2018-2019 Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post interview Hold. Interviewed 1/4.
Join the club my friend. I've been told that the chance for post hold --> acceptance is quite good so don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Join the club my friend. I've been told that the chance for post hold --> acceptance is quite good so don't lose hope!
Hey, thanks dude or dudette! That is reassuring. I just found this quote from a random thread "And don't get worried if you are placed on a post-interview hold; around 80% of people who interview are placed on hold until April 30th when the bulk of their decisions are made."

Don't know about the accuracy of that statement....

Hey, thanks dude or dudette! That is reassuring. I just found this quote from a random thread "And don't get worried if you are placed on a post-interview hold; around 80% of people who interview are placed on hold until April 30th when the bulk of their decisions are made."

Don't know about the accuracy of that statement....
It’s very accurate! There’s a lot of hope. I’m just anxious because I interviewed in September, was put on hold in November, and won’t know until April. And I have a friend who had a similar issue but then was rejected in April. N=1 but that’s still nerve racking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed late November, placed on hold 02/11. OOS (Oregon heritage), LM 71.

Anyone been offered any scholarships here? I was told they can notify you as late as classes start if you get the funds, so I am curious if anyone has already gotten word?

Thanks!
I am having the same question.

Post interview Hold, interviewed 11/20. I think I'll be withdrawing my application and enrolling at University of Washington -- I can't stand the uncertainty of not knowing where I'll be next year anymore, and UW was my top choice anyway. Best of luck to those waiting for that acceptance!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone interviewed on 1/10 heard anything back yet??

Could someone who has interviewed give me some insight at what time the interview ends? The invite says 530, but I just wanted to confirm that before I buy plane tickets.

Could someone who has interviewed give me some insight at what time the interview ends? The invite says 530, but I just wanted to confirm that before I buy plane tickets.

It seemed variable based on interview time, but I was done by ~3:00

It depends on time your 1-on-1 is scheduled. If you get lucky you can be done by 2 or 3 PM (cannot remember which) if you get unlucky it could be 5:30 PM.

MMIs, financial aid, and a presentation happen at the same time for all candidates, if I remember correctly. Your end time just depends on when your 1:1 interview is. I bet you can call the admissions office and ask them what time your interview day will be done. I did this at a different school and they were really helpful and willing to assist me :)

On hold as of yesterday, OOS but part of a mission group interviewed 1/4/19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other 1/4 applications hear anything? They said 4-6 weeks and today is 6 weeks on the dot.

Any other 1/4 applications hear anything? They said 4-6 weeks and today is 6 weeks on the dot.
1/4 waiting here. I feel you on the 6 weeks but if they don't count the interview day, then the next possible day is Tuesday, Feb 19th.

Anyone else still waiting from II in November?

I interviewed 12/4 and my 4-6 weeks came and went. I emailed at the 6 week mark and was told 4-8 weeks, but that it depends on when your interviewer has time to come to an AdCom meeting to discuss you.

I also remember being told on our interview day we would be discussed by the committee between 1-4 weeks after the interview. I sort of wonder if these 1/4's who are hearing now might have had the same interviewer and just been presented on the early side of that window... Who knows.

Trying to be patient; this wait is brutal.

Last edited:
I'm past 14 weeks and still have no change on my portal. Wondering if it's a silent hold
I have a friend who applied previous cycle and she interviewed in September and then heard nothing until April when she was accepted.

I'm past 14 weeks and still have no change on my portal. Wondering if it's a silent hold

I’m going on 22 weeks with nothing on my portal as well...figuring I’ll hear in April at this point.

I’m going on 22 weeks with nothing on my portal as well...figuring I’ll hear in April at this point.
wow...what do you think could be going on? im wondering why we havent been put on hold if a decision hasn't been made yet

wow...what do you think could be going on? im wondering why we havent been put on hold if a decision hasn't been made yet
I interviewed 10/02 and heard back 1/09. Hope it will give you some info.

Honestly not sure...it could be so many different reasons. I waver between feeling super annoyed and just accepting that there’s really no way to logic the situation and it could be any number of reasons. My guess is they just haven’t discussed us for whatever reason. Just trying to work on having more days with the latter attitude.

For the people that have been updated post interview day.
Did the update come via the admissions portal first or through snail mail/phone call?

Did the update come via the admissions portal first or through snail mail/phone call?
Portal only. I think they only call if you're accepted. That's why I check it approximately 1239892348x a day. :)

Edit: I was updated via portal for my hold status. When I was rejected last year I was also only informed via portal.

