2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any info on financial aid yet?

Members don't see this ad.

To those that sent an update letter and/or LOI, where or who did you send them to?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we can expect to get our financial aid award letters?

Hello everyone! Still waiting for a response as an "alternate"... I know it's getting close with little to no change of possibly getting accepted, but is anyone (who is in the alternate list) doing anything at the moment i.e. looking for apartments just in case the odds will be at our favor?

Any alternate list movement for Seton Hill? Been on the waitlist since early January and not word.

Reactions: 1 users
Any alternate list movement for Seton Hill? Been on the waitlist since early January and not word.
I called today actually to check on any movement and LECOM-SHU admissions said they started reaching out to alternate list candidates. Not 100% sure when it started though.

kind of a random question for all you LECOM-Erie peeps, what internet provider do you guys use? whats the acceptable price range per month? Nothing fancy just enough to study and youtube.

Thanks in advance,
O

I called today actually to check on any movement and LECOM-SHU admissions said they started reaching out to alternate list candidates. Not 100% sure when it started though.
Think they’ll reach out via phone call like main campus has been? SDN has seen no movement from LECOM-SHU

Think they’ll reach out via phone call like main campus has been? SDN has seen no movement from LECOM-SHU
She mentioned that you'll receive a phone call and then a letter will follow in the mail. Yea, I figured they didn't start waitlist movement yet either since I didn't see any movement on SDN, but I always forget that SDN makes up only a fraction of the candidates who apply.

Did anyone get accepted using the ACT score? applying now, but taking mcat end of june so i am not sure what to do about that

I used my AIS of 115 (MCAT too low) and I’m waitlisted at Erie and Bradenton. Still struggling to get off despite strong extracurriculars (Scribe, EMT, Honors College, 2 medical groups, research experience, PCP shadowing, an extensive amount of volunteering, and a recent graduate). Unless you have a score significantly greater than their average acceptance (119 I believe), I would wait until you have your MCAT scores to apply. As for the later start, the admissions committee does not look at applications in the order they were received. I sent out my primary in June 2018 and didn’t get an II until end of January 2019. Just be patient.

oh ok, thank you! if mine is a 13 according to their website, should I wait?

That decision is up to you and what you feel best. If your practice exams consistently meet/exceed the 497 cutoff, I would hold off until you receive your scores. During my experience, it appears as if the committee places more emphasis on MCAT scores more than AIS. Last year, I took the MCAT way before I was prepared (mid-June). Technically, I can apply for the next cycle with same AIS. However, I am dedicating almost my entire summer to improve my score, and then I will apply once I receive that score. Since your score is similar to mine, you still do have a chance for interview and admission. However, you may also also find yourself stuck in the same situation as myself come next June.

Members don't see this ad :)
My practice score was a 506, but lets be real, im scared it is going to go lower. Since I have to apply to one school for verification, I was thinking of applying to one of the LECOMs and doing AIS just in case my mcat score is horrid and then doing the other lecom mcat.. any idea which lecom school is better to do act for (im a florida resident, if that helps)

If you're getting 506 on practice exams consistently, you'll be fine to apply without an AIS. However, I understand your situation. Furthermore, you might even be able to update your MCAT score after you submit your secondary containing the AIS (not 100% sure). However, I am not sure how admissions committees may perceive this...Relating to which school to apply to, I do not know if there is a difference on how they view AIS. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if there is still seat available at LECOM Erie ?

I would be pretty surprised if they haven't filled their class yet. That is not to say that there wont be seats that open up in the future! I myself am on a few waitlists closer to home. With the change in AAMC rules, I could see a lot of movement at DO schools late in the cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
I would be pretty surprised if they haven't filled their class yet. That is not to say that there wont be seats that open up in the future! I myself am on a few waitlists closer to home. With the change in AAMC rules, I could see a lot of movement at DO schools late in the cycle!

Yup if I get off one of my MD waitlists I'll likely give up my seat at LECOM and other applicants are in the same boat!

Any updates from anyone? I want to call and ask about possible movement but I don't want to seem pushy or waste their time?

Any updates from anyone? I want to call and ask about possible movement but I don't want to seem pushy or waste their time?

Nothing for me. It's been a while since being waitlisted in March, but I'm still trying to remain optimistic.

can a current student do a pros and cons for the PBL and DSP pathway? I'm currently in PBL, but I'm thinking about switching over to DSP

can a current student do a pros and cons for the PBL and DSP pathway? I'm currently in PBL, but I'm thinking about switching over to DSP

From discussions with my DSP classmates, it seems like DSP is an independent and accelerated form of LDP. You're learning the same material around the same time, but you're given learning objectives and chapters in the books to study. During the first year, you will cover most/all of the basic sciences (physiology, biochemistry, medical genetics, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology) and start systems (MSK and neuro). There are occasional meetings with the appropriate faculty to discuss more difficult topics or answer questions. Exams/quizzes are frequent and regular. Good for students that need more external motivation, don't mind reading textbooks.

The PBL pathway covers all material in a more systems fashion. PBL groups meet thrice weekly, work through cases, and assign "learning issues" or relevant book chapters. For example, a case dealing with a heart attack may involve reading the relevant cardio physiology chapters, some cardiac pharmacology, lots of pathology, maybe some biochemistry, and some internal medicine to summarize the readings. Depending on the topic, some cases may have more/less/none of certain topics, especially biochemistry, genetics, and microbiology. Exams are usually every six to eight weeks depending on the concurrent courses. Good for students that can motivate themselves and don't want to be constantly stressed with an exam every week. Downside: the PBL exams are worth A LOT.

