2018-2019 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had an amazing time here on interview. Only slight damper is when my interviewer told me it was a shame I was interviewing so late in the cycle and that he/she hopes I find a good med school. :( Maybe there is hope though!
He/she probably didn’t mean it in a hurtful way! There are plenty of people with multiple acceptances and they can only attend one med school. Take heart, after 30 April it’s going to get interesting and that might mean interesting for you too.

Members don't see this ad.

After much deliberation, declined acceptance, hope goes to one of you!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Guess he was trying to be positive because the interviewers aren’t actually on the admissions committee. They just give their feedback to the committee. So probably was trying to be positive. We will have to see when they update the stats page to see how many spots they have. Hang in there though. I’ve been on the hold list for a while now. It sucks and at this point I don’t know if I’ll get off.

Just FYI, some of them are. One of my interviewers is on the committee.

Yeah, it caught me really off guard. The interviewer did preface it by saying they weren’t sure how many seats were actually left, but it didn’t sound promising. It stemmed from me asking the interviewer if they had any general advice for me, and the answer was like: “you should apply sooner. This is the last interview group and it’s a shame it’s so late in the cycle.” Then when we wrapped up “I hope you end up at a good medical school - I’m sure you will.” Again that was only from one person, though, and that person was nice and meant it in a positive way but it stung a little. Aside from that I had a fantastic time and everyone was great.I just hope it’s not too late for real consideration.

Keep in mind that last year they offered 135 acceptances, which is ~1.9x their number of seats. Schools usually offer between 1.5-2x their number of seats, and so by this time last year (and probably most years) they had likely already offered more than 72 acceptances. They haven't updated the stats page yet, but after the January board, they had only offered 40 total acceptances. So things are a bit different this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in February and still haven’t heard anything.. no email, call, or letter (and I don’t live far away). Anybody else in the same boat? Wondering if I should give Amanda a call

Interviewed in February and still haven’t heard anything.. no email, call, or letter (and I don’t live far away). Anybody else in the same boat? Wondering if I should give Amanda a call
I would wait. The interview sheet says to give it a week, I think.

I'm in the same boat. I'm assuming an R is coming by snail mail this week. If after a week passes and I haven't heard anything I'll contact them.

Quillen has another round of interviews next week, FYI.

I got that from this:

It stemmed from me asking the interviewer if they had any general advice for me, and the answer was like: “you should apply sooner. This is the last interview group and it’s a shame it’s so late in the cycle.”

Is that interviewer incorrect, or did I misinterpret?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they still have 4 seats unfilled and no more interviews. Surprised at how many OOS offers they made though.
Wonder how it will all pan out. Like what are the chances of getting off the hold list at this point. Seems like there is a lot of OOS people on hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Although they have 68 spots filled, there is still a lot of room for movement, correct? Been on the hold list since December and trying to remain hopeful.

Although they have 68 spots filled, there is still a lot of room for movement, correct? Been on the hold list since December and trying to remain hopeful.
I have been on the hold list just like you, trying to stay positive. Last year they offered 135 acceptances for 72 spots. So far this year they have offered 82. So I assume there will be movement.

I have been on the hold list just like you, trying to stay positive. Last year they offered 135 acceptances for 72 spots. So far this year they have offered 82. So I assume there will be movement.
Thats what I was thinking. Wasn't sure if the new traffic rules might affect how many acceptances are offered?

Thats what I was thinking. Wasn't sure if the new traffic rules might affect how many acceptances are offered?

I am guessing they probably offered 72 but four people did not accept or have not decided yet so that's why you have only 68. Are you in state or out?

Do yall think they will offer anywhere close to 135 acceptances this year?

My instinct tells me no because of how carefully they’ve been giving them out, burn I'm betting there’s still a decent amount of movement.

That’s also just a guess, and really there’s no way for any of us to really tell.

My instinct tells me no because of how carefully they’ve been giving them out, burn I'm betting there’s still a decent amount of movement.

That’s also just a guess, and really there’s no way for any of us to really tell.
I'm on the hold list, and was thinking the same. Well darn, maybe I'll get lucky. Thank you for the input.

Well isn’t part of is they needed to offer 135 to cover people who declined acceptance. As in if they had to offer 135 to fill the class.

