2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Bradenton, Florida)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those accepted, roughly how long did it take after your interview? Some students told me 1-2 weeks, but the faculty weren’t as clear.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'd say about 2-3 weeks. For me, I interviewed in august and did regular decision, so I had to wait until November 15th. But many other people who chose early decision found out about 2 weeks after. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say about 2-3 weeks. For me, I interviewed in august and did regular decision, so I had to wait until November 15th. But many other people who chose early decision found out about 2 weeks after. Good luck
Were you informed of your acceptance by email or by snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
for anyone who has gotten accepted, do you know what your portal said before you got the letter in the mail? feeling like this is a rejection if i did not get a deposit link but who knows
Mine said same thing and I was accepted nov 21

so I relied on this thread for interview tips, now I will give back to the community ;)
December 3rd

The Group Interview
6 applicants and 2 faculty members. They asked us scenario questions and one about how you will fit with PBL (can't go into specifics :eyebrow:). I was a little bit nervous, but it was typical. Some questions I couldn't think of a good answer quickly, so I just added to someone's comment. The faculties were nice and laid back. I think everyone did well in our group. Before the interview, we were assigned seats according to our group. So we got to talk to each other a little bit. The other applicants were nice and it was not hard to talk to them during the interview.

The one-on-one interview

It was as fast as some of the previous posts mentioned, but I did not feel rushed at all. I had plenty of time to think and develop my answers to the fullest. It was really laid back and enjoyable. For me, this session was easier and more fun than the group interview. (now, don't get me wrong. The group interview was not too difficult either). In total, I estimate about 8-10 minutes for this session?? The first question was a written prompt. You have to read it and answer it. The second was why osteopathic medicine. And then you get to ask them your questions. I don't think the prompt was hard, because they leave a huge clue to lead you in the right direction. Some people had two on one, I had just one faculty interviewing me.

What is PBL?
It's self-directed learning. You basically outline the chapters of interest with your group or on your own. THen you go and read from the textbook. The second-year told us that it was about 4-6 hours of studying a day. They all reassured us that it was definitely do-able. Big take away was that you do not study all day every day. You apparently get used to it by the second semester. The students collaborate on group notes, I saw a shared google doc during the PBL session. The majority of PBL is learning on your own by using the textbook. The group discussion is actually a small portion, it's just there to make sure everyone understands the reading. At least, that's what I gathered. The PBL session itself was enjoyable. The instructor not only discussed the concepts but give insights to procedures and little tips from the instructor's medical practice experience. So there's more to PBL than this but the main idea is self-directed learning and reading the textbook.

Environment

The building itself is very clean and modern. No food or drinks allowed anywhere except in the cafeteria. The PBL classrooms are perfect for the number of students and instructor in the room. The Lakewood Ranch community is nice. It did not feel too quiet despite far away from the city. You can drive to Tampa or st. pete for fun stuff, if you have time.... There is a pond in the back with alligators. The non-Floridians were surprised about this. :rofl: It seems a lot of people rent at the apartments nearby but there are many other options that are like 15 minutes away. The students said that they don't really come to campus unless they have a class or want to study here. They usually study at other places like in their apartments, cafe, etc.

The infamous security guard

My experience with the security guard was actually good. He was not rude at all. I wouldn't worry about this.

COMLEX Scores

So they gave us the average score from previous years and showed us their score ranking. Class of 2020, LECOM Bradenton level 1 mean was 562. Class of 2019, it was 592 (this was an outlier to me). Class 2018, 552. Class of 2017, 551. The first time pass rate was 98%-99% consistently. The campus score ranking was 1st and 2nd most of the time. This data was assessed by a third party. There is a merger coming up and they did admit that there will be a slight decreased in match rate because of it, at least initially. Also the chart they provided scale up to 600 on the y-axis but that is not the maximum score on the COMLEX.

This cycle status

The administrator said that about 30 spots were filled. I think the class size is almost 200. I counted about 26 candidates that day.

*please take everything i say with a grain of salt. i try to be accurate but i'm still human. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Good to see August and July pre-II submissions get interviews. I submitted mine in August as well. I am waiting any day now. How did you get your II notification? email? phone?

