2018-2019 Touro University (Vallejo, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grrr I don't want to go to your open house, I want to interview!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else have any issues obtaining quantitative immunizations? I contacted student health services and it seems like they're not strict with the 60 day policy
I just took all of the forms we have to turn in to my primary care doctor and she was able to order all the tests and fill out whatever she needed to. I don’t think the 60 days is an actual requirement since you will need more than 60 days to probably redo vaccinations if you end up needing them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took all of the forms we have to turn in to my primary care doctor and she was able to order all the tests and fill out whatever she needed to. I don’t think the 60 days is an actual requirement since you will need more than 60 days to probably redo vaccinations if you end up needing them.
Thanks! It's just my irrational fears of losing an acceptance...

Does anyone have a detailed list of Touro-CA's 2018 match list? can't find one online.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview on 2/19. Anyone with the same date?

Hoping to share a lyft/uber ride if possible. It will be my first time traveling so I want to keep it safe!

And hopefully, they have a storage place in the school for me to leave my luggage, instead of booking 2 days for my Airbnb

Do you guys think I have a fighting chance even though I’m interviewing late and am OOS? Does anyone know their post II acceptance rate?

Hi guys, I was supposed to hear about Touro's decision today but haven't heard anything yet, what time did most of you receive your emails?

Hi guys, I was supposed to hear about Touro's decision today but haven't heard anything yet, what time did most of you receive your emails?
Same here. I haven’t heard anything either. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I have a fighting chance even though I’m interviewing late and am OOS? Does anyone know their post II acceptance rate?
From what they've said they don't disadvantage OOS at all (I'm technically OOS but originally from CA) its just that more CA students apply and matriculate. Also, because their academic calendar incorporates Jewish holidays (many of which are in September/October) their admissions schedule is a little delayed compared to most schools so you definitely have a shot! Sorry I'm no help on the post-II acceptance rate

any interview tips anyone can pass on? I'm OOS so I feel like the odds are slightly against me. Any advice is appreciated!
Know that it's a group interview (with 3-4 other applicants and several interviewers) and know your whole application really well! Also I just responded to someone else but in case you don't see they say they aren't biased against OOS at all

There is a spreadsheet floating around on reddit with the post II acceptance rates. I'm pretty sure it was around 50% for Touro CA

Wrote to admissions this morning to withdraw my acceptance. I just wanted to say that the whole interview experience here was wonderful and I really loved meeting the applicants--best of luck to everyone in this process :)

Wanted to share my personal experience with Touro. I've been emailing back/forth with one of the higher-up academic administrators asking questions about the school, getting in contact with current students. He's been very responsive and transparent. Asked a question about match rate, and he took time to personally call me and talk for 30-40 minutes about how match works and their match.

It did leave a strong impression on me, that he'd take a lot of time to talk with me, considering I didn't disclose whether/not I'd decided on going to TUCOM. Feel free to PM me if you want to know about the match.

Some D.O schools require that you find your own rotations- does anyone know if TUCOM is like that?

Submitted my secondary and was complete 12/2 but haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal? Is it ever acceptable to contact them to inquire about your status before an interview invite?

do any of the current students have tips for how incoming students should go about finding housing :)

do any of the current students have tips for how incoming students should go about finding housing :)
Housing and Rentals - Touro California Student Life

Here's the link to where many students find housing either on Mare Island or in the surrounding neighborhoods. It'll probably be sent to you in a few months anyways, but you can take a look at it now. I imagine there will probably be more options once the semester ends and students vacate their spots.

Hi guys I’m new to the NorCal area and was looking for some advice on where to live. I’m debating on living on the island, Benicia or Berkeley but I’m not sure about how many tucom students actually live there and I would like to room with fellow students. My issue with living on the island is the limited stores and shops nearby. If u don’t mind sharing your experience I’d really appreciate it

Hi guys I’m new to the NorCal area and was looking for some advice on where to live. I’m debating on living on the island, Benicia or Berkeley but I’m not sure about how many tucom students actually live there and I would like to room with fellow students. My issue with living on the island is the limited stores and shops nearby. If u don’t mind sharing your experience I’d really appreciate it

Majority of students live on the island. The lack of stores is an issue, but if you live far away, you'll be commuting in every day. TU student life is the best place to look for housing.

