2018-2019 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (Athens, Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My understanding of the pre-med use of the term “silent rejection” would refer to ‘rejection’ from consideration at any point in the process. Whether or not that is an official post-interview rejection. The silent component refers to the perception by the student. If the student never hears from the school that they are no longer (or never were) under consideration, then that is a silent rejection.

If I understand Ohio U’s process as you have described it, this is what happens, yes?
Hi MotherofDragonflies! Thank you so much for that perspective. Yes, now that I have a better understanding of the definition, I would have to agree that we do engage in silent rejection. We've never really thought of it that way before. We looked at it as everyone still has a chance for acceptance until either the interview is offered or the cycle has ended.

However, in light of this question and conversation, we are considering adding statuses something along the lines of "Reviewed-No Further Consideration" and "Reviewed-Further Consideration". What are SDN reader's thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people are interviewed vs how many people accepted?

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed vs how many people accepted?

They told us last year around 4000 applicants, in the neighborhood of 500-600 interviews, with a class of 240 (these numbers may be off but are close enough to give you an idea). Then maybe another 100 or so people get waitlisted.

There is no way to know exactly how many people get accepted in a class because many of those accepted may have multiple offers and may take those over OU-HCOM. Also, note that there are many people who will hold multiple spots at multiple schools until they are forced to pick one over the other. Yes, not a great system but it is what we got.

If you have an interview I would not think of it in terms of "I got such and such chance now." Just go in and do your best and see what happens. Maybe you are accepted, maybe not. All you can do is give 100 and see what happens. It may be unnecessarily stressful but it is what is. I will say OUHCOM is better than most and will get you a decision in a matter of days. Props to the admission staff on that.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree with Dr.Mittens!! The Deans Hour was a complete joke. It seems like the faculty wants to pretend they 'care' but do not offer any solutions to the problems that we have been raising since the first semester. Additionally, many students have offered great solutions to many problems yet the faculty refuse to implement them, despite the class as a whole agreeing these changes would drastically improve the situations! When the issues of busy work & wasted class time were raised, the dean got offended that it was referred to as a waste of time, and said they're teaching us to be better people and not just to pass boards LOL. They completely changed the curriculum JUST SO more people would pass boards. And how does BS'ing essays make us better people exactly?? Additionally, all the dean does is blame the students for not studying effectively. I don't know how fast the faculty reads, but reading 8 chapters for ONE objective takes the rest of us some time. And when you raise these issues, curriculum directors are like, "oh well the faculty should know not to do that, but we really have no control." Problems continue adding up, faculty continue trying to placate the students without offering any actual changes. The morale of the class is so low, with everyone stressing because they're so behind, yet it's our fault for trying to finish the prep guides and understand them, instead of "getting the big picture," despite getting tested on very specific minutia from the readings. According to the faculty, "It's okay if you miss those points on an exam, just focus on the big picture." If we should only be focusing on big picture stuff then why is that on the exam anyways and why should the students be punished for this??

Administration needs to take a note from our previous assignment on giving and receiving feedback. Anyone else very concerned at the explanation given for reassessments? Almost sounded like they were setting up those students for failure!

Hi everyone! I'm a first year student currently enrolled in the new curriculum at OUHCOM. I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience here, and I really like the new curriculum. No disrespect to my classmates who feel differently, but I wanted to make myself available so a variety of perspectives can be considered. Feel free to PM me, I am happy to share.

Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone who got accepted not get the call, only the email? I interviewed yesterday and now I'm freaking out because I didn't get a call

Did anyone who got accepted not get the call, only the email? I interviewed yesterday and now I'm freaking out because I didn't get a call
To be fair, they said Monday for all decisions and said nothing of calling that night

Lots of people who get accepted don't get called.

Hi i didnt get any call either! I am also panicking

I was accepted and I didn't receive a phone call! I got an email the Monday following at around 9 am.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are still sending out interviews?

Reactions: 4 users
My portal only recently changed to reflect they received my LOR’s. Up until a week or so ago I assumed I’d been rejected because it had been sitting at “secondary submitted” since September. Maybe that means some stuffs happening still.

Does anyone know when the first day of classes are for dublin?

II just not. hang in there guys. Ik it's not it is toward the end of cycle but IIs are still. possible!

II just not. hang in there guys. Ik it's not it is toward the end of cycle but IIs are still. possible!
Congrats!!!! Any chance you’re willing to share your complete date and stats? :) also still waiting to hear

Congrats!!!! Any chance you’re willing to share your complete date and stats? :) also still waiting to hear
sure! I have around 3.6 gpa, 510 MCAT, BME major and IS. lots of patient interaction experience. I was completed like late August or early September.

