2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They told us that they interview every Monday and Friday through January.

Hmm.. how does having interviews throughout the entire month of January work when they said that they would send out acceptances at the end of January?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I found 2018 application stats on the Mayo website!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.27.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.27.55 PM.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user
Hmm.. how does having interviews throughout the entire month of January work when they said that they would send out acceptances at the end of January?
My interview day we were told acceptances would be mid-late February

Members don't see this ad :)

The admissions committee meets weekly, so this wouldn't be a major problem. That being said, early-med Feb is when acceptances have gone out the last two years.

Reactions: 1 users
The admissions committee meets weekly, so this wouldn't be a major problem. That being said, early-med Feb is when acceptances have gone out the last two years.
M1s said they got theirs on or around valentine's day last year

I am abroad, so I had to postpone my interview. The person communicating with me via email told me the last interview date is December 17th.

Has anyone heard from their student hosts yet?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Any opinions on the following?

I interviewed here in mid-October, and am thinking of sending a letter of interest, but I am wondering when the best time is to send it. I was thinking of including some updates on grades, and I have a couple of other updates to provide (a field research trip on an undergraduate grant I wrote in March; more hours than initially expected at a community clinic; submission of a paper I am an author on). But I received an email from them a few weeks ago saying that the admissions committee had already met and discussed my application/interview, and that I had been “ranked.”

So.. was I wrong to think that I should wait until December to write my letter of interest (I thought it might sound more sincere when interview season was winding down)? Should I bother sending one, if the adcom has already met to discuss my application? Should I wait to send it until my grades are out, or is it better to send it sooner? Are those updates all appropriate??

I interviewed here in mid-October, and am thinking of sending a letter of interest, but I am wondering when the best time is to send it. I was thinking of including some updates on grades, and I have a couple of other updates to provide (a field research trip on an undergraduate grant I wrote in March; more hours than initially expected at a community clinic; submission of a paper I am an author on). But I received an email from them a few weeks ago saying that the admissions committee had already met and discussed my application/interview, and that I had been “ranked.”

So.. was I wrong to think that I should wait until December to write my letter of interest (I thought it might sound more sincere when interview season was winding down)? Should I bother sending one, if the adcom has already met to discuss my application? Should I wait to send it until my grades are out, or is it better to send it sooner? Are those updates all appropriate??

Ranking just means that your interviewers have presented you to the committee and you have a score. Based on those scores (and demonstrated interest!) they will reconvene in January to select the initial class appointments. So, no, you're totally fine and should go ahead and send the letter of interest.

Just received the "committee ranked you" e-mail after interviewing back in early October... thought I might calm the nerves of anyone like me who was a little nervous about not getting it in the weeks after their interview date

I saw online that Mayo does not accept any updates on grades?

Not sure where you saw that, but that was not the case when I applied.

Source: How to Apply, the "Application updates" section, quoted below

"Significant experiential updates will be accepted after an applicant has been invited for an on-campus interview. No updates will be accepted prior to this time. These brief updates should be a paragraph or less within the text of an email to the Admissions Office. PDF updates and other attachments will not be processed.

We do not require or accept any updates to transcripts or grades. No materials should be mailed to the Admissions Office unless specifically requested. Applicants should not call the Admissions Office to check on application status."

Members don't see this ad :)
Source: How to Apply, the "Application updates" section, quoted below

"Significant experiential updates will be accepted after an applicant has been invited for an on-campus interview. No updates will be accepted prior to this time. These brief updates should be a paragraph or less within the text of an email to the Admissions Office. PDF updates and other attachments will not be processed.

We do not require or accept any updates to transcripts or grades. No materials should be mailed to the Admissions Office unless specifically requested. Applicants should not call the Admissions Office to check on application status."

This is really strange to me and seems to go against what I remember being told at interview day. The portal still has an option to upload PDF updates, but nothing specific for grades

Do they accept people here who don't email them letters of intent? I finally got an email saying I've been ranked. I really liked this school but the location makes it tough for me to totally love it so i don't want to lie to them and send a letter of intent. It would suck to get rejected though for not showing enough interest. Based off what I've heard about their financial aid it would make up for all the little things i didn't like (mainly the fact that it felt very secluded and everything was so spread out).

I was in the same position and only sent a letter of interest rather than intent, summarizing what I liked at interview day and how they were one of my top choices. Financial aid was ultimately the deciding factor for me in choosing them over the other options. It seems they are placing more weight on numbers this year so I’m sure they’re not as protective of yield as in years past.

Do they accept people here who don't email them letters of intent? I finally got an email saying I've been ranked. I really liked this school but the location makes it tough for me to totally love it so i don't want to lie to them and send a letter of intent. It would suck to get rejected though for not showing enough interest. Based off what I've heard about their financial aid it would make up for all the little things i didn't like (mainly the fact that it felt very secluded and everything was so spread out).

I was in the same position and only sent a letter of interest rather than intent, summarizing what I liked at interview day and how they were one of my top choices. Financial aid was ultimately the deciding factor for me in choosing them over the other options. It seems they are placing more weight on numbers this year so I’m sure they’re not as protective of yield as in years past.

Great thank you! If they give me the best financial aid then I'd easily choose them over most schools so I wouldn't feel bad sending a letter of interest. Just didn't wanna send a letter of intent since there's really only one school I'd send that to.

I sent them nothing and I got in.

I am interviewing Friday 11/30, and have not received an email about the pizza dinner. Would you mind checking if they could re-send, please? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The student ambassador that sent the emails out said that some people have received the emails in the spam folder. Regardless, just show up Thursday 6 PM at the medical school for the dinner.

