Aug 16, 2017
Can any current/past students give any advice on living accommodations while attending Downstate? On campus vs. off campus, and if off campus, where you might have had success in terms of low cost and convenience? Thanks in advance!
If you are OOS, gotta live off-campus to qualify for IS tuition, that's that.

IMO, dorms are definitely not "nice" by any stretch of the imagination but it is live able. All the utilities are folded into your rate (including laundry) which is nice, and is SUPER convenient for foundations years (classes are right across the street)
You're gonna have to deal with intermittent hot water and heat, and on occasions too much heat (the heat is still on in the dorms, its 71 and muggy outside), etc. Plus, the dorms are not that cheap (the major con for me, I currently live there, moving out for next year). They are in line with the going rates in the area, a bedroom in a 2bed apt will run you ~1100 a month, a studio ~1500, single room (think college dorm single, no kitchen, or personal bathroom)~750 (I dont remember the actual rates but its around there).

The surrounding area itself can be cheap and convenient, but gentrification is rapidly coming so there are tons of new luxury style buildings going up, driving up local costs. But that being said, new luxury buildings have their problems (often closet sized bedrooms and paper thin walls), but you will end up paying about the going rate of the dorms of a significantly nicer spot maybe 10min walk away, or even cheaper if you find something else prob in a un-renovated unit, or further walk. Use streeteasy, Nooklyn, the FB groups to find spots.

I'd recommend looking to see whats out there, then using the dorms as a fallback. Renting in NYC is an interesting experience, and if you've never lived in NYC before, apartment searching isn't very fun. Likely gonna need a guarantor, and be prepared to have to upfront nearly 3-4 months rent (first months rent (some places want two months upfront), security deposit, brokers fee (if you have to pay one)), and pull triggers fast as someone else is likely to swoop in if you are hesitant.

Mar 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
How do we send proof of NYS residency? I just got an unhelpful email from admissions. Ive live in NYC all my life so Idk how to do this

Jun 3, 2018
How do we send proof of NYS residency? I just got an unhelpful email from admissions. Ive live in NYC all my life so Idk how to do this
they require you to fill out some forms and submit a lot of documentation like tax returns and utility bills and things like that. it's on their website somewhere just google downstate nys residency.

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
2+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Appreciate the housing input @biganthony233 - ended up going with the dorms and plan to move out year 2 once I have a better understanding of the area/Brooklyn. Plus like you said the convenience of being adjacent to the school during the foundations years will be huge (all about saving time). Also seems like you'll be constantly surrounded by support as your room/hallmates will be suffering alongside you lol. Pros and cons for both if you're IS, but glad I got that decision out of the way.

Mar 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
they require you to fill out some forms and submit a lot of documentation like tax returns and utility bills and things like that. it's on their website somewhere just google downstate nys residency.
Thanks. How do it get it notarized. Do you hand it in person to admission?

Jun 3, 2018
Thanks. How do it get it notarized. Do you hand it in person to admission?
You have to go to a notary public. They have a notary in most banks and in the post office I think but you can also just Google it and find one near you. I scanned everything in and emailed it.

Jan 15, 2019
For out of state students-if I want to get in state tuition for my second year, what is the latest that I can move in to an apartment this year?

Feb 20, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you are OOS, gotta live off-campus to qualify for IS tuition, that's that.

IMO, dorms are definitely not "nice" by any stretch of the imagination but it is live able. All the utilities are folded into your rate (including laundry) which is nice, and is SUPER convenient for foundations years (classes are right across the street)
You're gonna have to deal with intermittent hot water and heat, and on occasions too much heat (the heat is still on in the dorms, its 71 and muggy outside), etc. Plus, the dorms are not that cheap (the major con for me, I currently live there, moving out for next year). They are in line with the going rates in the area, a bedroom in a 2bed apt will run you ~1100 a month, a studio ~1500, single room (think college dorm single, no kitchen, or personal bathroom)~750 (I dont remember the actual rates but its around there).

The surrounding area itself can be cheap and convenient, but gentrification is rapidly coming so there are tons of new luxury style buildings going up, driving up local costs. But that being said, new luxury buildings have their problems (often closet sized bedrooms and paper thin walls), but you will end up paying about the going rate of the dorms of a significantly nicer spot maybe 10min walk away, or even cheaper if you find something else prob in a un-renovated unit, or further walk. Use streeteasy, Nooklyn, the FB groups to find spots.

I'd recommend looking to see whats out there, then using the dorms as a fallback. Renting in NYC is an interesting experience, and if you've never lived in NYC before, apartment searching isn't very fun. Likely gonna need a guarantor, and be prepared to have to upfront nearly 3-4 months rent (first months rent (some places want two months upfront), security deposit, brokers fee (if you have to pay one)), and pull triggers fast as someone else is likely to swoop in if you are hesitant.
Thank you so much- this was very helpful! Decided to live in the dorms for now for convenience, but completely see what you are saying and will use this advice in future years!

Dec 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! Since we're on the topic of housing I wanted to ask some of the current students what are the better neighborhoods to get housing in. I'm OOS and know little about New York. I was looking into Crown heights and lefferts gardens but some insight would be very appreciated. Thank you

Reactions: hippocratess
May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
do you send the college transcript electronically or by mail (through national clearing house)? and if by mail, what address did people use? I was waiting to hear back but I might as well send it just in case

May 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I was emailing the admissions and they told me the CTE deadline has passed. Did anyone hear about this?!!

Reactions: Picard159
Apr 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
There's a timeline if you scroll down. It's for this cycle though and idk how strict they're adhering to it. Fingers crossed for all of us wl peeps

Nov 9, 2018
I called and they said you get the emails if you have something incomplete on your checklist. Mine is proof of citizenship which i sent in but they removed the check from my list for some reason. :/

May 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it normal for the white coat form to remain incomplete? I filled out the survey they sent out awhile ago already but it is still unchecked.
Mine isn’t checked off yet.. they just finished going through all of them today so we should be receiving the check in 1-2 business days according to admissions.

Apr 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Did you guys submit blood tests for the vaccines?

They sent my health stuff back saying they want blood tests for the vaccine antibodies. I live in a state where my insurance isn't taken and there was a huge "OR" on the form suggesting that you didn't have to complete the blood tests if you have had the vaccines. I don't want to pay another $200+ out of pocket to see a doctor and get it done

Feb 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is the police background check our responsibility to get done? And if so, anyone know if there is a form for that anywhere? I emailed the student health office, and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Jul 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I called and they told me to please do quantitative for everything
Does seem like downstate is wasting a lot of our time completing all of these requirements without offering admissions. Recently had to CTE at another school, I never did get off the waitlist at Downstate and no I also would not want to be spending any out of pocket money for there requirements without an acceptance offer first. Good luck to everyone So happy this application cycle is finally over :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018
Does seem like downstate is wasting a lot of our time completing all of these requirements without offering admissions. Recently had to CTE at another school, never got off the waitlist at Downstate and no I also would not want to be spending any out of pocket money for there requirements without an acceptance offer first. Good luck to everyone Glad this process is finally over :)
They’re combining the two things I’m best at wasting time and wasting money

Reactions: Pnomnomnom
Jul 8, 2018
Any current Downstate students able to kind of give a rundown on how they think the 1.5 year preclinical is like pros/cons?

Also any current downstate students open to answering any of my other q’s if I pmed them?