2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do you send the college transcript electronically or by mail (through national clearing house)? and if by mail, what address did people use? I was waiting to hear back but I might as well send it just in case

I sent both of mine electronically and they were accepted. One was from clearinghouse and the other parchment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was emailing the admissions and they told me the CTE deadline has passed. Did anyone hear about this?!!

Members don't see this ad :)
According to their website, the CTE deadline isnt until July 13th at the latest. July 6th at the earliest.

By earliest i mean earliest deadline. You can CTE anytime

Reactions: 1 user
On the alternate list, and I finally got my email about the checklist today. lol

Did you guys send a copy of your birth certificate for the alternate list?

There's a timeline if you scroll down. It's for this cycle though and idk how strict they're adhering to it. Fingers crossed for all of us wl peeps

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and they said you get the emails if you have something incomplete on your checklist. Mine is proof of citizenship which i sent in but they removed the check from my list for some reason. :/

Is it normal for the white coat form to remain incomplete? I filled out the survey they sent out awhile ago already but it is still unchecked.

Not sure if I get more notifications from this thread or Downstate itself lol

Is it normal for the white coat form to remain incomplete? I filled out the survey they sent out awhile ago already but it is still unchecked.
Mine isn’t checked off yet.. they just finished going through all of them today so we should be receiving the check in 1-2 business days according to admissions.

Did you guys submit blood tests for the vaccines?

They sent my health stuff back saying they want blood tests for the vaccine antibodies. I live in a state where my insurance isn't taken and there was a huge "OR" on the form suggesting that you didn't have to complete the blood tests if you have had the vaccines. I don't want to pay another $200+ out of pocket to see a doctor and get it done

Is the police background check our responsibility to get done? And if so, anyone know if there is a form for that anywhere? I emailed the student health office, and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I called and they told me to please do quantitative for everything
Recently had to CTE at another school, I never did get off the waitlist at Downstate Good luck to everyone So happy this application cycle is finally over :)

Last edited:
Does seem like downstate is wasting a lot of our time completing all of these requirements without offering admissions. Recently had to CTE at another school, never got off the waitlist at Downstate and no I also would not want to be spending any out of pocket money for there requirements without an acceptance offer first. Good luck to everyone Glad this process is finally over :)
They’re combining the two things I’m best at wasting time and wasting money

Anyone know how long it takes to get added to the facebook group or how to speed this up? I sent a join request over a week ago and messaged a few of the admins. Still waiting.

I think it's over now. I held some hope because of the CTE deadline but they haven't accepted anyone in a month. Congratulations to those who got admitted and best of luck to those reapplying.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I've also lost pretty much all hope at this point.

Hey guys, I just got the following email from SUNY this afternoon:

"Dear Applicant,

A review of the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool indicates that you have selected “Plan to Enroll” to another medical school.

Since you do not plan to attend SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, your application will be withdrawn from our active list of accepted students.

We thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center."

However, I never received an acceptance email from them, I was just on their waitlist. Did this mean they had accepted me? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?

"Dear Applicant,

A review of the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool indicates that you have selected “Plan to Enroll” to another medical school.

Since you do not plan to attend SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, your application will be withdrawn from our active list of accepted students.

We thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center."

However, I never received an acceptance email from them, I was just on their waitlist. Did this mean they had accepted me? Has anyone else gotten a similar email?
I received this email as well. I also never received an acceptance email from them

"Dear Applicant,

Also received this email a few weeks ago. Called them and they said all waitlisted applicants who chose PTE for another school received the email and that I should just email back saying I want to stay on the WL. I had also thought I was accepted and didn’t realize haha disappointing :/

Also received this email a few weeks ago. Called them and they said all waitlisted applicants who chose PTE for another school received the email and that I should just email back saying I want to stay on the WL. I had also thought I was accepted and didn’t realize haha disappointing :/
Thanks for the info! Not gonna stay on the WL as I'm already going elsewhere but glad to have some clarity, since SUNY has not given us much of it :lol:

Reactions: 3 users
I never got any of those e-mail but was supposedly on the waitlist...

Has anyone on the alternate list heard of any movement on the waitlist at all? It has been a month since they've accepted anyone.

Has anyone on the alternate list heard of any movement on the waitlist at all? It has been a month since they've accepted anyone.
No but last year people were accepted around July 10th. Maybe we will hear something this week.

Just offered a spot on their bridges program. Not sure what it is since there's no information online about it. Just that it includes a guaranteed acceptance for 2020 if you complete all the requirements

Just offered a spot on their bridges program. Not sure what it is since there's no information online about it. Just that it includes a guaranteed acceptance for 2020 if you complete all the requirements
Usually the bridge program is a masters program where you need to get over a certain gpa

Do you have to apply for the bridges program or did they just offer it to you from your standard medical school application to Downstate?

Do you have to apply for the bridges program or did they just offer it to you from your standard medical school application to Downstate?
They offer it to you. I was rejected off the waitlist and then offered an acceptance to this program. Based on what the program director was telling me, it seems that it is only offered to disadvantaged or URM students whose interviews went really well, but were not offered admissions. They want to eventually convert this program into a full on master's program

I find it really strange nobody has posted an acceptance since the beginning of June.

Yeah it’s definitely different than all previous years when there’s been many postings in June and July! I even called and they said they accept until orientation and didn’t mention anything about this year having less movement

Reactions: 2 users