2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody get a confirmation from health office after sending the documents in? I sent it last week and haven’t received anything or gotten any checkmark updates.
I got a conformation email

Members don't see this ad.

Did anybody get a confirmation from health office after sending the documents in? I sent it last week and haven’t received anything or gotten any checkmark updates.
I didn't but I think they are working on it.

Are most people planning to live on or off-campus their first year? I’m kind of torn between both options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on living off-campus with some other students as well. I wish there was more activity on the fb page

Reactions: 1 users
I apologize if this has already been asked but anyone know how we are supposed to do the CPR/BLS requirement? Online through the American Heart Association or is there another link they sent out? I clicked around on my portal and the SUNY website but can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

I registered for a class through the AHA online - you can do an online portion followed by an in-person session or do the full classroom option. Once you're done they send you a PDF of a completion certificate (on the same day) and I just emailed that PDF to admissions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I registered for a class through the AHA online - you can do an online portion followed by an in-person session or do the full classroom option. Once you're done they send you a PDF of a completion certificate (on the same day) and I just emailed that PDF to admissions
That's really helpful, thanks so much!

Sorry for asking this dumb question, I am a little paranoid..
Just got the acceptance letter by mail, which comes with that acceptance reply form.
I assume we don't have to fill this out since we did it when we got the email?

I just got an email stating that I selected "No" for Downstate on the Choose your medical school database. I haven't even been accepted off of the waitlist. Downstate is nowhere on my AMCAS selection list. They said if I don't respond saying that I wish to stay on the alternate list within 24 hours, they will remove me off of the list.

I have another school on my AMCAS selected as "Plan to Enroll" (because it's the only one I've been accepted to). Could this be causing a problem somehow?

I just got an email stating that I selected "No" for Downstate on the Choose your medical school database. I haven't even been accepted off of the waitlist. Downstate is nowhere on my AMCAS selection list. They said if I don't respond saying that I wish to stay on the alternate list within 24 hours, they will remove me off of the list.

I have another school on my AMCAS selected as "Plan to Enroll" (because it's the only one I've been accepted to). Could this be causing a problem somehow?
+1. I also received this email today and have another school that I selected "Plan to Enroll" at for the same reason. Did you get any of the checklist emails? I didn't get any of those emails, so I thought I got the silent R after being placed on the alternate list... but I guess not??? Confused.

Yeah, I got it too - just what is this email? First of all, there is no “No” option anywhere. I selected PtE somewhere else because I had to, lol. I have been getting the checklist emails and even completed a few items.

I guess this means nobody read my letter of intent...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1. I also received this email today and have another school that I selected "Plan to Enroll" at for the same reason. Did you get any of the checklist emails? I didn't get any of those emails, so I thought I got the silent R after being placed on the alternate list... but I guess not??? Confused.

Yeah I've been getting the checklist emails. I've even submitted a few items as well .

Are most people planning to live on or off-campus their first year? I’m kind of torn between both options.
I've looked into the off-campus options, and I've decided to go with on-campus housing. It looks like the housing app is due by June 1st, but I'm still undecided about single vs double occupancy for the studio rooms- though I heard singles are very limited?

Yeah, I got it too - just what is this email? First of all, there is no “No” option anywhere. I selected PtE somewhere else because I had to, lol. I have been getting the checklist emails and even completed a few items.

I guess this means nobody read my letter of intent...lol

+ 1 same here, also with other "Plan to enroll"

I hope pressing PTE didn’t hurt us! If you’re still reading this thread, did any of you who got accepted off this WL previously press plan to enroll for another school? And did anyone get the email who didn’t press PTE?

Last edited:
I know it was discussed earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it. Are we responsible for getting the background checks or will Downstate do them?

Did anyone respond to the “no” on the choose your medical school database email and receive a response?

Did anyone respond to the “no” on the choose your medical school database email and receive a response?
I replied to it and received a response from them saying "Thank you for your email and continued interest in SUNY Downstate"

has anyone who selected plan to enroll at different school gotten off the alternate list here? wondering if they're only targeting students who didn't use that new amcas thing

I had selected PTE at another school, got that weird "you selected no" e-mail, and was then accepted several hours later. Keep the faith ya'll!

Reactions: 2 users
Completed my checklist today hopefully it helps me get accepted
Also completed recently, rooting for myself first but definitely for you second LowStatMatt :thumbup:

For anyone else who sent in the medical clearance forms, I submitted and received a confirmation that they were received, but it hasn’t registered on the checklist yet. Think the health stuff will take the most time out of all the items to show up, though I hope there is at least an internal checklist that lets the adcoms know the documents were sent in!

Did your checklist update for your medical clearance?
Nope but i got an email saying they were received. It says to allow 6-8 weeks to complete so idk maybe it just takes them a long time to verify the documents. I sent them about two weeks ago.

i dropped my medical forms off in person last week and was told it could take 5-10 days for it to show on the portal. please accept me downstate

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current/past students give any advice on living accommodations while attending Downstate? On campus vs. off campus, and if off campus, where you might have had success in terms of low cost and convenience? Thanks in advance!

So we need meningitis vaccine within 5 years even if we got it is a kid and had the booster as a teenager?

It's also only effective for 5 years that's probably why

also what's the deal with this BLS course? We have to pay for it? I know it's petty but that's kind of annoying...