I have an interview March 29th! Any advice to prepare for it? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,
I'm currently finishing school at OSU and looking to apply to OUHCOM. I wanted to get some perspective on my app from students b/c im somewhat non-traditional. Started off as bio-premed, did horrible my freshman year with science classes (2.0, rough adjustment, came from an underdeveloped school district - only two AP classes that were lit/english). Switched to finance because it was another interest of mine and I was pursuing a business minor as well. Had some personal experiences that made me want to complete pre-med classes and pursue medicine, so I'll graduate with finance and have my prereqs finished. brought cumGPA up to 3.45ish, but worried about science GPA since the only science classes I'll have are the prereqs with some C's from freshman year. currently doing research, volunteering at a hospital, have leadership xp, have shadowed multiple DOs and taking MCAT in June, so I will be taking a gap year. I plan on working as a PSA through Ohio Health and continuing research, but I wanted to see if anyone recommended taking a few more classes.

If anyone had any feedback or advice for my app (specifically GPA/coursework), it would be greatly appreciated. I had a tour of the Dublin branch and fell in love with it, and I love the DO philosophy!

Thanks.

Does anyone know when the first day of classes are for dublin?
According to the academic calendar they just recently posted, orientation starts the week of August 11, and the first day of class is August 26. They will be sending you more e-mails as the dates come closer though!

Hey guys,
I'm currently finishing school at OSU and looking to apply to OUHCOM. I wanted to get some perspective on my app from students b/c im somewhat non-traditional. Started off as bio-premed, did horrible my freshman year with science classes (2.0, rough adjustment, came from an underdeveloped school district - only two AP classes that were lit/english). Switched to finance because it was another interest of mine and I was pursuing a business minor as well. Had some personal experiences that made me want to complete pre-med classes and pursue medicine, so I'll graduate with finance and have my prereqs finished. brought cumGPA up to 3.45ish, but worried about science GPA since the only science classes I'll have are the prereqs with some C's from freshman year. currently doing research, volunteering at a hospital, have leadership xp, have shadowed multiple DOs and taking MCAT in June, so I will be taking a gap year. I plan on working as a PSA through Ohio Health and continuing research, but I wanted to see if anyone recommended taking a few more classes.

If anyone had any feedback or advice for my app (specifically GPA/coursework), it would be greatly appreciated. I had a tour of the Dublin branch and fell in love with it, and I love the DO philosophy!

Thanks.

Hey I'm a non-traditional student also who was accepted. PM me!

Just got an interview invite. Same week I get a job offer for a great job that would help me to become a competitive reapplication (working under a lot of wonderful doctors and receive lots of mentorship and shadowing opportunities - my main application weakness this round). I’m a little conflicted about OU but a lot of the insight here has been helpful.

Complete early September. 511 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, ORM. Psych undergrad with business master’s degree. Interview date April 19th.

Just got an interview invite. Same week I get a job offer for a great job that would help me to become a competitive reapplication (working under a lot of wonderful doctors and receive lots of mentorship and shadowing opportunities - my main application weakness this round). I’m a little conflicted about OU but a lot of the insight here has been helpful.

Complete early September. 511 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, ORM. Psych undergrad with business master’s degree. Interview date April 19th.
Was it to interview for a wait list spot or regular spot in the class? It will say for the wait list if it is for the wait list

Congrats btw

Was it to interview for a wait list spot or regular spot in the class? It will say for the wait list if it is for the wait list

Congrats btw

Thanks! It doesn’t say waitlist so I would assume regular spot. I wanted the Dublin location - does anyone know if there are any spots left for that location?

Hello November, there are indeed a lot of medical schools also turning to flipped classroom. Ohio state (partially) and Harvard, to name a few. I cannot speak to if they had concerns when they first transitioned. In terms of OU doing something different, it may be that OU is not only turning to a flipped classroom, but also at the same time moving away from block systems into a more integrated patient based way of teaching.

Thus, instead of learning everything about cardio at once, we learn everything about a certain disease state (e.g. heart failure) and how it affects other systems (e.g. pulmonary edema at the lungs). So instead of having a cardio block, a renal block, etc, now there is an acute disease block, a chronic disease block, a healthy state block, etc. In my opinion, this might be why there is a little more of an adjustment - it's a little more change at once than perhaps other schools do (usually they transition from blocks one year, and then the next year transition to flipped classroom).

However, the school is aggressively pursuing improvement and making sure people don't slip through the cracks. This last week they adjusted the exam scores and also resolved some class schedule concerns students had, and Wednesday the dean will be meeting with students to also address questions. I don't expect any (if at all) of these hiccups to still be problems when the new class begins in the fall. Feel free to DM if you have more questions.

(Bear with me here, and if you glaze over, skip to the end)

Just want to throw in my two cents: I'm not personally a first year, and can't speak first-hand as to difficulty or fairness of the new flipped-classroom model and how OU-HCOM is implementing it, but I'll tell you what I've observed.

1) I have some friends in the class below (seriously, others who have said the students are the best part of OU-HCOM are right--it's a very collaborative and supportive atmosphere all around)--I have some friends in the class below, and other than being busy all the time (welcome to medical school) they haven't really complained a lot. I've sought out the opinions of other first years I didn't know very well, and I really haven't heard all that much complaining when I talk to people in person. I think two things are happening to blow it out of proportion: a few dissatisfied voices are being super loud, and there tends to be a bit of a herd mentality where others around them sort of jump on the bandwagon in the heat of moment (like when people complain after a particularly difficult test) even though they don't actually feel as negatively as they pretend to when talking with the real dissenters. ...that seems more convoluted than it did in my head. Anyway, what others have told me is that it's hard, time-consuming, and sometimes difficult to know what to study for the upcoming exam.

