2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now, IS LM 72, complete 8/2, sent an update about a week ago! Only date available was Feb 15th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OUWB got 8,535 applications last year. Let's guess that maybe 1,000-2,000 didn't make it past the secondary screen (below minimum MCAT/GPA, not meeting citizenship/residency requirements, other major red flags that are easily identified with a cursory or computerized review, etc.). So now there are about 7,000 applications to review for interview.

Two people review each application before making an interview recommendation, so let's assume maybe one hour total is spent on each application prior to interviews (and I think that's being stingy). So 7,000 hours worth of pre-interview review would be 175 40-hour work weeks, or >3 years of one person working full time to review all those applications. We do have lots of people reviewing applications, but it's not their full-time job - they're practicing physicians, teachers, and/or administrators, they're parents or spouses or people who take care of their elderly parents, they're people who get sick and have things that come up and interrupt their days. They're spending maybe 1/2-1 day a week reviewing applications. And that's not to mention the roles they may also play in interviewing 400+ students, helping with the logistics of interview day, making post-interview decisions, and other aspects of admissions.

Consider also that the majority of applicants submit early during the summer months.

That's why it takes so long to review applications submitted early/on time. As to how they stratify applications, I have no idea. But at any med school, reviewing applications is a HUGE undertaking, and it takes time to do it well, especially with the depth/holistic-ness that OUWB does it.

ETA: Just to clarify, some of the numbers above are just guesses/estimates on my part, but we do get 8500+ apps each year and interview 450+ students. I do know exactly how much it sucks to be waiting to hear from schools and I 100% understand why it's frustrating. Just trying to give some perspective from "the other side" - it's really just the way the system works, as unfortunate as that is.

They send you a decision as soon as they know. Tons of people in this thread have already been rejected pre-interview.

Not sure if it was posted anywhere, but can confirm OU's campus was closed for a few days last week and as a result I'd guess most/all of the admissions office were not there.

i appreciate it thank you!

Has OUWB posted any stats on number of interviews requested/completed and offers made?

Reactions: 1 user
Do y’all think interview invites might go out tomorrow.. considering they may have held a meeting today?

Fingers super crossed

Reactions: 1 users
Do y’all think interview invites might go out tomorrow.. considering they may have held a meeting today?

Fingers super crossed

I hope it’s tomorrow too. Perhaps their meeting went on a little longer which was the case for some meetings last year. I’m with you. Tomorrow early morning afternoon we should hear something if they did meet today.

anyone know the approximate date for their last interview day?

Just got a call, interviewed 1/18

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got waitlisted but they didn't say which tier... interviewed 10/26

They tell you if you’ve been waitlisted same day they’ve send acceptances. If you heard nothing then they haven’t decided yet

Are they doing silent waitlist for first tier again? Or are they emailing everyone who got waitlisted regardless of tiers?

I heard that last year the first tier people don’t find out until spring

They don't tier people until the spring but they do let some people know if they'll be waitlisted now. If you haven't heard back post interview yet they're still sitting on your application and will review it during AdCom meetings. They email everyone they waitlist.

they also inform if you have been put in a third tier waitlist. if the email did not mention anything about third tier, then you are in a pile that will be split into tier 1 & 2 in the spring.

Just confirming here. Okay, so my understanding is that if you get a call you get accepted. If you get an email, you are either rejected or waitlisted on to third tier. How come they are doing a different waitlist without tier notice...could that be the same as being reviewed each adcom meeting? I haven’t received an email or call (interview 01/18) so I’m assuming they are going to review it next round which I think is in about 1.5 weeks from today or will they meet this Wednesday again. They missed a Wednesday before this week due to weather conditions.

Also, curious if anyone who received calls will be withdrawing their acceptances?

Last edited:
Just confirming here. Okay, so my understanding is that if you get a call you get accepted. If you get an email, you are either rejected or waitlisted on to third tier. How come they are doing a different waitlist without tier notice...could that be the same as being reviewed each adcom meeting? I haven’t received an email or call (interview 01/18) so I’m assuming they are going to review it next round which I think is in about 1.5 weeks from today or will they meet this Wednesday again. They missed a Wednesday before this due to weather conditions.

