2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Jun 23, 2018.

1. meddoctorhopeful

Anyone recently hear back from the late November group?

chairmanmax likes this.
  2. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

When will they get back to you guys on that ?

3. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

Yeah it seems risky to move away what it already working for students

4. keepyourheadup

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Complete silence since submission in mid-August.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bmwturnsignal likes this.
  5. lfa97

Same

6. lfa97

But I guess they send out rejections often so I guess no news is good news still. I always keep a glimmer of hope.

noisepollution likes this.
  7. Drakozord X

I will take an R over the complete silence any day. At this point in time, I’ve just lost all hope; don’t drag out the agony, it’s cruel.

bmwturnsignal and snowcrawler85 like this.
  8. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Called in, they said if you haven’t received anything, it’s because they haven’t read your file yet. They don’t usually do the ‘pending pile’ where they’re unsure about you (this is what the lady on the phone said) she also said once they’ve made a decision, they email you automatically.

9. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    I feel where you’re coming from. But OU really showed that they’re different. They don’t hold back their decisions

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Drakozord X and Goatcappy32 like this.
  10. Chicken Little

Medical Student
    I talked to our Medical Student Government Reps. It sounds like the change to completely professor exams will happen in the future. The reason I was given is the same as what was stated earlier (some NBME questions are outdated). However, this explanation doesn't make any sense since the Professors chose the questions from a bank of NBME questions. Why they can't just pick relevant questions is beyond my comprehension. I'll try and reach out and see if I can get a better answer.

Additionally, I've learned that not all finals are NBME. I was told the Neuro block has always been professor written.

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  11. bkf22

When should December interviewees expect to hear back?

g0b1u3 likes this.
  12. mcatears

I believe their next meeting is Jan 16th, so hopefully sometime next week??

bkf22 likes this.
  13. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Fair point. But if there is a recent guideline change (within the past 1-2 years, all of the questions in the NBME bank will be out of date because they were all written prior to the change.

Correct, the AFCP/BFCP exams and Neuro 1 & 2 exams have always been professor written. Honestly, though overall my personal preference is the NBME exams, the in-house neuro exams were some of the fairest and most straightforward ones we had. They were extremely well-written, and relevant to both Step 1 and clinical knowledge.

14. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

lol so they haven’t read my file since July?! I wonder what their criteria is for deciding what order apps are reviewed in

15. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, quick update!

Today is match day for ophthalmology applicants - it's one of a few specialties that have a separate matching system from everyone else who will match in March. In the current M4 class, 7 people applied to ophthalmology and I heard from some classmates that all 7 matched today! Ophtho is crazy competitive so we are really excited for them.

Disclaimer: This hasn't been confirmed "officially" by the administration but I will let you know if I hear anything different.

16. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    that's awesome! i know beaumont is big on ophthalmology so I would expect them to hook it up with their own graduates

17. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    We have matched very well in ophtho over the past few years! Dean Folberg is an ophthalmologist (and pathologist) and OUWB is the only school I'm aware of that has a mandatory ophtho rotation. It's only a week long and I'm not going into anything remotely similar to ophtho, but I still found it pretty cool and useful. So I think that generates a lot of interest in the specialty.

futuredoc0307 likes this.
  18. Drakozord X

This makes me want to go to OUWB ;w; All I need is an interview invite and acceptance lol

futuredoc0307 likes this.
  19. CrackedPepperSeeds

That's awesome! One of my student interviewers was applying to ophtho - so happy to know she matched!!

purplecrocs, esentr and mrslandingham like this.
  20. NABIHANA

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if this school accepts updates?

21. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    yeap, upload it right onto the portal. When I sent in my letter of interest, it labelled it as letter of intent, but the person I spoke to said they know its an interest letter (considering i havent received an interview yet lol)

NABIHANA likes this.
  22. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

That’s so amazing and great to hear !!! Wooo!!! I hope the rest of the students also match into their desired programs in March!

23. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's amazing to hear! If you don't mind, will you share your clinical experience at OUWB and its pros and cons? thanks :)

24. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sure!

