2018-2019 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences OSUCHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok glad I'm not the only one! I sent them an email so hopefully we'll hear back soon. I had an issue with the third page as well but it finally went through for some reason.
Thanks! I'm not worried about it, I'm sure they'll see the problem and get it fixed relatively quickly.

woo! Commenting so I can find this thread later on easily.

Edit:
Also, is the global health track new? I knew they had the options of international trips, but I had not heard of it an actual health track before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
woo! Commenting so I can find this thread later on easily.

Edit:
Also, is the global health track new? I knew they had the options of international trips, but I had not heard of it an actual health track before.

Same,
Are you still waitlisted?

Anyone know if they show much OOS love? Sorry im too lazy to search.

When I go on my application, on the fourth page "Elective Programs", I check the boxes for the Global Health Track and save it, however when I go to a different page and come back to it, my selections are erased. Can you check your submitted app and see if it saved those check boxes for you?

Yah, it was happening to me too. However, my summary page said it was complete so I trusted that it worked correctly. if you click yes, it prompts you to write an essay discussing why, so I'm sure if my answer did erase, the empty text box would clue them into the fact that I wasnt interested.

Anyone know if they show much OOS love? Sorry im too lazy to search.
They show a little OOS love, but they definitely favor instate applicants. I can't remember the actual split, but i think its like 75% instate and 25% out of state.

They show a little OOS love, but they definitely favor instate applicants. I can't remember the actual split, but i think its like 75% instate and 25% out of state.
I’ve been told it’s more like 90% instate, 10% out of state. It’s the same for OU since they both receive state funding.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know anything about the clinical rotations at OSU? Are they in hospital settings or community clinics?

Second question, does anyone know if there's a community service requirement for med students here? I couldn't find much info on the website :/

Members don't see this ad :)

It's more like 90/10

Anyone know anything about the clinical rotations at OSU? Are they in hospital settings or community clinics?

Second question, does anyone know if there's a community service requirement for med students here? I couldn't find much info on the website :/

We do not have a community service requirement, but community service is built into the curriculum.

Our rotations are excellent with a mix of community hospitals/clinics and our teaching hospital. Everyone will rotate with residents on a number of rotations generally, and if you want a heavy ward based rotation experience then it is possible to do so. Our clinical education is definitely a huge selling point.

For everyone else, current incoming MS2 and willing to answer questions. I was OOS so can provide additional advice on that as well.

Anyone know when they typically start sending II? Also, what do they look for in an OOS applicant? It is one of my top choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know when they typically start sending II? Also, what do they look for in an OOS applicant? It is one of my top choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally they start interviewing later in like mid October, so don’t expect anything remotely soon.

You need to fit the mission, preferably have some tie to Oklahoma or come from a neighboring state, and have good stats.

You can PM me if you want.

3rd year student that was OOS here. Willing to answer questions

for anyone wondering, here are the secondary q's:

Why do you wish to attend OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine?

What is your most important relationship or who is the most influential person in your life and why?

Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?

300 words/ea

3rd year student that was OOS here. Willing to answer questions
I'm originally from UT, currently live in a different midwestern state, higher mcat for DO but lower science GPA. I don't have robust exposure to rural med but I can make a a case for why I am interested in it (at least I think I can). Should I bother applying with the heavy in state bias?

I'm originally from UT, currently live in a different midwestern state, higher mcat for DO but lower science GPA. I don't have robust exposure to rural med but I can make a a case for why I am interested in it (at least I think I can). Should I bother applying with the heavy in state bias?

Both @AnatomyGrey12 and I are from Utah. DM me with your stats and such and we will discuss

There is a good Utah cohort here. PM @DNC or myself and we’ll help you.

I am from Ohio, but I am very interested in this school. I have family that lives in Arizona and willing to stay out west if accepted. Definitely want to do underserved region medicine. Is it worth applying?

I am from Ohio, but I am very interested in this school. I have family that lives in Arizona and willing to stay out west if accepted. Definitely want to do underserved region medicine. Is it worth applying?

Sure it’s worth applying but what does Family in Arizona have to do with anything? Stats? ECs?

Wondering if I can increase my chances of getting an interview here if I change my current address to the address of my parents' house in OKC. Currently living in Texas. :(

Wondering if I can increase my chances of getting an interview here if I change my current address to the address of my parents' house in OKC. Currently living in Texas. :(

No. Having parents/family in state = strong ties. Do not lie on the application

Probably a question directly for admissions but does anyone know how strict osucom is regarding the LOR requirements? They want three letters of rec from faculty and I only have two. Hope they're flexible!

Probably a question directly for admissions but does anyone know how strict osucom is regarding the LOR requirements? They want three letters of rec from faculty and I only have two. Hope they're flexible!
I would email for clarification, but they were flexible with me. It seemed to depend on the circumstances such as being a non-traditional student. That being said the strict requirement of a letter from a D.O. remains.

I would email for clarification, but they were flexible with me. It seemed to depend on the circumstances such as being a non-traditional student. That being said the strict requirement of a letter from a D.O. remains.
Thank you Prolific Pryda! Nice to hear they were flexible, I emailed admissions and look forward to their response. Are you a student at OSUCOM?

Not currently, but I could be soon if they let me off their waitlist.

