2018-2019 NYU Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can one apply to this even if they applied to NYU and didn’t say they were interested in primary care lol
If it helps, I submitted a primary and will not submit the secondary because I don’t want to spend $110 lying about my dedication to a certain field of medicine. My essay response would simply be BS lmao

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
If it helps, I submitted a primary and will not submit the secondary because I don’t want to spend $110 lying about my dedication to a certain field of medicine. My essay response would simply be BS lmao
So you're not interested in any of the four residencies they offer conditionally? Cause in their website it says "Our admissions committee is specifically looking for applicants who can successfully demonstrate, through clinical experience, life experience, and personal attributes, a true commitment to a career in one of these residency specialties."
So if you are interested in one of those, I recommend applying!

Reactions: 1 user
submitted. Reviewed my essays like 5 times over this week. Tough ones to write.

Anyone know how they are planning to handle housing. I noticed they had a line for oncampus housing on the proposed budget.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are conditionally accepted to a residency at NYU Winthrop, but you have the option to go through the regular match instead.
Does this condition increases the competition? Apart from the NYU name brand and the free tuition

Does this condition increases the competition? Apart from the NYU name brand and the free tuition

No one truly has a clue as to how competitive it will be and probably won't until they reveal the stats of how many people applied and interviewed this cycle. I'm sure however, like all other MD schools, it will be pretty competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any word on when they will begin offering IIs? Or just kinda whenever?

Is there any word on when they will begin offering IIs? Or just kinda whenever?

Someone posted a graphic with 04/01/2019-05/10/2019 as the “interview season.” I assume anytime in the dates above are fair game.

Oh my gosh- I thought the 2500 word req was absurd and even checked back a few times to make sure it wasn't corrected to character. So then I figured it was just a way of making sure people were really serious about their specialty. I spent hours writing extremely detailed essays, figuring that's what they wanted. FML if this was an error on their part.
Hopefully this makes you feel better--I called yesterday and was told it is in fact 2500 words. They did this to make sure people had enough room to say what they needed to say, but don't expect people to fill all 2,500 words!

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully this makes you feel better--I called yesterday and was told it is in fact 2500 words. They did this to make sure people had enough room to say what they needed to say, but don't expect people to fill all 2,500 words!
By any chance did you ask when they were going to start giving II?

Is it safe to assume that no one got an II yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh- I thought the 2500 word req was absurd and even checked back a few times to make sure it wasn't corrected to character. So then I figured it was just a way of making sure people were really serious about their specialty. I spent hours writing extremely detailed essays, figuring that's what they wanted. FML if this was an error on their part.

Same here. Submitting my 1000 word essays :rolleyes:
Probably should have cut things out to make it shorter

We love you
So I called and according to the person that answered said and I quote "We aren't at liberty to disclose that information, but they should be out anytime soon." So they weren't really much help, sorry guys. :/

Reactions: 18 users
So I called and according to the person that answered said and I quote "We aren't at liberty to disclose that information, but they should be out anytime soon." So they weren't really much help, sorry guys. :/
A for effort though. Thanks for trying!

Reactions: 7 users
Aye a Medal of Honor for Premed0431. Mans somehow given all of us hope this late into this soul sucking cycle.

I see that some wrote up to 2,500 words but my essay is only 600. I believe it explains my desire to become a primary care physician and I don't want to ramble just to make it to longer. Has anyone else submitted with less than 1,000 words?

I see that some wrote up to 2,500 words but my essay is only 600. I believe it explains my desire to become a primary care physician and I don't want to ramble just to make it to longer. Has anyone else submitted with less than 1,000 words?
I did! I made it to be around 2000-2500 characters, not words.

Yes I think most people have. Don't worry about maxing to the word count :)

Same, my essays were around 400-500 words. If you get your point across, then I think that's fine.

Very similar here, I went for about 2000-2500 characters rather than words. Figured being concise is best.

So emergency medicine obviously isint mentioned on the app or the initial email advertising the school, but their phase 3 schedule graphic on the website show an ER rotation from week 10-13. Would wanting to go into ER medicine be a good reason to apply or is it just part of the rotation schedule to be familiar with it?

So emergency medicine obviously isint mentioned on the app or the initial email advertising the school, but their phase 3 schedule graphic on the website show an ER rotation from week 10-13. Would wanting to go into ER medicine be a good reason to apply or is it just part of the rotation schedule to be familiar with it?

I believe it's one of core clinical rotations and is standard across medical schools

1. Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 2,500)

Can I talk about my upward trend here? Would it be a bad move to also mention my MCAT as a point proving my upward trend? @Goro

1. Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 2,500)

Can I talk about my upward trend here? Would it be a bad move to also mention my MCAT as a point proving my upward trend? @Goro
Upward trends and MCAT are visible. The prompt is not asking you to comment on upward trends. It's asking you "why did you have bad grades?" Answer the questions as asked.

Also got an II! LM 72, submitted March 2nd

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone opting for the surgery residency? and does anyone know if its only general surgery? I know Winthrop also has orthopedic residency. Also, is anyone who applied not 100% on the residencies they're offering?

Those of you who received an II, just curious, which specialty did you all select?

Is anyone opting for the surgery residency? and does anyone know if its only general surgery? I know Winthrop also has orthopedic residency. Also, is anyone who applied not 100% on the residencies they're offering?

I'm opting for the surgery residency since all of my clinical/research experience is in neurosurgery/orthorpedic spinal surgery. It seems that because the residency is through Winthrop it'll likely be orthopedic surgery. Also, most of the faculty seems to be in hip/knee specialties which I'm not too wild about tbh.

Did you try to incorporate primary care at all in your secondary?

I'm opting for the surgery residency since all of my clinical/research experience is in neurosurgery/orthorpedic spinal surgery. It seems that because the residency is through Winthrop it'll likely be orthopedic surgery. Also, most of the faculty seems to be in hip/knee specialties which I'm not too wild about tbh.

Did you try to incorporate primary care at all in your secondary?

Haven't submitted the secondary yet since my background is also heavily orthopedic surgery. For what its worth, Winthrop does have a general surgery residency so I dont know how certain we can be that it'll be ortho just cause its at winthrop.

But i mean if you've heard otherwise about whether or not they'll let us do ortho, that changes everything for me haha.

To your other point, hip/knee is awesome man haha

I wonder if there's a screen for interview invites, and if they're sending them out in waves

I believe it's one of core clinical rotations and is standard across medical schools
Emergency medicine is not a core clerkship at most MD schools in the third year. A good number of schools do have a required EM rotation in either third or fourth year, but still a minority of medical schools have it as a required rotation during third year/clerkship year. And some medical schools have no required EM experience - only optional during third or fourth year.

However, it is not at all surprising that the new Winthrop NYU program will have a required EM rotation. NYU has a premier EM residency program that has trained many of the leaders of EM over the years, in residency and fellowships. However, though the main NYU 3 year program has spots for students going into EM, it is not clear that the new NYU-Winthrop program will consider EM a primary care specialty. They did not separately list EM, though they did include general surgery. Maybe if not this year, maybe in future classes. EM certainly feels more like primary care than general surgery does!

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting their secondary. The email I received after submitting my secondary stated “ Once your application is complete, we will send you a confirmation email. “ I haven’t received any email since.