2018-2019 NYU Long Island

Started by WildWing
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For folks who are certain they do not want to go here and have received an acceptance or WL, PLEASE WITHDRAW AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Of course, if you are still deciding, take all the time the school allows to make an informed decision, but if you know you don't want to go here, please withdraw as soon as you have decided. Those of us who are waitlisted or have not heard yet are very, very anxiously waiting with our anxiety growing with each passing day. Thank you so much to those of you on this thread who promptly withdrew when they decided not to go here.
 
I sent them my grades from spring semester (screenshot of unofficial transcript). But other than that, I feel like I don't have any other updates. To those on the waitlist: are you guys sending them anything else?
 
Should I start looking for housing and take care of all that stuff at the other school I'll go to if I don't get off this waitlist or should I wait a week or two?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I don’t understand why they’d interview and waitlist so many people for 24 spots. At this point they should just increase the class size
 
Yea I don’t understand why they’d interview and waitlist so many people for 24 spots. At this point they should just increase the class size
I don't think they can do that. They were probably approved for a certain class size by the LCME for their first class. Also, they are probably worried about their yield given their new status, the competitiveness of their applicants, and the new traffic rules, and are therefore playing it safe by waitlisting a large number of students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like we have a lot more fearmongering users on this thread than on Geisinger's previously.

Take all of these NEW accounts' posts with a grain of salt because the same thing happened on Geisinger's 2019 thread and people believed it was to deter people from attending and open up spots for the school.

Looking at you YHasaki

Hey guys I have been lurking around this thread for a while now, and I got my result back recently. I was doing some research on the school, and while at the interview they told they were accredited, LCME says they are only in prelims. http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/

I have read some horror stories on SDN about medical schools losing their accreditation and the students have to reapply to other schools, many not getting in and having to redo their medical education, including the MCAT at that time. I always thought you were guaranteed admission at another school, but apparently not.

We also apparently don't get our own cadavers; we get the sloppy seconds of other students. Hearkening back to when I did dissections (they looked unusable), I don't see how useful that would be.

I think I am going to drop it, as it seems very high risk for a substandard education. If you become a doctor, you should be able to pay off any debts you have from med school tuition, so the free part doesn't really speak to me.

Reading about accreditation horror stories really spooked me.
 
Lol KaioKaizen you can disagree with me if you want to, but really? You can't just talk about the positives of a school; this is supposed to be a place to critically analyze your options. That isn't fearmongering...

Also I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has said similar things in this thread alone. Is everyone discussing negatives about the school fearmongering now?
 
Lol KaioKaizen you can disagree with me if you want to, but really? You can't just talk about the positives of a school; this is supposed to be a place to critically analyze your options. That isn't fearmongering...

Also I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has said similar things in this thread alone. Is everyone discussing negatives about the school fearmongering now?

To each their own, maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but if you want to discuss the drawbacks of preliminary accreditation, I think Dr. Barlev detailed that pretty clearly when he said that NYULI had no outstanding disputable points during the LCME's visit while other, newly established schools typically have at least 1.

Regarding the plastinated cadavers, that's subjective.
 
I was waitlisted here, but fortunate enough to get accepted at another school. I was wondering what to do about finding roommates/apartments near the other school. I want to go ahead with plan b, but I'm reluctant to make any significant moves (like signing a lease) because I'm still waiting to hear back.

Is anyone in a similar situation?