Also, curious if anyone who received calls will be withdrawing their acceptances?

they inform everyone of where they end up regardless. the "silent first or second tier" thing is not being done anymore. so if you are not accepted they will send an email of either rejection, 3rd tier, or "the other waitlist pile" that will eventually be split into tier 1 and 2 tier in mid april. if you don't get the email today, you still might get the call!

Hello! I have a question for any of the current students at OUWB if they are able to see this. I was admitted in October and am seriously considering OUWB as one of my top choices to attend. However, would someone be able to elaborate more on how they feel about the Honors/Pass/Fail pre-clinical years here at OUWB (this is my only area of skepticism and I was not able to get more information on it during my interview day)?

Most of the other schools I had a chance to interview for are primarily P/F and as a result students are able to prioritize outside resources that help with STEP 1 and somewhat coincide with their school tests as well (NBME examinations), thus being able to simultaneously pass their courses but also get a head start on STEP 1 preparations. I am not 100% sure, but from my visit to OUWB, I saw a really strong emphasis on attending lecture and studying from lectures. In order to honor in a class, would you need to 100% stick with what the professors are putting in their lectures, or would you be able to rely on outside resources (by these I mean the typical Anki, Boards & Beyond, and other things that medical students emphasize to start early) as well? Also would current students say that the lectures correspond well with what is going to appear on STEP and is it typically very difficult to honor in a class (I remember on interview day, the administrators said unlimited people can honor, but I just wanted to possibly gauge the actual difficulty of obtaining an honor)?

I know from previous threads and replies that pre-clinical grades are not an area of immediate importance but I hope to be able to come back to CA (familial reasons) and wish to put my best foot forward when I begin medical school. I sincerely loved everything else about OUWB when I visited (the student body, diversity, location, hospital, opportunities). There was just a little gray area for me regarding the H/P/F system. Thank you to anyone who is able to help!!

Current OUWB student here. Most people from out of state either drive here or ship their cars because we were told by upperclassman that Michigan is the state with the highest car insurance and the cost of auto insurance you pay per month if I get your car here would eventually cost more than the cost of shipping your car here. Depends on where you ship the car from, cost from CA is average $1k-1.5k (lowest is probably $800)

Message me for details on our curriculum regarding H/P/F.

Is there a $100 deposit to secure out spot, that we need to put down? I read through all the acceptance emails and letter and could not find it. Also I don't see it anywhere on the portal

Current OUWB student here. Most people from out of state either drive here or ship their cars because we were told by upperclassman that Michigan is the state with the highest car insurance and the cost of auto insurance you pay per month if I get your car here would eventually cost more than the cost of shipping your car here. Depends on where you ship the car from, cost from CA is average $1k-1.5k (lowest is probably $800)

Message me for details on our curriculum regarding H/P/F.

How does driving there or shipping your car lower your insurance? Your insurance cost depend on where you live, not where the car is registered, afaik.

How does driving there or shipping your car lower your insurance? Your insurance cost depend on where you live, not where the car is registered, afaik.

We can keep our former state insurance because we only move here temporarily for school and therefore not required to register a new MI license plate etc here => don't need to pay MI car insurance.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a $100 deposit to secure out spot, that we need to put down? I read through all the acceptance emails and letter and could not find it. Also I don't see it anywhere on the portal
Yes but it's due pretty late. I remember freaking out over this too but I think it's around March that it's due and they will send you reminder.

Yes but it's due pretty late. I remember freaking out over this too but I think it's around March that it's due and they will send you reminder.
Thanks so they will open an option on the portal sometime soon or in march?

they inform everyone of where they end up regardless. the "silent first or second tier" thing is not being done anymore. so if you are not accepted they will send an email of either rejection, 3rd tier, or "the other waitlist pile" that will eventually be split into tier 1 and 2 tier in mid april. if you don't get the email today, you still might get the call!
Yes exactly. When I interviewed I actually didn’t hear back until more than a month later while my one friend heard back before the winter break that she was accepted. By January 17th I started freaking out and was about to call them when I got the phone call! It was my first acceptance and really meant the most since I really loved my interview day experience and this program. So sometimes no news really is good news.

