2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this might have been asked before, but are exams professor written or NBME

Any current students know about this? I have this questions as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students know about this? I have this questions as well.
I remember when I was talking to a current student on interview day that the exams are professor written, however, they are currently piloting groups of students to take classes with NBME style exams. They've been getting good feedback and might be expanding this.

Reactions: 2 users
I remember when I was talking to a current student on interview day that the exams are professor written, however, they are currently piloting groups of students to take classes with NBME style exams. They've been getting good feedback and might be expanding this.
thanks big baller

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi there! i was accepted back in october and am super excited to attend maryland. are there any current students on here who'd be willing to chat with me about baltimore housing? my parents and I are looking into buying/renting options since i'll be there for quite some time and it would be very valuable to hear what others have done! thank you!

hi there! i was accepted back in october and am super excited to attend maryland. are there any current students on here who'd be willing to chat with me about baltimore housing? my parents and I are looking into buying/renting options since i'll be there for quite some time and it would be very valuable to hear what others have done! thank you!

Current first year! Message me and I can tell you my opinion about the housing situation/my experience

Regarding the new curriculum for 2020, I'll just add that they are going to be integrating some of the new technologies and teaching approaches into your year's curriculum (starting fall 2019) that have been shown to work really well in other medical schools. So you also will benefit from the new curriculum and previous class's feedback.

and @bigballer238 I believe you're correct. in first year, the exams so far have all been professor written but I know that second years just took an NBME style exam so it might be expanding!

Last edited:
there's going to be a handy dandy housing map provided on 2nd look day in your folders :) highlights popular neighborhoods + apartment complexes

if anyone else has questions about maryland, feel free to message me or post it in this thread for others to see! i'm also a first year.

Hey all, just got a few direct messages about wait list, and been seeing posts here about it recently! Have faith and don't lose hope! There is definitely wait list movement! One of my favorite classmates came off the wait list.

Last edited:
Hey all, just got a few direction messages about wait list, and been seeing posts here about it recently! Have faith and don't lose hope! There is definitely wait list movement! One of my favorite classmates came off the wait list.

I know you probably don't know the answer to it, but do you know if the 10 acceptances off the waitlist figure on MSAR is accurate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you probably don't know the answer to it, but do you know if the 10 acceptances off the waitlist figure on MSAR is accurate?
Unfortunately, I don't know how accurate that is. I would say it really depends on the year. 10 sounds like a reasonable estimate. I'd say at the very least 5 people probably come off the wait list +/- a couple. I think I know at least 2 from my year, but obviously I don't know who else did or did not get accepted from the wait list.
On a different note I will be there at 2nd look day on Friday, looking forward to seeing some of you!

Last edited:
WL and planning to withdraw. Good luck my waitlist friends and congrats acceptees! (Not sure if that's a word)

Have any accepted students received a recruitment scholarship?

On my interview day back in the fall they mentioned that they give them out sometimes to students following acceptance but I wasn't sure if that would have happened soon after my acceptance or whether it wouldn't be until I get my financial aid award (or lack thereof lol). Trying to decide if I should wait until my financial aid package comes back or whether I should mention other acceptances to try to get a recruitment scholarship?

On my interview day back in the fall they mentioned that they give them out sometimes to students following acceptance but I wasn't sure if that would have happened soon after my acceptance or whether it wouldn't be until I get my financial aid award (or lack thereof lol). Trying to decide if I should wait until my financial aid package comes back or whether I should mention other acceptances to try to get a recruitment scholarship?
also interested in knowing more about this

I haven’t heard any updates. My understanding was that it was for in state students

Can anyone share any important info from second look?

We met other students. A surgeon from Shock Trauma came and talked about that, Dr. Quezada presented a GI case, Dr. Puche talked about how anatomy is taught, a physician from the Student Research department gave a presentation, and a couple other people talked too. We got to see some of the student research going on and talked to some other physicians from UMD. Some people had a little trauma class, others went to the anatomy lab and worked with cadavers, other people learned about the NICU, and others went to Radiology. There were neighborhood tours in the Inner Harbor, Mt Vernon, Fells Point etc. And there was a student panel where we got to ask questions and an activities fair where we got to go talk to different student groups. And at the end of the day there was a social hour.

