2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just saw on AACOMAS that Touro-NY will start reviewing applications after August 20th.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw on AACOMAS that Touro-NY will start reviewing applications after August 20th.

does this include secondaries as well? Wondering when we may get a secondary update

Anyone know what the essay prompt was last year, if there was one?

Anyone know what the essay prompt was last year, if there was one?

I saw this on another thread:

"On a separate word document, please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine: Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing Experience?"

Not sure if there's a word count limit, but hope this helps!

Email from NY Touro today basically saying that they still exist and will look at my app in late August.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly I do not mind getting their secondary late. I am not looking forward to spend $200 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary for this school! Finally haha idk if I'll fill it out though, you have to print and scan forms and email them in :/

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any thoughts/information on the Harlem vs Middletown campus? From the looks of it, you can't apply to both without filling out a second secondary application, but I can't find much information about the two campuses from their website. Pretty much just that Harlem is the main urban campus, while Middletown is the newer, rural branch. (And apparently they have about 135 students each)

Does anyone have any thoughts/information on the Harlem vs Middletown campus? From the looks of it, you can't apply to both without filling out a second secondary application, but I can't find much information about the two campuses from their website. Pretty much just that Harlem is the main urban campus, while Middletown is the newer, rural branch. (And apparently they have about 135 students each)
It does give the option of "No preference" on the secondary app. So I believe you are able to be considered for both without submitting another secondary? . You will only have to submit another secondary if applying to the Cali/Nevada Campuses I believe.

It does give the option of "No preference" on the secondary app. So I believe you are able to be considered for both without submitting another secondary? . You will only have to submit another secondary if applying to the Cali/Nevada Campuses I believe.

I believe you are correct and I suspect that is why this app costs $200 since we are paying for two schools.

I believe you are correct and I suspect that is why this app costs $200 since we are paying for two schools.
200 $ for a secondary app. What has this world come to.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone on applying to Touro. I have decided not to spend the $200 (mainly because I have been accepted somewhere else). (PS: Middletown is a great campus. Highly recommend that over Harlem).

Reactions: 6 users
On the personal statement word document, it says "Please limit the length of this Personal Statement to the space available on this page."

-Does that mean we keep our answer at that font and formating (i.e. single spaced)
-Do we delete the question and instructions and type our answer, or do we have to keep that pasted in there. I want to make sure i do it correctly so I know how long my answer can be.

Thank you

That might make sense...but it’s not like you apply, get rejected from one campus and remain in the running for the other.

I’d really like to hear someone justify a $200 secondary fee.

Good luck everyone on applying to Touro. I have decided not to spend the $200 (mainly because I have been accepted somewhere else). (PS: Middletown is a great campus. Highly recommend that over Harlem).
Just curious how you saying you’re not applying / already been accepted to another school helps this thread...but whatever floats your gloat boat! ‍

Just curious how you saying you’re not applying / already been accepted to another school helps this thread...but whatever floats your gloat boat! ‍

Not sure how you calling him out helps it either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if there is an in state preference? (at any of the campuses?)

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.53.23 AM.png
Does anyone know if there is an in state preference? (at any of the campuses?)

I mustered up the $200 secondary fee and submitted last night.

They told me today that my application is hold because I'm missing a pre-req. I thought acceptance wasn't dependent on pre-reqs, as long as you have it done before matriculation?

I mustered up the $200 secondary fee and submitted last night.

They told me today that my application is hold because I'm missing a pre-req. I thought acceptance wasn't dependent on pre-reqs, as long as you have it done before matriculation?

I got a similar email regarding an english pre req but it states that my application will still be considered for an interview- the pre req only needs to completed by time of matriculation. Interesting because I am pretty sure that I designated the courses that fulfilled this pre req already. I will email them.

On the personal statement word document, it says "Please limit the length of this Personal Statement to the space available on this page."

-Does that mean we keep our answer at that font and formating (i.e. single spaced)
-Do we delete the question and instructions and type our answer, or do we have to keep that pasted in there. I want to make sure i do it correctly so I know how long my answer can be.

Thank you

I am also unsure about this. I emailed admissions hoping to get an answer but they have yet to respond. If any one knows, please help us out!

Thank you!

