2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did you see the II notification on your portal? Did it appear under Application Status or somewhere else?
I know u didn't ask me lol but I got an email. I can't seem to find it on the portal

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that was quick, congrats! Are you a high stat IS applicant?

Im OOS with strong IS ties but claimed IS residency on my secondary due to those strong ties. Stats are average 3.8 509. I thought I have heard somewhere before that they interview nearly all IS applicants, can someone please confirm this?

Im OOS with strong IS ties but claimed IS residency on my secondary due to those strong ties. Stats are average 3.8 509. I thought I have heard somewhere before that they interview nearly all IS applicants, can someone please confirm this?
True. But if you don't live in Iowa, why did you claim IS?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

This might be overly neurotic, but did anyone else's portal status change from something like "Pending final decision" to "Pending, a final decision on your application had not yet been made"? What could this mean?

Reactions: 1 users
This might be overly neurotic, but did anyone else's portal status change from something like "Pending final decision" to "Pending, a final decision on your application had not yet been made"? What could this mean?
Mine said this. Not sure why.

They interviewed about 90% of IS applicants last year, according to MSAR.

Dunno if this has been addressed yet, but in my portal it looks like I'm able to schedule an interview despite receiving no email yet and application status page saying "PENDING a final decision on your application has not yet been made"

Should I just go ahead and schedule an interview??

Dunno if this has been addressed yet, but in my portal it looks like I'm able to schedule an interview despite receiving no email yet and application status page saying "PENDING a final decision on your application has not yet been made"

Should I just go ahead and schedule an interview??

Sure! I got the actual II email the next day after my portal updated with the Interview tab. They also appear to allow you to reschedule.

Same thing on mine, and no interview invite (and likely won't, as I'm low-stat and OOS). Did everyone's status change to this?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing on mine, and no interview invite (and likely won't, as I'm low-stat and OOS). Did everyone's status change to this?

I had the same status change, from "Pending final decision" to "PENDING A final decision on your application has not yet been made". I do not have the interview tab or any sort of email correspondence yet, so I am not sure if it actually means anything or not.

good luck everyone! i applied to iowa on a whim but it ended being my first interview and the school i will happily be attending. feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

Hi! Thanks for being willing to answer questions. I have a big one, for sure. How did you plan out your travel for the interview? As in, which airport did you fly into and what logistical issues did you run into? I'm looking at the cost of flying into a municipal airport and see that it is significantly higher than flying into Des Moines, but the Uber/Lyft is crazy expensive to get from there to Iowa City. How did you make it work?

Just got an II here! OOS, LizzyM of 76 but with unbalanced stats (3.4, 520+). Love the program at CCM and can't wait to visit the campus! Also will be puzzling over the best way to get to campus, thinking about just renting a car and driving from the airport.
Edit: Was complete 8/6

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for being willing to answer questions. I have a big one, for sure. How did you plan out your travel for the interview? As in, which airport did you fly into and what logistical issues did you run into? I'm looking at the cost of flying into a municipal airport and see that it is significantly higher than flying into Des Moines, but the Uber/Lyft is crazy expensive to get from there to Iowa City. How did you make it work?

Congrats on your II!! For my interview, I flew to Moline and took a Megabus to Iowa City, which was about an hour or so. It was ~$200 cheaper for me to fly to moline over cedar rapids so I just did that and slept on the bus. We have several airports around Iowa City that you could look into - Cedar Rapids which is the closest (~20 min drive) but probably one of the most expensive, Moline which is about an hour away in Illinois, Des Moines which is about a 2 hour drive. If you have time to spare and want to check out Chicago, flights to Chicago are DEFINITELY the cheapest and have more available times. The bus would take about 4 hours to get to Iowa City. From all of these airports except Cedar Rapids, I would recommend taking a megabus/greyhound type of thing cause it's A LOT cheaper than getting a Uber/Lyft, but you could also rent a car. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Congrats on your II!! For my interview, I flew to Moline and took a Megabus to Iowa City, which was about an hour or so. It was ~$200 cheaper for me to fly to moline over cedar rapids so I just did that and slept on the bus. We have several airports around Iowa City that you could look into - Cedar Rapids which is the closest (~20 min drive) but probably one of the most expensive, Moline which is about an hour away in Illinois, Des Moines which is about a 2 hour drive. If you have time to spare and want to check out Chicago, flights to Chicago are DEFINITELY the cheapest and have more available times. The bus would take about 4 hours to get to Iowa City. From all of these airports except Cedar Rapids, I would recommend taking a megabus/greyhound type of thing cause it's A LOT cheaper than getting a Uber/Lyft, but you could also rent a car. Let me know if you have any other questions :)
Native Iowan here... I suggest flying to DM and renting a car to drive into IC. It will be cheaper and it's literally a straight shot to IC from DM. You really can't mess up the drive. It's actually only about 1 hour 30 min-1 hour 45 min drive if you're not coming on game day. (Caravan on Hawks on I-80E every Saturday. Go Hawks!) Or you could fly into Chicago, but its a longer drive and if you rent a car you have to deal with Chi-town traffic. I'd rather drive from DM than take a bus.

