2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have this year's match results at NSU?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do students have to purchase as far as books and supplies? Any medical equipment?

Are all the fees and class dues paid at the beginning of the semester? Are there any random fees that pop up mid-semester?

Last edited:
During the interview they didn’t show us anatomy labs. Any current student can comment on the quality of anatomy lab ? How many cadavers do they have and how groups divide ?

What do students have to purchase as far as books and supplies? Any medical equipment?

Are all the fees and class dues paid at the beginning of the semester? Are there any random fees that pop up mid-semester?

Books are all available through online copies which you can access on your computer/iPad through the school website after you get your login. They should medical equipment ordering forms out for you guys soon.
No random fees that pop up mid-semester as far as I remember. Make sure you have health insurance or you'll have to pay for school insurance at the beginning of the year.

During the interview they didn’t show us anatomy labs. Any current student can comment on the quality of anatomy lab ? How many cadavers do they have and how groups divide ?

Anatomy lab here is clean, well ventilated, and there are plenty of cadavers. It's split between 2 groups.
Most people in your group will probably not want to dissect once exams start so if you're really gung ho about dissection I'm sure you'll get the chance.
Protip: Don't be that one student who uses scalpel for everything, blunt dissection gives you a great feel on the human body and allows you to be gentler on certain structures

Reactions: 2 users
Books are all available through online copies which you can access on your computer/iPad through the school website after you get your login. They should medical equipment ordering forms out for you guys soon.
No random fees that pop up mid-semester as far as I remember. Make sure you have health insurance or you'll have to pay for school insurance at the beginning of the year.

Anatomy lab here is clean, well ventilated, and there are plenty of cadavers. It's split between 2 groups.
Most people in your group will probably not want to dissect once exams start so if you're really gung ho about dissection I'm sure you'll get the chance.
Protip: Don't be that one student who uses scalpel for everything, blunt dissection gives you a great feel on the human body and allows you to be gentler on certain structures

Hey, do you know where we can find the health insurance waiver form?

I have an interview here next week and am wondering if this is an interview for the waitlist? I heard that’s not really a thing for most medical schools but just want to get a better idea of my chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview here next week and am wondering if this is an interview for the waitlist? I heard that’s not really a thing for most medical schools but just want to get a better idea of my chance of acceptance.
There are 128 people in the FB group, some of whom are current students. So I'd say no, but what the hell do I know...

People who have been accepted: did you guys do anything with regards to campus preference aside from selecting the famous when you paid your deposit?

Secondly, what housing options is everyone looking at? Especially for housing close to campus

Applied beginning of June and just got an interview invite...that took forever haha. Gonna pass though. Hopefully it goes to one of you still waiting!

Pretty late but completed secondary on 12/13, interviewed 1/31, accepted 2/8. Recently declined the acceptance, so I hope one of you gets the call!

Applied beginning of June and just got an interview invite...that took forever haha. Gonna pass though. Hopefully it goes to one of you still waiting!
Hi, pick me! Lol :) Congrats on your other acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys if you haven’t checked your portal recently the financial aid awards are already up.

Does anyone know if they plan on giving out any scholarships or award money this year? Merit based scholarships or even anything we can apply to to try bring the costs down? I know the dean said they normally dont but I wonder if that might change after the KP donation (or the fact that so many things change every year lol)

For those who have FAFSA information for NSU already, do FAFSA loans only cover the cost of tuition? I'm wondering if its typical that students have to take like a Perkins loan in addition to the unsubsidized loans to pay for living expenses.

For those who have FAFSA information for NSU already, do FAFSA loans only cover the cost of tuition? I'm wondering if its typical that students have to take like a Perkins loan in addition to the unsubsidized loans to pay for living expenses.

Normally people have to take out a grad plus loan for living which is at a higher interest rate.

II today, complete since forever/June, so this came out of the blue.

Yes, FAFSA pretty much only covers my tuition. I pretty much have to take the rest of my cost of attendance out through Grad PLUS loans.

It’s based on your credit score though so for some it will be much much higher

I’m not so sure cause the rate is fixed. They do a soft credit check to make sure you don’t have an adverse credit history.

