2018-2019 University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Kentucky College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to everyone applying this year!

So I’m not sure if anyone here will be able to confirm this, but at one of the open houses at the NKY campus we were told that all Kentucky residents with at least a 3.4 and a 50th percentile MCAT are guaranteed an interview. I attended open houses at three of the campuses and this was the only one that mentioned this guaruntee. This isn’t listed anywhere on the website as far as I know either. I specifically asked the dean at the open house if this was true across ALL campuses and he said it was. I was pretty surprised to hear that (especially since that’s pretty low for MD cut offs), seems like it would overload them with interviews? I wish we were provided with the PowerPoint they used at the open house so I could prove that haha. However, that would be a huge relief for a lot of us in-state kids.

Good luck folks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I’m not sure if anyone here will be able to confirm this, but at one of the open houses at the NKY campus we were told that all Kentucky residents with at least a 3.4 and a 50th percentile MCAT are guaranteed an interview. I attended open houses at three of the campuses and this was the only one that mentioned this guaruntee. This isn’t listed anywhere on the website as far as I know either. I specifically asked the dean at the open house if this was true across ALL campuses and he said it was. I was pretty surprised to hear that (especially since that’s pretty low for MD cut offs), seems like it would overload them with interviews? I wish we were provided with the PowerPoint they used at the open house so I could prove that haha. However, that would be a huge relief for a lot of us in-state kids.

Good luck folks!
If the dean said it I’d take his word for it! Good luck this year!!

Good luck folks!

Dr. Elam visited my school's pre-med club earlier this year and said that at least a 505 MCAT (so more like 67th percentile) and a 3.5 for KY residents would guarantee you an interview at the Lexington campus (and of course a lower MCAT could be considered alongside a higher GPA, and vice versa).

Good luck with your application this year! I was admitted this spring for the upcoming class, so feel free to ask any questions about the process :)

Last edited:
Dr. Elam visited my school's pre-med club earlier this year and said that at least a 505 MCAT (so more like 67th percentile) and a 3.5 for KY residents would guarantee you an interview at the Lexington campus (and of course a lower MCAT could be considered alongside a higher GPA, and vice versa).

Good luck with your application this year! I was admitted this spring for the upcoming class, so feel free to ask any questions about the process :)

Thanks for clarifying, that's a really nice thing to know. Relieves a good bit of pressure for many of us I think.

Good luck folks!
This has definitely been confirmed multiple times by Kim Scott, so don't worry! I also don't think it will overload interviews as tbh.. there was only ~480 IS apps this past cycle :) and you can probably assume not all of them fulfill those requirements.

Does UK require the pre-reqs completed before admission? The website says so but that's pretty uncommon practice. The MSAR says the latest date to complete pre-reqs was April 2018 which seems a bit odd. But then just above that date it says complete them prior to matriculation. I'm not really sure which is correct haha

Just a note for OOS applicants given a glimmer of hope from the MSAR data-- I was told by a reliable source UK is going to the platform of, essentially, UK for Kentucky. No truly significant ties to the area/spouse from the area? Apply and give them your money at your own discretion.

Does UK require the pre-reqs completed before admission? The website says so but that's pretty uncommon practice. The MSAR says the latest date to complete pre-reqs was April 2018 which seems a bit odd. But then just above that date it says complete them prior to matriculation. I'm not really sure which is correct haha
They have to be complete before you begin medical school. I think the latest deadline is June 15th before matriculation. A few students I know in this upcoming class were accepted while still finishing up prerequisites. Just know if you are in that situation u must maintain your gpa can’t get accepted then rock those c’s

Secondary received! Also IS. Still not entirely sure of my campus preference, though.

Secondary received. OOS but with strong ties to KY.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lotta Secondary Qs:

Why have you chosen to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine? (Optional) (1000 chars)

Please elaborate on personal characteristics and any accomplishments and experiences that you feel help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the college and to the profession of medicine.Optional (1000 chars)

Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. Optional (1000 chars)

What competencies and qualities do you feel a physician should possess? (1500 chars)

Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. What did you learn from that experience? (2000 chars)

Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful? (1500 chars)

In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? (1500 chars)

Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning. (1500 chars)

Please share unique, personally important,and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2500 chars)

Received an email from Kentucky today reading:
As a state school, the University of Kentucky College of Medicine accepts primarily Kentucky residents. If you have a clear and strong tie to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, you should inform the Admissions Office in writing immediately.

Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application. Thank you for your interest in the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

no real strong Kentucky ties for me, my advisor suggested I apply. I have competitive stats, ECs and research... did I just waste my money sending my primary to a school that isn't even looking for OOS applicants?

As a state school, the University of Kentucky College of Medicine accepts primarily Kentucky residents. If you have a clear and strong tie to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, you should inform the Admissions Office in writing immediately.

Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application. Thank you for your interest in the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

no real strong Kentucky ties for me, my advisor suggested I apply. I have competitive stats, ECs and research... did I just waste my money sending my primary to a school that isn't even looking for OOS applicants?
I am an undergraduate and they raised the bar on IS matriculants to 90% internally (as in not stated anywhere yet) for this cycle. I would say its extremely hard to get admitted without state ties

Crap so we're SOL basically? I won't waste my time filling out those extensive questions in all honesty if we are :/

OOS and received an email saying unless I have very strong ties to Kentucky, I dont even get a secondary.

I called the dean's office and they have very specific criteria they look for in regards to state ties (they upped it from later year significantly). You need to have had a family member graudate UK Medical school, have your parents from there, or go to high school there. Won't accept grandparents or aunts or anything that isn't a strong direct tie. They do not give secondaries to OoS without those ties.

I'm a KY resident, but I thought I'd throw this out there to help with anyone trying whether to decide to apply. On the UK MSAR page, under "also accepts" it says "out-of-state (case by case)". I'm pretty sure it used to also say international and Canadian, but I suppose UK has decided to remove them and only consider IS and OOS with significant ties for admission. This goes to show they really really are heavily pushing for admitting a vast majority of their class in-state. There's been a lot of leadership change particularly at UK medical school and the state of medical education in Kentucky is really in flux right now, but one thing we know for sure from what we've seen is that IS applicants are going to get more heavily preferred. I agree they probably should be more forthcoming about this on their admissions website. Like others have said, if you don't have significant ties to KY as mentioned above, I'd strongly encourage you to consider using that money to apply somewhere that is OOS friendlier.

Last edited:

It will be a waste if you do nothing from here. Perhaps if u have no strong ties you could write a brief reply explaining why despite that you still want to apply and be considered for Kentucky... it’s all about the effort. Many out of staters see that email and give up.

It will be a waste if you do nothing from here. Perhaps if u have no strong ties you could write a brief reply explaining why despite that you still want to apply and be considered for Kentucky... it’s all about the effort. Many out of staters see that email and give up.
I agree. Worth to try and make the effort. I called and got nothing, but you never know.

Has anyone who submitted their secondary received an email confirmation of receipt or any other communication since submitting? Submitted secondary 7/13.

Has anyone who submitted their secondary received an email confirmation of receipt or any other communication since submitting? Submitted secondary 7/13.

Nada. Submitted 7/11, only got a confirmation of payment

Have you heard anything re Interviews from UK yet?

Nope. On the secondary it says 2-4 weeks for “processing”. And I submitted the day I got it which was 2 weeks ago. So perhaps some time in the next couple weeks IIs will start coming out.

I'm IS, went to UK for my two degrees, URM, early decision person... I submitted my application on July 9th.

There's been some re-arranging of hierarchy within the adcom... given that, I know they had a big meeting last week to discuss (likely) the new screening procedures and interview procedures. I also know that interview dates have been tentatively set and that given the earliest date, I'd assume no later than next week should those individuals who submitted early should start receiving feedback because it gives at least 3 weeks till those dates. I'm hoping by the end of this week b/c ED deadline is Aug 1, they'll start sending stuff out... I'm getting anxious.

Good luck everyone , xoxo

Last edited:
I'm IS, went to UK for my two degrees, URM, early decision person... I submitted my application on July 9th.

There's been some re-arranging of hierarchy within the adcom... given that, I know they had a big meeting last week to discuss (likely) the new screening procedures and interview procedures. I also know that interview dates have been tentatively set and that given the earliest date, I'd assume no later than next week should those individuals who submitted early should start receiving feedback because it gives at least 3 weeks till those dates. I'm hoping by the end of this week b/c ED deadline is Aug 1, they'll start sending stuff out... I'm getting anxious.

