2018-2019 NYU Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Long-time lurker here wishing the best to you all still waiting to hear back. The struggles are too real!!!

I'm looking to apply here next cycle and was wondering if this location requires CASPer? Couldn't find any info on this on their site. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Long-time lurker here wishing the best to you all still waiting to hear back. The struggles are too real!!!

I'm looking to apply here next cycle and was wondering if this location requires CASPer? Couldn't find any info on this on their site. Thanks :)
No Casper required

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think they’re reviewing applications in order of the interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I was super lucky to be accepted via phone call here. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,
I got a call yesterday afternoon at around 4ish I think! I interviewed first week of April for IM.
Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think it’s safe to assume all 24 acceptances have gone out

Would someone be willing to call and ask. Just so we’re all not waiting lol

If they haven't sent out an email announcing that decisions have been made thank you for applying etc. I would assume they have not finalized all spots. Meaning even if they sent out 24 acceptances there is still room for people who haven't heard anything to be accepted. The chance of being granted one of these seats- whether one of the remaining 24 or replacing someone who does not commit- of course decreases as time passes. We are all stressed and this is probably most of our dream program. Understand acceptance does not dictate your worth, in the realm of pre-med or otherwise, and beyond that just know there is still a chance. My thoughts on this at least- definitely been a stressful May, but all we can do is be positive and focus on our day to day! Congratulations to those who have been accepted and best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

• Love
Has anyone who interviewed on April 8th or later been accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you’re pretty sure a giant R wave is coming

Attachments

• 37C0F5FE-F0AD-4E07-B375-6AC5AD73CD86.jpeg
    37C0F5FE-F0AD-4E07-B375-6AC5AD73CD86.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Haha
When you’re pretty sure a giant R wave is coming

Lol I feel like half or even all of the slots are already filled so Rs should be coming soon. (just speculating)

But guys...

Attachments

• 20190515_190243.jpg
    20190515_190243.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 95
Alright
I just called (but please take this with a grain of salt).
The lady I spoke to told me that they are actually still in the process of calling applicants who are accepted.
I went on and asked when would be the last date for them to make these call. She said as it is rolling admission, she doesn’t know exactly when it woulda be.
I guess there is still hope but it is diminishing. :(

Reactions: 9 users
Alright
I just called (but please take this with a grain of salt).
The lady I spoke to told me that they are actually still in the process of calling applicants who are accepted.
I went on and asked when would be the last date for them to make these call. She said as it is rolling admission, she doesn’t know exactly when it woulda be.
I guess there is still hope but it is diminishing. :(
Thank you!!!

Are they just going to waitlist everyone they didn't accept? Or are people actually getting rejected?

waitlisted via e-mail, will be withdrawing! theyre sending these emails individually i believe

Also waitlisted, brings me back up to 5 WLs lol...at least I never got outright rejected from any of my interviews?

They also encourage you to keep adding updates because they say it’s unranked and they will continually reassess applicants as they pull from the WL.

Anyone from week of April 15th heard back?

Hey guys I have been lurking around this thread for a while now, and I got my result back recently. I was doing some research on the school, and while at the interview they told they were accredited, LCME says they are only in prelims. http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/

I have read some horror stories on SDN about medical schools losing their accreditation and the students have to reapply to other schools, many not getting in and having to redo their medical education, including the MCAT at that time. I always thought you were guaranteed admission at another school, but apparently not.

We also apparently don't get our own cadavers; we get the sloppy seconds of other students. Hearkening back to when I did dissections (they looked unusable), I don't see how useful that would be.

I think I am going to drop it, as it seems very high risk for a substandard education. If you become a doctor, you should be able to pay off any debts you have from med school tuition, so the free part doesn't really speak to me.

Reading about accreditation horror stories really spooked me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Ok
I’m probably going to get a lot of criticism fir this post, but I’ve always been one to express what I believe in . People should remember, this is NOT NYU. I got a rejection from NYU just like a lot of people, and a week later got an invitation to apply to this place. But, sorry, I’m not going to be duped by what this “school” is selling. From what I know and have read, anatomy is vital to medical school education, no matter what school or where. Plasticized anatomy models instead of cadaver dissections? No way a plastic model can replicate a human body, just like starting an IV in a model with those gorgeously bursting veins will never substitute for the satisfaction of starting one in a dehydrated drug addict with no palpable veins...
And if they can’t have a proper anatomy class, what else are you going to miss?
Are they going to cram basic science into one year? That’s a red flag to me. No thanks. And why would you sacrifice the opportunity to study or practice in ANY specialty after you’ve killed yourself for so long? Don’t be baited by the “NYU” name and the “free tuition”. You will sacrifice more than you ever dreamed of as far as learning opportunities are concerned.
Just my humble opinion.

Yeah I have these fears as well.
In fact there was a study recently done (Cadaver Dissection Is Obsolete in Medical Training! A Misinterpreted Notion) that concludes that "Medical practitioners, surgeons, anatomy teachers, and researchers in the anatomical field cannot avoid CD if they wish to become competent professionals. They need CD skills to assist them in performing safe and satisfactory practices during their professional careers. "

I don't see how you can get away without CD as a medical school and still expect your students to perform. Maybe I am misguided though.

I agree with you if you have another acceptance. And even more so if you have one at a top 20 school. However some of us don't have acceptances to choose from which makes it a difficult decision
Hey guys I have been lurking around this thread for a while now, and I got my result back recently. I was doing some research on the school, and while at the interview they told they were accredited, LCME says they are only in prelims. http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/

I have read some horror stories on SDN about medical schools losing their accreditation and the students have to reapply to other schools (I always though you were guaranteed admission at another school, but apparently not), many not getting in and having to redo their medical education, including the MCAT at that time.

We also apparently don't get our own cadavers; we get the sloppy seconds of other students. Hearkening back to when I did dissections (they looked unusable), I don't see how useful that would be.

I think I am going to drop it, as it seems very high risk for a substandard education. If you become a doctor, you should be able to pay off any debts you have from med school tuition, so the free part doesn't really speak to me.

I have read some horror stories on SDN about medical schools losing their accreditation and the students have to reapply to other schools (I always though you were guaranteed admission at another school, but apparently not), many not getting in and having to redo their medical education, including the MCAT at that time.

I think other lurkers on this thread may appreciate your opinion, but important to clarify a piece of misinformation: preliminary accreditation IS accreditation. any medical school that is matriculating its first class necessarily has to be in preliminary accreditation, because part of full accreditation is evaluating those students when they are in their 4th year of medical school. places like hofstra, netter, and UCR have been doing well despite being in preliminary accreditation not too long ago. Preliminary Accreditation...what does that mean

re: cadavers, to each their own. people can link op-eds back and forth on this. i assisted on dissections before, i didn't feel like digging around in tissue that has been preserved and lost its integrity was far more meaningful than a prosection or plastinated model, but that's just me, and perhaps its not something you know until you do one, but IMO, not a make-or-break factor.

Reactions: 3 users