2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Bradenton, Florida)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I applied in July and received my secondary in August. I have a 3.6 gpa and a 499 mcat. Do I even stand any chance for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Portal just updated saying that I will be receiving an interview invitation via email - still haven't received the email, but a huge surprise as my portal hadn't been updated in almost two months.
Secondary was submitted August 29th

Last edited:
Submitted my Primary in August, Secondary September 10, and received an II today. I chose to interview December 7.
Congrats to all the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete on 8/15 and received an II invite. Scheduled for 12/7. Hopefully there will be some nice weather

Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT INTERVIEW INVITATION TODAY!!! first one! really excited right now! There is HOPE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I applied in July and received my secondary in August. I have a 3.6 gpa and a 499 mcat. Do I even stand any chance for an interview?

I have very similar stats and I received an acceptance :) I believe LECOM looks at your entire application.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been under review since June, IS LM 64-65 should I call or is this a silent rejection?

Reactions: 2 users
My status changed to " Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Anyone else get this and have it turn into an II or is this on its way to a rejection?

My status changed to " Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Anyone else get this and have it turn into an II or is this on its way to a rejection?
My portal hasn't changed.

This turned into an II for me. I think it’s a good thing.

withdrawing my interview from here. Good luck everyone

Accepted a couple weeks ago. Going to put down my deposit, despite the uncertainty of third and fourth year. The tuition and board scores are great, as well as their matches each year. They must be doing something right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted a couple weeks ago. Going to put down my deposit, despite the uncertainty of third and fourth year. The tuition and board scores are great, as well as their matches each year. They must be doing something right.

congrats!

what uncertainty of third and fourth year?

congrats!

what uncertainty of third and fourth year?

Their rotation sites are based solely on their alumni. They do not pay for rotation sites like other schools, so they vary from year to year. That has a lot to do with their tuition being so affordable compared to a lot of other osteopathic schools. They mentioned that about half of the students would have to go out of state for rotations.

Their rotation sites are based solely on their alumni. They do not pay for rotation sites like other schools, so they vary from year to year. That has a lot to do with their tuition being so affordable compared to a lot of other osteopathic schools. They mentioned that about half of the students would have to go out of state for rotations.

Oh I heard about that, did you hear it ever being an issue while you were there?

Oh I heard about that, did you hear it ever being an issue while you were there?

Nope. I've heard its a big deal according to people on the internet that never attended, but most people that I've read about that attended here enjoyed their experience with their third and fourth years. They said that often times their rotations aren't at big teaching hospitals like a lot of other schools, which ends up being a bonus because they get more one-on-one time with a doctor as opposed to residents. Having said that, I still would rather have set rotations.

Nope. I've heard its a big deal according to people on the internet that never attended, but most people that I've read about that attended here enjoyed their experience with their third and fourth years. They said that often times their rotations aren't at big teaching hospitals like a lot of other schools, which ends up being a bonus because they get more one-on-one time with a doctor as opposed to residents. Having said that, I still would rather have set rotations.

thank you!!!

My interview is tomorrow 10/26, and I will get to TPA around 10:45 p.m tonight. If anyone wants to split an Uber or share a rental with me, please pm me. Thank you

My interview is tomorrow 10/26, and I will get to TPA around 10:45 p.m tonight. If anyone wants to split an Uber or share a rental with me, please pm me. Thank you
I'll see you tomorrow morning! I'm interviewing tomorrow too!

For anyone who interviewed Last week on 10/19 and chose the early decision- does your portal say "
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail, typically, within 14 days."

For anyone who interviewed Last week on 10/19 and chose the early decision- does your portal say "
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail, typically, within 14 days."

I am confused about the whole early decision. If you choose early decision, does that mean you are committed to attending LECOM if accepted?

@iwasthisclose
No it just means that you have that 30-day window to decide if you want to put a deposit down to hold your seat or not.

and you can pay the deposit, and still decide not to attend- but then you lose the money lol

FL resident. Submitted 8/21. Portal still says "The review process will now begin." :(((

How was the format? Was it 3 on 1

No, first it’s a group interview where two faculty members ask questions and you address other applicants with your answers. I felt like this was a great format. My group was very conversational and built off of each other’s ideas.