I had forgotten a lot of information about the curriculum and the opportunities specific to UMD, so it was nice to be reminded of that and get to meet a lot of happy students and physicians. The neighborhood tour was definitely a plus because people say Baltimore is unsafe etc so to get to go to really nice areas and see the apartment buildings I could live in was a relief. But other things - like the traditional 2 year preclinical system - they didn't convince me about even after the day ended

There wasn't any must know info that you missed - it was more like if you have questions or concerns

Reactions: 4 users
hi friends, I'll be moving to baltimore this fall and am excited to attend maryland! i'm looking into the apartment buildings close to campus (redwood, Fayette square, marlboro classic, camden court, centerpoint etc) so i'm wondering if there are any current students who live/have lived in one of these - what are your general thoughts and do you have any advice regarding any of these?

in addition, slightly unrelated...but i've been reading up lately on crime in baltimore and feel a little nervous about being a relatively petite woman. i'm looking into getting a taser/stun gun or pepper spray just in case. have any current students needed one/actually used theirs? what are your general thoughts?

hi friends, I'll be moving to baltimore this fall and am excited to attend maryland! i'm looking into the apartment buildings close to campus (redwood, Fayette square, marlboro classic, camden court, centerpoint etc) so i'm wondering if there are any current students who live/have lived in one of these - what are your general thoughts and do you have any advice regarding any of these?

in addition, slightly unrelated...but i've been reading up lately on crime in baltimore and feel a little nervous about being a relatively petite woman. i'm looking into getting a taser/stun gun or pepper spray just in case. have any current students needed one/actually used theirs? what are your general thoughts?

At second look day most students seemed to live in Redwood, Camden Ct, and Marlboro classic. They seemed fine with them and liked the proximity to the school and the low price (600-1300? or around that range - the Sailcloth is more like 1200-1500 which students said was too expensive for them). Really no one said anything negative about them. I went with my mom to view one of those places and I felt like I would be really, really uncomfortable living there. If you read the reviews on yelp (or maybe it was what the property manager we spoke to there said - now I don't remember) you can see where people mentioned people trying to break into their apartment and homeless people residing in the entry area. When I was there there were people on the street fighting / seeming high - just generally not the sort of place I would feel comfortable living. If I were a bigger person or a guy maybe I wouldn't care, but I'm not and I do. On yelp, a lot of the places seem to have a mix of 5 stars and 1 stars. I feel like a lot of it is what you are personally okay with - where you are used to living - what makes you feel uncomfortable - whether you're okay knowing you have a stun gun or whether the fact that you feel like you have to have one is enough to be unsettling.

If I go to Maryland I will likely live in an apartment building in Harbor East. It was really nice over there and I felt really safe. For me - being able to walk around and feel safe and just generally not be bothered on the street (catcalls, etc) is really important to me so I am willing to pay more to live in what I feel is a better place for me and to have some green space and amenities etc.

My point in telling you all this is to encourage you to think about what is important to you and what level of safety/niceness of the place you need to be happy/relaxed for these 4 years. Pictures can be deceiving.

As far as the stun gun thing - I haven't used any of them - but I would go with pepper spray. Seems easiest to use and like it would get the job done without having to carry a real weapon.

Edit: also pay attention to where the fire stations and train stations are because some of those buildings you listed noted that it is very loud there. It's also a street that pretty much all the ambulances go down so there's that noise too

Are you all still waiting to get your financial aid packages too? Was told I would get it by the 1st then told I would by the end of last week but still nothing...

Are you all still waiting to get your financial aid packages too? Was told I would get it by the 1st then told I would by the end of last week but still nothing...

Been accepted since October, had my stuff in by Nov 1, and still haven't heard anything

Yep, still waiting...

Just called financial aid, and they said they're looking to get financial aid awards out by end of next week or early the week after. This would be for federal loans and for in-state scholarships, not general merit scholarships.

Just called financial aid, and they said they're looking to get financial aid awards out by end of next week or early the week after. This would be for federal loans and for in-state scholarships, not general merit scholarships.
Did they say anything about the merit, recruitment scholarships? I know those are usually decided by the admissions office not the financial aid office - just wondering if they mentioned

yeah, I got a nice scholarship offer about a month after being accepted (so... back in feb). Also, i'm OOS if that means anything. Good luck to all, hope u all get blessed with a phat check (;

yeah, I got a nice scholarship offer about a month after being accepted (so... back in feb). Also, i'm OOS if that means anything. Good luck to all, hope u all get blessed with a phat check (;
Same, I got a scholarship offer in Feb but I interviewed in October

Anyone else get an email to set up UMID? I can log into SURFS, but no financial aid info is up yet.

Anyone else get an email to set up UMID? I can log into SURFS, but no financial aid info is up yet.
I did not get one, but have reached out to the office of admissions

"You should receive your financial aid package by this Friday. I believe there was a delay in getting the packages finalized but I’m pretty sure you will receive an email by Friday. I know for a fact that the staff of the Office of Financial Aid are working hard to get the packages sent out.

I apologize for the lack of communication."

Update: it is this Saturday now rather than Friday...

Wait so did everyone get this email about a log in because I did not

I got accepted in November and heard about merit scholarship just today so it might take a while since it came in snail mail!

Just checked my SURF account and my financial aid was listed

I'm classified as in-state but SURF listed my COA as $71,688. Isn't this the price for OOS?