I have upcoming interview. My first interview. So, those who already attended, if you don't mind sharing:
  1. How any total applicants in your interview batch. Do they all sit in one room or grouped ?
  2. How is the format like ? I read 3-4 applicants per interview
  3. How long is the interview process ? I am planning to fly back home same day. Worth seeing anything around for a day or two ?
  4. Is there a college tour at end of the interview ?
  5. Do I need to bring anything with me ?
  6. I read that the college is away on an island, what would be an ideal location to stay ?

Last edited:
I have upcoming interview. My first interview. So, those who already attended, if you don't mind sharing:
  1. How any total applicants in your interview batch. Do they all sit in one room or grouped ?
  2. How is the format like ? I read 3-4 applicants per interview
  3. How long is the interview process ? I am planning to fly back home same day. Worth seeing anything around for a day or two ?
  4. Is there a college tour at end of the interview ?
  5. Do I need to bring anything with me ?
  6. I read that the college is away on an island, what would be an ideal location to stay ?
  1. 8 people in my interview group, everyone stayed together until the interview which was divided into 5 and 3 for the group/panel interview
  2. See above
  3. Day ends at ~2pm but they give you an option to leave earlier around 12-1. There isn't too much to see in Vallejo but SF and East Bay is really close by and worth seeing.
  4. Prior to interview
  5. No
  6. I stayed at an AirBnB in Vallejo, it was fine/nice. The AirBnB offerings on the island were expensive, same with hotels (when compared to the ~30 I paid for the night)

Some D.O schools require that you find your own rotations- does anyone know if TUCOM is like that?
For 3rd year you're placed in a core site and everything is set up for you other than electives. For 4th year you set up everything on your own. This is common at most DO schools since we don't have our own affiliated hospital. Setting up 4th year isn't that hard as long as you do it in a timely manner. That being said I've had rotations that I've set up within 2 weeks. It just depends on your flexibility to live in a certain geographic site for 4 weeks or not. If you're married or have a SO it might be harder to move around every 4 weeks but if you're a single student its pretty easy.

When does Touro interview until? April? May?

While I’m waiting anxiously for my decision today, I realized I didn’t give a chance to share my thoughts from my interview. I attended my interview in late February.

Overall it was a positive experience. It was a small interview group, I think it ended up being 10 people? The morning was very information focused, there were 4-5 people talking about various things without any power points so it did get a little boring. I can see how the dean’s presentation could be polarizing but I really appreciated how up front and straightforward he was. It was very much no BS, and that’s really a relief when my other interviews have erred on the side of “omg this school is amazing and there’s no issues whatsoever!” He briefly addressed the merger and also taking the USMLE, which is also nice because they totally brushed that aside at my other DO interview.

Board scores and match rates seem to be perfectly fine if not above average for DO schools. They did not have a specific match rate but there’s a list on this thread that shows where and what students matched into. Plenty of allopathic matches. A few bigger names including the UCSF Fresno and UC Irvine. Clearly students are not having a hard time matching into more academic/established programs which is reassuring. About 50% match into primary care which is pretty par for the course for DO.

We did not have a student run tour since we were there on a test day, which was probably the biggest bummer of all. I had almost no student interaction my entire day. I had the student interviewer and that was it. I really wished I had the chance to talk to them and get a feel for how they liked the school.

Honestly, the group interview was weird. I’m 2 weeks out and I still don’t know how I did or how I feel about it. I thought it would have been at least slightly more interactive but it was basically each of us answering questions on our own. We each had a unique individual question, and then all of us answered 2 of the same questions. It was kinda nice to see everyone flub up sometimes because you worry that you aren’t making any sense. Couldn’t get a good read on any of the interviewers. One was a little brusque, one was very nice, and one was pretty neutral.