2) My class complained about the block curriculum from time to time--not about how material was being presented, but about things we saw in Pathoma for example that weren't covered in class, or how the exam tested nitpicky details we were sure aren't necessary for Level 1 (like the % of people suffering from a certain disease, etc). Basically, it was just complaining about different things in different ways.

So here's my overall assessment of the situation (for what it's worth):

-Medical school is difficult, no matter what type of curriculum you have.
-There are always dissenters, no matter what program or how things are presented.
-No medical school can cover everything you need to know for boards in the amount of lecture time available, and there will always be things you have to study on your own anyway.
-There probably is some legitimacy to the claim of the first-year curriculum being a bit haphazard; I tend to think the administrators might have been a bit ambitious making so many changes all at once.
-That being said, I think they have done the best they can to accommodate students and take their feedback into consideration, and I guarantee there will be changes next year (and every year) that will reflect this feedback.
-I have worked personally with some of the administration in various settings, and I can say with certainty they really care about the students and their success.

-Lastly: There are SO MANY resources for medical students out there, that it almost doesn't matter where you go to school unless you care about prestige, or are a terrible self-studier. If you are motivated to do well on Level 1/Step 1 and know how to work Google, you can score as high as anyone else. 'Attending class' in general has almost become a formality these days, and this is exactly why OU-HCOM is doing what they're doing. They want to make sure they're giving you something you can't Google--in-class time to work through cases and collaborate, talk things through with classmates, and apply the things you you have already learned. Doesn't matter if you learned it in a lecture, or by reading yourself beforehand; bring what you've learned and apply it to a situation.

So... if you get into OU-HCOM, come join the family. We have quarrels sometimes, and the younger siblings are currently jealous of the older siblings' shiny (weathered and beaten up) curriculum, but we all help each other out. The tools are available to succeed and end up in whatever practice you want. The prestige might not be equal to some, but if you crush boards, build your CV by getting involved, and aren't a jerk, then you're only limited by your own motivation. Medical school is a wild ride; it's nice to do it with other people who care.

Reactions: 4 users
To be honest, I was one of those last year who complained that my school wasn't adequately preparing me for Level 1.

Then I started hard-core board studying, and realized that there's no way they could have even if they tried. They give you a nice platform from which you can actually understand the rest of the stuff you have to learn. And they give you a few high-yield pearls along the way. But if you just use some of the great resources out there, you'll learn what you need to learn.

Also, I'm an out-of-state student, and married with a family. It's not impossible for out-of-state students to get in. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about the dual-degree program, having a family while in med school, or being an out-of-state applicant.

Thanks! It doesn’t say waitlist so I would assume regular spot. I wanted the Dublin location - does anyone know if there are any spots left for that location?
Dublin was my first choice too! I'm wondering if a few spots opened up there for us!

Dublin was my first choice too! I'm wondering if a few spots opened up there for us!

My friend’s brother interviewed last year late March and he still got a Dublin spot (but he was also a super star who just happened to submit late so he’s probably the exception, not the rule)

anyone interviewed today got a phone call from a 740 number? I'm still in disbelief about the acceptance..... I guess I'll wait till the official email before I believe it

Last edited:
II today for 4/19. Looks like they're still interviewing every Friday through the end of April.

Congrats btw
Hi! Do you have a screenshot of how it says if you're interviewing for the waitlist or not ??

Hi! Do you have a screenshot of how it says if you're interviewing for the waitlist or not ??
Na. But it would explicitly state (probably in bold) that their spots are full and they would like you to interview for the waitlist. If it doesn't say it in your email, I wouldn't over think it. Waitlist interviews were something they did last year, to my knowledge (based on this forum) those interview types have not been sent yet.

Last edited:
Interviewed 1/25, was wait-listed for the Athens campus since 1/28. Received a call today saying I got an acceptance off the wait-list!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 1/25, was wait-listed for the Athens campus since 1/28. Received a call today saying I got an acceptance off the wait-list.
Congrats! I interviewed and was waitlisted on these same dates. Did you send a LOI or updates?

Congrats! I interviewed and was waitlisted on these same dates. Did you send a LOI or updates?

Thanks! My initial wait-list status email and SDN posts from previous cycles implied they wouldn't reopen the wait-list until early May, so I was not planning to send an update letter until late April. Getting the call from Dean Schriner himself yesterday morning was a pleasant surprise tho.

Hey guys! I've been a long time lurker here on sdn. I interviewed in October and received an acceptance for the Athens location and I must say I absolutely loved OUHCOM! I am looking forward to coming here in the fall. I am from Ohio and have always heard great things about this school.

Last edited:
who do they call? it seems like most people dont get calls. Is it only OU undergrads that get them the day of?