Can any current/past students give any advice on living accommodations while attending Downstate? On campus vs. off campus, and if off campus, where you might have had success in terms of low cost and convenience? Thanks in advance!

If you are OOS, gotta live off-campus to qualify for IS tuition, that's that.

IMO, dorms are definitely not "nice" by any stretch of the imagination but it is live able. All the utilities are folded into your rate (including laundry) which is nice, and is SUPER convenient for foundations years (classes are right across the street)
You're gonna have to deal with intermittent hot water and heat, and on occasions too much heat (the heat is still on in the dorms, its 71 and muggy outside), etc. Plus, the dorms are not that cheap (the major con for me, I currently live there, moving out for next year). They are in line with the going rates in the area, a bedroom in a 2bed apt will run you ~1100 a month, a studio ~1500, single room (think college dorm single, no kitchen, or personal bathroom)~750 (I dont remember the actual rates but its around there).

The surrounding area itself can be cheap and convenient, but gentrification is rapidly coming so there are tons of new luxury style buildings going up, driving up local costs. But that being said, new luxury buildings have their problems (often closet sized bedrooms and paper thin walls), but you will end up paying about the going rate of the dorms of a significantly nicer spot maybe 10min walk away, or even cheaper if you find something else prob in a un-renovated unit, or further walk. Use streeteasy, Nooklyn, the FB groups to find spots.

I'd recommend looking to see whats out there, then using the dorms as a fallback. Renting in NYC is an interesting experience, and if you've never lived in NYC before, apartment searching isn't very fun. Likely gonna need a guarantor, and be prepared to have to upfront nearly 3-4 months rent (first months rent (some places want two months upfront), security deposit, brokers fee (if you have to pay one)), and pull triggers fast as someone else is likely to swoop in if you are hesitant.

How do we send proof of NYS residency? I just got an unhelpful email from admissions. Ive live in NYC all my life so Idk how to do this

How do we send proof of NYS residency? I just got an unhelpful email from admissions. Ive live in NYC all my life so Idk how to do this
they require you to fill out some forms and submit a lot of documentation like tax returns and utility bills and things like that. it's on their website somewhere just google downstate nys residency.

So we need meningitis vaccine within 5 years even if we got it is a kid and had the booster as a teenager?
Pretty sure it's 10 years, but would send an email to the student health office to confirm

Appreciate the housing input @biganthony233 - ended up going with the dorms and plan to move out year 2 once I have a better understanding of the area/Brooklyn. Plus like you said the convenience of being adjacent to the school during the foundations years will be huge (all about saving time). Also seems like you'll be constantly surrounded by support as your room/hallmates will be suffering alongside you lol. Pros and cons for both if you're IS, but glad I got that decision out of the way.

they require you to fill out some forms and submit a lot of documentation like tax returns and utility bills and things like that. it's on their website somewhere just google downstate nys residency.
Thanks. How do it get it notarized. Do you hand it in person to admission?

Thanks. How do it get it notarized. Do you hand it in person to admission?
You have to go to a notary public. They have a notary in most banks and in the post office I think but you can also just Google it and find one near you. I scanned everything in and emailed it.

For out of state students-if I want to get in state tuition for my second year, what is the latest that I can move in to an apartment this year?

If you are OOS, gotta live off-campus to qualify for IS tuition, that's that.

IMO, dorms are definitely not "nice" by any stretch of the imagination but it is live able. All the utilities are folded into your rate (including laundry) which is nice, and is SUPER convenient for foundations years (classes are right across the street)
You're gonna have to deal with intermittent hot water and heat, and on occasions too much heat (the heat is still on in the dorms, its 71 and muggy outside), etc. Plus, the dorms are not that cheap (the major con for me, I currently live there, moving out for next year). They are in line with the going rates in the area, a bedroom in a 2bed apt will run you ~1100 a month, a studio ~1500, single room (think college dorm single, no kitchen, or personal bathroom)~750 (I dont remember the actual rates but its around there).

The surrounding area itself can be cheap and convenient, but gentrification is rapidly coming so there are tons of new luxury style buildings going up, driving up local costs. But that being said, new luxury buildings have their problems (often closet sized bedrooms and paper thin walls), but you will end up paying about the going rate of the dorms of a significantly nicer spot maybe 10min walk away, or even cheaper if you find something else prob in a un-renovated unit, or further walk. Use streeteasy, Nooklyn, the FB groups to find spots.

I'd recommend looking to see whats out there, then using the dorms as a fallback. Renting in NYC is an interesting experience, and if you've never lived in NYC before, apartment searching isn't very fun. Likely gonna need a guarantor, and be prepared to have to upfront nearly 3-4 months rent (first months rent (some places want two months upfront), security deposit, brokers fee (if you have to pay one)), and pull triggers fast as someone else is likely to swoop in if you are hesitant.

Thank you so much- this was very helpful! Decided to live in the dorms for now for convenience, but completely see what you are saying and will use this advice in future years!

Hey guys! Since we're on the topic of housing I wanted to ask some of the current students what are the better neighborhoods to get housing in. I'm OOS and know little about New York. I was looking into Crown heights and lefferts gardens but some insight would be very appreciated. Thank you

Two weeks with no new acceptances cannot be good news....

do you send the college transcript electronically or by mail (through national clearing house)? and if by mail, what address did people use? I was waiting to hear back but I might as well send it just in case