I sent them nothing and I got in.
Good to hear haha. They made it sound like they really wanted people to send letters of interest/intent so i wasn't sure how necessary that was.
Definitely send one. I've had multiple schools talk about how this year is different with the new traffic rules. They really want to hear from students so they have a better idea of who will keep their acceptance

At least from my questions to the admissions coordinator Ms. Misztal, do not send grades, but other updates should be okay. Any letters of interest/intent sent after the ranking e-mail will be considered when the committee considers whom to accept sometime in January. So even if the LOI is too late for the initial ranking, it may still be considered for the acceptance decision.

At least from my questions to the admissions coordinator Ms. Misztal, do not send grades, but other updates should be okay. Any letters of interest/intent sent after the ranking e-mail will be considered when the committee considers whom to accept sometime in January. So even if the LOI is too late for the initial ranking, it may still be considered for the acceptance decision.
To add to this at my interview day they actually recommended we wait to send an LOI because they want us to finish interviewing (or be close to finished) so that you can compare to the other schools, and from there send a letter of interest if Mayo is top 3 or letter of intent if mayo is your top choice. Then when putting together their class they look at 3 things- You're ranking (that already happened), your individual fit (they try to put together a class that is diverse, people with different strengths, etc.), and the interest that you have shown (ie. LOI)

Are hand written thank you notes preferred over an email even though the rest of our file is electronic?

If you do decide to send in hand written notes, you should email a typed copy so that it can be added to your file. It doesn’t really matter whether you hand write or email.

There is no need to send both a hand written and typed copy. Either is fine.

Mayo Clinic takes letters of interest and intent very seriously. With that being said, they want to make sure that you've thought about all of your options and that you think that this school would be the best fit for you. It should not be sent prior to your interview. In fact, I would wait several weeks to send out the letter. I wouldn't worry too much about the length of the letter but do not make it overwhelmingly long to read as the staff is very busy. Include why you like the school and how you think that it is the perfect fit for you (they like when your incorporate your values with mayo). As far as updates, I would only contact them if the update would some how help your application (new medical experience, research/publication, etc). If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

I tried to message you individually with more specific questions, but for some reason, I am not allowed to.

Last edited:
I tried to message you individually with more specific questions, but for some reason, I am not allowed it.
If you would like message me, I am another M1 on the board and can forward your questions for a second opinion to Rich Ties.

II just now!!!! My dream school, so super pumped about this one. LM ~71, ORM, no word since being complete on 7/23. R from MN campus in mid October after being complete around the same time. IM SO EXCITED

Reactions: 5 users
Pre-II rejection email just now

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Can any current medical students let me know what are the strongest specialties/research fields at Mayo-AZ? Thanks!

Can any current medical students let me know what are the strongest specialties/research fields at Mayo-AZ? Thanks!

Definitely not ortho, neurosurgery, or derm. No Mayo-AZ student has EVER matched into those specialties.

I believe the idea here is that Mayo - AZ has not had a graduating class yet, therefore no matches yet to any programs : ) The first graduating class should be 2021.

Lots of cancer/heme stuff going on including a big brand new cancer center.

Neuro stuff seems to be huge.

"Regenerative medicine" is a big thing, in particular focused on the laryngeal transplant center.

Artificial Intelligence and ''futuristic' health care delivery are up there too.

Those come to mind, but tbh there is research going on in anything and everything you may be interested in.

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of cancer/heme stuff going on including a big brand new cancer center.

Neuro stuff seems to be huge.

"Regenerative medicine" is a big thing, in particular focused on the laryngeal transplant center.

Artificial Intelligence and ''futuristic' health care delivery are up there too.

Those come to mind, but tbh there is research going on in anything and everything you may be interested in.

All of these are definitely true. Also:
Mayo AZ does an enormous amount of multiple myeloma research
The proton beam facility here facilitates a lot research
Mayo AZ is one of the busiest kidney transplant centers in the nation

These are just a few more "highlights" that I can think of

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anybody have a "communication detail" tab? Every time I click on it, the page goes blank with "email" written in large font. I wonder if there is some glitch in the portal.

Best of luck to everyone interviewing these last few days!

Really excited for decisions to come out in the next couple months, Mayo AZ is my top choice!!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Is it detrimental to write a letter of interest stating Mayo is in your “top five” schools or something along these lines, instead of saying that Mayo is indeed your very first choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it detrimental to write a letter of interest stating Mayo is in your “top five” schools or something along these lines, instead of saying that Mayo is indeed your very first choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top 5 probably doesn't sound too good haha. At my interview day they said we could let them know if Mayo is our top choice or even on eof our top 3 choices but I dont think I'd say top 5 :D

You could just be general and not explicitly state a number and just talk about what you liked and that it is up there in your top choice of schools.

Top 5 probably doesn't sound too good haha. At my interview day they said we could let them know if Mayo is our top choice or even on eof our top 3 choices but I dont think I'd say top 5 :D

You could just be general and not explicitly state a number and just talk about what you liked and that it is up there in your top choice of schools.

Got it. I meant to say top 3 in my post, not sure what happened there haha *facepalming*

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Got it. I meant to say top 3 in my post, not sure what happened there haha *facepalming*

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think that's definitely fine because they told us we could say that on my interview day. You could say something like "After intervieiwing at several places, Mayo really stuck out to me because of yada yada and it is easily one of my top choice schools right now" or something along those lines.

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anybody have a "communication detail" tab? Every time I click on it, the page goes blank with "email" written in large font. I wonder if there is some glitch in the portal.

Yep--mine has been like that since August.

Rejected today after 4 months on hold... Sister school R likely coming soon as well