Jun 2, 2018
NYULISOM Secondary application prompts (courtesy of 12wizards' original post):

Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 2500 Words

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 2500 Words

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 2500 Words

NYU announced a new med school in Long Island. Focus on primary care.

SECONDARY APPLICATION ESSAY PROMPTS

Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 2500 Words

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 2500 Words

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 2500 Words

Dr.BeaR88

2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Just wondering... but do you guys really think we should try to go for 2500 words?
Unless going into nitty-gritty details about my experiences, there is no way I could write that much :(

Aug 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just wondering... but do you guys really think we should try to go for 2500 words?
Unless going into nitty-gritty details about my experiences, there is no way I could write that much :(
If some other people are correct, then the limit was truly meant to be 2500 characters; however, this change wasn't made to EVERYONE's application, for some reason. In this case, maybe some degree of brevity is preferred. It's far too late for me, though, with my already submitted 4500+ character behemoth +pity+

Reactions: Prittylight

Arturiase

2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri
Status
Pre-Medical
3 year program + free tuition + long island + NYU + better chance of getting interview is tempting.....

But im already accepted and 110 secondary and 40$ amcas and 2500 characters and only 24 class size ............. ;(

Wondering what their stats will be compared to NYU lagone

np97

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
How responsive is their admissions team? I have tried emailing & calling them with questions and had no response.

premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How responsive is their admissions team? I have tried emailing & calling them with questions and had no response.
I emailed them last week and still no response. They're probably still dealing with the huge amounts of applications

Reactions: np97
Jul 16, 2017
interview season starts for NYU LI starts in less than a month. I'm guessing the first IIs should be coming this week or next week at the latest.

Jan 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if admissions is rolling? Will submitting earlier be advantageous?

Jun 13, 2018
Does anyone know if admissions is rolling? Will submitting earlier be advantageous?
It looks like admissions will be rolling from May through June (per the admissions calendar someone posted above). Since applications are accepted through March 31st and interviews start the very next day, I imagine those who submit earlier may be invited to earlier interview spots, giving everyone ample time to make arrangements.

Jan 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It looks like admissions will be rolling from May through June (per the admissions calendar someone posted above). Since applications are accepted through March 31st and interviews start the very next day, I imagine those who submit earlier may be invited to earlier interview spots, giving everyone ample time to make arrangements.

Gotcha, I wonder how fast they'll send rejections too haha
Just so I don't hold out on hope for too long

Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if you have to choose one of the offered residencies? i have a strong interest in family medicine, and I don't think I could settle for internal medicine.

Feb 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if you have to choose one of the offered residencies? i have a strong interest in family medicine, and I don't think I could settle for internal medicine.
In their curriculum timeline it looks like they leave room for applying to residencies, so I think you can pursue other residencies?

Oct 16, 2018
Status
Would this school be a good fit if you want to do internal medicine/gen surg then do a fellowship to specialize?

Oct 16, 2018
Status
Is the hospital associated with the Long Island school not as prestigious as the main NYU medical campus? Most of the residents are international students (who according to SDN usually take left over U.S. residency spots).

Nov 30, 2018
I'm guessing this is going to be a very competitive school? If I have 3 MD IIs, 2 from state schools and one from a low tier private MD, should I just save my money and not apply?

Dec 17, 2018
I'm guessing this is going to be a very competitive school? If I have 3 MD IIs, 2 from state schools and one from a low tier private MD, should I just save my money and not apply?
I'm guessing it'll be really competitive since there are only 24 spots. I'm still applying though mainly for the free tuition.

Sep 18, 2018
Status
Knowing I probably don’t have a shot with low-ish stats (very high GPA, low MCAT—though with reason). But might as well throw my hat in the ring.

Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Knowing I probably don’t have a shot with low-ish stats (very high GPA, low MCAT—though with reason). But might as well throw my hat in the ring.
Honestly same. I probably just donated $150 to them but might as well give it a shot, especially since my app is very primary care oriented

Reactions: HistoryMD2015
Nov 29, 2018
I'm the opposite, over 85 percentile MCAT but low GPA with reason, also a history major (if that's what your username implies)! But threw my app in there, hopeful for all of us who are primary care focused :)

Sep 18, 2018
Status
I'm the opposite, over 85 percentile MCAT but low GPA with reason, also a history major (if that's what your username implies)! But threw my app in there, hopeful for all of us who are primary care focused :)
Yes! I was a history major, did Teach for America and then a post-bacc program for my pre-requisites. Had shoulder surgery about two months before my MCAT and developed complications (couldn't really use my right arm). I was given accommodations, but AMCAS said they were approved two days too late. So I couldn't use it or I could reschedule (but have to pay the full cost of the exam). Good times.

premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
How long did it take you to receive your secondary? It's been 4 days for me and I have a 507 too.
I got it about 6 hours later but then again it was the second day the app was open. You have to take inconsideration that as more days passed, more applications were received

Reactions: premed097
Mar 7, 2018
Status
Medical Student
"Prior to the current application cycle, have you ever applied to any medical school before?"
For this question, do early assurance programs like Mt. Sinai's Flexmed (applied in sophomore year of college) count?
^follow-up to this: For those planning on applying when the next cycle opens in May, if we throw in an application for this, will we have to answer yes on the above question? Is that a bad thing?

Sep 26, 2018
Status
How long did it take you to receive your secondary? It's been 4 days for me and I have a 507 too.
I also had a 507 and I received my secondary within hours of submitting the primary.

premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
^follow-up to this: For those planning on applying when the next cycle opens in May, if we throw in an application for this, will we have to answer yes on the above question? Is that a bad thing?
Yes and I thought reapplicants have to have something significant to make a difference in their app. So if you’re applying right now and get denied, I think you would have to have a big difference in application for this school particularly if you were to apply that quickly?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Yes and I thought reapplicants have to have something significant to make a difference in their app. So if you’re applying right now and get denied, I think you would have to have a big difference in application for this school particularly if you were to apply that quickly?

Thanks for letting me know, I agree. But would it be okay to submit the same application to every other school in May? I have most of my application prepared, just weighing the options of applying. Is applying to this school, getting rejected, and then *identifying* as a re-applicant to every school that I'm applying to for the first time in May, a huge red flag?

Reactions: dielsalder34
Dec 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for letting me know, I agree. But would it be okay to submit the same application to every other school in May? I have most of my application prepared, just weighing the options of applying. Is applying to this school, getting rejected, and then *identifying* as a re-applicant to every school that I'm applying to for the first time in May, a huge red flag?
I would just wait tbh and not apply this cycle to this one school.

Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the other person. Other secondaries ask if you've ever applied before so you'd have to answer yes to it. Some even make you write about the changes you've made to your app if you say yes. I say just wait and cast a wide and broad net for next cycle and hopefully you'll only have to do this once.

Reactions: Evarec

diazonium

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2015
This school seems to focus on primary care, but I don't understand how the residency programs promote that focus. Like genuinely curious as to how surgery for example would be primary care?

Dec 18, 2018
It's so tempting to throw in my last chip at this. Especially since I feel like most people have been accepted elsewhere but I'm a pretty low stat applicant with a LM of 63 and no II's yet this cycle. I was planning on attending the BU MAMS program to bump up my GPA next year before reapplying and I feel like if I do well I'd be much stronger all around. Does anybody think it'll really be worth it to try my luck with this or should I just suck it up and wait until I do this SMP?

Dec 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It's so tempting to throw in my last chip at this. Especially since I feel like most people have been accepted elsewhere but I'm a pretty low stat applicant with a LM of 63 and no II's yet this cycle. I was planning on attending the BU MAMS program to bump up my GPA next year before reapplying and I feel like if I do well I'd be much stronger all around. Does anybody think it'll really be worth it to try my luck with this or should I just suck it up and wait until I do this SMP?
Save the 150, unless you have insane primary care ECs, I prob wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Earthworm Slim
Jul 1, 2018
Hi! I'm currently a second year in the MAMS program. I strongly recommend it! I applied two years ago, no IIs. This cycle is a totally different story. It can't hurt to throw one more app out (especially a cool one like this school) and keep MAMS an option. Feel free to message me about it.

(sorry to others that this post isn't very NYU LI oriented)

Reactions: Earthworm Slim

premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
They updated when the secondary is due and what’s the latest MCAT that can be used.

3696F3E7-3217-4E3B-BF4F-102D2C47042F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1996-