Pros and cons depend on your personality and learning style. Feel free to PM with more questions!

From discussions with my DSP classmates, it seems like DSP is an independent and accelerated form of LDP. You're learning the same material around the same time, but you're given learning objectives and chapters in the books to study. During the first year, you will cover most/all of the basic sciences (physiology, biochemistry, medical genetics, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology) and start systems (MSK and neuro). There are occasional meetings with the appropriate faculty to discuss more difficult topics or answer questions. Exams/quizzes are frequent and regular. Good for students that need more external motivation, don't mind reading textbooks.

The PBL pathway covers all material in a more systems fashion. PBL groups meet thrice weekly, work through cases, and assign "learning issues" or relevant book chapters. For example, a case dealing with a heart attack may involve reading the relevant cardio physiology chapters, some cardiac pharmacology, lots of pathology, maybe some biochemistry, and some internal medicine to summarize the readings. Depending on the topic, some cases may have more/less/none of certain topics, especially biochemistry, genetics, and microbiology. Exams are usually every six to eight weeks depending on the concurrent courses. Good for students that can motivate themselves and don't want to be constantly stressed with an exam every week. Downside: the PBL exams are worth A LOT.

Pros and cons depend on your personality and learning style. Feel free to PM with more questions!

Hey do you happen to know how often DSP gets quizzed/ exams? Is it every Monday like LDP?

Just received an email to apply to their masters program for a guaranteed interview next cycle. I have a 3.6 gpa and any masters program will not move my gpa greater than .1 with a 4.0 in a program with 60 credits. I figured this math out months ago to see if it was a viable option for improvement. It just doesn’t feel like the right move to me.

My guess is movement is going to be minimal from this point on. They are just trying to offer anything for those still hanging on the WL. Best of luck to you all!

Hey do you happen to know how often DSP gets quizzed/ exams? Is it every Monday like LDP?

Exams are weekly. Don't think they're every Monday, but they definitely have an exam every week.

Also received the same e-mail regarding the masters program while stating "you are still being considered for the LECOM entering class for 2019." In the e-mail, they also stated that "there is plenty of activity from the wait list."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted but have not received an email about the masters program... The plot thickens...

Just received an email to apply to their masters program for a guaranteed interview next cycle. I have a 3.6 gpa and any masters program will not move my gpa greater than .1 with a 4.0 in a program with 60 credits. I figured this math out months ago to see if it was a viable option for improvement. It just doesn’t feel like the right move to me.

My guess is movement is going to be minimal from this point on. They are just trying to offer anything for those still hanging on the WL. Best of luck to you all!
Did your email say it was guaranteed interview ? I got the Masters program email, but it didn’t say anything about above.

Any SDNers get off the WL?
I just received the call this morning! First acceptance!! (2 waitlists left). I cried after hanging up the phone call... To anyone who's on waitlists, be optimistic and keep your head high!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just received the call this morning! First acceptance!! (2 waitlists left). I cried after hanging up the phone call... To anyone who's on waitlists, be optimistic and keep your head high!!!
Congrats. Did you receive the email regarding the LECOM master program last week ?! And do you mind to share your stats?

Congrats!!!!!

Congrats. Did you receive the email regarding the LECOM master program last week ?! And do you mind to share your stats?
I did get the email! Said that I was still in consideration for DO this cycle, but they offered a "backup plan".

Out of state applicant, GPA~3.6, MCAT: 31, 506. (Had to take new one because old scores were no longer accepted by schools)
500+ hours of clinical volunteering & 5+ years of science research following graduation.
Got 0 interview invites to MD schools. Applied late (January) to 5 DO schools. 3 interviews, 2 waitlists, 1 acceptance.

Has anyone heard anything from SH yet?

Hey guys I got a call this morning asking if I was still interested then was told I’m high on the waitlist and I can expect a call within 24 hours. My portal changed from waitlisted to “a decision has been made on your file” I guess I can assume I’m in?

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys I got a call this morning asking if I was still interested then was told I’m high on the waitlist and I can expect a call within 24 hours. My portal changed from waitlisted to “a decision has been made on your file” I guess I can assume I’m in?
Congrats! Is this for Seton Hill?

I got the call a few hours after my initial call about the waitlist! I will be attending Seton Hill!!

I did get the email! Said that I was still in consideration for DO this cycle, but they offered a "backup plan".

Out of state applicant, GPA~3.6, MCAT: 31, 506. (Had to take new one because old scores were no longer accepted by schools)
500+ hours of clinical volunteering & 5+ years of science research following graduation.
Got 0 interview invites to MD schools. Applied late (January) to 5 DO schools. 3 interviews, 2 waitlists, 1 acceptance.

Congrats!! I have a question about the phone call, what is the area code of the phone number they use to call you? I received a call earlier today and I couldn't pick it up because I was at work. I am afraid I might miss the call =[

Congrats!! I have a question about the phone call, what is the area code of the phone number they use to call you? I received a call earlier today and I couldn't pick it up because I was at work. I am afraid I might miss the call =[
814. I missed it too they left a voicemail