2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are curious I had a friend interview late March and was accepted yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those curious, the admitted students FB page has 94 members - a good chunk of those are current students who are in there to give advice, but for what it's worth...

For those curious, the admitted students FB page has 94 members - a good chunk of those are current students who are in there to give advice, but for what it's worth...
Good to know! In looking at past years threads it seems like that is not a great barometer for where they’re at.. so I’m gonna keep hoping and praying something will work out haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know! In looking at past years threads it seems like that is not a great barometer for where they’re at.. so I’m gonna keep hoping and praying something will work out haha.
Omg. I really hope that this is true! I would be devastated. Interviewed in Jan and haven’t heard anything since no hold or anything! I love OHSU so much. Born and raised in oregon I want to come home! Let’s all pray that we hear good news soon

Reactions: 1 users
Where is the best place to live for first years? I have seen several big apartment buildings by the south waterfront but I'm not sure if those are the best deals

Eastside by the MAX makes more sense to me, as a townie. Quick commute, no car, but save a lot of money and not a lot of time on the train.

Eastside by the MAX makes more sense to me, as a townie. Quick commute, no car, but save a lot of money and not a lot of time on the train.
Ditto, that's where I've been tentatively looking at least. Currently in Tigard and cannot justify the hour commute by public transit.

who do you send the letter of intent to? or is there a place to update on the portal?

who do you send the letter of intent to? or is there a place to update on the portal?
Send to [email protected]; note that they very well may not look at it, and the chances of it influencing the AdCom's decision are rather slim (at least that was the impression I got when I called to ask).

Reactions: 2 users
Send to [email protected]; note that they very well may not look at it, and the chances of it influencing the AdCom's decision are rather slim (at least that was the impression I got when I called to ask).
This is the answer I received too. The only reason why I did it was really for peace of mind. It can’t hurt!

I sent mine to that and the interviews one, and they said thank you and they will add it to my file. I agree with you about saying they might not look at it etc.

Finally on hold. I can stop looking at the portal now. Interviewed 1/8. Now I can sit back and wait until April 30th. GL everyone. May your alternate list rank be low.

Finally on hold. I can stop looking at the portal now. Interviewed 1/8. Now I can sit back and wait until April 30th. GL everyone. May your alternate list rank be low.

On hold today too. Interviewed 3/19. Waiting is.

FYI! I was accepted in January through a change in my portal and an email, but never received a phone call. So don't worry if you don't receive a call! Also they change the portal a couple days before the email gets sent as well. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school silent reject?

Nope. They are pretty prompt in updating the portal. They don't always email, though, so portal is the most reliable imo.

Hmm. I still dont have a status update since my interview in January.

Unfortunately that seems to be relatively common for some people. If you check back on last year’s thread it looks like there were a few people in similar situations— I think even someone got put on hold like a week before final decisions. Anecdotally I was rejected last year about 5 weeks after my interview, so it definitely does happen. Hang in there! Only a few more days left of waiting.

I interviewed in September and didn’t get a status update until March. So I wouldn’t worry. They probably haven’t discussed your file yet.

I was literally just thinking this after checking my portal for the 1000th time today
I've started limiting myself to checking only 3x/day.Nobody will get an update after 6pm, right....? This is horrible. Plus my lease ends in May and I hate not being able to seriously look for housing.

I've started limiting myself to checking only 3x/day.Nobody will get an update after 6pm, right....? This is horrible. Plus my lease ends in May and I hate not being able to seriously look for housing.
I'm not sure if they can update the portal at any time during the day or if it only updates once at the beginning of the day - so I've resorted to checking every hour from 9-5 pm. I'm sorry about the housing issue :( I wish the deadline was sometime in February or March so that people have longer than a couple months to figure out where they are living/moving to

I'm not sure if they can update the portal at any time during the day or if it only updates once at the beginning of the day - so I've resorted to checking every hour from 9-5 pm. I'm sorry about the housing issue :( I wish the deadline was sometime in February or March so that people have longer than a couple months to figure out where they are living/moving to
Same, but such is life... :shrug: Worth it if it means I can go here. I at least live in the area so the move isn't too drastic. I can't imagine for anyone moving across the country.

According to last years forum, some people were accepted April 20th. Which would be the equivalent of today this year, anyone heard any good news?

Withdrew my acceptance this morning! So maybe one of you will be hearing good news soon :)

Reactions: 4 users
According to last years forum, some people were accepted April 20th. Which would be the equivalent of today this year, anyone heard any good news?
I would not be at all surprised if this dragged out and a tsunami of decisions came out on April 30th. I just wish we knew some sort of timetable of AdCom meetings (frequency, which days of the week, etc.) so that we don't have to check the portal every ten minutes. Even knowing when the portals are typically updated (e.g., time of day) would be helpful.

Reactions: 5 users
I would not be at all surprised if this dragged out and a tsunami of decisions came out on April 30th. I just wish we knew some sort of timetable of AdCom meetings (frequency, which days of the week, etc.) so that we don't have to check the portal every ten minutes. Even knowing when the portals are typically updated (e.g., time of day) would be helpful.
This. I wish we had any sort of transparency about the process. That's the one thing I liked about DO schools that I interviewed at- they were very up front about when things were happening. I just am so frustrated with the fact that I applied in June, interviewed in September, put on hold in November, and nothing since then. It's so, so, disheartening. I'm starting to lose hope and I just want to have an answer so I can commit to the DO school I was accepted to and move forward.

I thought they said at the interview the committee meets on Thursdays. When I was put on hold it was a Friday, so fits the time frame.

