2018-2019 University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an OOS applicant, got the email about needing to have strong Kentucky ties, etc etc, and then received a secondary. Is this because they actually screened my app and liked my stats or something, or do they send the Kentucky ties email and then send secondaries to everyone? Just trying to decide if its realistic to hope to submit my secondary and get an interview or just a waste of money.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an OOS applicant, got the email about needing to have strong Kentucky ties, etc etc, and then received a secondary. Is this because they actually screened my app and liked my stats or something, or do they send the Kentucky ties email and then send secondaries to everyone? Just trying to decide if its realistic to hope to submit my secondary and get an interview or just a waste of money.

I would say if you got a secondary, you have a chance at an interview. Just make sure you explain any ties to the Commonwealth in the secondary. Their screening proces is significantly more intense this year so anyone who gets a secondary should submit it in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you respond to the email asking for our connections to the state and then receive the secondary? Or it automatically came without explaining your ties? I ask because I replied to their email on 7/22 with my ties to the state and have yet to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you respond to the email asking for our connections to the state and then receive the secondary? Or it automatically came without explaining your ties? I ask because I replied to their email on 7/22 with my ties to the state and have yet to hear back.

I did not respond to their email about connections, I got the first email on 7/18 and then got my secondary on 7/25.

I did not respond to their email about connections, I got the first email on 7/18 and then got my secondary on 7/25.
If you don't have connections, I would strongly recommend thinking hard about the secondary/paying the fee. You can always contact admissions to see what they think of your situation. They are IS/ties heavy ESPECIALLY this year with new policies in place.

I received an email regarding an interview invite portal, FYI.

Last edited:
Did you find out whether other applicants have an II via an invite portal?
No, I believe only ED people received their links as of yesterday.
But their portal seems to be working now, so that's a good sign the process of disseminating II's will start soon.

Last edited:
II a little over an hour ago. Regular decision, IS 3.89/512. Having a hard time picking a date, do you guys think anytime before the Oct. 15 first decisions coming out is an early interview?

II a little over an hour ago. Regular decision, IS 3.89/512. Having a hard time picking a date, do you guys think anytime before the Oct. 15 first decisions coming out is an early interview?
When did you submit the secondary/payment? I think anytime before Oct 15th is okay but you probably want to be earlyish.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit the secondary/payment? I think anytime before Oct 15th is okay but you probably want to be earlyish.

I submitted & paid on 7/11. I was thinking Sept. 25. My guess is the committee meets every two weeks, because they interview 2 times per week, then skip a week. So I think all those who interview before the 15th of October should theoretically get a decision on that day.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted & paid on 7/11. I was thinking Sept. 25. My guess is the committee meets every two weeks, because they interview 2 times per week, then skip a week. So I think all those who interview before the 15th of October should theoretically get a decision on that day.
Yeah for sure, I think pick a date you are most comfortable with. I think for us IS folks we have a decent shot anyway so you want to go ahead and schedule when you feel most prepped.

Similar situation. Similar stats. IS 3.97/511. This is my top school, so I was wanting to potentially interview somewhere else before here to get accustomed(ish) to interview day. BUT at the same time Id like to interview early and maybe secure a spot early... conflicted to say the least.

Similar situation. Similar stats. IS 3.97/511. This is my top school, so I was wanting to potentially interview somewhere else before here to get accustomed(ish) to interview day. BUT at the same time Id like to interview early and maybe secure a spot early... conflicted to say the least.

Oh absolutely my top choice as well since its my alma mater. I think I'm going with the 25th. It's still quite early in the grand scheme of things, gives much more time to be prepared and not stressed out by having back to back interviews (cause I have two before that) and if they meet every two weeks like I think they do to discuss the most recent interviews, there should be a decision for that day by Oct 15.

Last edited:
I think I'm going with the 25th. It's still quite early in the grand scheme of things, gives much more time to be prepared and not stressed out by having back to back interviews (cause I have two before that) and if they meet every two weeks like I think they do to discuss the most recent interviews, there should be a decision for that day by Oct 15.
If that is true, which it seems to be, if i chose the 29th i would also have a decision by that date as well, yeah?

If that is true, which it seems to be, if i chose the 29th i would also have a decision by that date as well, yeah?

Yep you should. You'd be reviewed the same week I would. I'd imagine they meet multiple times during the week after interviews to discuss, have a decision by Friday, send decisions Monday. And that should be the basic schedule throughout the application season, aside from the first decisions which wait till the 15th.

Of course, they could also hold certain applications for further review every two weeks if they are on the fence.

Yep you should. You'd be reviewed the same week I would. I'd imagine they meet multiple times during the week after interviews to discuss, have a decision by Friday, send decisions Monday. And that should be the basic schedule throughout the application season, aside from the first decisions which wait till the 15th.

Of course, they could also hold certain applications for further review every two weeks if they are on the fence.

Sweetness! Good luck to you this cycle!

Anyone with II interviewing for Bowling Green or Northern Ky. Univ. campuses?

Do you mind saying when the first interview was? Trying to plan when I should schedule eventually! Congrats!!