Then you have a one on one with a faculty member. Very laid back.

I loved the format :D

accepted- interviewed 10/19

i am not paying the $1500 deposit.
hope someone will get the spot. best of luck all of you.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else with relatively solid stats waiting for II since August? +1 If you're in this boat..

I believe it will be a mail, and I think our portal would change to ‘decision made’ made or so.
yup my portal says a decision has been made and I will get an official letter in the mail within 14 business days

for anyone who has gotten accepted, do you know what your portal said before you got the letter in the mail? feeling like this is a rejection if i did not get a deposit link but who knows

I was worried about this going into LECOM. However, everybody now has year-long sites. They are not all at huge teaching hospitals, but most people I know are having good experiences. I have also heard that LECOM is now paying for rotations, or at least some. Either way, everybody has year-long sites. This new system was implemented with my class. The downside is that people are no longer allowed to do "independent" rotations where they set up all their own rotations (there were too many falling through, thus leaving students twiddling their thumbs). The bright side is that we have somewhere to do all our rotations (some sites might still have you find your own FM rotation). So yeah, that little thing about "sites being based on their alumni..." not so sure about that - maybe in previous classes, but not mine, the class before, or the classes after.

Since I just interviewed here, I will share my two cents. If you back track to last years thread, there are members who commented about the interview style, and its still spot on as of 2018. Keep in mind, 7,000 applicants apple to Bradenton, 700-800 are interviewed, 200 matriculate. I dont recall how many people total are accepted (probably somewhere between 300-500) nor how many are waitlisted.

The format. We start off with a CLOSED file group interview session with a total of six students and two faculty. They ask us to answer questions, but to address one another as we sit around a table rather than directly towards them. Honestly, this was great. Looking at peers was much more comfortable than being stared down by two faculty members, as I have experienced at another interview. You also get the chance to build upon each other's thoughts, and create momentum in your answers. It is important not to dominant the conversation nor interrupt. Shout out to the people who start off these discussions first, because it gives everyone else a chance to think and reflect. Avoid rambling for too long, answer the question so that there is enough time for everyone else to chime in.

Following the group interview, we sat down for a one on one interview. Again, this involved two faculty, but this time we are given a prompt and told to read it out loud. I think this was suppose to be the MMI. My faculty members were extremely kind. When I gave my answer, one of them told me about what he liked about what I said, and addressed something I had forgotten. I really appreciated the way he did this, it was in a kind manner and for the first time in an interview, I was given feedback, which allowed me to learn from the experience.

Then we met with the dean for a short period of time. Then we speak with the PBL director. We then have the entire interview group split into two groups to get a campus tour with two student ambassadors that are second years, before returning and eating lunch with the OMS-2 students. Shout out to the OMS-2 keeping it real about their experiences at LECOM and not trying to sell us on a program that might not be right for us.

Then we observe the PBL session in live action, again with OMS-2 students. I personally think that I can definitely succeed in a PBL curriculum based on my personal experience. In medical school, we end up teaching ourselves anyways, so this is nothing new to me. My concern was really two folds.

1. If you have ever taken an online class before, without a professor emphasizing and deemphasizing certain topics, it can be overwhelming. I took medical terminology online, a relatively straightforward course, but the online exams were stressful because literally anything could be on the exam. There was no one to hint or guide us that certain terms were more likely to appear and be tested, thus we had to know it all. Students, and physicians I know that graduated from LECOM, have said that they wish that the PBL curriculum would incorporate a powerpoint or outline into the program, but the philosophy at LECOM-bradenton is strictly against such, per our PBL director.

2. If you have ever taken a science lab, you know how it feels to be overwhelmed with the material, the feeling of being unprepared, and not learning a damn thing. Remember those chemistry calculations? How the hell did we get a yield of 300%? I was afraid it would be the blind leading the blind. However, the students seemed to know their stuff. I can definitely see how an extrovert, teacher, or leader can succeed in the program. And if you do not feel like you are one of those individuals, you can find an opportunity to challenge yourself and work on these skills. Everyone reads the same material, and once again, builds off each other. They all share google docs with their notes and collaborate outside the class.