This. I wish we had any sort of transparency about the process. That's the one thing I liked about DO schools that I interviewed at- they were very up front about when things were happening. I just am so frustrated with the fact that I applied in June, interviewed in September, put on hold in November, and nothing since then. It's so, so, disheartening. I'm starting to lose hope and I just want to have an answer so I can commit to the DO school I was accepted to and move forward.
Literally in the same exact situation as you...so hard not being able to just commit somewhere and know where we’ll be at the start of the school year. I feel your pain

So I interviewed at OHSU back on 12/11 and have been on Hold since mid-February. I don't know what to make of my position; whether being on hold says anything about my chances of acceptance. I'm in-state, stats slightly above par, lots of ECs. Pretty sure interviews went well. Trying to remain hopeful, but OHSU is kind of my last chance.

So I interviewed at OHSU back on 12/11 and have been on Hold since mid-February. I don't know what to make of my position; whether being on hold says anything about my chances of acceptance. I'm in-state, stats slightly above par, lots of ECs. Pretty sure interviews went well. Trying to remain hopeful, but OHSU is kind of my last chance.
if you take a look at most of this thread, this is a pretty common situation. being on hold is not a bad place to be- most interviewees end up on hold- and it's hard to know where you stand at this point. I know it sucks! I'm in the same boat.

if you take a look at most of this thread, this is a pretty common situation. being on hold is not a bad place to be- most interviewees end up on hold- and it's hard to know where you stand at this point. I know it sucks! I'm in the same boat.
Yeah, sorry. I feel like a chump saying what everyone else is saying. Got rejected from last alternative to OHSU a day ago and am currently in freakout mode.

Anyways. Best of luck to all.

If anyone is brave enough to call admissions and ask them what their timeline is I will Venmo you 2 dollars

If anyone is brave enough to call admissions and ask them what their timeline is I will Venmo you 2 dollars
I dug through last years thread and it looks like the Friday before April 30th has historically been Ohsu’s deadline! They also mentioned it to be so the year before that. Just in case no body calls :rofl:

Not really a timeline or anything, but I can say they ARE doing things at their own pace, considering that I just got rejected this afternoon. Re-app cycle, here I come +pity+

Not really a timeline or anything, but I can say they ARE doing things at their own pace, considering that I just got rejected this afternoon. Re-app cycle, here I come +pity+

Sorry to hear that! Were you on hold or just post-interview?

I’m sorry man. I was that way last year too. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that! Were you on hold or just post-interview?
Wasn't on hold prior (interviewed mid-March). I can't imagine that people would be put on hold this late into the game; I feel that they should simply be allotting people to A, R, or WL by now.

Is there anyone else that hasn't heard anything yet? I'm talking no hold or anything? Interviewed early March and haven't been placed on hold even.

Is there anyone else that hasn't heard anything yet? I'm talking no hold or anything? Interviewed early March and haven't been placed on hold even.
Me! interviewed mid march and was told 4-6 weeks and today is exactly 6 weeks haha

Same with the 4-6 weeks. I am a reapp and was placed on hold then mid waitlist last year after interviewing in either late March or Early April.

Same with the 4-6 weeks. I am a reapp and was placed on hold then mid waitlist last year after interviewing in either late March or Early April.
Honestly the 4-6 weeks thing is such BS. They said the same thing to me back in December. I would have preferred I they said “we’ll get around to it sometime.” I interviewed at UNR and they said that I would hear back on the 15th of February. I heard back on exactly that day... Rejection, but at least it was prompt.

Me! interviewed mid march and was told 4-6 weeks and today is exactly 6 weeks haha
Me too, and I interviewed since January. I called and they said it no status means they havent looked at our apps yet. Maybe mine got lost :p

Me too, and I interviewed since January. I called and they said it no status means they havent looked at our apps yet. Maybe mine got lost :p

Same. Interviewed jan 15th nothing yet!

It feels so late to have not looked at our files!!!! :(

Really hoping this Friday is the day... I don't think I can take another weekend of not knowing. But since they haven't had a first wave like they had last year I'm fairly skeptical.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if the admissions team does anything over the weekend? Basically I’m just asking if I should frantically check the admissions portal as much as I do any given weekday.

Does anyone know if the admissions team does anything over the weekend? Basically I’m just asking if I should frantically check the admissions portal as much as I do any given weekday.
nope. I usually tell myself that after 6 PM on Friday I won't check until Monday. No use in stressing myself out as much. I feel like the weekdays are way worse because I'm constantly checking just in case- at least there's a bit of a reprieve on the weekends.

I'm sure this has been talked about, but reading the last few posts I want to reiterate what is happening this next week for the few that haven't heard anything from the adcom team yet. 4/30 everyone...everyone, will know whether that are accepted, rejected, or on the waitlist. 5/1 is when people on the waitlist find out where on the waitlist they're ranked. If you look at last years thread there is a spreadsheet showing how many people got off the waitlist the last few years. From what I saw briefly, if you're in the 50 or lower rankings...cross your fingers. If you're not, get that reapplication money ready. It has been a long wait, but next Tuesday and then Wednesday will bring a lot of light to everyone's situation and a lot of peace along with it. Good luck everyone and if you get one, may your waitlist number be very low.

"With roughly 570 interviews conducted over the course of seven months (September to April) and a limited number of placements to offer, the Admissions Committee must put many applicants in the hold pool until they have had a chance to discuss each of their interviewed candidates. The Admissions Committee will be discussing applicants through the beginning of April, which means that you will be notified of a final decision regarding your application no later than April 30, 2019. Applicants put on hold may remain on hold until April 30, when final decisions are made. At that point you will hear a decision of Accept, Alternate, or Refuse. Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision."

Reactions: 3 users