2018-2019 NYU Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting their secondary. The email I received after submitting my secondary stated “ Once your application is complete, we will send you a confirmation email. “ I haven’t received any email since.

Yes. I got a confirmation email that my app complete the same time as the confirmation of submission email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have gotten interviews, what days were available?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also received an II today!
For you and others who received an interview- what specialty did you select?

I can't remember where I saw this, but I think these essays are reviewed by the specialty leaders to select separate interview candidates?

Reactions: 1 users
from what people have posted I think they’re mostly going after high stats applicants first... hopefully they stay true to their “holistic review” and consider applicants with lower scores

Reactions: 9 users
from what people have posted I think they’re mostly going after high stats applicants first... hopefully they stay true to their “holistic review” and consider applicants with lower scores
Yeah, because April 1, 2, 3 are the only being offered (or so it appears?) I'm hoping that they save later dates for us lower stat holistic applicants!

Reactions: 3 users
In disbelief! Got an II this evening! Complete first week of March, LM~71

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier this evening!! Complete first week of March

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all I freaking submitted this yesterday in SO disbelief!! II just now!

Reactions: 4 users
submitted on March 5th, and now I feel like they already yeeted my application in the trash lmao

Reactions: 13 users
submitted on March 5th, and now I feel like they already yeeted my application in the trash lmao

Same lol I submitted on the 5th with LM 68, looks like everyone so far is atleast LM 70+. Hopefully we get a chance in later interviews:lol:

Would you have any chance here if your application doesn't have any focus on primary care? lol

Man, didn't know the app opened 3/1 :/

Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot.

Let’s be real...the vast majority of those accepted to this “primary care” centric program will be very high stat applicants, with most of their clinical experience and demonstrated interest being geared more towards various sub-specialties than family medicine. Maybe a few will have spent a few days shadowing a primary care doc.

So...the school will email rejected applicants late in the cycle, as if they’re being recruited, giving false hope to those who haven’t had much luck in order to squeeze a few more dollars out of them. Competitive applicants will lie in their essays about wanting to practice internal medicine in order to get free tuition at a top school. The circle of life continues. Lol.

Reactions: 15 users
Would you have any chance here if your application doesn't have any focus on primary care? lol
Potentially if you can feign enough interest in primary care in your secondary essays but I personally think it's unfair to take a spot from applicants who are actually interested in primary care

Reactions: 4 users
Let’s be real...the vast majority of those accepted to this “primary care” centric program will be very high stat applicants, with most of their clinical experience and demonstrated interest being geared more towards various sub-specialties than family medicine. Maybe a few will have spent a few days shadowing a primary care doc.

So...the school will email rejected applicants late in the cycle, as if they’re being recruited, giving false hope to those who haven’t had much luck in order to squeeze a few more dollars out of them. Competitive applicants will lie in their essays about wanting to practice internal medicine in order to get free tuition at a top school. The circle of life continues. Lol.
tumblr_inline_p1re4fUmsi1r2mxx4_540.gif

Reactions: 19 users
got an II here as well, low gpa but high mcat, and i picked IM! i was complete really soon after the application came out. the only available dates were april 2 and 3, so i guess april 1 got filled up pretty quickly.

Did anyone who selected surgery receive an II?

They’re really only hurting themselves if that’s the only reason for applying there.... but whatever c’est la vie

For you and others who received an interview- what specialty did you select?

I can't remember where I saw this, but I think these essays are reviewed by the specialty leaders to select separate interview candidates?

I chose pediatrics

Potentially if you can feign enough interest in primary care in your secondary essays but I personally think it's unfair to take a spot from applicants who are actually interested in primary care

my application is centered around an internal medicine sub specialty so technically i'm still telling the truth about wanting to do internal medicine.

I'm wondering if the surgery option was a screen...

I'm wondering if the surgery option was a screen...
Hey there friend, I'm in the same boat as you for surgery. They're probably going to interview and accept a really low number of surgery students since it's not really primary care.

Just some friendly words of advice. I feel like disconnecting from the internet and focusing on distracting yourself might be in your best interest. Constantly refreshing sdn, email and portals put me in a toxic place until I realized what it was doing to me. I'm hoping to go out and get lost in photography all weekend cuz I have an engagement party, model and a much-needed hike all scheduled. TGIF.

Currently photoshopping myself onto sports teams and had Elon Musk pose as me to take my MCAT last month. LOR is from Atul Gawande. That should be enough, but if not, I guess I can donate a building

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Chose pediatrics. Submitted my essays last night at like 10:30 pm, got an II this morning! ORM LM ~75, quite low GPA but very high MCAT, also from the nearby area and coincidentally one of the LORs in my committee letter packet is from a doctor whose private practice works with Winthrop.

Available dates were April 4th and 5th for me! Very pleasantly surprised at the turnaround for this one.

should i bother putting an app in here? could probably finish the secondary by this Sunday

I just feel stupid for writing a 2500 character essay instead of a long paper. I bet they went through my app and were like yea she doesn’t seem interested even though I’ve always wanted to do internal medicine. Oh wellllll it is what it is

II for surgery. I wrote about 2500 characters for the essays. LM 75.

Last edited:
I just feel stupid for writing a 2500 character essay instead of a long paper. I bet they went through my app and were like yea she doesn’t seem interested even though I’ve always wanted to do internal medicine. Oh wellllll it is what it is
I don't think they really take the length of the essays into consideration, mine were around 2500-3000 characters long (received II)

bruh it seems like everyone and their momma is getting interviews (except for me lmao)

Reactions: 15 users
They might over-interview given how late in the cycle it is

Chose pediatrics. Submitted my essays last night at like 10:30 pm, got an II this morning! ORM LM ~75, quite low GPA but very high MCAT, also from the nearby area and coincidentally one of the LORs in my committee letter packet is from a doctor whose private practice works with Winthrop.

Available dates were April 4th and 5th for me! Very pleasantly surprised at the turnaround for this one.

Just how high of a MCAT are we talking here?

All these people saying they're screening for high stat applicants and I have high stats but no II. I think they're looking for tons of primary care related experience.

I received II Thursday evening. I submitted March 4th. Average GPA, good MCAT. I chose internal medicine. I’m a little bit of a different candidate, I come from a public health background and really enjoy longitudinal medicine/internal medicine. Interview options were April 4, 5, 7. I’m going April 5th.

Just how high of a MCAT are we talking here?

100th percentile, my gpa is not the greatest because of a specific high credit science course but there were extenuating circumstances that I’ve been able to successfully communicate to other schools this cycle.

Lol, why do I feel like they’re giving out like 300 interviews for 24 spots