I enjoyed watching the PBL session. It was collaborative, an open environment to joke, talk, and learn. I was amazed when I saw everyone open a different textbook simultaneously when they got to a point in the patient's case that they did not know the answer to, and then they started to reference certain chapters for further learning. The goal with PBL and the patient cases is NOT to reach a correct diagnosis, but to find gaps in your knowledge, and read up on it for the next session. You will not be given an outline or powerpoints that emphasize certain science topics. And you certainly will NOT have anyone hold your hand to tell you what you need to know for an exam.

Overall, I enjoyed my time at LECOM. I certainly thought about cancelling my interview invite, but I am very glad I made the trip to see the school for myself. I also thought it was interesting that the ENTIRE interview was done by Ph.D and MD physicians. Go figure.

However, what concerned me was when the director of student affairs began to talk about third and fourth year doing clinical rotations. What I took away from his discussion was, "we do not have strong hospital affiliations yet, but we predict that you will be placed in the northeast of the US." He did not name a single hospital, and described being placed anywhere at all being a "privilege" since LECOM does not pay to have students at hospitals. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

I can handle the PBL. I can handle dress attire (most schools have this, ya'll), and even not having water with me when I am outside the cafeteria. I can even walk the halls that are heavily decorated with clowns alone in the dark without wetting myself. My interview felt very low stress and casual, and I enjoyed meeting the faculty. They seemed to be sincerely nice, kind, and well spoken. But the third and fourth year made me really concerned. Also, it seemed like NOT A SINGLE STUDENT here picked LECOM Bradenton over another school. It was always the same response of, "I did not get in anywhere else, but here." Damn.

For what its worth, they talked about the high COMPLEX score (ranked #1 and #2 in the nation for highest average over the course of a decade), and the high match rate, 31% in non primary care (surgery, EM, nephro, etc....) and the rest in primary care (FM, IM, PEDs, etc), with 100% match for the last graduating year.

Also, they are offering early decision (Mid September) and normal decision (Nov 15) for when you receive an answer post interview.

I got into Nova as well. Money was an issue for me, and I didn't think Nova would provide better results for the money. I was right - I got a 750 on COMLEX. It's not for everybody, though. My personality and style just fit well - I don't need my hand held. I get my **** done and am able to grasp concepts without too much difficulty. Let me know if you have any specific questions about good ole' LECOM Bradenton.

I got into Nova as well. Money was an issue for me, and I didn't think Nova would provide better results for the money. I was right - I got a 750 on COMLEX. It's not for everybody, though. My personality and style just fit well - I don't need my hand held. I get my **** done and am able to grasp concepts without too much difficulty. Let me know if you have any specific questions about good ole' LECOM Bradenton.

Am I mistaken, or does 750 equate to the 99th percentile??

I was worried about this going into LECOM. However, everybody now has year-long sites. They are not all at huge teaching hospitals, but most people I know are having good experiences. I have also heard that LECOM is now paying for rotations, or at least some. Either way, everybody has year-long sites. This new system was implemented with my class. The downside is that people are no longer allowed to do "independent" rotations where they set up all their own rotations (there were too many falling through, thus leaving students twiddling their thumbs). The bright side is that we have somewhere to do all our rotations (some sites might still have you find your own FM rotation). So yeah, that little thing about "sites being based on their alumni..." not so sure about that - maybe in previous classes, but not mine, the class before, or the classes after.

The whole rotations based on their alumni was what we were told by the head of student affairs at the interview.

The whole rotations based on their alumni was what we were told by the head of student affairs at the interview.

Ehh, Dr Ferreti knows a bit more on the topic. Honestly the only time you ever see Shively is when you interview and during orientation your first year.

Anyone interviewed on 10/26 received their decision letter yet?

Anyone interviewed on 10/26 received their decision letter yet?
I interviewed same day. My portal is not even changed to decision made yet. Has your portal changed to ‘decision made’?

I interviewed same day. My portal is not even changed to decision made yet. Has your portal changed to ‘decision made’?
Yes! It has. The decision letter has been mailed but I have yet to received it.

Does anyone know any residencies attached to this campus or the other Lecom campuses?