Good luck everyone , xoxo
Any info regarding screening and interview procedures other than dates?

Are the tentative dates the ones on the website? The earliest date there is Aug 21 which is three weeks from tomorrow, so I do hope they start sending those II's out soon. Like next couple days soon. I could definitely see them sending them out Aug 1 or Aug 2

Reactions: 1 users
Are the tentative dates the ones on the website? The earliest date there is Aug 21 which is three weeks from tomorrow, so I do hope they start sending those II's out soon. Like next couple day soon. I could definitely see them sending them out Aug 1 or Aug 2
Same. I want to keep dates open for early interview here.

Same. I want to keep dates open for early interview here.

Yeah I feel that I'm still sitting on one II and have pushed two interviews to dates that won't interfere.

Last edited:
Did anyone that submitted an email detailing their ties to the state get a confirmation email or anything? I haven't heard back D:

I know that they're broadening the screening range, and they do a hard(I'd assume the terminology) screen, that if you don't make a certain MCAT then it's a no go. But, there are newer things being set in place( MCAT screening range, suggestions of a more "holistic" approach from the get-go) that I don't know about or if they are to take effect this interview period.

Interviews are with 2 people, then feedback is reviewed by the committee as a whole.
(Unless this has changed in the last week)... they are really doing some changes.

Last edited:
Are the tentative dates the ones on the website? The earliest date there is Aug 21 which is three weeks from tomorrow, so I do hope they start sending those II's out soon. Like next couple days soon. I could definitely see them sending them out Aug 1 or Aug 2

No, per what I was told. And I def agree with you. Early decision deadline is Aug 1 and the timeline for those people is suggested on the website to start interviewing mid-Aug.... so I totally think they could/should be starting to roll interview offers here soon.

Last edited:
I know that they're broadening the screening range, and they do a hard(I'd assume the terminology) screen, that if you don't make a certain MCAT then it's a no go. But, there are newer things being set in place( MCAT screening range, suggestions of a more "holistic" approach from the get-go) that I don't know about or if they are to take effect this interview period.

Interviews are with 2 people, then feedback is reviewed by the committee as a whole.
(Unless this has changed in the last week)... they are really doing some changes.

So do you think the interview guarantee for IS applicants with a certain GPA and MCAT could be one of the new admission strategies/policies? I feel like they confirmed it quite a bit especially at open houses

Last edited:

Thank you. Keep us posted if you gain any more insight.

So do you think the interview guarantee for IS applicants with a certain GPA and MCAT could be one of the new admission strategies/policies? I feel like they confirmed it quite a bit especially at open houses
I don't think the "interview guarantee" being advertised will change... it's been like that at least the past three years. They have a pretty foundational, systematic approach for those who meet the standards. I think the changes they are making will benefit and pertain more to those with average/lower stats in granting them more leniency and a holistic view of their application before writing them off immediately.

I'm cautious to post too many specifics, but if you have any direct questions I'd be happy to answer in message!! :)

I'll keep posting general updates as I get them...

I don't think the "interview guarantee" being advertised will change... it's been like that at least the past three years. They have a pretty foundational, systematic approach for those who meet the standards. I think the changes they are making will benefit and pertain more to those with average/lower stats in granting them more leniency and a holistic view of their application before writing them off immediately.

I'm cautious to post too many specifics, but if you have any direct questions I'd be happy to answer in message!! :)

I'll keep posting general updates as I get them...

That’s a good thing. Thanks for the info. I’m a UK alumni of 2016 and things have changed since haha

Anyone had any communications since verification of secondary submission?

Early decision interview date is August 21st... they are tweaking the interviewing software so official invites will be sent out later.

Early decision interview date is August 21st... they are tweaking the interviewing software so official invites will be sent out later.

So probably sometime next week for regulars

Reactions: 1 users
Any regular decisions receive II yet?

Nothin here. Last year it seems like people were aware of II’s around August 15/16 but they used a portal back then where you could actually see your status

Nothin here. Last year it seems like people were aware of II’s around August 15/16 but they used a portal back then where you could actually see your status
The email I got said that an official interview invite would be sent once the changes to their software are complete... I haven't received an invite from the portal yet, so maybe they're still tweaking the system.