2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everyone for your input. Do you think it would be too late to send a LOI on Feb 1st? I'm waiting for a decision to come out on that day.

Thanks everyone for your input. Do you think it would be too late to send a LOI on Feb 1st? I'm waiting for a decision to come out on that day.

Yes, that would be too late. Appointment decisions are made in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow (12/17/18) is their last interview day. They told us that they are doing a final reconsideration of all candidates on January 14th, 2019 (I believe) where they will make their selection. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone gotten any "highly ranked" emails yet? Last year I believe they started rolling out around December 12th. Should we expect them after the last interview day?

Has anyone gotten any "highly ranked" emails yet? Last year I believe they started rolling out around December 12th. Should we expect them after the last interview day?

I believe the consensus belief is that they have decided to not do them this year. I think some people asked at their interviews and reported that earlier in the thread.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe the consensus belief is that they have decided to not do them this year. I think some people asked at their interviews and reported that earlier in the thread.
Interesting... I can't find anything previously in the thread about this.

thank goodness for other people's neuroticism...I would never ask that question at an interview, that comes off as hyper-competitive to me. Glad to have the information though lol

Pre-Interview Rejection today. It sounded like the emailer never even looked at my application. Submitted secondary August 21

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify - everybody just gets a ranking email, but they don't do the "highly ranked" email anymore?

Any ideas on when would be a good time to send a Letter of Interest? I am thinking sometime in the new year, around mid-January. Also, what should I put in the Letter of Interest? I don't really have any updates, but I do want to re-iterate what I liked about the school. The admissions staff specifically said that they like hearing from students, so I am just curious to know if I need to put something else besides "Hey, I still think you guys are awesome!" lol. But that's really all that I have to say...

Any ideas on when would be a good time to send a Letter of Interest? I am thinking sometime in the new year, around mid-January. Also, what should I put in the Letter of Interest? I don't really have any updates, but I do want to re-iterate what I liked about the school. The admissions staff specifically said that they like hearing from students, so I am just curious to know if I need to put something else besides "Hey, I still think you guys are awesome!" lol. But that's really all that I have to say...

During my interview day, they mentioned that they specifically want letters of interest if they are on our top 3 list of schools. If that's the case for you, I would mention that. If they are your top choice, definitely let them know. Other than that, I'm not sure what else beyond reiterating why the school is a great fit for you.

Also, I think they meet to re-evaluate candidates in mid-January, so I would send your letter early January to make sure they have it in time.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get an email from one of their interviewers basically asking if you're still interested in their school?

Got the R a few days as well. Been complete in July so not surprised at all lol

Hi. I interviewed last month and loved the school. I plan to write a letter of intent but am also thinking about sending an update that I recently completed an EMT course and became a certified EMT. Would it be best to share that update via uploading a doc with a short paragraph or should I simply upload a photo of my EMT license to minimize the amount admissions has to read? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I wouldn't upload a photo of your license... Are you in school right now? Maybe update with new semester grades, mention youre now a certified emt and what you plan to do with the certification (volunteer, get a job, etc), and then include how you really loved the school and would like to attend there over your other options (if you have other options, if not then just focus on why you liked it and why it's one of your top choices)

Hi. I interviewed last month and loved the school. I plan to write a letter of intent but am also thinking about sending an update that I recently completed an EMT course and became a certified EMT. Would it be best to share that update via uploading a doc with a short paragraph or should I simply upload a photo of my EMT license to minimize the amount admissions has to read? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would not bother uploading the license - just mention in the LOI as a "btw this is what I'm up to until med school..."

During my interview they said we can expect to hear back by the end of January

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

During my interview they said we can expect to hear back by the end of January

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Oh wow for some reason i thought they said they release all at once in March. I interviewed here early on though so might just be misremembering. I'll have to check my notes and see what i wrote.

They switched up the timeline a decent amount this year. Interviews ended a month earlier than last cycle so it makes sense that they'd move up admissions decisions as well. Less waiting for us I guess lol

Oh that's nice to hear, glad i saw this then since i thought I'd still have plenty of time to send updates in. Guess i should send one in sooner rather than later.