Last edited:
I got an email with my acceptance! The portal also changed, but I didn't check it. Got the email the same day the portal was updated though. Email said I might be receiving a follow up phone call to congratulate me, but that hasn't come yet.

I got an email with my acceptance! The portal also changed, but I didn't check it. Got the email the same day the portal was updated though. Email said I might be receiving a follow up phone call to congratulate me, but that hasn't come yet.
Congratulations! When did you interview and then also, when did you get your acceptance?

Portal only. I think they only call if you're accepted. That's why I check it approximately 1239892348x a day. :)

Edit: I was updated via portal for my hold status. When I was rejected last year I was also only informed via portal.
Only 1239892348 x a day? Way to show restraint. You’re a stronger person than I.

Traffic Rules Question: If already admitted to one school can you stay on the waitlist for OHSU after April 30th? Can't find anything about it in the traffic rules. (if I was hypothetically waitlisted after april 30

Traffic Rules Question: If already admitted to one school can you stay on the waitlist for OHSU after April 30th? Can't find anything about it in the traffic rules. (if I was hypothetically waitlisted after april 30
If you are *accepted* to multiple schools, they are asking you to commit to enroll by April 30th and withdraw your other *acceptances*. Yes, you can remain on multiple waitlists after April 30th. You can jump ship to another school after April 30th if your receive an acceptance.

Keep in mind that after April 30th, schools can see if you have committed to another school and they can skip over you on the waitlist OR try to recruit you. We'll see how this plays out!

Reactions: 2 users
If you are *accepted* to multiple schools, they are asking you to commit to enroll by April 30th and withdraw your other *acceptances*. Yes, you can remain on multiple waitlists after April 30th. You can jump ship to another school after April 30th if your receive an acceptance.

Keep in mind that after April 30th, schools can see if you have committed to another school and they can skip over you on the waitlist OR try to recruit you. We'll see how this plays out!

So if I am accepted to one school that is not my number one choice but I indicate "commit to enroll" for that school on April 30th, will it be less likely I will get off the waitlists at other schools that I would prefer to go to?

So if I am accepted to one school that is not my number one choice but I indicate "commit to enroll" for that school on April 30th, will it be less likely I will get off the waitlists at other schools that I would prefer to go to?
You have to ask the schools individually how they are going about this process. It's brand new and we have no data to show trends or personalities yet. Some schools have already sent out a document to accepted students outlining their expectations and their plans regarding *commit to enroll* and waitlists.

Long response short: they can do what they want. Ask them directly what their intentions are this spring.

Can someone reassure me that I’m still in the game if I’m on hold? I’m losing faith here.

Do you guys think there’s any merit to writing a letter of interest? I called admissions and they were like “you can send updates but there’s no guarantee anyone will see it because the adcom is so busy”.

This is truly my #1 school. I would be overjoyed to attend here.

Did you end up writing a letter of interest? Or are you still thinking about it? Considering the option as well...

Can someone reassure me that I’m still in the game if I’m on hold? I’m losing faith here.
I believe the majority of interviewed applicants are put on hold until April so you are still in the game.

Did you end up writing a letter of interest? Or are you still thinking about it? Considering the option as well...
I should. It's been a hectic week at work and I have an interview at a DO school next week so I've been running around for that. Planning to write one next week. I figure it can't hurt.

In theory I know that 66-75% of their class isn't accepted until April but the wait is killing me. Do you guys think it's a good sign that I interviewed so early?

This would be a question for current students of OHSU: The women's sizing for our white coats seems off. They say an XS is sizes 2-6 and a S is sizes 8-10. Is this accurate and I should go based on that? Do they just run big?

This would be a question for current students of OHSU: The women's sizing for our white coats seems off. They say an XS is sizes 2-6 and a S is sizes 8-10. Is this accurate and I should go based on that? Do they just run big?

If they are using just generic white coats, that sizing should be correct. I got a small once and had to go back and get an XS because the small was down below my knees and I felt like that was uncomfortable!

Any 1/8 interviewees hear back yet? This wait is brutal. Just reject me already, I can take.

Got an II for the MD/MPH Combined Degree Program this afternoon!! Pretty stoked, although I'm still debating if I'll attend.

Officially withdrew—already got into my dream school. :happy:
Really hoping one of you takes my spot! Best of luck to you all!!

Reactions: 5 users