2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone get this hold email from them? like on hold for review for future interview consideration? or is it basically an R
Got the same email just now.

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone get this hold email from them? like on hold for review for future interview consideration? or is it basically an R

+1... it sounds like we're in an "alternate pool" of sorts for interviews?

Well NYU just gave me a heart attack...They just emailed me saying that I am not being offered an II but not rejected either so I guess that is their version of on hold?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the R! Not all that upset, I wasn’t holding my breath haha

OOS, LM 74, complete mid July

+1, sounds like an interview waitlist? Has anyone gotten a straight up R that is different or are we all getting this hold

Is this the first year that NYU puts people on hold?

hahah it read like a rejection email so much my heart sank. heres to hoping. nice that we'll find out either way by end of november

Reactions: 1 users
Ya know, it's funny, they said that they don't like to string their applicants along with waitlists... yet here we are, waitlists and no sign of rejections (apparently there are Rs, nvm) or acceptances in sight.

Last edited:
My email said that the admissions committee “cannot offer you an interview.” If this is the interview hold email you’re talking about, I’m pretty certain it’s a rejection. Haha

My email said that the admissions committee “cannot offer you an interview.” If this is the interview hold email you’re talking about, I’m pretty certain it’s a rejection. Haha

The one I got had this language: "Though we are unable to offer you an interview at this time, please rest assured that the Committee on Admissions will continue to review your application throughout the remainder of the interview season. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis. "

Reactions: 4 users
The email I just got was definitely a pre-II R, not a waitlist. Maybe theyre sending two different emails

Edit: They are sending two different emails

Reactions: 3 users
The one I got had this language: "Though we are unable to offer you an interview at this time, please rest assured that the Committee on Admissions will continue to review your application throughout the remainder of the interview season. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis. "
same

Reactions: 1 user
Mine says something similar but then says they'll continue to review applications until November and that we're free to submit updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly this is the most excited i've been for a hold yet.. almost as good as getting an II haha

Reactions: 5 users
lmao also got the pre-II hold and right away knew this thread would explode

Reactions: 3 users
Testing our CARS skills here lmao, all of us trying to decipher if its a hold or R. Mine ended with telling us we'll continue being reviewed and offered to add an update so not a straight R which is nice

Reactions: 5 users
Can someone who said they were rejected confirm that they don't have the note that they might get an interview? Or did we all just get the same message after all?

Rejected or pre-II hold?

"Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Medicine. After careful review and consideration of your application, the Committee on Admissions unfortunately cannot offer you an interview."

Reject

Anyone else thinking the emails should just have one word? Hold/reject/interview/waitlist/accept. No need to beat around the bush with it

Reactions: 11 users
First R lol oh well, nice knowing you NYU

First R lol oh well, nice knowing you NYU
Just received a big FAT R.

Reject or the weird email saying:

Though we are unable to offer you an interview at this time, please rest assured that the Committee on Admissions will continue to review your application throughout the remainder of the interview season. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis.

R
complete 9/8
here’s to hoping for Columbia

GOT THE AXE. BIG FAT R
LM 75 complete 9/27.... Really hope the other NY schools show some love

Reject or the weird email saying:

Though we are unable to offer you an interview at this time, please rest assured that the Committee on Admissions will continue to review your application throughout the remainder of the interview season. Your application is important to us and we appreciate your patience while our committee continues to review applicants on a regular basis.
Mine was a straight out R. Nothing of that “will continue to look at your application” stuff .

Bummed but at this point not surprised to get the R. Thought they might be enticed by my juicy MCAT (LM 82), alas.

R
complete 9/8
here’s to hoping for Columbia
+1

Did I just get friend zoned by a medical school?

They told me they couldn't offer me an interview but really liked my application, and hope to see me again when I'm a physician...

Excuse me but I ain't no side biscuit you can save for later, byee

Reactions: 19 users
Just called to ask about the hold and they said that it does not mean that you will get an II but also does not mean that you will get a R. Kind of a non-answer tbh hahaha

Just called to ask about the hold and they said that it does not mean that you will get an II but also does not mean that you will get a R. Kind of a non-answer tbh hahaha
It means you’re on hold, aka waitlist for an interview

Edit: at this point in the cycle for NYU I have a feeling this basically means they’ve generally filled all their interview slots and if someone withdraws pre-interview then they’ll pull one of us from the hold list for that spot. Or if someone sends in a truly bomb update then they might be willing to squeeze that person in. But otherwise for the large majority of us that just got put on hold, in the end it will be an R rather than II

Reactions: 4 users
It means you’re on hold, aka waitlist for an interview

Edit: at this point in the cycle for NYU I have a feeling this basically means they’ve generally filled all their interview slots and if someone withdraws pre-interview then they’ll pull one of us from the hold list for that spot. Or if someone sends in a truly bomb update then they might be willing to squeeze that person in. But otherwise for the large majority of us that just got put on hold, in the end it will be an R rather than II

but they're extending their interview season from early Dec to mid-Dec now right? So seems like there could be a chance if you're on hold. maybe I'm just being optimistic tho lol

Got put on hold. Not sure what the actual chances of an II are. :eyebrow:

Post II?? They’re sending out info about this now finally??

Yeah, I got the email about an hour ago. I knew it was gonna be a bloodbath this year, so I'm not too sad (but still reasonably sad haha). I just hope I'm not the only one rejected post-II =P. Interviewed early September btw.