Any tips for the interview here?
It’s like 15-20 minutes with 1-2 people. It’s super chill and easy going. Normal questions like why doctor, why do, why nova and then a couple about your application. It’s really low stress so just be yourself and be genuine! The rest of the day is chill too you’re with some students so it’s laid back! They really just want to know you’re genuine about wanting to be a doctor. And remember it’s as much about how you like them as it is how they like you!

Reactions: 3 users
Also got an unexpected II after being complete since summer 2018, and I've been gearing up to reapply (~50 days into intense studying for an MCAT retake). I was given dates in early April, latest being the 16th. At this point, is this just interview for waitlist?

Also got an unexpected II after being complete since summer 2018, and I've been gearing up to reapply (~50 days into intense studying for an MCAT retake). I was given dates in early April, latest being the 16th. At this point, is this just interview for waitlist?
Digging your avatar pic! Good luck at the interview!

I doubt any of us will ever know if you are interviewing for acceptance or for waitlist but you got an interview and that’s what counts. Good luck!!!

Maybe I can email the admissions staff about that. What's the interview decision turnaround recently? I'd really like to get a decision before my test date on May 11th. I have no other pending invites or acceptances, so would y'all recommend that I stick to my study schedule? (I'm done with content review and moved on to AAMC practice and UWorld)

Maybe I can email the admissions staff about that. What's the interview decision turnaround recently? I'd really like to get a decision before my test date on May 11th. I have no other pending invites or acceptances, so would y'all recommend that I stick to my study schedule? (I'm done with content review and moved on to AAMC practice and UWorld)

I don’t see how one affects the other. You can still go to the interview and take the test in May. What I don’t recommend you do is pass up this interview opportunity.

I don’t see how one affects the other. You can still go to the interview and take the test in May. What I don’t recommend you do is pass up this interview opportunity.

Don't worry I already reserved a spot! I wouldn't pass this up. I didn't expect till now that I face the possibility of not having to retake, so I'm just wondering if I could ease up on the studying or keep grinding.

Don't worry I already reserved a spot! I wouldn't pass this up. I didn't expect till now that I face the possibility of not having to retake, so I'm just wondering if I could ease up on the studying or keep grinding.
Yeah for sure keep studying just in case !

Anyone know any details about the declining board scores? Im trying to make the most informed decision about which school to attend and im kind of stressed because thats all anyone seems to say when they read "NSU"

Anyone know any details about the declining board scores? Im trying to make the most informed decision about which school to attend and im kind of stressed because thats all anyone seems to say when they read "NSU"
It's back up, they're probably gonna post it with matches in the next few months.

When I interviewed, they said the committee meets every first of the month, then about a week to make a decision and send it to the dean for approval

Does that mean April interviewees are interviewing for seats in Clearwater? I'm OOS, so I'm not familiar with the area and have no idea what to make of this. (please enlighten me lol)

Does that mean April interviewees are interviewing for seats in Clearwater? I'm OOS, so I'm not familiar with the area and have no idea what to make of this. (please enlighten me lol)

Well it depends on you. I personally am about to move there for 3rd/4th year rotations from Davie and couldn’t be happier. I don’t like this area of Florida. It’s hot year round, expensive, my allergies are terrible here, the driving is crazy... etc. I only wish there had been a Clearwater branch when I started here. I would have picked that.

Oh and I don’t have any inside heat as to how they’re managing the 2 campuses/if they’re sharing streaming lectures or having separate classes but maybe you guys know more from being told at interviews. I will say though that some of the awesome faculty here has said they are moving to the Clearwater campus.

Can you speak to how the rotations compare at the Clearwater campus vs Davie?

I don’t know how they’re going to handle rotations when it comes time for you guys since it’s unprecedented. But for now we have a lottery where you submit your preferences in order, and then names are put in random order and you get your top choice that stills has slots. I don’t know if they’re going to combine the lottery for the 2 campuses or what. But my site I’m going to is Largo Medical Center, which has been a site for us for many years and not due to the new campus at all.

At my interview date they told us everything at both campuses would be 50/50. So half of the lectures will be taught in person at one campus and live streamed (holographic streamed bc they spent a **** ton on new technology) to the other campus. And vice versa. This also means that since Clearwater doesn’t have their own cadavers (they’re using a local hospital’s I think), that dissections are no longer required, but everyone has the option to do them.

As of now they said that all students will be entered into the same lottery for 3rd year rotations. Ofc i think this requires more rotation sites/seats in general so I’m sure that’ll be something they work on in the coming years.