2018-2019 Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else get an email from the office of admissions saying that they are “no longer accepting updates” as of January 17th (today)

+1, think we just got the soft rejection

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get an email from the office of admissions saying that they are “no longer accepting updates” as of January 17th (today)
Has anyone NOT received the email saying they are no longer accepting updates? thanks for feedback

Members don't see this ad :)
Good for you! Bad for us who have not had an interview & received the email-
Whooo knows! This process is a mystery. The other day my sister shared a frequent admissions quote with me that made me feel slightly better. She said, “You might just be a tuba player in a piccolo year” or something like that. Since then I keep telling myself: I’m a tuba, I’m a tuba. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Wondering if there is a facebook group yet? If so could someone share the name? (or make one lol).

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone received any info about financial aid or evaluation of their FAFSA?

Alrighty guys, so I will make the RWJMS fb group. But i need one lovely "volunteer" friend to add to get the group started. If someone wants to send me their name... I can friend you on fb if you want to get the group going. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Alrighty guys, so I will make the RWJMS fb group. But i need one lovely "volunteer" friend to add to get the group started. If someone wants to send me their name... I can friend you on fb if you want to get the group going. :)

Ok. Group is live. "RWJMS Class of 2023". It's a closed group but I will do my best to check the requests every couple hours to add new members.

Getting mixed messages from this thread. RWJ is near top of my list as well. Curious to hear if any RWJ students here had to pick between RWJ and NJMS and why they chose RWJ over it.

There's pros and cons to both. I chose RWJ because I felt more of a sense of camaraderie between the students around here and preferred the location. I think I made the right call for myself; most of the students here are willing to help each other, even on 3rd year rotations where by nature, students will get compared to each other. I've heard that that wasn't the case at NJMS, especially because of the ranking system. However, I think they are no longer ranking students so it might not be as much of an issue. Something to consider is that NJMS ends their curriculum earlier in the 2nd year, allowing for a head start on rotations before career decision time. To be perfectly honest, this didn't make much of a difference for me in the end (I'm a 4th year on the residency interview cycle now), but last year around this time I had a lot of anxiety about not knowing what I wanted to do. Another thing is the grading systems for clerkships are quite different--I don't know the details of NJMS's system but I believe it's a point system that considers both attending evals and shelf exam grade rather than RWJ just taking your lower score -____-. On the interview trail, no one knows the difference between RWJ and NJMS, and the rank lists look pretty similar so you'll be fine with either.

Last edited:
what is the financial aid situation like at RWJ? I was placed on competitive hold and am wondering if 1. there is a lot of movement from this list? 2. if being waitlisted means im out for scholarship consideration?

I can't speak to being waitlisted, but scholarships are few and far between here to begin with.

There's pros and cons to both. I chose RWJ because I felt more of a sense of camaraderie between the students around here and preferred the location. I think I made the right call for myself; most of the students here are willing to help each other, even on 3rd year rotations where by nature, students will get compared to each other. I've heard that that wasn't the case at NJMS, especially because of the ranking system. However, I think they are no longer ranking students so it might not be as much of an issue. Something to consider is that NJMS ends their curriculum earlier in the 2nd year, allowing for a head start on rotations before career decision time. To be perfectly honest, this didn't make much of a difference for me in the end (I'm a 4th year on the residency interview cycle now), but last year around this time I had a lot of anxiety about not knowing what I wanted to do. Another thing is the grading systems for clerkships are quite different--I don't know the details of NJMS's system but I believe it's a point system that considers both attending evals and shelf exam grade rather than RWJ just taking your lower score -____-. On the interview trail, no one knows the difference between RWJ and NJMS, and the rank lists look pretty similar so you'll be fine with either.
Thank you so much for your insight! I also agree that I felt more of a camaraderie at RWJ and am most likely going to choose RWJ. Do you think there will be a change to the point system for clerkships? Is this an issue that has been brought up to faculty, and is there any response?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your insight! I also agree that I felt more of a camaraderie at RWJ and am most likely going to choose RWJ. Do you think there will be a change to the point system for clerkships? Is this an issue that has been brought up to faculty, and is there any response?