Got my interview this Wednesday! Super stoked!

Reactions: 2 users
Yep! I'm In-State. Have heard really good things about the people, program, and area!
I’m out of state, in Virginia but I loved the school and everyone in Johnson City was so friendly!

Can someone explain what the “current accepted” means on ETSUs entering class page (someone that actually knows). Because I know it doesn’t mean all 68 of them are 100% going there. No school has that percent of commitment right now, not even Top 10 schools. Is it just like all the people who got accepted and didn’t withdrawal their application at that point?

Can someone explain what the “current accepted” means on ETSUs entering class page (someone that actually knows). Because I know it doesn’t mean all 68 of them are 100% going there. No school has that percent of commitment right now, not even Top 10 schools. Is it just like all the people who got accepted and didn’t withdrawal their application at that point?
i am not sure, but i know that i am one of the acceptances, and i am waiting on financial package. BTW does anyone know when to expect it? LIke, a full financial package with cost, scholarships, etc?

After you are accepted, you have to “accept the acceptance” so to speak. There’s a site where you go on and pay the $100 deposit to accept your seat. That’s what that is. So 68 out of 82 have done that (you only have 2 weeks to do it).

i am not sure, but i know that i am one of the acceptances, and i am waiting on financial package. BTW does anyone know when to expect it? LIke, a full financial package with cost, scholarships, etc?

April or May. But just FYI, Quillen apparently doesn’t give large scholarships to a few people, they give small amounts to almost everyone. But you should also be IS tuition.

After you are accepted, you have to “accept the acceptance” so to speak. There’s a site where you go on and pay the $100 deposit to accept your seat. That’s what that is. So 68 out of 82 have done that (you only have 2 weeks to do it).

April or May. But just FYI, Quillen apparently doesn’t give large scholarships to a few people, they give small amounts to almost everyone. But you should also be IS tuition.
yeah, but i am OOS... but you mean, IS will be given to me because of veteran status?

Yeah, if you look at last year they offered acceptance to almost double the number of people who actually matriculated. So there is a fair number of people who turn down acceptances. That’s true at any medical school though.

Yeah, if you look at last year they offered acceptance to almost double the number of people who actually matriculated. So there is a fair number of people who turn down acceptances. That’s true at any medical school though.

Yes most schools have to offer 1.5-2x the number of seats. Some are higher, some on the lower end.

No , I don’t qualify . I got out in 2016
That other link is outdated. It is three years now so they conform with the CHOICE act.

https://www.etsu.edu/com/vetswelcome/pc0219-tn-veterans-support-act.pdf

https://www.etsu.edu/com/vetswelcome/section_702_factsheet.pdf

BUT! and I am not sure of this but in 2017 they passed a law that all veterans get in state tuition, the generic ETSU veterans page talks about it here

Veterans Benefit Programs - East Tennessee State University - Acalog ACMS™

applicable law is here

https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/acts/110/pub/pc0031.pdf

What I do not know is if this carries over to the medical school.

I have not looked that closely, as I am waiting to get accepted.

That other link is outdated. It is three years now so they conform with the CHOICE act.

BUT! and I am not sure of this but in 2017 they passed a law that all veterans get in state tuition, the generic ETSU veterans page talks about it here

applicable law is here

Basically whatever happens happens

Basically whatever happens happens
Just call and ask what the current status is lol. When I interviewed I asked about this and they said all vets get in-state tuition but I didn't ask financial aid, she was on vacation I think. so they may not be 100% clear on it.

applicable law is here

The other link is etsu policy. Since QCOM is part of etsu and carried the old policy over, I’d assume it carries this one over too. @mmaslyanko you can email Amanda Cole and she will ask financial aid for you.

Just call and ask what the current status is lol. When I interviewed I asked about this and they said all vets get in-state tuition but I didn't ask financial aid, she was on vacation I think. so they may not be 100% clear on it.

I was also told I would get IS and they didn’t even ask me how long I would have been out, so I’m guessing it’s just any vet now.

I was also told I would get IS and they didn’t even ask me how long I would have been out, so I’m guessing it’s just any vet now.
Yeah I agree. I just don’t think their stuff posted online is that accurate. But the IS tuition and being veteran friendly is was what attracted me to the school initially.