2018-2019 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MD/PhD interviews: 18

This must be so hard for you...

But I called and they aren't, unfortunately.

ty for the info. I didn't mean my post to come off that way, just being honest. I have no reason at all to complain about the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MD/PhD interviews: 18

This must be so hard for you...

But I called and they aren't, unfortunately.

Did you ask about ITA, LOI or both?

I'm wondering if an LOI is smart post interview or if I should wait for a decision.

When I interviewed in early September, Dean Wofsy said that we would probably hear back in December. Has anybody interviewed recently that has an updated timeline on acceptances? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed in early September, Dean Wofsy said that we would probably hear back in December. Has anybody interviewed recently that has an updated timeline on acceptances? Thanks :)

They said the same thing for my interview date which was early mid October.

They said the same thing for my interview date which was early mid October.

Interviewed in early Oct, he told us we would hear back on Dec 15

Anyone else not get a secondary yet? Or has anyone gotten rejected pre-secondary? My primary was verified mid August.

anyone submit a secondary end of July and still not hear back? Is this a silent R?

Anyone else not get a secondary yet? Or has anyone gotten rejected pre-secondary? My primary was verified mid August.
I was verified late September and haven’t received a secondary. I am planning to email if I don’t hear anything by end of this week.

Same, verified mid August as well and complete silence so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
First R :/ complete 8/6. LM 83. Hopefully many more ii for you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Received secondary! IS, verified mid August.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received, verified mid august as well. LM ~ 69 URM OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
+1, just received secondary after primary was verified in August, OOS

MSTP applicant here... I got my secondary last night... I don't understand why they sent it so late in the cycle? Is there any hope in submitting it??

Edit: verified in late August

MSTP applicant here... I got my secondary last night... I don't understand why so late in the cycle? Is there any hope in submitting it??

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile
If they sent it to you it’s becayse they’re interested. If you still are as well, send it in

If they sent it to you it’s becayse they’re interested. If you still are as well, send it in
Hey Lucca! I'm a long time lurker, congrats on your cycle!!

Do you know if it is like, general interest, or are they very targeted in who they give secondary invites to? I mean, considering the small number of MSTP interviews given each cycle, they have to have filled their spots up by now, right?

Do you know if it is like, general interest, or are they very targeted in who they give secondary invites to? I mean, considering the small number of MSTP interviews given each cycle, they have to have filled their spots up by now, right?

I mean I have no way of knowing how many interview slots are left but I do know that UCSF are very deliberate with their secondary invites, so it’s still significant to get one.

I received a secondary for mstp recently as well, but I was complete in October. When I checked on their website they listed the following stats
AMCAS applications indicating MSTP: 605
Secondary applications: 522
Interviewed: 50
Matriculated: 11

I will probably still fill out and submit by the December 1st deadline and hold out some hope, but it seems as though a large chunk of mstp applicants gets a secondary compared to MD only.

I received a secondary for mstp recently as well, but I was complete in October. When I checked on their website they listed the following stats

I will probably still fill out and submit by the December 1st deadline and hold out some hope, but it seems as though a large chunk of mstp applicants gets a secondary compared to MD only.

Ouufff. So, probably not great news that we got it so late then? It's just so strange to receive an invitation to apply 4 days before it's due! I don't know what to make of it. Probably will fill it out and send it anyway, but I feel like I am setting myself up for disappointment.

Oh and thanks for sharing the info!

is getting the secondary now because verified mi-august put you at a disadvantage?

is getting the secondary now because verified mi-august put you at a disadvantage?
Yes, because interviews have already started. The earlier you submit, the better your chance is to get an interview. They likely have filled most, if not all, of their interview spots. They're probably only looking for one or two more people (if any) at this point.

Yes, because interviews have already started. The earlier you submit, the better your chance is to get an interview. They likely have filled most, if not all, of their interview spots. They're probably only looking for one or two more people (if any) at this point.

great. absoultely great. this app cycle is going amazing.

I found the following graph pretty helpful. There aren't that many people who report getting interview invites in December. However, there probably aren't that many people getting secondaries, so it could be proportional.

True, although I haven't heard back from most of my schools yet (granted I applied to a million). I think they hold on to most applications until the end and send interview invites as they continue to evaluate old and new applications that come in. Chin up though! I've been getting some of my interviews two weeks before the interview date and there are plenty of interviews from here until Feb. I'm still crossing my fingers for a couple more. Submitting a secondary this late sounds like masochism to me, but I'm going to do it anyway :(

Where did you get these stats and are there stats on how many secondaries for MD are sent out?

Where did you get these stats and are there stats on how many secondaries for MD are sent out?

They are from their website.

MD PhD:
mstp.ucsf.edu/statistics

MD only:
meded.ucsf.edu/md-program/prospective-students/admissions-md-program/how-apply/successful-applicant-profile

I cant post links yet, but thats everything except the https://

Last edited:

Yup exactly what SlythenClaw said. Those stats are only for MD/PhD applicants. I have no idea about the other programs. I have seen some numbers thrown around like ~7000 apps ~2500 secondaries and ~ 500 interviews, but these numbers are essentially RUMORS with NO proof.

Yup exactly what SlythenClaw said. Those stats are only for MD/PhD applicants. I have no idea about the other programs. I have seen some numbers thrown around like ~7000 apps ~2500 secondaries and ~ 500 interviews, but these numbers are essentially RUMORS with NO proof.
The second "link" was for the MD stats :)

Hi everyone! Has anyone who submitted their secondary over 12 weeks ago reached out to the admissions committee? The portal says that the review process for a potential interview should take up to 12 weeks. I'm at about 12.5 weeks now and still haven't heard anything so I'm considering emailing them, but I also don't want to seem impatient...

Does anyone know when UCSF ends their interview season this cycle? I couldn't really find clear information on their website.

Has anyone who interviewed for JMP heard back yet? Interviewed early and it's recently passed the 3-4 week mark they told us we'd hear back by.

Has anyone who interviewed for JMP heard back yet? Interviewed early and it's recently passed the 3-4 week mark they told us we'd hear back by.
+1, interviewed 10/24 and haven’t heard anything yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my secondary as well. Is it worth to still submit it at this point? I am oos by the way.
I am in-state. I will most certainly submit. I think they do a thoughtful review and wouldn’t waste our time or theirs if there was no chance. I am getting this done ASAP tho!

Reactions: 2 users
Pre II R yesterday, was complete late August. It's FINE, I am FINE (jk it was a really nice rejection letter and I didn't have much of a chance here anyway)

I'm a student here, maybe I can help answer some of these questions.

Hi everyone! Has anyone who submitted their secondary over 12 weeks ago reached out to the admissions committee? The portal says that the review process for a potential interview should take up to 12 weeks. I'm at about 12.5 weeks now and still haven't heard anything so I'm considering emailing them, but I also don't want to seem impatient...
They can be a bit slower to process everyone, last I heard they're still catching up. I'm sure they haven't forgotten you.

Does anyone know when UCSF ends their interview season this cycle? I couldn't really find clear information on their website.
Beginning of Feb at the latest

Good luck y'all, love this place.

II on 11/30!!!! IS. ORM. LM 72. Complete 9/19. Over the moon right now!

Edit: Applied for MD/SJV-PRIME. Anyone know if SJV-PRIME have separate interviews after regular MD? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users