To be perfectly honest, I highly doubt there will be significant changes. The system with taking the lower of the two grades as the final grade has been in place for a while no matter how much we complain about it. Someone also mentioned earlier in the thread the details on how the clinical portion is graded, and that unfortunately was implemented right in time for my year, and rumor has it that they changed it because too many people were honoring. This year, they have slightly improved the system--before to honor you had to get all 3's except in one particular category you could get a 2, but now you can get a 2 in any one category and still honor. But this is a TINY change and the issue still remains that for each grading category, attendings have to choose between failing, adequate and attending level amazingness. The worst part of this school IMO is the admin is quick to make decisions that aren't in our favor, and are very slow at making changes to improve things for us (ie parking). Overall, I wouldn't hedge any bets on ANY school changing aspects you don't like and make sure you're ok with the way things are as is. These schools have no incentive to change bc so many people are clamoring to go to med school...we are very replaceable.

When the II will stop going out? anyone recently got an II? crossing my fingers to get one.

When the II will stop going out? anyone recently got an II? crossing my fingers to get one.

I overheard last interview was in early march. Don't give up! Last year I was waitlisted for an interview spot and managed to get one in mid-Feb. Granted I got waitlisted (lol), but you still got a chance

I'm sure this is an annoying question but genuinely curious. Did any accepted students feel as if their MMI didn't go really well (not horrible but not inspiring confidence)? I've done an MMI elsewhere and left with a sense that I did well, whereas here it was super hard to read. Wondering if anyone with similar feelings has been accepted (and yes, I do know that "feeling" it went a certain way doesn't mean much)

I'm sure this is an annoying question but genuinely curious. Did any accepted students feel as if their MMI didn't go really well (not horrible but not inspiring confidence)? I've done an MMI elsewhere and left with a sense that I did well, whereas here it was super hard to read. Wondering if anyone with similar feelings has been accepted (and yes, I do know that "feeling" it went a certain way doesn't mean much)
me! i thought i totally screwed up one station and felt pretty meh about the rest, ended up being ok lol i've learned not to trust my own read on these things

I overheard last interview was in early march. Don't give up! Last year I was waitlisted for an interview spot and managed to get one in mid-Feb. Granted I got waitlisted (lol), but you still got a chance

Can confirm, I'm interviewing here for the last date available in march

Has anyone received financial aid package yet? Or know when they will? This including merit-based/need-based scholarships.

curious is there is a website to check status on? can someone post a link if there is? Thank you!

I just got an interview invite on 2/20.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED via call!! I'm pumped, loved this school.

Reactions: 6 users
Do we know what this means for people who interviewed early Jan but didn't get a call? Is there a chance for an acceptance in March, or does it seem more like a waitlist/rejection?

Do we know what this means for people who interviewed early Jan but didn't get a call? Is there a chance for an acceptance in March, or does it seem more like a waitlist/rejection?
Def a chance for a march acceptance! they just did a few early calls she said

Is it a 732 number? I just got a missed call and I’m about to have a heart attack

FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!!! SO EXCITED!

I missed the call tho and Dr. Terregino left a text! was there any other important info that I should call back for @ other people who got calls/voicemails?

Reactions: 3 users
Sorrry to post in here again so soon, but question for those who have interviewed:
Does the day really follow the projected schedule they emailed out? I'm a breastfeeding mom and need to know if I need to contact them ahead of time to figure out a pumping accommodation or if I can try to make their timing work for me.

Sorrry to post in here again so soon, but question for those who have interviewed:
Does the day really follow the projected schedule they emailed out? I'm a breastfeeding mom and need to know if I need to contact them ahead of time to figure out a pumping accommodation or if I can try to make their timing work for me.
they pretty much stick to schedule

FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!!! SO EXCITED!

I missed the call tho and Dr. Terregino left a text! was there any other important info that I should call back for @ other people who got calls/voicemails?

I got a missed call too. I called back and had a nice lil chat with Dr. Terregino so I'm sure its fine if you wanna call back. Congrats!!

To those who got accepted when did you interview? I interviewed 1/4... anxiously waiting. Really hoping there will be more calls.

To those who got accepted when did you interview? I interviewed 1/4... anxiously waiting. Really hoping there will be more calls.

I interviewed 1/11! I'm sure you're fine. She said only a few calls were made

JUST ACCEPTED!!! interviewed 1/4 and I think I legit blacked out during that phonecall omg I’m in shock

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!! See you soon class of 2023 rwj!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of us accepted today, do you guys know when we can expect emails about next steps?
Also accepted today!!!! Interviewed 1/11, but wondering the same thing! Really hoping to get something in writing today just want to be sure this is real lol

Reactions: 2 users