So the bulk of our clinical experience is at Beaumont-Royal Oak, the biggest hospital in Michigan. It's over 1,000 beds, with >100 in the ED alone. It's a level 1 trauma center, has a level 3 (the highest level) NICU, PICU, multiple surgical ICUs, a medical ICU, and a cardiac ICU. It has residency programs in just about every specialty you can imagine.

We also spend some time at Beaumont-Troy, a ~500 bed community hospital. There are only family medicine residents there, and we spend time there on our FM rotation as well as neurology, anesthesia, EM, and in some cases an IM subspecialty.

You might spend a couple days to a couple weeks at Beaumont-Grosse Pointe, a smaller community hospital where there is also an FM residency.

As a learner, I've been very happy with my clinical rotations. Being at Beaumont-Royal Oak we get to see a lot of high acuity and unique cases that you wouldn't see elsewhere. Beaumont has been a teaching hospital for a long time before OUWB existed. The attendings and residents generally do a great job of teaching. There are, of course, some residents and attendings who are, uh, challenging to work with lol. But they are in the minority and in the cases where it's been really extreme the clerkship directors have been receptive to feedback and have intervened in appropriate ways. I really only had 1-2 people that were very tough to work with and I don't think it's worse or more common at Beaumont than anywhere else.

On most rotations, you will have a fair amount of responsibility. In the hospital, you'll be expected to see consults and admissions, round on "your" patients every morning, scrub into surgeries, write notes, present your patients to the team, etc. In clinics, you'll likely be seeing patients on your own, presenting to the attending, and then wrapping up the visit together with the attending. There are some rotations and attendings who will have you basically just shadow. In my experience this has been limited and typically when it's appropriate, e.g. more sensitive things like psych visits, peds (nervous parents & don't want the kid to start crying before the doc actually does the exam), OBGYN stuff, etc.

You'll have certain procedures, skills, and types of cases to get checked off on each rotation, and usually have daily or weekly didactics (lectures) from attendings and residents in that specialty. Each rotation will end with a national standardized shelf exam and an OSCE (a clinical skills exam).

Required rotations include:
    M3: IM (8 wks), surgery (8 wks), peds (8 wks), FM (6 wks), neuro (4 wks), psych (6 wks), OBGYN (6 wks), ophtho (1 wk), research time (1 wk).
    M4: sub-internship (4 wks, can do in IM, surgery, peds, FM, or I think EM?), EM (4 wks), anesthesia/pain (2 wks), diagnostic medicine (radiology + pathology, 2 wks). You have 16 weeks of elective time which you can use for away rotations or electives at Beaumont. You have 12 weeks of built in "vacation" time which most people use for interview season, "dedicated" time to study for or take Step 2 CK & CS, or schedule additional electives or away rotations specific to their specialty of interest.

#774 mrslandingham, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  25. CrackedPepperSeeds

For any current students...

Academic calendar says M1 classes begin August 5th. I am trying to coordinate vacation time with family and was wondering if that meant I could arrive in town the week prior and be fine or if there are events I need to attend prior to the 5th?

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  26. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you've been accepted I would go ahead and call the main office and ask them. I know there is a week of orientation prior to starting actual classes but I wouldn't know if that begins on or before Aug 5.

27. aceofhearts2618

2+ Year Member

Anyone know approx. how many IIs and interview dates are left for OUWB?

28. mcatears

Has anyone from the Dec 7th interview group heard back?

29. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thank you so much for answering my question so thoroughly! If you don't mind answering couple more questions, how well does the faculty/staff support you for your residency application/interview? I've heard some school try to be supportive and some not so much haha.
    Also, what kind of support system can you find at OUWB during both pre-clinical and clinical years?
    Because OUWB is still relatively a new school, would you say that there are a lot of places you can take leadership roles on? such as starting new clubs and etc?

30. g0b1u3

2+ Year Member

A few people from the December 7th interview posted that they were accepted on December 20th and 21st. I interviewed on December 7th and still haven't heard back. Hopefully we'll hear something by the end of this week.

31. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For this question, to an extent I can only answer with regards to my experience in the specialty I'm applying to. Overall I've been very happy with the support and resources offered to me while I've been applying to residencies.

Some of the resources available:
    - During M3-M4 Student Affairs hosts sessions, panels, and speakers on different aspects of residency applications. If you're not able to attend for whatever reason these are recorded and put up online for us to view. Some are applicable to every specialty, e.g. info about how to apply for away rotations, how to fill out the common residency application, fourth year scheduling, Step 2 board exams, etc. During the application cycle they've had panels come in and talk to us about what to expect from interviews, pre-interview socials/dinners, ranking programs, and sending letters of interest/intent. They also have some smaller events that are specialty specific.
    - Student Affairs also provides a bunch of info to students to help with the application process. Basically, they have a ton of specialty-specific packets that compile data from ERAS, the match, program director surveys, etc. about average step scores, what the most important parts of applications are, how many programs you should apply to and rank, etc. These are not available for all specialties yet but most of the more popular and more competitive specialties are completed.
    - There are two main staff members who help all students navigate the application process in various ways. They are WONDERFUL. They meet with all of us one on one for advising appointments (I think during third year?) to discuss our plans and help point us in the right direction. They will proofread your CV, personal statement, etc. They also offer mock interviews which I found extremely helpful. I email with them frequently to ask questions and get advice on specific situations.
    - For each specialty, there is also an attending who is the designated advisor for students applying to that specialty. They are usually involved with the Beaumont residency program as well so they can provide some additional insight into the applicant review process and evaluate your application in comparison to what they see every year. The advisor for my specialty has been very easy to get in touch with, and I met with them in person a few times and have been exchanging emails throughout the process.
    - I've also gotten really great informal advising from the attendings and residents I worked with during the rotation(s) I did in my specialty, as well as recent OUWB grads who are in my specialty.
    - I know that this year, my class has had a lot of informal get-togethers with M3s just to give tips on preparing for residency applications and fourth year scheduling. E.g. the M4s who are going into EM all met up with a bunch of M3s thinking about doing EM to give them some advice and answer questions. The most recent graduates did the same for my class last year. And whenever I run into M3s at the hospital who are thinking about my specialty, I'm always peppered with questions and very happy to help them out :)

The support system at OUWB is one of my favorite things about the school. In pre-clinical years, the professors are really wonderful and ALWAYS offer to students to come by their office if they're struggling. The staff and administrators are also really great and helpful, both for academic and personal needs. During the clinical years, clerkship directors and coordinators are a great source for help when you need it, as well as residents and attendings who you connect with (and I've gotten some wonderful mentors that I stay in touch with from my rotations!). Throughout all four years, we also have an academic support team to help with study/test-taking skills, clinical skills, etc. who are very accessible and supportive. And then we also have some free/low-cost confidential counseling available through the school, though I'm not sure about the details of that.

But I think the most important support system will be your classmates. You go through a lot of challenges together and I think it's tough to make it through med school without a couple good classmates to vent to and talk through stuff with. I went through some personal stuff in my preclinical years that affected my academics and some of my classmates honestly came out of the woodwork to help me out - offering to pick up groceries/food for me, taking over little tasks I needed to do for organizations I was involved with, offering notes and study guides and even tutoring, etc. And on rotations just having classmates notice and respond when I was having a rough day, stand up for me when I was getting some undeserved criticism, or acknowledge something I did well in front of the team...that stuff really makes a difference, and I see my classmates do it for me and each other all the time.

Yep, absolutely! I think we're getting more established and a lot of the "basic" clubs and interest groups are formed, and I'm a bit out of the loop on what's been going on with most of the M1s/M2s at the moment due to being gone for interviews and away rotations. But there were definitely some new clubs created in the last year or two - just off the top of my head, we started a chapter for the Association of Women Surgeons, interest groups in healthcare economics and med tech, some issue-specific political advocacy groups, and a few clubs related to wellness/humanism type things.