Yes exactly. When I interviewed I actually didn’t hear back until more than a month later while my one friend heard back before the winter break that she was accepted. By January 17th I started freaking out and was about to call them when I got the phone call! It was my first acceptance and really meant the most since I really loved my interview day experience and this program. So sometimes no news really is good news.

I appreciate the comment thank you! This makes me feel at ease

We can keep our former state insurance because we only move here temporarily for school and therefore not required to register a new MI license plate etc here => don't need to pay MI car insurance.
Are you not telling your insurance company that you moved? Your insurance rates are based on where you live, not the state your car is registered in. It doesn't matter that it's temporary for a few years. If you get into an accident, they can and probably will decline to cover you and/or file fraud charges.

Are you not telling your insurance company that you moved? Your insurance rates are based on where you live, not the state your car is registered in. It doesn't matter that it's temporary for a few years. If you get into an accident, they can and probably will decline to cover you and/or file fraud charges.

right. you don't need a new license plate, but you do need to inform your insurance where you will be driving, specially since michigan insurance laws are one of a kind.

Wondering about this too. I thought it was based on the state that you are living in

Any ideas about how many interviews spots are left?

i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, or so i think i do... #waitlistsquad

Does anyone have the data regarding how many people were placed on the wait-list last year, and how many were on each tier? I'm on it for this year and just trying to gauge my % chances. I know that on interview day they mentioned that most of the first-tier from last year got in. I just wanted to see if anybody had the numbers on it.

I could be wrong, but if you are still under your parents' car insurance, I heard it is okay since your "permanent residence" is still with your parents.

I could be wrong, but if you are still under your parents' car insurance, I heard it is okay since your "permanent residence" is still with your parents.
Insurance companies won't care when you file a claim in Oakland County and they find out you go to school there 9/12 months a year. They will deny your claim and/or file fraud charges - they could even charge you (or your parents) with theft of services. Where is the car parked each night and how long is your commute each day. Not worth lying to save $1000 a year.

Yes to both. Basically no chance at this point right?

I have no idea man, but I hope you hear good news from somewhere! I haven't heard a single thing from OUWB since I was complete in July.

Yes to both. Basically no chance at this point right?

I don't want to give you too much hope but i also want to point out that OU has not been hesitant to reject people they think are not a good fit. so as long as you're not rejected, then they like you. it just boils down to the competitiveness of the pool and the limited seats available

I got a straight R from here yesterday. Complete in september. Hold doesn't sound bad at all.
Application placed on hold? Is this basically a rejection? Considering interviews end in a month...

Depends on the state of your origin, in our state, it's listed on the DMV website that if it's for school, we are not required to register or declare it with our insurer. I have also worked with my insurance company and told them about it so they know.

Michigan is a no-fault insurance state (which is why it's high), meaning if you get into an accident, it's the other person's car insurance's problem, not yours. So you only need to work with your insurance to cover for your own car's damage.

You can look up this topic up on sdn. Residents, med students, we all do it when we move to places we don't see ourselves living longer than 4 years. But if you don't want to do that, you are welcome to buy it here and pay MI insurance. I'm just telling others it's possible and exactly what the last class has taught us + personal experience/ research because I never want to break the law.

....I'm just telling others iI never want to break the law.

As long as people tell their insurance company, they are fine. I have never heard of an insurance company who didn't care where you parked the car and didn't adjust rates accordingly. But that's awesome if they don't for some people! It's a ton of savings if you come from a low cost state.

What did they say in your email? They stated you were waitlisted after interview?

i've been waitlisted since october lol. I was just excited that we're getting closer to the time the waitlist starts moving. they tell you whether you are waitlisted 3rd tier or just waitlisted. if you get the latter then in april they tell u which tier (1 or 2) they put u in

II just now! OOS, complete in September

Reactions: 6 users