2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I need to update my grad transcript with Iowa. Can we do this through AMCAS or do I need to email them?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I need to update my grad transcript with Iowa. Can we do this through AMCAS or do I need to email them?
If you already submitted your app, then email UI. If not, AMCAS

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I'll email them. I had it submitted awhile ago and still waiting for secondary

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I'll email them. I had it submitted awhile ago and still waiting for secondary

I got their 2nd just last week even though I was verified on 07/01

OOS. I forgot i added UI 3 weeks ago and received their 2nd last week
Nice. I know a few other IS applicants that haven't heard anything yet. I wonder if they send those after they send the most qualified OOS candidates a secondary? Who knows.

Don’t worry too much about secondary timing if you are IS. I got my Iowa secondary later than most of the other schools I applied to. It was also one of my last interviews. I was accepted and starting in a few weeks. IS applicants are almost gaurnteed an interview as long as you meet the minimum MCAT and GPA. Good luck!
Thank goodness

Just got an II! completed 7/15/18 invited 8/14/18 scheduled 9/7/18

Just got an II, OOS! Available dates were mondays, wednesdays, and fridays in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the II’s! When were you both complete? & stats if you don’t mind :)

I'm just curious - do you have ties to the state/university or have a specific reason for applying to Carver? Seems like you would have a good shot at T20 with those stats and seems a little odd to apply OOS to Iowa. Your MCAT is like 5 points above the matriculant 90th percentile.
I may be biased, being an Iowa lifer and Hawkeye fan, but if I'm not mistaken, Carver has one of the better MD programs in the country. (US news #32 in research, 2018)

Not that this really matters.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just curious - do you have ties to the state/university or have a specific reason for applying to Carver? Seems like you would have a good shot at T20 with those stats and seems a little odd to apply OOS to Iowa. Your MCAT is like 5 points above the matriculant 90th percentile.
That's a totally fair question, I'm actually from WI, have ties to the state, and am interested in rural family med. Honestly it was kind of just on my list before I got my MCAT score back and I felt like it was worth the money to just have the option. (AKA I'd already pre-written the secondaries lol)

I was complete 7/17 and stats are in my signature

II Today! Complete 7/18, LM = 77, OOS!

II today, complete 8/8! IS reapplicant, LM 71. Hoping for a better outcome this year, I've really fallen in love with this school.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Do you have insane EC’s?! You have so many interviews!
To be honest, I’m shocked by how everything’s going, I thought I had pretty average EC’s to be quite honest (clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, research but not published, some leadership positions) nothing like out of the ordinary

Anyone know if the “your application is pending a final decision” status is more like a hold? Or are they waiting to reject later?

Anyone know if the “your application is pending a final decision” status is more like a hold? Or are they waiting to reject later?
I assume that just means we're complete and in the queue to be reviewed/being reviewed.

I assume that just means we're complete and in the queue to be reviewed/being reviewed.

I hope it's that we're being reviewed, rather than what I said in my first post, considering before I had "your file is complete". I guess time will tell.

I hope it's that we're being reviewed, rather than what I said in my first post, considering before I had "your file is complete". I guess time will tell.

I received an II on 8/14 and I am still seeing the "pending a final decision" message, so I would not worry about that.

II just now. MSTP. LizzyM 71.6. URM

Edit: Complete 8/21

Last edited:
Current M2 checking in. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school or applying process.

Check your portal. I have received an on-campus II but no email about it. I was complete Aug 4.

Last edited:
Current M2 checking in. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school or applying process.
What was your experience with CBL? Did you like it, dislike it, or kind of indifferent?

What was your experience with CBL? Did you like it, dislike it, or kind of indifferent?
Disliked the first semester CBL. Our facilitator was a turd who has since retired. Second semester was much better. I was with two anesthesiologists who were very knowledgeable and led our group with more clinical emphasis.

CBL is very facilitator dependent. Most are great, but I've heard a couple complaints about others.

Disliked the first semester CBL. Our facilitator was a turd who has since retired. Second semester was much better. I was with two anesthesiologists who were very knowledgeable and led our group with more clinical emphasis.

CBL is very facilitator dependent. Most are great, but I've heard a couple complaints about others.
Thanks for the info :thumbup:

Interview invite today!! Complete 8/21. Scheduled for 10/3.

Wow, that was quick, congrats! Are you a high stat IS applicant?
I think it really varies how fast you get an invite. I wouldn't consider myself a high stat instate applicant, and the turnaround for me from secondary completion to II was one week.

I have an interview in October and currently have a pair of light grey dress pants, a white blouse, and a light blue blazer. It looks really nice on, especially since I have blue eyes, but now I’m worried it’s not professional enough. Thoughts? How strict on dress are they? Obviously it is professional looking but I’m stressin’ now
I'm sure your fine. Interesting first post on SDN..

L
I'm sure your fine. Interesting first post on SDN..
lol yeah I usually lurk but I saw you were willing to answer questions so I figured why not.. I’ve been stressing for literally any reason I can come up with ugh

L

lol yeah I usually lurk but I saw you were willing to answer questions so I figured why not.. I’ve been stressing for literally any reason I can come up with ugh
That's probably the least of your worries though haha.