premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If it helps, I submitted a primary and will not submit the secondary because I don’t want to spend $110 lying about my dedication to a certain field of medicine. My essay response would simply be BS lmao
So you're not interested in any of the four residencies they offer conditionally? Cause in their website it says "Our admissions committee is specifically looking for applicants who can successfully demonstrate, through clinical experience, life experience, and personal attributes, a true commitment to a career in one of these residency specialties."
So if you are interested in one of those, I recommend applying!

Reactions: tradingdavid
Aug 27, 2018
submitted. Reviewed my essays like 5 times over this week. Tough ones to write.

Anyone know how they are planning to handle housing. I noticed they had a line for oncampus housing on the proposed budget.

Reactions: mcmigirl

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You are conditionally accepted to a residency at NYU Winthrop, but you have the option to go through the regular match instead.
Does this condition increases the competition? Apart from the NYU name brand and the free tuition

Warmkittens

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does this condition increases the competition? Apart from the NYU name brand and the free tuition
No one truly has a clue as to how competitive it will be and probably won't until they reveal the stats of how many people applied and interviewed this cycle. I'm sure however, like all other MD schools, it will be pretty competitive.

Jul 16, 2017
Feb 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If some other people are correct, then the limit was truly meant to be 2500 characters; however, this change wasn't made to EVERYONE's application, for some reason. In this case, maybe some degree of brevity is preferred. It's far too late for me, though, with my already submitted 4500+ character behemoth +pity+
Oh my gosh- I thought the 2500 word req was absurd and even checked back a few times to make sure it wasn't corrected to character. So then I figured it was just a way of making sure people were really serious about their specialty. I spent hours writing extremely detailed essays, figuring that's what they wanted. FML if this was an error on their part.

Reactions: Pnomnomnom
Feb 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh my gosh- I thought the 2500 word req was absurd and even checked back a few times to make sure it wasn't corrected to character. So then I figured it was just a way of making sure people were really serious about their specialty. I spent hours writing extremely detailed essays, figuring that's what they wanted. FML if this was an error on their part.
Hopefully this makes you feel better--I called yesterday and was told it is in fact 2500 words. They did this to make sure people had enough room to say what they needed to say, but don't expect people to fill all 2,500 words!

Feb 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hopefully this makes you feel better--I called yesterday and was told it is in fact 2500 words. They did this to make sure people had enough room to say what they needed to say, but don't expect people to fill all 2,500 words!
Oh man- you're great for doing that. Thank you! That does make me feel better.

premed0431

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
By any chance did you ask when they were going to start giving II?

diazonium

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2015
Same here. Submitting my 1000 word essays :rolleyes:
Probably should have cut things out to make it shorter

SirButtcheek

I'm Buttiful not Assinine
May 24, 2018
Wilkes Barre
Status
Aye a Medal of Honor for Premed0431. Mans somehow given all of us hope this late into this soul sucking cycle.

Mar 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I see that some wrote up to 2,500 words but my essay is only 600. I believe it explains my desire to become a primary care physician and I don't want to ramble just to make it to longer. Has anyone else submitted with less than 1,000 words?

Oct 10, 2018
I see that some wrote up to 2,500 words but my essay is only 600. I believe it explains my desire to become a primary care physician and I don't want to ramble just to make it to longer. Has anyone else submitted with less than 1,000 words?
Yes I think most people have. Don't worry about maxing to the word count :)

Reactions: hopefulMD_305
Apr 30, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Same, my essays were around 400-500 words. If you get your point across, then I think that's fine.

Warmkittens

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Very similar here, I went for about 2000-2500 characters rather than words. Figured being concise is best.

Dec 4, 2018
So emergency medicine obviously isint mentioned on the app or the initial email advertising the school, but their phase 3 schedule graphic on the website show an ER rotation from week 10-13. Would wanting to go into ER medicine be a good reason to apply or is it just part of the rotation schedule to be familiar with it?

diazonium

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2015
So emergency medicine obviously isint mentioned on the app or the initial email advertising the school, but their phase 3 schedule graphic on the website show an ER rotation from week 10-13. Would wanting to go into ER medicine be a good reason to apply or is it just part of the rotation schedule to be familiar with it?
I believe it's one of core clinical rotations and is standard across medical schools

Reactions: cortisol2.0

Sharknad0

2+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
1. Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 2,500)

Can I talk about my upward trend here? Would it be a bad move to also mention my MCAT as a point proving my upward trend? @Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
1. Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 2,500)

Can I talk about my upward trend here? Would it be a bad move to also mention my MCAT as a point proving my upward trend? @Goro
Upward trends and MCAT are visible. The prompt is not asking you to comment on upward trends. It's asking you "why did you have bad grades?" Answer the questions as asked.

Reactions: Sharknad0
Dec 8, 2018
Is anyone opting for the surgery residency? and does anyone know if its only general surgery? I know Winthrop also has orthopedic residency. Also, is anyone who applied not 100% on the residencies they're offering?

Sep 26, 2018
Status
Those of you who received an II, just curious, which specialty did you all select?

divergeandconquer

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Is anyone opting for the surgery residency? and does anyone know if its only general surgery? I know Winthrop also has orthopedic residency. Also, is anyone who applied not 100% on the residencies they're offering?
I'm opting for the surgery residency since all of my clinical/research experience is in neurosurgery/orthorpedic spinal surgery. It seems that because the residency is through Winthrop it'll likely be orthopedic surgery. Also, most of the faculty seems to be in hip/knee specialties which I'm not too wild about tbh.

Did you try to incorporate primary care at all in your secondary?