I would probably wait until you get accepted before giving admissions advice....

I’m sure there are exceptions to the letter requirement, one should never plan on being the rare exception.

I would probably wait until you get accepted before giving admissions advice....

I’m sure there are exceptions to the letter requirement, one should never plan on being the rare exception.
Wasn't my intention to give admission advice, just sharing my experience with the matter.

Last edited:
Being a nontrad, I couldn't get a committee letter or faculty, but I went a different route and had multiple physician and employer recs. I would highly encourage not having fewer than their requested. Sure, you may be in a situation where a health committee or faculty letter isn't obtainable, but you really need to strive and make up for that deficiency by getting letters that carry similar weight

Not currently, but I could be soon if they let me off their waitlist.

Being a nontrad, I couldn't get a committee letter or faculty, but I went a different route and had multiple physician and employer recs. I would highly encourage not having fewer than their requested. Sure, you may be in a situation where a health committee or faculty letter isn't obtainable, but you really need to strive and make up for that deficiency by getting letters that carry similar weight

I heard back from OSUCOM today...nontraditional applicants who have not taken coursework within the last three years are eligible for the track 3 LOR requirement - which does not require the third non-science faculty letter. Unfortunately for me, I graduated class of 2016. This is likely the end of the road or me, a bit of a bummer - I'm really interested in OSUCOM!

Last edited:
How did some of you answer the "most influential person in your life" question? I'm not having a difficult time choosing someone, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fully answer this essay question. Trying to get near 300 words seems kind of difficult. Does anyone have any advice for how to best write this or at least get started? Thanks!

How did some of you answer the "most influential person in your life" question? I'm not having a difficult time choosing someone, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to fully answer this essay question. Trying to get near 300 words seems kind of difficult. Does anyone have any advice for how to best write this or at least get started? Thanks!

List your person's best qualities. Ask yourself which one of those qualities rubbed off on you. Focus on a memory that best exemplifies that quality. Answer the question. Now is the time to thank that person for everything they did for you. That's what I channeled into my own essay.

Is the third secondary essay "is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?" an optional one? Do most of you answer it? If you do answer it, with what kind of information? I was thinking about turning it into a diversity essay, but I don't want to be redundant with experiences from my primary application. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Wondering if I should toss an app to this school. I am OOS (Illinois resident) with absolutely zero ties to the school, state, and general area (i have step dad and his kids live(d) in Utah, but thats it).

Stats- 512 MCAT (got a 25 in May 2014). 3.54 overall gpa, lower science 3.25 but kost most recent 39 science credits is over 3.8 (includes retakes).

ECs- 300 hours non-clinical volunteering, 130 hours shadowing (100 of a DOFM doc), 3 years clinical work experience, zero research

Others- great LORs, no red flags besides a D and some Cs in science courses, retook four of them all and earned a B+, A, A, A.

This cycle im applying to 24 MD schools and 7 DO schools. I already have interviews at RVU and AZCOM so Im wondering if it would be worth it to toss an app to OSUCOM.

Last edited:
Wondering if I should toss an app to this school. I am OOS (Illinois resident) with absolutely zero ties to the school, state, and general area (i have step dad and his kids live(d) in Utah, but thats it).

Stats- 512 MCAT (got a 25 in May 2014). 3.54 overall gpa, lower science 3.25 but kost most recent 39 science credits is over 3.8 (includes retakes).

ECs- 300 hours non-clinical volunteering, 130 hours shadowing (100 of a FM doc), 3 years clinical work experience, zero research

Others- great LORs, no red flags besides a D and some Cs in science courses, retook four of them all and earned a B+, A, A, A.

This cycle im applying to 24 MD schools and 7 DO schools. I already have interviews at RVU and AZCOM so Im wondering if it would be worth it to toss an app to OSUCOM.

Yes it’s worth it to at least throw your hat in the ring

Yes it’s worth it to at least throw your hat in the ring
Can you comment on the clinical education or at the very least preclinical?

That currently is the biggest draw for me for OSU since its publicly funded by the state. How is OMM also?

That currently is the biggest draw for me for OSU since its publicly funded by the state. How is OMM also?

Preclinical is preclinical.. they give you the foundation to build on for level 1. OMM doesn’t have quite the cult following as some of the other institutions, but they teach it well without consuming a ton of time. Clinical education is great, especially if you are interested in primary care or rural medicine. If you are, they will basically cater to your desired locations (as much as possible) outside of Tulsa and OKC.

A student recently did a very good complete review of the school on the thread “pros and cons of your DO school” just a few days ago. I’d go check that out, it’s in the DO-student section

A student recently did a very good complete review of the school on the thread “pros and cons of your DO school” just a few days ago. I’d go check that out, it’s in the DO-student section
Great thank you.

Personally, did you have other acceptances? If so, why OSU?

My brother is applying here. Does everyone get a secondary? Cause from their email we were reading it, it looks like that's the case?

Great thank you.

Personally, did you have other acceptances? If so, why OSU?

OOS same as AnatomyGrey. Both of us got accepted to a bunch of DO schools. There are only 3-5 ish DO schools IMO that can compete with OSU (especially with the merger coming). Those are MSU, PCOM, TCOM, and possibly a couple others. Highly recommend applying if you have the stats.