And then even if you're joining an established club, many groups are still in the process of starting new projects, initiatives, etc. that are very easy to get involved with as a member of the executive boards.

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  32. JugglesMed

Pre-Medical

#782 JugglesMed, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  33. bkf22

Did anyone hear anything today?

34. mcatears

I didn't hear anything today, but praying tomorrow holds good news!:)

bkf22 likes this.
  35. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Complete 7/24...no news :/

36. chargers55

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    II today, complete mid august. sent update beginning of december.

owlsandturtles likes this.
  37. GI-ZTG

In-State Applicant
    GPA: 4.0
    MCAT: 521
    Application Complete: 8/28/2018
    Interview Invite: 11/29/2018 @ 5:16PM via Email
    Interview Date: 12/13/2018
    Acceptance: 1/17/2019 @ 2:15PM via phone & Email

38. nrs2doc

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck on your interview.
    complete 7/27. Still waiting ....

owlsandturtles and qwerta like this.
  39. g0b1u3

2+ Year Member

Accepted today! December 7 interview group, LM 68, in-state, complete early August :D

40. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Do y’all think that was the last wave of interview invites?

bmwturnsignal and lit6578 like this.
  41. aceofhearts2618

2+ Year Member

Lol I really hope not. The last interview date is March 8th, so I’d like to think they haven’t filled all the interview spots till then already. Maybe those who got IIs can fill us in on how many open days they saw on their portal?

squareone and qwerta like this.
  42. Chandler Bing

So i'm guessing they're not reviewing files in order? Probably some sort of filter on it that is filtering me out... for now I hope.

43. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A few more updates!

1) The urology match was this past week - from what I've been hearing we matched 2/2! Again, this is just from word of mouth and not any official source, and I'll update if I hear differently.

2) Dean Folberg announced today that he will be stepping down as head of the medical school. Not sure if you guys had a chance to meet him on your interview day. I don't have any details as to the reason, but he has been in the position for 10+ years since the school started and will be staying on as a faculty member. It sounds like there will be a national search for a new dean. Dean Folberg obviously has been a huge influence in shaping the unique culture of the school, and has done a really wonderful job of hiring assistant/associate deans, faculty, and staff who believe in OUWB's mission. I'm sad he'll be leaving the role, but I'm confident they will make sure his replacement is someone who will continue the good work he's been doing. I don't have any more info on this right now but here is an article that was published about it.

44. chairmanmax

I'm just curious, what can you and others make of this news? Should we be concerned at all?

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  45. mrslandingham

mrslandingham OUWB M4
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not really sure what to make of it, to be honest! We students just found out about it yesterday ourselves. That's truly all the info I have and I don't really like to speculate. Just from what I've heard from a handful of classmates and recent alumni, people are bummed he's stepping down and mostly seem to be attributing it to it just being time - it's a tough job, and 10 years is actually a fairly long tenure for a medical school dean. He's staying on as faculty and not leaving the school completely, and is well-liked. So at this point I don't have any reason to believe there's any issue with the school that led to his stepping down.

I'm not concerned, personally. Because he has recruited other administrators, faculty, and staff who are committed to the culture of the school, I'm sure whoever they bring in next will be just as committed and the school will continue moving in the same direction. Because we're a newer school, we're very accustomed to navigating change, so I think we can take a new dean into stride without much difficulty.

46. Caerus12321

Does anyone know how receptive OUWB is to letters of intent after being waitlisted post interview? Is it a bad idea to send one now?

47. teenyfish

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got in an II yesterday! Complete 8/10

astrolocholo and aceofhearts2618 like this.
  48. showstooppa96

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone aware of any waitlist movement with Oakland?

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

49. futuredoc0307

Pre-Medical
    last year, a lot of tier 1 were accepted and some of tier 2. So i deduce that all of tier 1 was accepted since they accepted off tier 2. as for this cycle, i only saw 1 person got off the waitlist so far. things wil start moving mid april

showstooppa96 likes this.
  50. aspiring16doc

Nothing but silence since submitting my secondary in August... ouwb saves their favorites for last right??

#800 aspiring16doc, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019