2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a post interview R from NYU. To be honest though I really liked nothing about this school except the free tuition. My impression of it was that although it is ranked #3, residency directors do not consider it among the likes of Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Columbia, Cornell etc. At this point it doesn't really matter, but I have a few other friends that interviewed and said that they wanted to use the FA package to get a match at other schools. What do other people think?
When did u interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Got a post interview R from NYU. To be honest though I really liked nothing about this school except the free tuition. My impression of it was that although it is ranked #3, residency directors do not consider it among the likes of Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Columbia, Cornell etc. At this point it doesn't really matter, but I have a few other friends that interviewed and said that they wanted to use the FA package to get a match at other schools. What do other people think?
Also when did you receive the news? Same time as the other guy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the R. No free tuition for this boi.

also got the “we don’t like you that much right now but are willing to settle for you in the future” email

Reactions: 4 users
Just to clarify, none of these rejections are post-interview yet, right?

What do we think the post-interview acceptance rate is going to look like this year?
If they interview as many people as they usually do, I expect around 10% to 15%

Members don't see this ad :)
They will interview almost 1000 so yes that's about right
If it really will be 1000, which I think is ridiculous given that they will only accept at most 100 people, the number is definitely closer to 10%.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm...well it seems like most of us post II still havent heard anything back right? Only 2 post II Rs so far? Surely there are more coming, unless the rest of us are in that "hold" stage

Hmmm...well it seems like most of us post II still havent heard anything back right? Only 2 post II Rs so far? Surely there are more coming, unless the rest of us are in that "hold" stage
It's tough to know the distributions.. Could be that a ton of people were rejected post II yesterday and didn't post about it, or that those decisions are coming out in a slow trickle just like the As.

Reactions: 2 users
It's tough to know the distributions.. Could be that a ton of people were rejected post II yesterday and didn't post about it, or that those decisions are coming out in a slow trickle just like the As.
ugh i want them just rip the bandaid already :(

Do you guys think everyone pre-II get a continued review or rejection email? Cause if everyone got a status update, then I'm thinking it might not actually be a hold, but truly a "we're still reviewing you" email

Do you guys think everyone pre-II get a continued review or rejection email? Cause if everyone got a status update, then I'm thinking it might not actually be a hold, but truly a "we're still reviewing you" email
I have no actual evidence for this but I think they probably did update everyone, based on the wording of the emails.

I have no actual evidence for this but I think they probably did update everyone, based on the wording of the emails.

I didn't get any email yesterday (hold, R, II) so I currently don't have a status other than complete. I was complete late august, which is earlier than many others in this thread. Maybe I'm getting one in the next batch of rejections next week? I really don't see myself getting an interview invite here tbh, so maybe they just haven't looked at some apps yet.

Anyone else here not hear anything back from NYU yet?

If it really will be 1000, which I think is ridiculous given that they will only accept at most 100 people, the number is definitely closer to 10%.

They are going to accept way more than 100. The final class will be 100, but they’ll probably have to accept 200-300 to get a yield of 100.

They are going to accept way more than 100. The final class will be 100, but they’ll probably have to accept 200-300 to get a yield of 100.

From what people reported about interview day here they don't seem to think so. I've heard a few people say they plan to accept around 100 for a class of 94 I think? And then pull from the wait list as needed. I think that's ridiculous though since I highly doubt they'll have that high of a yield. Lerner also has free tuition and they accept double their class size and still end up pulling from the wait list. I don't know how the extra year and being in Cleveland affects that over the 4 years in new York though so maybe they're trying to play it safe for the first year?

From what people reported about interview day here they don't seem to think so. I've heard a few people say they plan to accept around 100 for a class of 94 I think? And then pull from the wait list as needed. I think that's ridiculous though since I highly doubt they'll have that high of a yield. Lerner also has free tuition and they accept double their class size and still end up pulling from the wait list. I don't know how the extra year and being in Cleveland affects that over the 4 years in new York though so maybe they're trying to play it safe for the first year?
Agreed. It will definitely end up being well over 100 after people start dropping their accepts but it's just hard to say at this point what their yield will be so they have to play it safe

Accepting 100 and then pulling from the waitlist just means they are going to accept more than 100 lol. An accept is an accept. It makes sense that they are playing it by ear with the change in tuition policy + the change in traffic rules. So it’s perfectly sensible, but that waitlist is going to be pretty deep I think. So people who might be waitlisted have good reason to keep up their hopes imo!

Accepting 100 and then pulling from the waitlist just means they are going to accept more than 100 lol. An accept is an accept. It makes sense that they are playing it by ear with the change in tuition policy + the change in traffic rules. So it’s perfectly sensible, but that waitlist is going to be pretty deep I think. So people who might be waitlisted have good reason to keep up their hopes imo!

That makes sense, I was just referring to the initial acceptances. The thing that sucks about the wait list is you have no clue where you are on it and if it's gonna be deep this year it's just gonna be even worse.

On my interview day, they mentioned they will be accepting around 92 students only. 10 more will be accepted for md/PhD for a class of 102. They said because they don't know what the yield will be they will only be accepting 92 total and then accepting from the waitlist as needed. He asked those who would be accepted to make their decisions quickly so that they could inform others quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
Are we still in the dark with respect to SDNers who have gotten accepted from NYU?? Still nobody?

Don't schools normally accept many more students than the ones they eventually matriculate?

They do, but I imagine they're trying to be cautious about over admitting. It's not hard to pull from the waitlist as spots open up

Feel it coming for the rest of us too :/
Anyone who was invited to interview at NYU should feel proud of themselves. Keep thinking good thoughts. After all, even the most competitive medical schools have to admit someone (and it might as well be you).

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who received a "hold through November" email sent an update and subsequently received an II?

Has anyone who received a "hold through November" email sent an update and subsequently received an II?

considering we all received that email last friday and today is monday, i would be surprised if anyone did

anyone who interviewed the week of 9/17 hear back yet? (A, WL,or R?)

Anyone know the area code that Dean Rivera will call you from if you get accepted?

I imagine 212? Did you get a call???

I got two phone calls and an inaudible voice-mail from this area code on Monday. Almost had a heart attack. Called back and to my disappointment it was just a very dedicated telemarketer, lmfao.

Reactions: 5 users