2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quillen announced yesterday that, starting in Fall 2019, they would be moving to a Pass/ Fail system for grades! Just another reason to love this school!
Is this just for M1 year or is this for both M1 and M2?

Members don't see this ad.

Quillen announced yesterday that, starting in Fall 2019, they would be moving to a Pass/ Fail system for grades! Just another reason to love this school!

This is honestly a game changer. The grades pre clinical was my only qualm with the school- so awesome to hear they’re open to change

Members don't see this ad :)
This is honestly a game changer. The grades pre clinical was my only qualm with the school- so awesome to hear they’re open to change
Unfortunately it is still ranked, which I don’t get. Why make it P/F if it’s still ranked? Because now you just don’t know your rank until after you can alter your study habits to change it

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like the Quillen facebook page is at 67 members..Wow I really didn't think the class would fill up so quickly.

A lot of the people in the group are senior students.
oh wow, really? How many would you say are seniors? I noticed a couple of non-student admins, but I assumed the rest would be new students. That makes me somewhat hopeful.

oh wow, really? How many would you say are seniors? I noticed a couple of non-student admins, but I assumed the rest would be new students. That makes me somewhat hopeful.

There's one non-student admin, and the other two admins are me and another poster on this thread. I'd say at least half of the people in the group are current students.

That's good to know. I'm not going to lie--I've been checking the FB group and seeing the number slowly rise has been very disconcerting to say the least haha.

so they will most likely be making a dent in the hold list at some point, right? I called on Tuesday and Amanda said that this week was the very last week of interviews and as of now the hold list has not become a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately it is still ranked, which I don’t get. Why make it P/F if it’s still ranked? Because now you just don’t know your rank until after you can alter your study habits to change it

I'm not positive, but I would imagine you are still getting your exact grades as you go. That way, you still have a pretty good idea of how you're doing. However, everything will be recorded as either P/F for transcript purposes. Just a guess!

I'm not positive, but I would imagine you are still getting your exact grades as you go. That way, you still have a pretty good idea of how you're doing. However, everything will be recorded as either P/F for transcript purposes. Just a guess!

You will still get numerical grades for each exam/assignment you complete but it will be recorded as P/F on your transcript. However, class rank will be preserved. The new rule will be that you cannot view your class rank until after 2nd year. As for clinical years, those will also be P/F grades but they will record your numerical grade for each clerkship and that will be shown on your MSPE for residency directors to distinguish how well you performed in each clerkship. I'm a current M1, so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

You will still get numerical grades for each exam/assignment you complete but it will be recorded as P/F on your transcript. However, class rank will be preserved. The new rule will be that you cannot view your class rank until after 2nd year. As for clinical years, those will also be P/F grades but they will record your numerical grade for each clerkship and that will be shown on your MSPE for residency directors to distinguish how well you performed in each clerkship. I'm a current M1, so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

What is the benefit of any of that? Seems like they are just giving you less information on the front end, and everywhere you apply to after will get the numbers they need to evaluate you anyways. Honestly curious why students prefer this and why schools are moving toward this. I’m not against it per say, just doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

What is the benefit of any of that? Seems like they are just giving you less information on the front end, and everywhere you apply to after will get the numbers they need to evaluate you anyways. Honestly curious why students prefer this and why schools are moving toward this. I’m not against it per say, just doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

Not every p/f school is like that. Some of them actually don’t rank you and don’t include your position in the class in the mspe.

Not every p/f school is like that. Some of them actually don’t rank you and don’t include your position in the class in the mspe.
Yeah when people are talking about true P/F they’re talking about having no internal ranking at all. What Quillen is doing here I don’t quite get.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email that ETSU received my fafsa as of today. I guess they're finally getting to the finaid stuff? lol

I’ve received zero financial aid correspondence from them

OKAY guys this was my bad, i think i only received this message because I am already in their system. didn't mean to startle y'all.

Just FYI for people wondering about financial aid/scholarships, I did receive a letter informing me I had received one of the institutional scholarships they offer. Is that what you are referring to as financial aid packages?

Just FYI for people wondering about financial aid/scholarships, I did receive a letter informing me I had received one of the institutional scholarships they offer. Is that what you are referring to as financial aid packages?
Yeah , when did you receive it ? Was it in the email ?

when are they going to update the stats page?
Man, this is agonizing:(

Ok , I was accepted roughly 5 weeks later , so I guess my letter is still snailing :)

I think he's referring to the scholarship that all people from East TN receive (it's like 5k/yr or something) so if you're not from East TN you don't get it im p sure. i got the same thing.

• Sad
Anyone know how diverse this school is? I haven’t seen stats anywhere

Well just had to make a hard decision, but my other school is just a better fit financially and other soft factors. Just withdrew from here. Hope it goes to another OOS military applicant. Good luck everyone. In a different situation I would have been thrilled to go here!

Reactions: 4 users
I really like Quillen but I wonder sometimes if being in a smaller area has any drawbacks in terms of options for rotations and how much you get to do on those rotations. Any thoughts from current students or what you've heard from current students?

I really like Quillen but I wonder sometimes if being in a smaller area has any drawbacks in terms of options for rotations and how much you get to do on those rotations. Any thoughts from current students or what you've heard from current students?

I asked this same question to the fourth year who was my tour guide. She said it’s very hands on, and that you are expected to do as much as possible for your patients. She’s intubated and helped put in chest tubes. I also have a friend who is a third year on surgery there, and she gets to close all the time.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

From my experiences (which is relatively small since I'm just a first year), the rotations here are really good and give you a lot of autonomy in treating patients. Even as first years we get to do a lot of clinical hands on training that is built into the curriculum. A third year that I have talked too got to assist with a C-section and help close the incision on her OB/GYN rotation just a few weeks ago. It is a smaller area but we are the biggest city outside of Knoxville, so we have a lot of medical practices to accommodate that.

From my experiences (which is relatively small since I'm just a first year), the rotations here are really good and give you a lot of autonomy in treating patients. Even as first years we get to do a lot of clinical hands on training that is built into the curriculum. A third year that I have talked too got to assist with a C-section and help close the incision on her OB/GYN rotation just a few weeks ago. It is a smaller area but we are the biggest city outside of Knoxville, so we have a lot of medical practices to accommodate that.
This is good to hear. To clarify I'm from Northeast Tennessee so I'm familiar with the area. Thanks for your answer. I'm also curious what impacts the merger will have on medical education in the area.

This is good to hear. To clarify I'm from Northeast Tennessee so I'm familiar with the area. Thanks for your answer. I'm also curious what impacts the merger will have on medical education in the area.

We haven't gotten any information that would make me think it will affect clinical rotations. I know a few physicians who are heavily involved with Quillen think it was a great move but that is just a few peoples opinions.

When I checked last year's thread it seemed most of the movement occurred around April 30. Obviously every year is different but I would imagine that's around the multiple acceptances deadline.

Anyone know the board passing rates here?