Interviewed here on the 30th. Does anyone have an idea around when we should be hearing back regarding a decision?

Interviewed here on the 30th. Does anyone have an idea around when we should be hearing back regarding a decision?

I interviewed the same day. I’ve heard different things regarding when to expect our letters. Students at LECOM said 1-2 weeks. Students recently accepted said 2-3 weeks. Faculty gave no specific timeline. Difficult to say when we’ll be getting our letters, but I’m hoping it’ll be either this week or early next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have their Folder Items still marked as not entered, when they applied months ago? (still all red Xs)

Does anyone have their Folder Items still marked as not entered, when they applied months ago? (still all red Xs)
Even if you get an interview and confirm a date, still check. My items didn’t get checked off until I emailed them four days before my interview.

Did anyone else receive a very informal and unprofessional acceptance message? I was told that there "was a position for me" at LECOM and to "let them know if I want it".

Did anyone else receive a very informal and unprofessional acceptance message? I was told that there "was a position for me" at LECOM and to "let them know if I want it".

Was that via email?

I received a call yesterday asking if I was still interested in the school or if I had already committed elsewhere. When I said I was still interested they told me they'd mail me my acceptance and to let them know within 30 days if I changed my mind.
Sounds to me like they just want to make sure they're offering acceptances to ppl who will most likely attend their school. It can be a hassle for admissions to deal with applicants who are just holding on to their acceptance only to withdraw last minute.

I was surprised though because during my interview they explicitly stated that they only informed applicants of their decision by snail mail, not email or phone.

I received a call yesterday asking if I was still interested in the school or if I had already committed elsewhere. When I said I was still interested they told me they'd mail me my acceptance and to let them know within 30 days if I changed my mind.
Sounds to me like they just want to make sure they're offering acceptances to ppl who will most likely attend their school. It can be a hassle for admissions to deal with applicants who are just holding on to their acceptance only to withdraw last minute.

I was surprised though because during my interview they explicitly stated that they only informed applicants of their decision by snail mail, not email or phone.

When did you interview?

Does LECOM take updates pre-II? if so, where do we send it?

Got the same thing this morning. Interviewed on 11/12.

When did you get your letter? I’d like to have an idea on when to expect a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I'm still waiting for the official letter. My portal updated to say the committee had made a decision on my application the day after they called me ,so I'm assuming that's when they mailed it out.
I live in Atlanta so it might just take a little longer for it to get to me

does anyone else have an "orientation requirements" folder on their portal?

Yup.

Being how busy they are before the holiday (and in general) I hesitate to call it informal and unprofessional. Granted, I didn't get the message and likely was with one of you one the dates in November :) however, they really seem interested in a quality headcount. So I consider it lucky if you were exceptional enough to get a personal message rather than just a portal update. Everything there seems incredible, minus the humidity :p

Received my acceptance letter in the mail this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview by email. Gonna decline, so hopefully someone else here gets it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Anyone else think the partial session with the current students for the PBL session was awesome? I love the fact if you get accepted you can literally spend a day with the students to ensure you will find the learning environment the best for you and your peers/group members. The interview day was great all the way through IMO.
I can't tell by the username, but I'm sure I saw you - mirlee95 as I was that interview day too lol. Congratulations by the way :) I still my fingers crossed for LECOM, as I also interviewed in Erie.

Does anyone know if the attendance is mandatory?

II just now. Complete in like August. How does this school compare to other DO schools?? I’m set on ICOM right now but this tuition is tempting!

It is. The schools curriculum is taught through PBL, so since you're in small groups of only 8 students, it's important that everyone is present in order for the classes to run smoothly. I believe the PBL classes only meet three times a week (2 hours each) though. And of course, OMM lab attendance would be mandatory as well.

If there are any current students reading this, feel free to correct me though.

That is like the biggest complaint about the school, mandatory attendance, no food and drink outside the cafe, and business/professional dress code

What percentage of this school places into EM??

In 2018 about 25 out of 195
In 2017 about 15 out if 195

Accepted just now via phone call!

Interviewed on 12/10

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted as well via phone about an hour ago! Interviewed 11/30.

Reactions: 1 users