Decided not to submit the secondary because the $200 fee was just way to much to justify. Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys, could any of you tell me where you found the Personal statement tab?

Hi guys, could any of you tell me where you found the Personal statement tab?
It pops up after you get through filling out your profile info maybe 2-3 pages into the secondary app.

Prompt:

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few of the following areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment and how did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school?

It pops up after you get through filling out your profile info maybe 2-3 pages into the secondary app.

Prompt:

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few of the following areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment and how did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school?
Thank you so much :)

Lol sent in my app last week and just got a hold email because they said that none of my courses satisfy Behavioral Science, even though I have a bunch of classes that I would consider sociology. Not interested in fighting them on it and not interested in taking any more classes this cycle. Oh well, hope they use my $200 to go toward a scholarship for one of you.

Any averages on how long after submitting until you hear about interviews? Do they do them just on a rolling basis?

Submitted my secondary to Harlem-only preference. The wait begins :/

Any averages on how long after submitting until you hear about interviews? Do they do them just on a rolling basis?
In the confirmation e-mail they said "TouroCOM-NY will begin inviting applicants for interviews in mid-September."

Reactions: 2 users
Lol sent in my app last week and just got a hold email because they said that none of my courses satisfy Behavioral Science, even though I have a bunch of classes that I would consider sociology. Not interested in fighting them on it and not interested in taking any more classes this cycle. Oh well, hope they use my $200 to go toward a scholarship for one of you.

Hate to see you lose $200. I emailed the admissions office questioning if one of my classes fulfilled their requirements (english). They said to just contact my university's registrar to send a letter confirming that they classify it as satisfactory and it would be allowed. You could probably do this for your own university and the behavioral science classes.

Hey guys, I am a little confused on the instructions for submitted the "supplemental form" (where you choose your campus preference.) Do we fill it out electronically and submit it, or do we print it, fill it out, and scan it back?

In the instructions in the email it states, "Save this form to your desktop, complete the form, print and scan it." So I am unsure of which to do. Please let me know what you guys did for those who submitted it. Thank you!

Hey guys, I am a little confused on the instructions for submitted the "supplemental form" (where you choose your campus preference.) Do we fill it out electronically and submit it, or do we print it, fill it out, and scan it back?

In the instructions in the email it states, "Save this form to your desktop, complete the form, print and scan it." So I am unsure of which to do. Please let me know what you guys did for those who submitted it. Thank you!

You only email the essay portion, you can just fill it out online on a word document and email it as a pdf.

You do not need to email them the entire supplemental application that you submitted.

You only email the essay portion, you can just fill it out online on a word document and email it as a pdf.

You do not need to email them the entire supplemental application that you submitted.

Oh no, I meant the "Campus preference" form. When I downloaded the supplemental application form, it was two pages. One with the campus preference form and the second page was the personal statement. So do submit both pages by email as a PDF or scan it?

For the section under "Post-Secondary Academic Record," are you guys actually uploading a resume? It says it's optional for undergraduate applicants, which makes me think we are supposed to upload one. It just seems strange to upload a resume, I already have everything on my resume plus much more on my AACOMAS app.

For the section under "Post-Secondary Academic Record," are you guys actually uploading a resume? It says it's optional for undergraduate applicants, which makes me think we are supposed to upload one. It just seems strange to upload a resume, I already have everything on my resume plus much more on my AACOMAS app.

Yes, I uploaded one because it says it is optional for undergraduate applicants so I assumed it is required. I also had one prepared because CCOM also required a resume. From what I heard, (not sure how true this is), some schools base their interviews off your resume because they do not have your primary application with them.

Oh no, I meant the "Campus preference" form. When I downloaded the supplemental application form, it was two pages. One with the campus preference form and the second page was the personal statement. So do submit both pages by email as a PDF or scan it?

Both pages.

Do you guys happen to know if they accept fee waivers for the supplemental fee?

So do we need to have the immunizations record sheet filled out before we can submit the secondary? I am away from my primary care physician at the moment and it will take sometime for me to contact them.

So do we need to have the immunizations record sheet filled out before we can submit the secondary? I am away from my primary care physician at the moment and it will take sometime for me to contact them.

Immunizations are not needed for now.