. They do 5 groups of 10 interviewees each until dec

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has Columbia been pretty silent on II lately (regular MD)? Are they almost done sending out IIs or are they running behind schedule?
I've heard nothing (regular MD applicant). Was complete end of August. I looked at least year's thread and I saw several II posted mid-late November.

was complete mid-August and haven't heard anything. Seems like most schools are a bit delayed this year but it is weird how silent they are being now. Part of me thinks they're delayed but I'm skeptic - they may be done

I called them today! They were really nice. Said they're still giving out interviews and their interview cycle will last until February.

Reactions: 13 users
I called them today! They were really nice. Said they're still giving out interviews and their interview cycle will last until February.
Thanks for asking. I have been pretty disappointed since I was complete in July and still have not heard back. Do they reject pre II?

No problem! I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I think they're a little behind this year. I didn't ask them, but from my understanding they do not reject pre II

RE foreign languages: I interviewed here, listed advanced in Spanish and that I could translate from Spanish, and wasn’t asked anything about it in the interview!

Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
Got an II here today. Regular MD. Complete mid-August. Only dates were in February

Reactions: 11 users
Hi there, has anyone heard from the PhD to MD 3 year program? Thanks

Hi there, has anyone heard from the PhD to MD 3 year program? Thanks

No, not yet. Looking at last year's thread, PhD to MD 3y program invites seem to have gone out quite late in the cycle.

• Love
For anyone that submitted an update here--when you uploaded the pdf, can you see it afterward? Or did you just get the "success!" message and then there's no further record of it from the portal?

For anyone that submitted an update here--when you uploaded the pdf, can you see it afterward? Or did you just get the "success!" message and then there's no further record of it from the portal?

Yes, got email but can’t see it.

On their website, it says that they send II until January but given that currently available dates are in February I don't know if they actually are going to do it this year.

On their website, it says that they send II until January but given that currently available dates are in February I don't know if they actually are going to do it this year.
I'm guessing at this point interviews will only become available whenever someone else cancels their interview date.

II, complete late august! regular MD, dates for end of jan/early feb

Reactions: 8 users
I haven't been able to find anything online re: the interview format. Am I correct in assuming its one hour-long interview, or no?

I haven't been able to find anything online re: the interview format. Am I correct in assuming its one hour-long interview, or no?
Mine was one open file ~40 minute long interview :)

Last edited:

I had two open file, 45 min interviews. One with faculty, one with a student. Not everyone will have a student interviewer

Depending on the day you go you may also have a student interviewer. I've gotta say the student interviewer i had at Columbia was by far the best student one I've had though. Not sure if it was just my case or if Columbia trains them really well.

Depending on the day you go you may also have a student interviewer. I've gotta say the student interviewer i had at Columbia was by far the best student one I've had though. Not sure if it was just my case or if Columbia trains them really well.
I think they mentioned Tues and Thurs had student interviewers—I could be completely mis-remembering though lol. Agreed in regards to the student interviewers though, I had a fantastic conversation with mine while getting a lot of info about the student experience as well. It definitely helps that they're all M4s.

I think they mentioned Tues and Thurs had student interviewers—I could be completely mis-remembering though lol. Agreed in regards to the student interviewers though, I had a fantastic conversation with mine while getting a lot of info about the student experience as well. It definitely helps that they're all M4s.

We mighve had the same date lol because i remember we overheard them saying something like that about Tuesday/Thursday groups...

Can't believe these places interview every day, that seems exhausting.

Why are they so ahead of schedule this year? Last year they gave out II in January for dates in February and it seems like this year they are almost done with II. It really hurts cause this school was in top 3 for me and I have not heard back despite being complete in the end of July :/

Why are they so ahead of schedule this year? Last year they gave out II in January for dates in February and it seems like this year they are almost done with II. It really hurts cause this school was in top 3 for me and I have not heard back despite being complete in the end of July :/

maybe because dean nicholas left? who knows...

Hey, does everyone who sends in thank you notes receive this email from the dean a week or 2 after the interview?

Hey, does everyone who sends in thank you notes receive this email from the dean a week or 2 after the interview?

I only sent one to my interviewer/uploaded that note to the portal, and I didn’t get this email! I just got a generic “thank you for your continued interest.” Did you send your thank you directly to the dean/admissions committee?

Yeah I did the same. Not sure when you interviewed, but I interviewed 11/13 + uploaded the notes two days later, and only just got the email yesterday. So if you interviewed more recently it’s possible they just take a while to send this response?

I only sent one to my interviewer/uploaded that note to the portal, and I didn’t get this email! I just got a generic “thank you for your continued interest.” Did you send your thank you directly to the dean/admissions committee?

I got this, as did my friend who interviewed here this cycle.

I got this, too.