2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a very welcoming interview process. I felt relaxed throughout the whole day. It's a two-person interview with faculty, and all of the questions can be found on Interview Feedback on SDN. I didn't really get any curveballs, they were all questions you would expect from most med school interviews.

Nice! Makes me feel a lot better! Currently drafting answers from the ones on SDN, they sound pretty interesting.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a very welcoming interview process. I felt relaxed throughout the whole day. It's a two-person interview with faculty, and all of the questions can be found on Interview Feedback on SDN. I didn't really get any curveballs, they were all questions you would expect from most med school interviews.
Where is this "Interview Feedback" on SDN, that you speak of? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in!! Super excited to consider Iowa more heavily as I weigh my options.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! OOS, interviewed 9/28. So excited, I loved the school!

Reactions: 2 users
Bump to inform you all that I had an II on the portal all along without an email till I was finally asked whether I wanted to interview.

Check the portal guys :)

Accepted today! OOS, interviewed 9/28. So excited, I loved the school!
Congratulations!! I interviewed a couple weeks after you and also love the school. Fingers crossed I'll be your classmate in the Fall!

Bump to inform you all that I had an II on the portal all along without an email till I was finally asked whether I wanted to interview.

Check the portal guys :)
Same thing happened to me, but I did actually receive an email about 3-4 days later. I had already booked my hotel and flight by then. :laugh:

Hoping for some love from this school! Complete end of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
They said after interviews, they don't review applications chronologically; does anyone know what dictates the order they review them in?

Coin flip? Haha I wish I knew

My assumption is that they review the applications in a fairly chronological order from highest stat applicant to lowest stat applicants. I interviewed on 10/3 with a group of 15 and have yet to hear back, however two of the applicants I interviewed with got acceptance emails on 10/15. Those two students had stat of 518+ and 3.95+. For reference my stats are 3.8 and 509. Again all this is just my assumption.

My assumption is that they review the applications in a fairly chronological order from highest stat applicant to lowest stat applicants. I interviewed on 10/3 with a group of 15 and have yet to hear back, however two of the applicants I interviewed with got acceptance emails on 10/15. Those two students had stat of 518+ and 3.95+. For reference my stats are 3.8 and 509. Again all this is just my assumption.
Sounds reasonable, thank you!

Hi all!

I'm an URM from the east coast, LM 66. Interview invite 10/7.

Really great academic teaching center so hoping for some love from Carver!

Hi all!

I'm an URM from the east coast, LM 66. Interview invite 10/7.

Really great academic teaching center so hoping for some love from Carver!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

For anyone who has already interviewed here, were you able to Uber/Lyft from the airport to your hotel or host's home reasonably? Any hotel recommendations?

For anyone who has already interviewed here, were you able to Uber/Lyft from the airport to your hotel or host's home reasonably? Any hotel recommendations?
Yeah it’s very easy. $25-30 each way. I stayed at the Heartland Inn and loved it. They will shuttle you right to the med school on the morning of your interview. Good food near by as well. Definitely recommend it!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it’s very easy. $25-30 each way. I stayed at the Heartland Inn and loved it. They will shuttle you right to the med school on the morning of your interview. Good food near by as well. Definitely recommend it!
Definitely recommend Heartland Inn as well. They have a decent dinner and breakfast that's complimentary as well. Nothing spectacular, but a couple free hotdogs, chilibeans, cookie and fruit was perfect .They take tips and friendly smiles in return .

Not to be extremely neurotic, but I checked the portal today and under the "Application Status" tab it says "Pending." I truly don't remember what it said before, but I think either Pending or Complete? Does anyone know if Pending means a pre-II hold, it's under review now, or it hasn't even been looked at yet? I was complete in September.

Not to be extremely neurotic, but I checked the portal today and under the "Application Status" tab it says "Pending." I truly don't remember what it said before, but I think either Pending or Complete? Does anyone know if Pending means a pre-II hold, it's under review now, or it hasn't even been looked at yet? I was complete in September.
I’m post interview and my portal says PENDING so I think it just means you’re under consideration. If you get an interview then an Interview tab will appear.

Just now checking in, IS, complete 10/24, II 10/26, interview scheduled for 11/14! Looking forward to it, best of luck to everyone else throughout this long and drawn-out process!

Accepted today! Interviewed 9/12, IS LizzyM 71. I about had a heart attack. I'm a reapplicant, didn't make it onto the waitlist last year. Cannot stress enough going to that meeting with the director of admissions if you are rejected. I worked on the things they told me to improve on, and it really paid off. So excited, I'm going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 9/12, IS LizzyM 71. I about had a heart attack. I'm a reapplicant, didn't make it onto the waitlist last year. Cannot stress enough going to that meeting with the director of admissions if you are rejected. I worked on the things they told me to improve on, and it really paid off. So excited, I'm going to be a doctor!

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Also interviewed 9/12 but don't think I fit well and expecting an R. Students and the city were amazing though!

Hey ! Any OOS still waiting for II ? I was complete Early August and haven't heard back ever since :/

Reactions: 5 users
Hey ! Any OOS still waiting for II ? I was complete Early August and haven't heard back ever since :/
Yes! still waiting here.

Apparently they don't review in order of complete date. They interview those that stand out to them initially and then put the rest in a different pile to review later. Same with post-interview, they supposedly do not give acceptances in order of interview date either.

So....waiting game continues.

Accepted yesterday! IS 508, 3.95. Can't wait to start my journey!!!

Can any IS applicants remember how many in state applicants are accepted in the fall before the final pool in January? I cant remember from my interview if they accept 33-ish students in the fall and then accept the remaining 66-ish students from the final pool in January-March. Or if they accept 66ish students in the fall and then accept the remaining 33-ish students from the final pool in Janurary- March. Any clarification is greatly appreciated!