Lunch was pretty good for a med school. We got to talk to an OMM physician who loved what they did. It was cool to see her so happy- iirc she was from a well regarded peds clinic but came to Touro because it was a good fit for her. She was super nice.

School is expensive there. CoL is significantly lower than SF or Berkeley. You’re gonna wanna live in Vallejo or Benicia. You’ll also want to have a roommate. Honestly it is also pretty par for the course for private school. Some people get freaked out but it’s just the name of the game.

Re: the campus- I kinda liked it. It has a bunch of other professional programs. It looks cool. Mare island itself is well kept. Anatomy lab is nice.

I thought it was a positive experience. I would be happy to go there.

While writing my interview thoughts... I WAS ACCEPTED!!! Holy farts I’m gonna be a doctor!! First A of the season and while I’m still holding out for my state school I’m just so excited that this app cycle panned out. :yawn:

Got put on high alternate waitlist. Kinda bummed since I thought I had a really good shot at getting in. Anyone know how many people get pulled from waitlist and when the movement usually takes place?

OMG WTF!!!! I can’t believe I was accepted!!! After a long cycle or rejections and waitlists I am so happy Touro wants me!!! I can’t express how excited I am and hope to see you guys this coming fall!

Reactions: 3 users
OMG WTF!!!! I can’t believe I was accepted!!! After a long cycle or rejections and waitlists I am so happy Touro wants me!!! I can’t express how excited I am and hope to see you guys this coming fall!

Edit: interviewed march 4

Got put on high alternate waitlist. Kinda bummed since I thought I had a really good shot at getting in. Anyone know how many people get pulled from waitlist and when the movement usually takes place?
I heard that they pull a lot of students from the waitlist so you probably have a really good chance!

If it's worth anything, yes they do pull from the waitlist alot, and so if you are on the high waitlist, I would say you have a VERY good chance of getting off of it. I don't know the specific numbers, but there is usually a lot of movement starting in April/May when people pay for their deposit. So don't lose hope!

Hello all, I am a Latino student currently attending Touro. If anyone has questions about the school (that hasn't already been answered)/would like another perspective, feel free to pm me. I am especially interested in talking with any URM (underrepresented minority) students who are either waiting to hear about an II, interviewing soon, or on the fence about attending Touro. I would also love to speak to anyone about the diversity, community, and social justice advocacy efforts that are occurring on campus. Feel free to reach out to me.

While writing my interview thoughts... I WAS ACCEPTED!!! Holy farts I’m gonna be a doctor!! First A of the season and while I’m still holding out for my state school I’m just so excited that this app cycle panned out. :yawn:

Hi hopefuldoc 511, CONGRATS!!!! Doesn’t it feel amazing?!

Also, I would like to PM u but I couldn’t.

Is anyone looking for a place stay? I found this place with 5 bedrooms in Vallejo, but the landlord prefers to rent to groups so I'm trying to get a group together.

So I'm trying to get some more info on the school and it seems like a big complaint is the rotation sites. Anyone have an opinion on this?

So I'm trying to get some more info on the school and it seems like a big complaint is the rotation sites. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Maybe I’m misinformed, but honestly this seems to be a very very common complaint at most mid tier schools, or at the very least very common amongst DO schools. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you set up most of your 4th year rotations, which means those can be all up to you networking and selling yourself.

The quality of rotations has improved greatly over the last 5 years. The majority of rotation sites have at least 1 ACGME accredited residency program, and many have more. If you are willing to relocate, it is unlikely that you will not have quality opportunities. If you are insistent on staying in the bay area or close to campus, then you may have more issues.

Reactions: 1 users
facebook group for the class of 2023 is up according to an email sent from touro!

Reactions: 1 users