Emt2md23

2+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Graduating MS4 here. If anybody is joining downstate and would like to buy any furniture/books/anything, feel free to DM me! Congrats to all accepted students...still fond of downstate after all these years.

pyramids2

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
One thing that worries me about this school is how slow/apathetic the admissions office (and financial aid office) seems. Speaking with them is like pulling teeth. Do any current students have insight on whether or not the rest of the school/administrative staff are like that?

Thanks so much in advance for your insights!

Oct 23, 2018
I sent my final transcript in today (just finished class last week). should I send a separate update with my GPA or assume they will look at the transcript?

pyramids2

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm really curious as to how the waitlist is ranked. If someone with a 520 and ~4.0 is only getting off the waitlist now, it seems that stats aren't really a big factor.
I don't think they are. I don't have those stats at all and got off the waitlist. Hang in there guys!!! I really thought that if the waitlist was ranked I was at the very bottom and that I bombed my interview but here we are. Don't give up hope!

May 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I heard that some schools provide laptops for quizzes etc. Does anyone know if Downstate has this system?

AmyDell

2+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Did anybody get a confirmation from health office after sending the documents in? I sent it last week and haven’t received anything or gotten any checkmark updates.

Reactions: molly41

pyramids2

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I apologize if this has already been asked but anyone know how we are supposed to do the CPR/BLS requirement? Online through the American Heart Association or is there another link they sent out? I clicked around on my portal and the SUNY website but can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I registered for a class through the AHA online - you can do an online portion followed by an in-person session or do the full classroom option. Once you're done they send you a PDF of a completion certificate (on the same day) and I just emailed that PDF to admissions

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Game & Watch

pyramids2

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I registered for a class through the AHA online - you can do an online portion followed by an in-person session or do the full classroom option. Once you're done they send you a PDF of a completion certificate (on the same day) and I just emailed that PDF to admissions
That's really helpful, thanks so much!

Reactions: kritkatbar
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry for asking this dumb question, I am a little paranoid..
Just got the acceptance letter by mail, which comes with that acceptance reply form.
I assume we don't have to fill this out since we did it when we got the email?

Reactions: mycosis
Aug 1, 2018
I just got an email stating that I selected "No" for Downstate on the Choose your medical school database. I haven't even been accepted off of the waitlist. Downstate is nowhere on my AMCAS selection list. They said if I don't respond saying that I wish to stay on the alternate list within 24 hours, they will remove me off of the list.

I have another school on my AMCAS selected as "Plan to Enroll" (because it's the only one I've been accepted to). Could this be causing a problem somehow?

Sep 22, 2018
I just got an email stating that I selected "No" for Downstate on the Choose your medical school database. I haven't even been accepted off of the waitlist. Downstate is nowhere on my AMCAS selection list. They said if I don't respond saying that I wish to stay on the alternate list within 24 hours, they will remove me off of the list.

I have another school on my AMCAS selected as "Plan to Enroll" (because it's the only one I've been accepted to). Could this be causing a problem somehow?
+1. I also received this email today and have another school that I selected "Plan to Enroll" at for the same reason. Did you get any of the checklist emails? I didn't get any of those emails, so I thought I got the silent R after being placed on the alternate list... but I guess not??? Confused.

Aug 1, 2018
+1. I also received this email today and have another school that I selected "Plan to Enroll" at for the same reason. Did you get any of the checklist emails? I didn't get any of those emails, so I thought I got the silent R after being placed on the alternate list... but I guess not??? Confused.
Yeah I've been getting the checklist emails. I've even submitted a few items as well .

Jan 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Are most people planning to live on or off-campus their first year? I’m kind of torn between both options.
I've looked into the off-campus options, and I've decided to go with on-campus housing. It looks like the housing app is due by June 1st, but I'm still undecided about single vs double occupancy for the studio rooms- though I heard singles are very limited?

Reactions: Mr. Game & Watch
Jul 15, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I got it too - just what is this email? First of all, there is no “No” option anywhere. I selected PtE somewhere else because I had to, lol. I have been getting the checklist emails and even completed a few items.

I guess this means nobody read my letter of intent...lol

+ 1 same here, also with other "Plan to enroll"

Sep 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I hope pressing PTE didn’t hurt us! If you’re still reading this thread, did any of you who got accepted off this WL previously press plan to enroll for another school? And did anyone get the email who didn’t press PTE?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018
I know it was discussed earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it. Are we responsible for getting the background checks or will Downstate do them?

MilaKunis

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone respond to the “no” on the choose your medical school database email and receive a response?

Dec 18, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
has anyone who selected plan to enroll at different school gotten off the alternate list here? wondering if they're only targeting students who didn't use that new amcas thing

gwb2567

2+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2016
Completed my checklist today hopefully it helps me get accepted
Also completed recently, rooting for myself first but definitely for you second LowStatMatt :thumbup:

For anyone else who sent in the medical clearance forms, I submitted and received a confirmation that they were received, but it hasn’t registered on the checklist yet. Think the health stuff will take the most time out of all the items to show up, though I hope there is at least an internal checklist that lets the adcoms know the documents were sent in!