II This morning!! OOS. LM 65, Complete 7/20.

I randomly checked my portal and the interview tab had popped up! Have not received an email yet. I think this happened to a couple other people here? So thrilled!! Carver is in my top 3!!

II This morning!! OOS. LM 65, Complete 7/20.

I randomly checked my portal and the interview tab had popped up! Have not received an email yet. I think this happened to a couple other people here? So thrilled!! Carver is in my top 3!!
The official II email came out this morning!

II this morning! OOS, LM~75. Complete 8/13, received an email

Do you know how long it takes to get a secondary after primary forwarded?

So I need current applicants opinions on this. I just received an email from Carver that was inviting me to apply. I didn't submit a primary to them. The email stated this basically
"Dear My name"
We have learned of your interest in a medical career from the AAMC's Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR). Based on your MCAT scores, we encourage you to apply to the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine. We are committed to achieving excellence through diversity, and invite you to look at our diversity efforts in the college.

I mean I'm not even close to their average MCAT based on their requirements I do qualify for a secondary... Is there even a point to applying here?

So I need current applicants opinions on this. I just received an email from Carver that was inviting me to apply. I didn't submit a primary to them. The email stated this basically
"Dear My name"
We have learned of your interest in a medical career from the AAMC's Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR). Based on your MCAT scores, we encourage you to apply to the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine. We are committed to achieving excellence through diversity, and invite you to look at our diversity efforts in the college.

I mean I'm not even close to their average MCAT based on their requirements I do qualify for a secondary... Is there even a point to applying here?

I was wondering about this too. I also have no ties to this state.. Does anyone know if this is just a generic message to get more people to apply or if this is an expression of genuine interest in an applicant?

"Dear My name"

They send these messages to students URM that are pretty much over the 50th percentile on the MCAT and you guys should give it a shot. Also if you made less than 12,000 but did not get the FAP, reply to the message and ask them to waive your secondary fees. Good luck!

They send these messages to students URM that are pretty much over the 50th percentile on the MCAT and you guys should give it a shot. Also if you made less than 12,000 but did not get the FAP, reply to the message and ask them to waive your secondary fees. Good luck!

In addition to waiving the secondary fee, you might qualify for $200 reimbursement for your interview travel costs.

How much is the secondary fee?

hmm okay. I don't qualify for FAP because I make over 12,000 dollars... but I'm living on my own.. and after bills I have like 20 dollars to buy food for the month o_O but yeah... I don't qualify unfortunately... I'll see if the 80 dollars is worth it...

hmm okay. I don't qualify for FAP because I make over 12,000 dollars... but I'm living on my own.. and after bills I have like 20 dollars to buy food for the month o_O but yeah... I don't qualify unfortunately... I'll see if the 80 dollars is worth it...
yeah they dont follow AAMC guidelines for 30,000

Do any Iowans know if your state is requiring passport or RealID to travel on flight? I'm from California and we don't require it here, so I now I'll be able to fly out TO Iowa. Just want to make sure if I should get my RealID to be able to fly out OF Iowa back home.

Do any Iowans know if your state is requiring passport or RealID to travel on flight? I'm from California and we don't require it here, so I now I'll be able to fly out TO Iowa. Just want to make sure if I should get my RealID to be able to fly out OF Iowa back home.
Not an Iowans but my sister goes to school there. A driver license is enough to fly in n out of the state. There are states that require you to carry a passport or RealID to travel there? I thought a driver license or permanent ID is enough to fly domestically.

Not an Iowans but my sister goes to school there. A driver license is enough to fly in n out of the state. There are states that require you to carry a passport or RealID to travel there? I thought a driver license or permanent ID is enough to fly domestically.
RealID or passport will be required for all flights, domestic and international in 2020

Any feedback about the interview and the questions they ask?

Any feedback about the interview and the questions they ask?
It's a very welcoming interview process. I felt relaxed throughout the whole day. It's a two-person interview with faculty, and all of the questions can be found on Interview Feedback on SDN. I didn't really get any curveballs, they were all questions you would expect from most med school interviews.