First available for me was August 21st. But that is mostly for ED applicants. Next available is August 28. They have a handy image on their website of all the interview dates.

First available for me was August 21st. But that is mostly for ED applicants. Next available is August 28. They have a handy image on their website of all the interview dates.
okay cool, I didn't know if any had filled up by the time you had checked. Thanks!

Interview as early as possible!

For those of you interested in the new Bowling Green Campus. Look how pretty

Attachments

• 9C663FFD-AD12-4C60-90A1-A0AC3FF9C487.jpeg
    9C663FFD-AD12-4C60-90A1-A0AC3FF9C487.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: 2 users
II today! OOS, LizzyM 71, not sure when complete (never got an email) but submitted on 7/15

II just now! IS, submitted on August 1st. Earliest date available was 9/25.

After signing up for an interview date are we to receive an interview confirmation email?

Anyone received an interview invite to the Northern Kentucky location yet?

Anyone notice that the estimated number of new entrants on the MSAR is 201. However, the last class of admitted students was 136. Is the school planning on expanding the number of students?

Anyone notice that the estimated number of new entrants on the MSAR is 201. However, the last class of admitted students was 136. Is the school planning on expanding the number of students?

I’ve wondered that as well, I think it has something to do with all the satellite campuses though. Morehead will have 10-12, WKU I believe has 30, NKY will have 30-35. If we assume the max number at all of those that leaves 124 seats in Lexington which is about what it’s always been I think. There’s some give and take obviously but 120-130 seats for Lex I believe

Likely due to the new campuses at Bowling Green and Northern Kentucky.

Bowling Green, Lexington, Morehead, and NKY campus to accommodate the numbers.

II offered today!!! Submitted my secondary 8/2, NKY campus. Interviews offered 9/8 - late January, I selected 9/8.

Pictures of the New Bowling Green Campus and Student lounge! See that parking garage behind it, it’s all ours and we get to park for free!!!!

If your out of state APPLY! don’t be scared. ignore the negative Nancy’s in SDN and take a chance... then maybe I’ll C U next year!

I’m in the inaugural class, and may be bias but so far it has been really amazing and I cannot express how happy I am to be attend medical school at this location. That’s why I am posting and telling you all to apply! It truly was the Best decision I ever made.

The class of 30 are already like family. And the staff are the friendliest most encouraging people I’ve ever worked with.

So if you have any questions about the new campus feel free to shoot me a message.

Good luck everyone!!!

Attachments

• 2D72FD7A-3486-4BA3-A84F-174650B623D3.jpeg
    2D72FD7A-3486-4BA3-A84F-174650B623D3.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 25FA3E30-E72B-4864-BE63-6C1C761E0DB3.jpeg
    25FA3E30-E72B-4864-BE63-6C1C761E0DB3.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 98
  • 0CBCA0CE-09A7-4599-94DF-812C1D4E8545.jpeg
    0CBCA0CE-09A7-4599-94DF-812C1D4E8545.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 89
  • F6735C01-1808-49DF-BDA6-5B803CFEBAF7.jpeg
    F6735C01-1808-49DF-BDA6-5B803CFEBAF7.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 86
  • A680DDAF-F065-4D07-912F-E4859D239B18.jpeg
    A680DDAF-F065-4D07-912F-E4859D239B18.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
A few more photos of the New BG campus.

Attachments

• 65D6B4B1-BFD4-415B-BCD7-91B496E2C76C.jpeg
    65D6B4B1-BFD4-415B-BCD7-91B496E2C76C.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 994E0DA4-679B-4EBD-9B42-A7968C6791FE.jpeg
    994E0DA4-679B-4EBD-9B42-A7968C6791FE.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 80
  • 6293D1F5-BC8D-48E8-99F4-72C68C5CC93B.jpeg
    6293D1F5-BC8D-48E8-99F4-72C68C5CC93B.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 82
  • F51E12AF-BA1A-4B30-A8F7-6DF54A5E172E.jpeg
    F51E12AF-BA1A-4B30-A8F7-6DF54A5E172E.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 85
Pictures of the New Bowling Green Campus and Student lounge! See that parking garage behind it, it’s all ours and we get to park for free!!!!

If your out of state APPLY! don’t be scared. ignore the negative Nancy’s in SDN and take a chance... then maybe I’ll C U next year!

I’m in the inaugural class, and may be bias but so far it has been really amazing and I cannot express how happy I am to be attend medical school at this location. That’s why I am posting and telling you all to apply! It truly was the Best decision I ever made.

The class of 30 are already like family. And the staff are the friendliest most encouraging people I’ve ever worked with.

So if you have any questions about the new campus feel free to shoot me a message.

Good luck everyone!!!

If you don't mind, I have a few questions...
Was the Bowling Green Campus your top campus preference, or was the the Lexington campus? Why?
Are all of the locations other than the Lexington campus focused on serving more rural type areas?

Good luck everyone!!!

Super nice! Hopefully they'll renovate the COM in Lexington one day and make all shiny and new, although it'll probably be after we are through. But I can't imagine the parking problem on UK campus being solved. It was awful all through undergrad