“Initial offers of acceptance (or appointment) will begin following the interview season, typically late January through mid-February. The waitlist will be created by the end of February. Offers of acceptance from the waitlist will be made until the first day of class in mid-July.”

Source: How to Apply

If i have an acceptance at a school that i liked better but i would still go here over it if they have a better financial aid package than my current acceptance would it be ok to send a letter of interest just stating this is one of my top choices or is this one of those cases where it'd be better for me to just wait it out? Maybe I'll just upload an update to show I'm still interested without stating it?

If i have an acceptance at a school that i liked better but i would still go here over it if they have a better financial aid package than my current acceptance would it be ok to send a letter of interest just stating this is one of my top choices or is this one of those cases where it'd be better for me to just wait it out? Maybe I'll just upload an update to show I'm still interested without stating it?
I would send a letter of interest

Same here. Praying it means something, and not just like the highly ranked debacle last year lol.
I hope so too, but I think all of us received the email from the same interviewer... I think it's just a nice gesture more than anything!

Quick question, did you guys assume arizona campus was identical stats as the minnesota campus?

May i please request for help to get Scholarship or grants to study medicine anywhere abroad at any affordable terms and conditions. I am done with high school in united republic of Tanzania taking science subjects and in return i am looking for scholarship and grants to study medicine..Anyone to help please?

May i please request for help to get Scholarship or grants to study medicine anywhere abroad at any affordable terms and conditions. I am done with high school in united republic of Tanzania taking science subjects and in return i am looking for scholarship and grants to study medicine..Anyone to help please?

Hey, this isn't the best place to post this. You should make a new thread in the premed section of the forums.

As a heads up though if you're international it's very difficult to get into medical school in the United States let alone get a scholarship. You'd need to go to college first in the US, so amazingly well in college and on the mcat then apply in the hopes of getting a scholarship which is very slim.

I know other countries offer free medical school to those accepted but im not sure how likely it is to get accepted to those programs. Anyways like ii mentioned make a new thread about this and other more qualified people will hopefully be able to help you.

I didn’t hear about my financial aid package until after I had accepted the spot in the class

I didn’t hear about my financial aid package until after I had accepted the spot in the class

Is that normal or did you get pulled from the wait list or something? I definitely wouldn't be able to commit anywhere without financial aid info.

Is that normal or did you get pulled from the wait list or something? I definitely wouldn't be able to commit anywhere without financial aid info.

I think they are saying you can secure your spot, get financial aid, then commit to enroll. In this case, I think accepting a spot and enrolling/matriculating are two different things. E.g. you can accept your position at multiple schools but only commit to one. I think Mayo gives financial aid after the former.

When you get an offer of admission, you have two weeks to accept or decline and (usually) put down a deposit. This is standard at pretty much every school.

You can accept multiple offers and be holding multiple seats until April 30th (or thereabouts, that was the date last year). At that point, you have to choose the school you will attend and withdraw from the others.

All schools I was admitted to gave financial aid info well ahead of the decision date, April 30th, so that it could factor into the decision. Last year, Mayo gave out packages in March, several weeks after acceptances had gone out. If you get admitted off the waitlist, they also give financial aid info promptly and before you have to make a decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ok thanksfor the clarification! That makes more sense.

Does anyone know if there's an additional financial aid form we need to fill out in addition to FAFSA or if we need to send copies of taxes to their financial aid office to receive aid?

Does anyone know if there's an additional financial aid form we need to fill out in addition to FAFSA or if we need to send copies of taxes to their financial aid office to receive aid?

Just FAFSA

When you get an offer of admission, you have two weeks to accept or decline and (usually) put down a deposit. This is standard at pretty much every school.

You can accept multiple offers and be holding multiple seats until April 30th (or thereabouts, that was the date last year). At that point, you have to choose the school you will attend and withdraw from the others.

All schools I was admitted to gave financial aid info well ahead of the decision date, April 30th, so that it could factor into the decision. Last year, Mayo gave out packages in March, several weeks after acceptances had gone out. If you get admitted off the waitlist, they also give financial aid info promptly and before you have to make a decision.

You will need to include your parental income on your FAFSA.

Did anyone who already sent a letter of intent/interest get the email from their interviewer?