2018-2019 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Completely agree. Im around 500 words for both and I tried to extend my thoughts but it just seemed forced. Im sticking to my original shorter essay that is higher in quality.

is it bad that im at around 530 words and i dont think i have much else to say? idk 1000 feels like so much where i could summarize it pretty concisely

Im about 600 words and 500 for both also. I think it is fine. Quality > quantity. I doubt the admissions committee wants to read 1000 word essays for every applicant.

I just don't get how you can write 1000 words and not ramble about something or be too wordy. This word count is the most I have had out of 25 applications to other DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think we have to realize that they’re going to be reading thousands of these, so I kept mine short and sweet lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey anyone have their LOR's marked as incomplete? When I click on LOR's it says they received it though. Is there a lag between them receiving it and them updating the status?

Reactions: 1 user
How long do people typically wait before inquiring about a secondary?
I have been verified for about a week now and Rowan was the first school I had on my AACOMAS list. However, I am still waiting for a secondary. If there is a pre-screen, I am positive I meet at least the minimum GPA/MCAT requirements. Any insight appreciated!

I have been verified for about a week now and Rowan was the first school I had on my AACOMAS list. However, I am still waiting for a secondary. If there is a pre-screen, I am positive I meet at least the minimum GPA/MCAT requirements. Any insight appreciated!

I'm in the same boat, but I may not meet their minimum cGPA requirement if there is one in place. Hopefully they'll send out another wave of them soon.

Hey anyone have their LOR's marked as incomplete? When I click on LOR's it says they received it though. Is there a lag between them receiving it and them updating the status?

Im in the same boat as you. Im gonna call them later today to see what's up.

Awesome! Please let me know what they say :)

"Please allow at least 2 - 3 weeks to verify receipt of the required letters of recommendation and Supplemental Application. Please do not contact the admissions office to inquire about the status of your letters of recommendation. "

I would wait atl east 2 weeks before inquiring. It says this right on the application. I'm in the same situation, but I am assuming this happens often if they put this in the directions for the app.

I finally got the secondary sent to me! I waited for quite awhile before it got sent to me so hopefully you'll get yours soon too!

I got my secondary today. Verified on Tuesday. Going to apply thru the EDP. I’m crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes for this school to accept me as an OOS app.
oooo early decision good luck!!!! im not ballsy enough do that even though this is prob my top choice

hey guys for the optional essay about obstacles, should i discuss my low mcat score or just stick with financial burden or both?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys for the optional essay about obstacles, should i discuss my low mcat score or just stick with financial burden or both?
thanks
a lot of other schools say to not do MCAT so maybe that applies here too ?

For the question about obstacles, I cover a major one in my personal statement. Should I delve into a different one that is pretty bleak or just not bother with the essay? I don’t want to whine & I don’t think I can add anything further to what I mentioned in my PS.

For the secondary essays is around 200 words too short? This 1,000 world limit is really messing with me lol

Anyone else having issues with the link to complete the secondary app? I want to complete today but have been getting a “500 error” since yesterday. Thanks

Anyone else having issues with the link to complete the secondary app? I want to complete today but have been getting a “500 error” since yesterday. Thanks
I'm having the same issue... I tried using Internet Explorer and a different computer, but it still shows "500 error". Could someone post the link they used to access the login page?

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue... I tried using Internet Explorer and a different computer, but it still shows "500 error". Could someone post the link they used to access the login page?
i think its down, im getting the same error too

Any idea how long after the secondary is completed until we hear about an interview?

Can someone post the essay prompts for the secondary? I'm getting the 500 error and can't figure out what they are.

PROMPTS: 3rd is optional, and all have a 1000 word limit

1. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?

2. Explain why you are interested in attending Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine:

3. Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

Note that there are 2 additional prompts if you are interested in the PBL program:
1. why are you interested in PBL (500 words)
2. why do you think you would be a good fit for PBL (500 words)

White Coat was on Sunday and the last cycle officially ended today. They should start reviewing for interviews soon now

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary Submitted: 7/31
File Complete: 7/31, 8 seconds later lol

Is ~around August 12 too late to submit a secondary?

Is ~around August 12 too late to submit a secondary?
It isn't too late, but I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend you get specifically Rowan's app in as soon as possible. what rowan does is that theyll interview for however many seats they have and accept students. once those seats are filled, they will continue to interview and accept students onto what is called a "hold list". this is a high-priority waitlist for the next class, and if you do not get off this list for this year, they will guarantee you a spot in their class the following year. i interviewed last cycle, i finished my secondary late august, was given an interview mid october, but the first interview wasnt until JANUARY. that just shows how popular they are. they finished filling up their class in december which is EARLY, and i interviewed mid january and was placed on the hold list. apparently my cycle's applicants were very competitive and so the hold list was the largest theyve ever had, and there was a large amount of students that are getting carried over to next year aka even less seats for you. so i would really recommned you get it done asap! dont worry you have time! just wanted to give some info

It isn't too late, but I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend you get specifically Rowan's app in as soon as possible. what rowan does is that theyll interview for however many seats they have and accept students. once those seats are filled, they will continue to interview and accept students onto what is called a "hold list". this is a high-priority waitlist for the next class, and if you do not get off this list for this year, they will guarantee you a spot in their class the following year. i interviewed last cycle, i finished my secondary late august, was given an interview mid october, but the first interview wasnt until JANUARY. that just shows how popular they are. they finished filling up their class in december which is EARLY, and i interviewed mid january and was placed on the hold list. apparently my cycle's applicants were very competitive and so the hold list was the largest theyve ever had, and there was a large amount of students that are getting carried over to next year aka even less seats for you. so i would really recommned you get it done asap! dont worry you have time! just wanted to give some info

Ah! Thank you! I'll submit it by end of next week for sure! Are you a current student at RowanSOM?

i agree with this. same boat as real talk. they already have quite a bit of seats filled for next year's class so any interview starting December would probably be for hold list.

Ah! Thank you! I'll submit it by end of next week for sure! Are you a current student at RowanSOM?
no, so i applied last summer as a senior in college (i just graduated college this past may!), i interviewed mid-january but by then they had already filled up their class. i was placed on the hold list, but due to lack of movement, me and a bunch of other people were deferred to joining the class that starts next fall. so get to take the year off before school starts. like i said, my applicant pool was apparently really competitive and there was low movement on the list (this is according to the school lmao not me saying it)